• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT28| Nolan Beyond

btDt5Sm.gif

and the day is starting off with the Twitch stream and the first episode of One Piece.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ^_^

Im so proud of you (starting One Piece), it starts a bit slow but its worth it :)

Owensboro

Noomi posted this earlier in the thread. You'll need to tell us your Twitch user so we can send you an invite.

Okay good, so I'm not insane. Someone said they sent me an invite earlier and I still haven't seen it show up. Can someone else try again?

Name: OwensboroEsq
or, if capitalization matters: owensboroesq

I really just want to know how the new mechanics work so I don't screw myself over. For example, if you need 2 exotics to make a super exotic I don't want to shard my dupe last word.

Yeah, there are lots of things to consider. I want to know about vanguard and crucible marks, are they going to disappear when TTK launches? will they be converted to Legendary marks? Id like to know in advance so I can use them on Mats or guns or something if there just going away.

Yeah, there are lots of things to consider. I want to know about vanguard and crucible marks, are they going to disappear when TTK launches? will they be converted to Legendary marks? Id like to know in advance so I can use them on Mats or guns or something if there just going away.

Same here. I'm full of each on each character pretty much.

I know everybody is really excited for this Twitch stream or whatever it is coming up but I feel like I have to express an unpopular opinion...

Why do we want all this info, really? Why is it good to have as much information about a game you're getting as possible, before it comes out? .

I can only speak for myself but I want to know about Destiny specifically because I don't want another vanilla letdown. If there is some mechanic that is annoying or user unfriendly, it will help to know about sooner rather than later.

In a more general sense, I don't like watching movie trailers. Sometimes they give away too much. I like going in as fresh as possible. For The Last of Us, I went in knowing it was post apocalyptic and about a man and girl. That's it, no expectations. I like to go in like that for every game/movie/show.

Back to Destiny though, this is a game that is already out. Its not our first jump into this universe. I went into vanilla Destiny with little expectations and had only played the Beta a little.

I know everybody is really excited for this Twitch stream or whatever it is coming up but I feel like I have to express an unpopular opinion...

Why do we want all this info, really? Why is it good to have as much information about a game you're getting as possible, before it comes out?

Now, if you're approaching this from the angle of making a decision as to whether or not you will purchase it- informing you as a consumer, to be able to gauge whether or not it's worth the money you haven't yet spent- I totally get it. It makes sense to consume as much media as it takes and get as much information as needed to be confident about your decision.

But I know for a fact that many if not most of you are already buying The Taken King. Wherefore cometh the desire to know as much as possible about it before getting to play it? Is it the concept that having a "headstart" (not having to learn as much when you actually first play) is more valuable than being surprised? Or is it more of a compulsion, like you can't not learn as much information as is available, whether or not you want to?

It's totally not unique to Destiny by any stretch of the imagination. I run into this all over the gaming world with games I'm invested in, and in movies too to some extent, and it always baffles me.

I know I can't be that much older than the average age in this thread- does anyone else remember what it used to be like when a game you were interested in came out? Before gaming was the kind of industry that could command video interviews with developers and users didn't expect full spec sheets (how many levels? how many weapons? how many maps? how long will it take to beat?) to be standard fare even months before release. To this day I still love the feeling of sitting down with something new to explore and having barely any idea of what to expect. I feel like we stopped chasing that feeling- in fact, you'll have gamers get seriously upset and feel like it reflects very poorly on a game if you don't have an incredibly clear and detailed idea of what's coming before you play it- and even though I understand a lot of things about the industry, I don't understand this one.

Although I agree with what you are saying and I would prefer to not be given so much information, one of the big things about destiny is the community I play with. I know that at 8pm BST I will jump on and join one of my clans party chats. And we will discuss everything. This is as fun for me as going in blind. I hope there are more secrets they don't reveal but if they didn't release this much information I would be just as happy

No matter what happens I am avoiding this place on launch day until I've ran the story once and exploded the dreadnought. Same deal when the raid is released.

Tjamato88

So close to my 32. I'm gonna grind out some patrols or strikes tonight to get my Vanguard rank up. I could probably do the NF too since I'm at 31 and some of you kind folks wanted to help out.

I should be on later tonight probably around 11 EST.

aarcane

Can someone send me an invite to the twitch chat? Name is DanthehackXBL

Also, is there any room left on the hypenaught?

Juraash

For me, it's mostly for the purpose of prep. This game is close enough to an MMO that this type of information is valuable. What can you do to prepare for the expansion? How can you best set your character up for launch? I'm not even looking to power to 40 but I do want to know if I should be blowing strange coins with Xur still or how exotics cary over. Also is infusion a form of transmog? Should I keep armor that looks cool so I can customize my guardian's look?

So for me, it's more about how can I make the next few weeks both fun and beneficial to my long term enjoyment of the game. I want to play the game but I'd like to focus on things that still have a benefit when TTK hits.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm more interested in QoL changes being made and what to expect regarding rerolling weapons/armor. I'm also interested to changes to PVP as I spend 90% of my time there.

Regarding spoilers on the amount of levels and walkthroughs of PVP maps I have zero interest.
Right, I get that players are interested in lots of different aspects. I'm asking why you want all this information before it comes out
Honestly, I just want that educational leg up so to speak. I want get get myself ready for the new progression. The sooner we can run the new raid, the better
So that's the headstart thing I mentioned. I guess I can understand that. I prefer to discover things on my own a lot of the time I guess, even if they're just mechanical or system-related. I guess I feel like I wind up understanding them better that way too.
edit:
For me, it's mostly for the purpose of prep. This game is close enough to an MMO that this type of information is valuable. What can you do to prepare for the expansion? How can you best set your character up for launch? I'm not even looking to power to 40 but I do want to know if I should be blowing strange coins with Xur still or how exotics cary over. Also is infusion a form of transmog? Should I keep armor that looks cool so I can customize my guardian's look?

So for me, it's more about how can I make the next few weeks both fun and beneficial to my long term enjoyment of the game. I want to play the game but I'd like to focus on things that still have a benefit when TTK hits.
Same thing here^

Thanks for the answers guys, it's very interesting stuff for me.

For the record I've been keeping stuff that looks cool "just in case" since launch XD
Cryptarch sweaties tonight Hawkian?
I don't know what that is... "sweaties" stuff probably isn't a good fit for me though.
I don't like to make blind purchases and as a Destiny fan I'd like to know what is changing. I'd rather just play it but it's a long ways away.
So you haven't bought it yet- that makes a lot of sense to me as I was trying to say. My bad, I meant to specifically ask people who had already put money down, like I have.

Dalek

I've just got back into the game, and my Titan is level 31. I should have enough marks tonight to get a new helmet to start leveling that up and increase my level.

How realistic do you think it will be for me to finish the last 3 Moments of Triumph I need in the next 20 days:

Bane of Skolas
Bane of Atheon
Bane of Crota

But the numbers that they reach for these reveals is absolutely insane for a game like this. They reached 300k i think for the reef reveal. And TTK is even more hyped, i think they are gonna break that record.
I don't doubt you.
As much as Gamingside hates this game. It's incredibly popular.

Tjamato88

I've just got back into the game, and my Titan is level 31. I should have enough marks tonight to get a new helmet to start leveling that up and increase my level.

How realistic do you think it will be for me to finish the last 3 Moments of Triumph I need in the next 20 days:

Bane of Skolas
Bane of Atheon
Bane of Crota
I feel like you could finish those pretty quickly especially if you've already run the raids on NM.

I don't know what that is... "sweaties" stuff probably isn't a good fit for me though.

custom matches with gaffers. you go to the cryptarch, buy one of everything he has, ONLY one, and you have to equip it, fill in anything missing form your inventory from the vangaurd/ gunsmith. then we play crucible with the garbage we got. Custom matches so we only play with other gaffers, merryment and laughs are sure to be had

I dont know why its called Sweaties, ask EJ

Kyoufu

Bane of Skolas
Bane of Atheon
Bane of Crota

You can be Sherpa'd through VoG and CE for the latter two right now, but for Skolas you will need to be at least 34 so you can be Sherpa'd through that. Should be easily doable with the help of DGAF.

deoee

Bane of Skolas
Bane of Atheon
Bane of Crota

I was in the same spot, have done all of this in 2 weeks thanks to GAF :)

Skolas is hard on 33 but when Drizzay is on your side... Skolas has no fun :D

X-Frame

My office WiFi and/or cell LTE better hold up for this stream.

I have a feeling I will be watching a slideshow then watching vicariously through all of you though.

bitsurugi

Right, I get that players are interested in lots of different aspects. I'm asking why you want all this information before it comes out

So that's the headstart thing I mentioned. I guess I can understand that. I prefer to discover things on my own a lot of the time I guess, even if they're just mechanical or system-related. I guess I feel like I wind up understanding them better that way too.

Personally i would love them to give me SOME info in advance, but exclusively related to system changes that affact my gameplay (ingame) decisions from now till release, example:

- sharding useless stuff now, only to discover it will become very valuable after TTK releases

- crucible changes

- weapon balance changes or thoughts

- other stuff which would require community reception feedback

- raid release date

Nothing on story. Nothing major, which would hurt the fun in discoverying after TTK releases.

I know it's hard to do achieve all of the above. I hope they get as near as possible though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
custom matches with gaffers. you go to the cryptarch, buy one of everything he has, ONLY one, and you have to equip it, fill in anything missing form your inventory from the vangaurd/ gunsmith. then we play crucible with the garbage we got. Custom matches so we only play with other gaffers, merryment and laughs are sure to be had

I dont know why its called Sweaties, ask EJ
Ohh, that actually sounds like a blast. I'm definitely in, I'm supposed to Nightfall with xplicit and deoee but other than that

Bane of Skolas
Bane of Atheon
Bane of Crota

Once you get to level 34, plenty of people will help you get that stuff done.

Get to 32 and do the PoE32 so you can get another piece of light 42 gear. Maybe some trials this weekend will net you some 42 light gear also if you're into that.

But yeah, you have plenty of time. You should be fine.

Top Bottom