• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

Deku Tree

Remember when we had to wait for xur to offer us a ReXurbish for your exotic and then you got your leveling progress reset and we spent hours running in circles at the Gatekeepers to grind glimmer to ReXurBish everything before Xur left because horrible low glimmer cap?

Calling it now, major negatives getting announced tomorrow for upgrades & transitioning our materials to year 2. They sold Gjally last Friday to build goodwill.

E92 M3

Ok.... was getting pretty panicky, even loading my characters on Bungie.net wouldn't work for a while and showed nothing....

I managed to check through everything (I think), and it looks like it's all there. I'm not sure what the hell happened... but I think I'm good.

Going to double check.... cause you know... OCD and all

I knew you'd be fine.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The problem with Light levels wasn't really the fact that you needed better gear to do harder content. It was that getting gear which met these requirements was totally random and beyond your control. It was luck based. The Dark Below fixed this to a certain extent with significantly higher drop rates for raid armor vs. VoG.

But since HoW, the Light system isn't really punishing. If you start playing today, you can roadmap your progress to level 35 very neatly. Vendor armor - without any upgrades required - takes you to level 32. At 32, you can earn PoE gear, which goes up to 34. No randomness. Coupled with Etheric alight and Exotics, it's a damn flexible system.

So to be honest, the whole problem with Light Level gating of content is largely solved. There's no #forever33. The system allows for predictable, measurable progression which only depends on luck if you wanna speed up (via Etheric Light), but worst-case scenario is 4 resets doing PoE 32 for max level. Done.

The problem now is far less serious. It's petty, even. While the current system works, is flexible, non-random and leaves nobody behind...it's messy.

Making armor give us a more traditional concept of Armor stat (proxy via Light) makes it far easier to understand what the stat does. As in, it's not my level - it's my armor/attack.

Doing away with the completely uninterpretable "I have 1578 Defense" and changing it to "____ Light" makes more sense.
Ocean you're so good at this breakdown shit. I am no longer worried about new light system.

daedalius

Thinking current exotics will need the blueprint to be upgraded to year 2 status. Also probably requires the original exotic, and then some upgrade material.

Common thing I've seen in the past in WoW.

Until the hard raid is gated off by maximum light level. Then it becomes the same. i mean obviously that wouldn't do that and this system is better because it gives you more options to level up but a simple mistake like making the gates too hard to reach could end up in backlash.

i think the light level will be like iten level on wow, it will determine how powerfull your gears is and will lock some content if you don have enought power to do it

LTWood12

I also remember when Patience and Time was called

closing_time_desktop.jpg

I know who I want to take me home.

Average of Attack and Defense across all equipped gear. That screen shows 10 equipped items: primary weapon, special weapon, heavy weapon, Ghost shell, helmet, gauntlets, armor, boots, class item, artifact (I think?). So presumably, all or most will contribute to light level and you can progress with any of them.

I think it's better -more flexible - unless you have to max them all for some activity. That would be bad.

Hmm, interesting. I guess this means that leveling new weapons will drag down our level then.

X-Frame

The problem with Light levels wasn't really the fact that you needed better gear to do harder content. It was that getting gear which met these requirements was totally random and beyond your control. It was luck based. The Dark Below fixed this to a certain extent with significantly higher drop rates for raid armor vs. VoG.

But since HoW, the Light system isn't really punishing. If you start playing today, you can roadmap your progress to level 35 very neatly. Vendor armor - without any upgrades required - takes you to level 32. At 32, you can earn PoE gear, which goes up to 34. No randomness. Coupled with Etheric alight and Exotics, it's a damn flexible system.

So to be honest, the whole problem with Light Level gating of content is largely solved. There's no #forever33. The system allows for predictable, measurable progression which only depends on luck if you wanna speed up (via Etheric Light), but worst-case scenario is 4 resets doing PoE 32 for max level. Done.

The problem now is far less serious. It's petty, even. While the current system works, is flexible, non-random and leaves nobody behind...it's messy.

Making armor give us a more traditional concept of Armor stat (proxy via Light) makes it far easier to understand what the stat does. As in, it's not my level - it's my armor/attack.

Doing away with the completely uninterpretable "I have 1578 Defense" and changing it to "____ Light" makes more sense.

Datto theorized that this would solve the biggest issue with being under-leveled where before if you are just 1 level below you are severely nerfed in terms of damage output and taking more damage.

Now, if they go be recommended Light level then the differences between say 10 Light would be a lot smaller so even if you're somewhat below the recommended Light level you may still do 95% damage as opposed to going from 100% damage at same level to 70% damage from just 1 level below. It won't be as punishing.

Frenden

Banned
I have all vault space and character weapon slots filled with dupe exotics or legendaries to hold until TTK except for a few heavy weapon slots. I can't even transfer items without dismantling a primary or special.

I hope we get a goodly amount of legendary marks for each legendary. Makes the hassle of being full up worth it later.

I have all vault space and character weapon slots filled with dupe exotics or legendaries to hold until TTK except for a few heavy weapon slots. I can't even transfer items without dismantling a primary or special.

I hope we get a goodly amount of legendary marks for each legendary. Makes the hassle of being full up worth it later.

Hopefully van amd crucible marks are instantly converted. Maxed on all characters right now

What's the use of all these dupe exotics?

stb

The drip of stuff is so good; gosh, they're clever.

I just hope the "week before" patch enables some of the goodies like with HoW. That week was so fun and exciting for everyone. Friends list was packed, patrol areas were busy, shit was happening everywhere.

For the exotics, if they really are managed independently of your vault, that will be great. Between that, removing emblems/shaders, and slimming down the number of materials, there's going to be a lot of empty vault space.

The cherry on top would be if they merged all the vault slots and let us self organize.

Top Bottom