• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

I hear ya. I was ready to quit in the Vanilla era after running VoG 7 times and only ever getting gauntlets. That felt punitive to me. But we've come a long way since then.

For sure! I love seeing how far we've come in Year 1 alone. And now TTK completely surpasses that, or so it seems.

Just a list of some memories:
  1. Grinding Planetary Mats via Patrols
  2. Only Carrying 5 Bounties
  3. Having to go to the tower each time to transfer gear/weapons/mats (and having to change characters to transfer stuff)
  4. Not being able to exchange mats for other mats, especially shards/energy
  5. Not being able to Lock items
  6. Having only 1 social space
  7. Having to use auto rifles in iron banner
  8. No matchmaking for weekly heroics
  9. having to relevel exotics
  10. Smaller vault
  11. 25 synths per slot (or was it 20?)

I'm sure I forgot some but these were amazing changes.

flkraven

Light level is just item level now. Higher item level means you have better attack and defense. If your item level is slightly lower than the recommended, you will probably do fine, it might just not be quite as easy.

Light level was super arbitrary, being one level lower than your target made you massively ineffective.

This is what I'm thinking. Before if an activity required level 34 light level, it was basically impossible to do at 32 and difficult at 33. It didn't matter if you were 32 and 3/4 etc etc. Now the recommended cut off can be like 200 with people at 198 or 197 not really doing any worse than people at 200 or 201.

Since they are just totaling up all the light you have, our current gear would bring us up to what, 168 light? Also, I wonder if certain activities will not include light level (ie. Iron banner doesn't account for light level, or light level only comes into play on raids, strikes, nightfalls, etc)

Klyka

Banned
honestly I dont see the difference in practice of the old light level system and the new one. the goal is to hit the cap, Im assuming there is going to be a light level cap just like before.

the only difference is you can see some level of progress as you get their. seems like smoke and mirrors to me. the level grind to 40 is akin to "keep going, your doing great!" kind of like the earl grind of 20-24. each new rare piece that had that 1 extra light on it.

dont mean to sounds negetive just trying to wrap my brain around this

The difference is that the new light level is a "recommended" light level.
It's not a limit. You can apparently do 350 light level missions with only 250 light level but it'll be hard as hell.
Now the only limit whether you can actually join a mission/activity seems to be your physical level (max 40) and whether you have it unlocked.

They don't want people to not even be able to join their friends cause they had bad drop luck or something

LTWood12

For sure! I love seeing how far we've come in Year 1 alone. And now TTK completely surpasses that, or so it seems.

3. Having to go to the tower each time to transfer gear/weapons/mats (and having to change characters to transfer stuff)
  10. Smaller vault

Just reminded of the great heavy synth famine of Winter 2015.

But they were doing the activity at the level it was intended for. I don't understand this line of thinking at all.

Crota's End HM was tuned for a group of level 32's to beat it. Lots of groups of level 32 guardians beat it. It wasn't hard once you got through the mechanics. Don't look at the 33.. Look at the tuning. The 33 just tells you what level the enemies are.

Skolas is tuned for groups of 34 to beat him. Lots do. He isn't profoundly difficult, and on some weeks with certain modifiers, he's actually pretty easy. The reason more groups don't run him consistently is because Prison of Elders has a weird ass time/loot ratio and in the mind of a lot of folks, the stuff Skolas drops isn't really any better than the gear they got out of VoG/CE already.

Yes now he is. Before, being underleveled + burn was just over the top stupid. Especially Arc Burn. Solar burn was next. The changes made now made the encounter fun. But yes as you said, the drops aren't the greatest so most people don't seem the need to do them. Some people just think playing at a level disadvantage is not cool for whatever the reason they believe and that's their opinion.

To me, if an encounter is fun, it's fun and I really don't care how.

daedalius

This is what I'm thinking. Before if an activity required level 34 light level, it was basically impossible to do at 32 and difficult at 33. It didn't matter if you were 32 and 3/4 etc etc. Now the recommended cut off can be like 200 with people at 198 or 197 not really doing any worse than people at 200 or 201.

Since they are just totaling up all the light you have, our current gear would bring us up to what, 168 light? Also, I wonder if certain activities will not include light level (ie. Iron banner doesn't account for light level, or light level only comes into play on raids, strikes, nightfalls, etc)

Exactly.

Also the light level shit didn't make sense to a lot of people. Now, its basically just like diablo/WoW/any other RPG.

I don't necessarily think level disadvantages are dumb, because I played WoW and raided forever, and bosses were 3 levels higher; but in that game it didn't outright HANDICAP your damage output significantly because of the level gap.

Destiny level gap is just dumb, its not FUN to fight against Major Captains that are a level higher than you.

I hope the light level requirements for activities and their penalties/bonuses are more clear. For example, each point of light we are under a recommended level for an activity, we take 10% more damage, and deal 10% less; cannot participate if we are >10 points below the level of the activity. It would signal a clear soft gear check and the penalty for entering it without optimal gear.

Doubt it.

There won't be any sort of hard penalty for being at a lower item level, it just won't be as easy as if you were at the recommended item level.

GhaleonEB

I hope the light level requirements for activities and their penalties/bonuses are more clear. For example, each point of light we are under a recommended level for an activity, we take 10% more damage, and deal 10% less; cannot participate if we are >10 points below the level of the activity. It would signal a clear soft gear check and the penalty for entering it without optimal gear.

10. Smaller vault

so much has changed since launch, heres a few more

the loot cave
forever 29
vanguard and crucible commendations
cryptarch trollery
Blades of crota on patrol
pack of wolves prowling
pushing both atheon and templar of cliffs
unplugging your Ethernet cable to beat crota (this was disgraceful)
GAF implodes due to the difficulty of Scrota
Original queens wrath bounties
That First Vault of Glass run, AMAZING

Exactly.

Also the light level shit didn't make sense to a lot of people. Now, its basically just like diablo/WoW/any other RPG.

I don't necessarily think level disadvantages are dumb, because I played WoW and raided forever, and bosses were 3 levels higher; but in that game it didn't outright HANDICAP your damage output significantly because of the level gap.

Destiny level gap is just dumb, its not FUN to fight against Major Captains that are a level higher than you.

Exactly the point I was also trying to make. It won't make that much different being Lt388 on a Lt400 mission, and you can make that difference up between all or most of your gear. Versus just 1 piece.

so much has changed since launch, heres a few more

the loot cave
forever 29
vanguard and crucible commendations
cryptarch trollery
Blades of crota on patrol
pack of wolves prowling
pushing both atheon and templar of cliffs
unplugging your Ethernet cable to beat crota (this was disgraceful)
GAF implodes due to the difficulty of Scrota
Original queens wrath bounties
That First Vault of Glass run, AMAZING

Just reminded of the great heavy synth famine of Winter 2015.

Hahaha and LT & Vaal reminded me of another 2:
Heavy Ammo Glitch
Losing Heavy on Wipe

omg, I cant believe I forgot that. it was so bad. especially since it was when HM crota was at its peak, and each wipe, and there were a few, was usually another heavy ammo pack.

Oh shit. If one person died he lose everything. I don't remember the dark days. It makes me sad :(

phen0m24

omg, I cant believe I forgot that. it was so bad. especially since it was when HM crota was at its peak, and each wipe, and there were a few dozen, was usually another heavy ammo pack.

FTFY

Guys, guys, guys, can we please please not forget the epic 12 hour HM Crota which brought Firehawk into the spotlight
and Unknown to tears lol
with

TEAM EPIC
scrub
SAX

GhaleonEB

Doubt it.

There won't be any sort of hard penalty for being at a lower item level, it just won't be as easy as if you were at the recommended item level.

That's exactly how it works now, just with larger incremental penalties for being under leveled. My hope is that with a more granular requirement (i.e. 200 Light vs. level of 34), the penalties are also more granular. So falling 3 Light under the bar would not be as punishing as being 3 levels under is now.

It would allow for more wiggle room.

vctor182

What is the heavy ammo glitch? How can you get heavy ammo to reliably drop?

- Equip Ice Breaker
- Burn your normal and heavy weapon ammo
- Kill enemies with Ice Breaker
- ???
- Profit

img_8123_destiny-unlimited-heavy-ammo-how-to-get-heavy-ammo-w-out-synthesis-heavy-ammo-glitch-292x242.jpg

daedalius

That's exactly how it works now, just with larger incremental penalties for being under leveled. My hope is that with a more granular requirement (i.e. 200 Light vs. level of 34), the penalties are also more granular. So falling 3 Light under the bar would not be as punishing as being 3 levels under is now.

It would allow for more wiggle room.

I'm sure it will be much more granular, and it definitely wouldn't be 10% per light level, that is just ridiculous.

The only time there are item level requirements in WoW is in matchmade activities, the rest of the time you need to figure out how much gear you need to complete different things; and if you're good, you can complete everything while being massively under-geared.

Top Bottom