• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What?

82Twyyx.png

Kalamari

I feel like the raid should have been next Friday (or even two Fridays from now) if they really wanted people to not feel rushed/experience things without feeling compelled to look at a guide. I've got the whole week off, am working exclusively on my Titan, and I still feel like I need to rush to get ready.

I don't think there's any reason to feel rushed. Just keep playing and you will get there. Many of these people who are so ahead right now will be able to carry you through the raid if you are slightly under leveled.

traveler

Not Wario
Yesterday was my discovery day. Stumbled onto random events, got runes, figured out how they worked, experienced a lot of the game without knowledge. Now, I just want to be ready, so I'm reading up on everything I didn't find.

This is the issue with social games in general. In single player games like Zelda or Dark Souls, I'd never dream of spoiling the secrets for myself. But here, there's a social contract. You need to be ready for your group and, when doing established content, you're supposed to know the strats; you aren't supposed to discover them.

Can you imagine if you did the same thing in a Zelda? Understanding the concept of a boss fight or puzzle is arguably more than 50% of the game. Granted, execution and coordination matter a lot more in an mmo, especially one as action centric as this. It still sucks that the dynamics of the thing encourage removing content for yourself, effectively.

Concerning Light Levels:
240 is where you want to be for Weekly Heroic strikes.
280 seems to be the basis every one can eventually get to with vendor items.
310 is the highest Light in the DBs right now that we can see.

You'll want to be wearing the highest light possible when completing things because your loot drops are directly tied to your Light Level https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...light_level_of_gear_you_acquire_is_dependant/

So to get higher level gear, you must have higher level gear.

Thanks for this.

Here's a question for people that have done the nightfall this week: what was your light level?

I'm trying to figure out when I should attempt the nightfall.

Yesterday was my discovery day. Stumbled onto random events, got runes, figured out how they worked, experienced a lot of the game without knowledge. Now, I just want to be ready, so I'm reading up on everything I didn't find.

This is the issue with social games in general. In single player games like Zelda or Dark Souls, I'd never dream of spoiling the secrets for myself. But here, there's a social contract. You need to be ready for your group and, when doing established content, you're supposed to know the strats; you aren't supposed to discover them.

Can you imagine if you did the same thing in a Zelda? Understanding the concept of a boss fight or puzzle is arguably more than 50% of the game. Granted, execution and coordination matter a lot more in an mmo, especially one as action centric as this. It still sucks that the dynamics of thing encourage removing content for yourself, effectively.

Dgaf is pretty cool man

No one is going to bully you for not being MLG and making a few mistakes

Requiem

Is this from the regular strike playlist? Is the drop rate good? Thinking of using that to get marks after the daily and weekly activities.

Got it from replaying the actual strike about 5 times...no playlist

Was trying to do the chaperone exotic quest and didn't realize there was a special 290 light mission for it lol

Here's some more shots of it on my Titan:

spyder_ur

It's nearly forcing solo play at the moment with all the different quests people are all at different stages

Speaking of which I'm getting smashed on the paradox quest and have all the other quests you get from finishing the story anyone else need to run through them or I'm giving up and just PvPing

I don't think that's totally true although it can feel like that, but either way, once the curve flattens out a little bit and the raid comes out and can be regularly completed, I expect anyone that plays regularly should be at about the same level for stuff like raids and nightfalls.

i like when there's new stuff to discover, but it feels everyone already discovered it.

I seriously doubt that but it's important to keep in mind that not everyone has been able to play most of the last 36 hours and most of the people posting are those that are playing.

Work sucks and I don't even have 3 monitors like Hawk.

1 - No idea. The roll might be determined by your current light level like other loot or it may be set in stone. Wont know until someone gets a package

2 - No. Its account wide.

3 - Yes. Both Light Level and Attack rating are calculated for outgoing damage by some unknown formula.

4 - Shaxx

For Shaxx's quest, is it account wide or per character?

Namikaze1

Had a pair of blue gloves that brought me to 285. Sacrificed them to make my legendary gloves better. Only dropped down to 283.

Anyway, anyone needs to do 5 Heroic Strikes? I'm free to help out.

I seriously doubt that but it . It's important to keep in mind that not everyone has been able to play most of the last 36 hours and most of the people posting are those that are playing.

Work sucks and I don't even have 3 monitors like Hawk.

Totally get that.

But i look at my friend's list and everyone has swords and insane light levels and i'm sitting here with my Deacon in my hands wondering how to get Legendary Marks

Is the best way to level up your Light is to do Heroic Strikes and hope for good drops? Also, tried Court of Oryx tier 2 and it was changeling. There were 5 and only two of us were above 240light haha but got a Legendary artifact from it :)

JTripper

Wow, just patrolled the Dreadnaught on a whim while waiting for friends to get online.

Found a bunch of shit to do:

- Found Court of Oryx, got gear and weapons to bring me over light 240 by submitting reciprocal runes before each round.
- Chests surrounding the Mausoleum area containing Hadium Flakes and ones that require keys.
- Wormfeeder Runes by clearing out the battle in the starting area, which turned into a key based on certain activities you have to do. I got a Key of Xor and found the chest.
- Agonarch Rune for killing the Taken boss in the Mausoleum. Haven't done the quest associated with it yet (Hunt Down Hidden Taken Threats (7)).
- Found a chest above Mausoleum area where you can use Skyburners Beacon Command to open a door and find it.
- Tons of blue engrams while fighting in Court of Oryx

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Can you imagine if you did the same thing in a Zelda? Understanding the concept of a boss fight or puzzle is arguably more than 50% of the game. Granted, execution and coordination matter a lot more in an mmo, especially one as action centric as this. It still sucks that the dynamics of thing encourage removing content for yourself, effectively.
Ironically, I'm going to take as long as I want to discover as much as I feel like figuring out on my own, but would really prefer to raid for the first time with people who know as absolutely little about it as I do. If anyone has a problem with my lack of knowledge in the meantime they can stuff it XD

I don't know. I can understand the appeal of being first, getting the best stuff as soon as possible, etc. But you're part of a community that isn't inherently likely to ostracize you for not "keeping up" or knowing everything there is to know ahead of time unless that's what you want to do. Hell, I'm taking a group of newbies through VoG tonight.

I wouldn't stress about it. Play and discover at the pace you personally prefer.

Also, Gjallarhorn is still better than any rocket launcher I've gotten so far. Fatebringer is too based on its perks but i notice its weaker damage more than I do with the Ghorn. The FWC Hand Cannon with Firefly is awesome but no explosive rounds means Cabal are still annoying to fight.

Afrocious

Wow, just patrolled the Dreadnaught on a whim while waiting for friends to get online.

Found a bunch of shit to do:

- Found Court of Oryx, got gear and weapons to bring me over light 240 by submitting reciprocal runes before each round.
- Chests surrounding the Mausoleum area containing Hadium Flakes and ones that require keys.
- Wormfeeder Runes by clearing out the battle in the starting area, which turned into a key based on certain activities you have to do. I got a Key of Xor and found the chest.
- Agonarch Rune for killing the Taken boss in the Mausoleum. Haven't done the quest associated with it yet (Hunt Down Hidden Taken Threats (7)).
- Found a chest above Mausoleum area where you can use Skyburners Beacon Command to open a door and find it.

What, exactly is The Court of Oryx? I hear about it but that's about it.

I feel like the raid should have been next Friday (or even two Fridays from now) if they really wanted people to not feel rushed/experience things without feeling compelled to look at a guide. I've got the whole week off, am working exclusively on my Titan, and I still feel like I need to rush to get ready.

Agree. Wish it was next Friday at the very least. Need to give people a weekend to really get tucked in.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Spending marks on infusing, other than the 75 I spent on the Vanguard ghost shell. Blue gear drops essentially keep staying ahead of you in light, so I just feed the decent gains into what I have.
Awesome. How much does the Vanguard Ghost have?

Finished story on all three characters yeaterday and have them all to 219-217 light. Now the real game begins! Now I can focus on getting one of them to high light and playing some of the heroics and weeklies.

But honestly, TTK campaign was far more fun then anything year one had to offer. It didn't seem like a chore to go through whole thing on all three characters. I love all three of the new subclasses though. Didn't think I would like stormcaller as much I do.

KxoZz

Just randomly got a weapon with a strange name that looks like a fusion rifle into my mission items? Is this the Sleeper Simulant questline?

Afrocious

Yeah, I can't determine if I want to save my legendary marks for infusing or for buying gear from the faction vendors.

I just want to hit high levels, but I dunno how folks did it (aside from skipping work *sideeye*)

Yeah, I can't determine if I want to save my legendary marks for infusing or for buying gear from the faction vendors.

I just want to hit high levels, but I dunno how folks did it (aside from skipping work *sideeye*)

Im going to see how far I can get without worrying about Marks

If I get enough to upgrade an exotic over time i might just do that

Not a fan of burning them on infusion but their is a nice synergy there since legendaries give 3 and infusion costs 3

JTripper

What, exactly is The Court of Oryx? I hear about it but that's about it.

I didn't watch the streams when Bungie showed it off, so this was my first experience with it.

It's basically a mini-Prison of Elders/Public Event area where there's a hallways with some statues that you get to place a rune in one, then a boss appears in the arena area in front of you and anyone can enter it to help you out, doesn't have to just be your fireteam (hence why it's like a public event)

After you guys kill whatever boss that appears, the person who submitted the rune at the beginning will get a chest reward. I've only gotten some pretty decent weapons so far that brought me over light 240. I'm sure there are different runes that you can submit for bigger, badder bosses and better rewards later on. I don't really know all the details.

X-Frame

Apparently the 347 Vestian Dynasty is awarded after all the Petra and Varicks quests, according to a Reddit post on the front page.

Seems a lot of exotics are behind quests now.

Wallach

Awesome. How much does the Vanguard Ghost have?

280. Not only do shells and artifacts seem to be the rarest drops, the Vanguard shell has bonus Glimmer on Hive kills, and any Engram pickup gives you 3-5 Wormspore (the new planetary material), so it seemed like the best use of early spacebucks.

I'm really close to 287 already, and should get 290 once boots and shell can get up to ~286.

Kyne

Ironically, I'm going to take as long as I want to discover as much as I feel like figuring out on my own, but would really prefer to raid for the first time with people who know as absolutely little about it as I do. If anyone has a problem with my lack of knowledge in the meantime they can stuff it XD

I don't know. I can understand the appeal of being first, getting the best stuff as soon as possible, etc. But you're part of a community that isn't inherently likely to ostracize you for not "keeping up" or knowing everything there is to know ahead of time unless that's what you want to do. Hell, I'm taking a group of newbies through VoG tonight.

I wouldn't stress about it. Play and discover at the pace you personally prefer.

shady/myself/another friend of ours are waiting for a good time to do the raid as well. We all have a pretty set/same schedule so if you know when you want to do it, (doesn't have to be anytime soon, could be the weekend or later) we'd definitely be down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom