• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if anyone saw on stream, but I lost a 1v1 on this area of Bannerfall. I was on the Red Circle using the Jewel of Osiris and the other guy was on the Blue Circle using one of those high impact pulse rifles. Correction: it was a Scout Rifle. The player was able to kill me in 3 shots before I could fire 3 shots off.

daa961f601a2f588610cdf615b3d1950.jpg

Where's the Hand Cannon niche?

I did for the heck of it the Vanilalla abandonned Quests to see what I get back and so far only the Stranger's Call Black Garden Quest nets you anything of signifcance for replaying those... a Stranger's Rifle.

The only reason why anyone would replay the old Eris mission is if they sharded their Murmur and want one back

Frenden

Banned
I don't know if anyone saw on stream, but I lost a 1v1 on this area of Bannerfall. I was on the Red Circle using the Jewel of Osiris and the other guy was on the Blue Circle using one of those high impact pulse rifles.

There isn't one. I'm pretty bummed by this meta so far (I do just as well with high impact PRs, but don't find them as fun as HCs).

Ikkarus

I actually welcome the new wave of weapons which have come forward this week. It's been refreshing to see old weapons which never got used (Monte Carlo, Bad JuJu, Necro) found in crucible.

Next week will be even better when a whole new bunch of weapons get released and literally everyone will be play testing.

Bring it on.

1.2 was bad - let's not soon forget - but this didn't fix it properly.

It was nice to see people experiment throughout the week, but everyone has quickly discovered that high impact pulse rifles are the king and now the game is essentially the same with different skins. That's fantastic news for Pulse Rifle users, but for everyone else it only foreshadows another season of power creep.

I got so sick of the HC meta a couple months ago and switched to Messenger, it quickly became my main squeeze so I know it very well. Due to the added recoil its not as easy to get the 2 burst kills as it used to be if that makes you feel any better. I agree though, right now PR are king and I'm happy because it's all I normally used anyway. MIDA is the shit too, Scholar on the large maps.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
The massive sound glitches on the tower and especially poe are starting to get to me. They better fix this asap

All this talk about old meta, new meta. Seems like the talk is treating this game like a business or something.

Its getting depressing, really.

all we're referring to is the tiers of weapons and classes in the Crucible, and how the game is being played. it's an important discussion since it pertains to player choices and the overall loot chasing of the game.

I don't know if anyone saw on stream, but I lost a 1v1 on this area of Bannerfall. I was on the Red Circle using the Jewel of Osiris and the other guy was on the Blue Circle using one of those high impact pulse rifles. Correction: it was a Scout Rifle. The player was able to kill me in 3 shots before I could fire 3 shots off.

rip.

i miss using TLW, gun was so much fun.

all we're referring to is the tiers of weapons and classes in the Crucible, and how the game is being played. it's an important discussion since it pertains to player choices and the overall loot chasing of the game.

From what I can see it just seems like less of a discussion and more of an airing of grievances. Sure, that's discussion too, but it's the depressing kind.

But don't mind me. Just saying my piece.

Well, if Bungie wants my two cents (which they don't if that tweet was anything to go by), I'd do the following (all TTKs are for their effective ranges):

Auto Rifles:
  • Low Impact Tier/Fast RoF - 18-21 shots to kill
  • Medium Impact/Medium RoF Tier - 12-15 shots to kill
  • High Impact/Slow RoF Tier - 8-10 shots to kill

Hand Cannons:
  • Low Impact Tier/Fast RoF - 4 headshots to kill (3 with damage perks)
  • Medium Impact/Medium RoF Tier - 3 headshots to kill
  • High Impact/Slow RoF Tier - 3 headshots to kill (2 with damage perks)

Pulse Rifle:
  • Low Impact/Fast RoF Tier - 5 bursts to kill (4 if all bullets hit the head)
  • Medium Impact/Medium RoF Tier - 4 bursts to kill (3 if all bullets hit the head)
  • High Impact/Slow RoF Tier - 3 bursts to kill (2 if all bullets hit the head)

Scout Rifles:
  • Low Impact/Fast RoF Tier - 6 headshots to kill
  • Medium Impact/Slow RoF Tier - 5 headshots to kill
  • High Impact/Slow RoF Tier - 4 headshots to kill

Obviously none of those numbers are tested, but the idea is for every weapon to have the optimal kill time in its effective range, but require precision to do so. If a HC user is accurate, they shouldn't be losing to Pulses or Scouts in their effective range. Similarly, a Hand Cannon will take more shots to kill and be harder to aim at Scout Rifle ranges, which gives the Scout Rifle the advantage.

Kaversmed

All this talk about old meta, new meta. Seems like the talk is treating this game like a business or something.

Its getting depressing, really.

I feel you. Auto Rifles are supposedly the worst primary weapon, but somehow I'm doing even better now than with the Thorn... and I'm using a legendary AR (Low Down P-XIV).

Edit: My point is, don't listen to people on what the "best" weapon type is, just try them all out and go with one that feels good to you. The weapons are actually very balanced imo, so it's basically nitpicking at this point.

Frenden

Banned
I have opinions on the game that I've been playing for 1000s of hours--no big surprise there.

I'm not sure why pointing out areas where balance seems off is depressing.

The old meta was bad, but I can honestly say I had more fun. I wanted change, just not what we have right now.
Had this same thought this morning when playing some crucible. Just not having as much fun with pulse rifles and shotguns being the dominant force.

Really hoping that all changes with a landslide of new weapons and perks next week.

Trace

Banned
Well, if Bungie wants my two cents (which they don't if that tweet was anything to go by), I'd do the following (all TTKs are for their effective ranges):

Auto Rifles:
  • Low Impact Tier/Fast RoF - 18-21 shots to kill
  • Medium Impact/Medium RoF Tier - 12-15 shots to kill
  • High Impact/Slow RoF Tier - 8-10 shots to kill

Hand Cannons:
  • Low Impact Tier/Fast RoF - 4 headshots to kill
  • Medium Impact/Medium RoF Tier - 3 headshots to kill
  • High Impact/Slow RoF Tier - 2 headshots to kill

Pulse Rifle:
  • Low Impact/Fast RoF Tier - 5 bursts to kill
  • Medium Impact/Medium RoF Tier - 4 bursts to kill
  • High Impact/Slow RoF Tier - 3 bursts to kill (2 if all bullets hit the head)

Scout Rifles:
  • Low Impact/Fast RoF Tier - 6 headshots to kill
  • Medium Impact/Slow RoF Tier - 5 headshots to kill
  • High Impact/Slow RoF Tier - 4 headshots to kill

Obviously none of those numbers are tested, but the ideal is for every weapon to have the optimal kill time in its effective range, but require precision to do so. If a HC user is accurate, they shouldn't be losing to Pulses or Scouts in their effective range. Similarly, a Hand Cannon will take more shots to kill and be harder to aim at Scout Rifle ranges, which gives the Scout Rifle the advantage.

Your love of Hand Cannons is showing. There would be no reason to ever use anything other than Hand Cannons if it was a guaranteed 2 shot on any high-impact.

Your love of Hand Cannons is showing. There would be no reason to ever use anything other than Hand Cannons if it was a guaranteed 2 shot on any high-impact.

Timur's Lash is a 2 shot kill, is it not? I don't rememer the last time I saw a Timur's Lash.

I don't use those Hand Cannons because they're too slow.

noomi

Im ok with where auto rifles stand right now, very fun for PvE and not completely useless for PvP.

Used the Suros in Crotas End and it was doing some serious work for me.

Frenden

Banned
I have been using Red Death and it seems to be the best choice for my playstyle (more-aggressive, less passive, less conducive to long-distance pot-shotting with a high impact PR).

MIDA has never clicked for me, but I probably haven't given it enough of a chance. I see a lot of folks with it as their primary of choice now.

Timur's Lash is a 2 shot kill, is it not? I don't rememer the last time I saw a Timur's Lash.

I don't use those Hand Cannons because they're too slow.

I think it was only a 2-shot kill on no-armor upgraded targets.

Is it actually gonna be different though? Besides a higher attack value...

Doesn't look like it.

This pulse rifle shit is worse than Hand Cannons IMO.

Well, nothing's worse than age of Thorn but Pulse Rifles are as bad as Autos were.

I'm just thankful that most people are choosing to compliment their Pulse with a Shotgun instead of with a sniper, because a Pulse/Scout Rifle + Sniper rifle meta is my worst possible nightmare, the camping that would go on in games would put the campfests that currently go on in Rift to shame. That would be the end of Destiny PvP for me tbh, I wouldn't touch it again once it became like that.

Yeah, you're right, PvP is the most balanced it's been since launch, but lord is it boring to watch and play. Sweaties aren't very fun to watch anymore, the pace of them has slowed down considerably now that everyone is rocking Pulse's and Scouts, the Warrior playstyle has become extinct.

Say what you want about Thorn + Blink Shotgun meta and how unfair and cheap it was, but the top players turned it into an entertaining art form which was fantastic to behold. Hopefully the new guns will allow both the warrior and passive play to thrive, that would be true balance.
I just hate how rigid they force you to play. Bungie has done the PR justice but damn, how can I go back to basically playing Halo-lite once I tasted how awesome and fast paced TLW made this game. I feel like HCs (well TLW at least) where indicative of this game's true spirit of fun instead of this slow ass burst junk.

Like I legit feel like I'm fucked now when I play solo because PRs encourage team shotting and forcing you to play with others and taking things super safe in order have a chance. Yes it encourages team work but I hate that I feel handicapped to use a bland workhorse PR because others couldn't get over the skill gap for TLW.

People can complain about TLW all the want but it wasn't the easy mode the way Thorn was. If you killed me with TLW I trust you knew what you were doing instead of being a lazy cheapo with Thorn. It's a shame I see so few up in arms about TLW's death and swaths of people on Reddit and the like are all "GJ Bungie, Crucible feels so good and balanced now trollface.jpg".

If I'm being honest, it's the dudes who didn't main TLW in the first place (aka most of the population) who are the only ones that are happy.

It just boggles my mind that THORN is still usable at close to mid, while TLW has been rekt to shit.

I've said it before but even if my team was shit I could count on TLW to let me destroy individual targets, and now good luck doing that against a team of competent PR users with your own slow ass PR.

Again, none of this is a problem with competent teammates but that is not the case at all with randoms in this game. Next to Titanfall, I feel like this is one of the bigger FPSes where you see maybe one or two dudes who destroy on the leaderboards and a whole bunch of -0.9 guys.

Damn yo, I'm just salty asf, I feel like Batman and my Robin has been murdered and now I got this fat, slow Robin who is so sloooooow to react.

Ayyyyy dis rant felt good tho. #notsorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom