• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

equil

If anyone wants to run a nightfall add me PSN:Equilist.

My friend has the faction quest so we going to be doing alot of them.

taco543

tFlQCDb.jpg

So mercy rule...

Played several hours of Rift on Xbox, my thoughts:

• New maps seem pretty good. I still don't understand the layout of Frontier but finally figured out Vertigo is in a U-shape. Overall they are an improvement from Vanilla maps.
  • Thorn is still a beast, it feels almost exactly the same as it did before patch
  • Auto rifles are better, but are still B-tier weapons due to the high TTK and poor range. I tried a maxed Hard Light, a partially upgraded Suros, and the Summoner, and seemed to do best with Summoner.
  • Vex seems like a mess, it seems to be worse than before, at least with Aggressive Ballistics; I need to re-try it with Smart Drift Control but it seems to me like the nerf to Send It hurts it considerably.
  • Hopscotch Pilgrim with Reactive Reload/Braced Frame/Outlaw still wrecks (just like a 55A-Allfate would with the same perks) so I'm not completely salty about the nerf since I was never able to get my Allfate to roll that perkset.
  • Stranger's rifle isn't nearly as good as it was before, now that Fitted Stock and Accurized Ballistics are nerfed.
  • TLW is just okay now. Seems to take more shots to put someone down, I feel like more of my hipfire misses. Was using Soft Ballistics+Perfect Balance.
  • With the other pulse rifles kicking more, my old Spare Change.25 with Braced Frame/Counterbalance doesn't feel as bad as it used to. I hope I can get a new version of this to drop with those perks, although without re-rolling I guess it will be a lot harder.
  • Felwinter's archetype shotguns don't really feel any different to me at all, playing on my Titan and therefore not trying any blink-shotgun tricks. My Matador 64 with Kneepads and Shot Package was still quite good.
  • I ran around with universal remote and a sniper for the lols and got a positive K/D, I think it's still subpar though. Might be better with a blade dancer using Quick Draw, the handling speed on universal remote feels slow without Snapshot and using that kills the range from Hammer Forged.

they definitely didn't do much to the shotguns. Felwinters is exactly the same to me

Did they explain getting rid of reforge? Why do they do things they know will piss off a large amount of players?

it's an easy decision. it made everyone use the exact same weapons in crucible, and it ruined legendary drops in general because you only needed one of each archetype.

i don't think many people will be pissed.

GhaleonEB

Dan is a great guy. Built some of the best Halo 3/ODST/Reach missions (New Alexandria was his baby) and the Vault of Glass. Dude is a legend in my book.

Continuing my romp through the campaign as a fledgling Warlock. There is a very strong sense of perpetual progress forward now, which was the case with the shipping game for your class progress. But it wasn't the case with the story, which often went sideways to a series of seemingly random, unconnected missions. Now, there's a feeling that story is advancing, which is impressive given Bungie didn't actually change the missions themselves.

The "quest glue" as I've come to call it has gone a long way. I enjoyed how Eris shows utter contempt for the Vanguard and considers them ignorant of the real threat right under their noses, once the World's Grave is found. You can see them building her character and relationship with the Vanguard early, as it's similar to her tone with them in the cinematic trailers we've seen for TTK.

Injecting the Dark Below missions and quest line at level 10 or so of player progress gave the Hive story line a greater sense of forward motion, and also the campaign some much needed mission variety. The shipping game's repeated siege encounters really do grate over time and having that broken up with the better designed TDB missions helps a lot. Looking forward to seeing where House of Wolves ends up in the story.

There's also a clear pattern of keeping two major story quest lines active at once, so you have the option of toggling between them at your leisure. It creates a feeling of the game always having multple paths forward, and that's setting aside the strikes that unlock, and the other side quests (patrols and subclass quests, etc.). The game simply feels big and busy now.

Given the ease with which the new bounties are completed, and the number you can pile up, I'm outpacing the recommended level for the story missions without trying to, running level 10 content as a level 12 and then 13 Warlock. My other characters used to do the heroic missions, playing 1-2 levels over my character, for a challenge and some bonus XP. I miss the challenge greatly.

I did notice something when completing these missions, though. Destiny now appears to scale the XP you get in them to your level. Where I was getting ~2k in XP per mission yesterday, one got me 1307 tonight. I'm guessing it's a function of relative level and possibly light to scale down the XP reward and so slow your leveling, to get you back on track with the mission pacing. A good method, but I'd still prefer to have the option of a harder mission setting.

All in all 2.0 has done wonders for the base game. Players stepping into it now are getting a vastly superior experience to what shipped last year. I'm still a bit awed with how Bungie went back and revised the old content. You can tell the criticisms form launch hit home, and they weren't satisfied to just build atop it. Really good stuff.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Hard to say. I haven't played Drifter yet and don't have enough time on Dungeons or Crossroads, but I hope Sector 618 isn't one of them.

Drifter is booty - but its got a nice amount of little aesthetic things like elevator music and zero grav bodies and ammo drops.

There's just no way to avoid the corridors. Its almost as bad as 618 imo

Wow some of these armsday protos are ass.

The two PVP ones are hilarious/sad, its funny being in a control game where 90% of the players are just focused on snipering each other and don't give a shit about objectives or win/lose. Since I'm right at the edge of crucible rep I have to quit out of the game before it ends so I don't roll the faction over.

Its too bad they didn't make the armsday stuff account wide instead of character, would help a little with burnout I think. While the PVE ones are fast and easy, the PVP ones take a while longer for sure. I think its gonna be like any other faction rep though, after the first or second week no one is gonna care that much to bother with it.

Be interesting to see what Xur is like this friday.

do the armsday weapons reset weekly, or what?

While we won't know for sure until tomorrow, it seems the design is such that they introduce new bounties every wed at 10am, and at the same time you will get packages (or buy them) with sufficient rank to deliver guaranteed, specific weapons. Sort of like the gift package you get from the POE vendor every week, but on wed's instead of tue. I can't imagine new gun bounties every day, that would be kinda insane since you'll get a rank every other day.

Yeah. Pretty stupid idea to have any of these be Crucible related.

Why? It's not like we don't use guns in crucible or anything, plus it gives the people who purely crucible a chance to earn some rep. They are not going to hand everything to you on a silver platter, kinda need to work for it.

I hope the Foundries look at the test data and realize their weapons all suck.

Got my first 10 fusion rifle kills in the Crucible though! So there is that...

DY_nasty

The two PVP ones are hilarious/sad, its funny being in a control game where 90% of the players are just focused on snipering each other and don't give a shit about objectives or win/lose. Since I'm right at the edge of crucible rep I have to quit out of the game before it ends so I don't roll the faction over.

Its too bad they didn't make the armsday stuff account wide instead of character, would help a little with burnout I think. While the PVE ones are fast and easy, the PVP ones take a while longer for sure. I think its gonna be like any other faction rep though, after the first or second week no one is gonna care that much to bother with it.

While we won't know for sure until tomorrow, it seems the design is such that they introduce new bounties every wed at 10am, and at the same time you will get packages (or buy them) with sufficient rank to deliver guaranteed, specific weapons. Sort of like the gift package you get from the POE vendor every week, but on wed's instead of tue. I can't imagine new gun bounties every day, that would be kinda insane since you'll get a rank every other day.
I think that Sniper is only so bad because of the scope. It just.... doesn't act right and I'm not sure what it is. The weapon doing pitiful damage on top of that is just murder.

The Fusion Rifle is pretty legit. Really stable, and I like the projectile changeup as well.

shermas

Yah. I spent 2 control matches trading sniper shots with another dude, just trying to get to 10 kills. Every couple minutes, I'd run down and try to capture a point, but....

That fusion rifle. Such butt. I don't know you guys use that thing.

shermas

disagree but will type more thoughts later

do we get to keep these guns?

Yep. You can keep them or shard them. Once you hit the kill requirement, you don't have to turn them in or anything. I think someone from Bungie said as much earlier today.

I destroyed the FR as soon as I got the 10 kills.

I posted this earlier, but I was wondering if this was the case for you too:

For anyone who decided to start a fresh character to experience the restructured story, did you get a quest for Shrine of Orynx or Summoning pits?

The questlines split a into Crotas stuff with DLC1 missions, and also into the distress call to Venus.

But Shrine of Orynx and Summoning pits appeared on my moon map even though they weren't given as quests.

Prior to this, every mission was questified

edukate

Just finished gunsmith's path of gunslinger quest (omnigul is the way to go btw to complete this); turned in bounty and was wondering if there is any way to re-roll the perks... Any suggestions? Would the quest pop up again if I dismantle?

Couple of questions I can't find an answer to in the TTK mega wiki on reddit and I know GAF is really resourceful, hopefully someone here knows.

Has there been confirmation on when exactly the game will be live and playable next week? Keep finding conflicting information. If it hasn't been confirmed, will they even confirm it? Being a physical release I really hope its midnight.

I noticed armor parts were now just one generic type, rather then split across the classes. Will our current stock of parts convert to the new type?

Has it been confirmed whether there will be a similar upgrade currency like the shards?

Thanks, sorry if I am repeating questions.

Couple of questions I can't find an answer to in the TTK mega wiki on reddit and I know GAF is really resourceful, hopefully someone here knows.

Has there been confirmation on when exactly the game will be live and playable next week? Keep finding conflicting information. If it hasn't been confirmed, will they even confirm it? Being a physical release I really hope its midnight.

I noticed armor parts were now just one generic type, rather then split across the classes. Will our current stock of parts convert to the new type?

Has it been confirmed whether there will be a similar upgrade currency like the shards?

It isn't a physical release, the physical version is just base Destiny with DLC codes.

Launch: https://www.bungie.net/en/Help/Troubleshoot?oid=13492

Armour parts can converted next week. We are assuming 1:1

Legendary Marks seem to be how you upgrade stuff by infusing other weapons into it. There is a video somewhere, I';ll see if I can find it.

GhaleonEB

For anyone who decided to start a fresh character to experience the restructured story, did you get a quest for Shrine of Orynx or Summoning pits?

The questlines split a into Crotas stuff with DLC1 missions, and also into the distress call to Venus.

But Shrine of Orynx and Summoning pits appeared on my moon map even though they weren't given as quests.

I have not done the Shrine of Oryx yet. Is the Summoning Pits the one with the shard of the Traveler in it? I did that one to wrap up tonight, and it was part of a quest line.

Gordon

So those ???????? beacon missions - what are the running theories? My buddy and I ran as many as we could. Tried them with Stranger's Rifles equipped. Hit at least one on each planet. Nothing new happened. Guessing any potential result from them is gated behind TTK?

Edit: Oh yeah, got a scooter race to tier 5. That appears to be the cap :/

DY_nasty

To the people that don't like the armsday FR, do you guys use FRs much?

Have you used any of the year 1 FRs since 2.0?

I haven't tried Pocket Infinity yet, but Plan C is kinda meh right now outside of what its perks bring to the table. I still like my stability maxed Snakebite Surgeon but... that stability on the Armsday FR is way better than what it should be according to the stats.

Going to hazard a guess and say that the shrine will be put into the TK story for new players if it isn't there. No idea for Phogoth thought they would have chucked that under the hive on the moon quests.

Is there any reason to keep the Gunsmith's new weapons after maxing them out? Probably not, right? It's weird, though, I can't remember the last time I used a white-tiered weapon, haha.

So those ???????? beacon missions - what are the running theories? My buddy and I ran as many as we could. Tried them with Stranger's Rifles equipped. Hit at least one on each planet. Nothing new happened. Guessing any potential result from them is gated behind TTK?

Edit: Oh yeah, got a scooter race to tier 5. That appears to be the cap :/

Haven't played around with those yet. How do you trigger them?

I have not done the Shrine of Oryx yet. Is the Summoning Pits the one with the shard of the Traveler in it? I did that one to wrap up tonight, and it was part of a quest line.

Nope, it's the strike with the Giant Ogre. Hmm. Well Im gonna leave then alone for now and wait and see if they become quests

Gordon

Did the same to me for Mars. I hadn't completed Exclusion Zone yet, but when 2.0 hit I had access to every mars mission. Tried running black garden for stranger's rifle, but no dice, until I completed the preceding missions.

Haven't played around with those yet. How do you trigger them?
Feels like RNG. They seem to occur based on a roll after every beacon, but it could be a timer or something obscure.

EL CUCO

Yo CUCO and crew. This is what happens when you try to fix Phaethon name on the Glord List, internet breaks.
Pantheon pushed me unto a box as I was coming out of blink and firing a rocket. Rocketed my own face off. He doesn't deserve to have his name fixed :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom