• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wallach

I did a bunch of strikes tonight. Someone randomly sent me a party chat invite while doing Vanguard playlist, I guess it was a couple streamers that were doing the strikes -> heroic -> nightfall quest chain. We sat and cleared the entire chain pretty handily. Now rocking that 300 arc shotgun, a year 2 Truth, and a lot of ~290 legendaries. Not quite at 290 but once I find a decent blue to dump into my boots I should get it. Really love that Vanguard Streak buff.

MrDaravon

Oh my fucking God the TLW crucible quest has you lose progress when you die????

DID YOU LEARN FUCKING NOTHING FROM EVERYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE THORN BOUNTY BUNGIE

After 3 crucible matches I am literally at zero percent. This is fucking unbelievable. Some of us are terrible at the PvP and don't like it, and we can't even just grind this out? Fucking unreal. I am literally raging right now.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's 260 Light, and matchmaking tries its damn hardest to get people near your Light level. A full team 20 points below would have a very hard time with some of those Strikes. Others are tricky but doable.

I did the Taniks strike yesterday at like 235 through the weekly play list. It was... not fun to say the least lol. We finished, but it took forever, and a lot of close calls. No one had an arc weapon apparently and we spent like 15 minutes kiting about 5 captains while taking shotsbat Taniks at the end because we couldn't even drop their shields.

Blah. I'm impatient. I want to be able to chain run heroic strikes this weekend for funs and loots but I'm still 25 light short of 260. Oh well, hopefully I'll luck into some good drops tonight.

Ayyyy just got the exotic sniper Hereafter from a blue engram! Lmaooooo

Wut? I knew engrams could proc up one tier, but not two.

Shito

Haha, the last column of perks on the boolean gemini is so cute!

One Way
Bonus agility on precision kills. Stacks up to three times.

Or Another
Bonus armor on non-precision kills. Stacks up to three times.

DID YOU LEARN FUCKING NOTHING FROM EVERYONE COMPLAINING ABOUT THE THORN BOUNTY BUNGIE

After 3 crucible matches I am literally at zero percent. This is fucking unbelievable. Some of us are terrible at the PvP and don't like it, and we can't even just grind this out? Fucking unreal. I am literally raging right now.

If it's not a troll quest, then I really don't know what Bungie were thinking.

ocean

Banned

I think it's their response to the fact that previously, there was absolutely nothing in the game which was skill based. Everything was a matter of just playing enough.

I might not be good enough to complete that quest. And that's ok! There should be a ton of stuff for me, and then some other stuff I'm not good enough to get :) it makes the game interesting and challenging for people of all skill levels. When you can just "grind out" everything, it loses its worth completely.

SpecX

Run the Taken War quests and also the Court of Oryx is a good place to level up. Make sure you are wearing stuff to put you at your highest light level possible, the gear that drops is based on your current light level. So if you are wearing lower gear for perks or some reason, don't worry about that for now.

Edit: I also thought that the Heroic playlist was guaranteed legendary items, didn't get one in the Darkblade Heroic.
I'll give that a shot tonight after work. Getting irritated how stagnant drops have been lately and getting the feeling at the beginning of Y1 when I got stuck for the longest trying to get gear to reach the minimum level for VoG.

Shito

How'd you get that?
Finished the Petra / Variks quests line.
I did one quest for Petra, unlocked a quest for Variks, and finally a third quest from Petra.
They are not too difficult, just a bit time consuming because it asks for quite a lot of enemies to kill / missions to do.

MrDaravon

If it's not a troll quest, then I really don't know what Bungie were thinking.

It really doesn't help that TLW seems to be pretty dogshit now unless I'm missing something. It was my go-to before, now I can't kill people for shit with it unless I completely get the drop on them, or it's very close range and they don't have a shotgun (which is almost never). I'm seriously furious about this, I'm not super awful at the PvP in this but it took me hours and hours and hours to do the Thorn bounty even with Void weapons in every slot. I can't believe they learned nothing from this. Save this kind of shit for the Shaxx challenges.

I think it's their response to the fact that previously, there was absolutely nothing in the game which was skill based. Everything was a matter of just playing enough.

I might not be good enough to complete that quest. And that's ok! There should be a ton of stuff for me, and then some other stuff I'm not good enough to get :) it makes the game interesting and challenging for people of all skill levels. When you can just "grind out" everything, it loses its worth completely.

That's fine, but have this be a Crucible quest you do, not something that a NPC in the tower gives you. It's ridiculous. I fully intend to completely ignore the weekly Crucible stuff which is fine.

Anastasis

Finished the Petra / Variks quests line.
I did one quest for Petra, unlocked a quest for Variks, and finally a third quest from Petra.
They are not too difficult, just a bit time consuming because it asks for quite a lot of enemies to kill / missions to do.

Did you do the other Taken Wars quests first as well? Some debate about how it unlocks. Thanks!

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The Sunless Cell strike is so good. Did the NF directly and this is the most original thing Bungie has done. The last boss was creepy.

ocean

Banned
I say bring on the special rewards for 3.0 K/Ds and solo flawless Raiding and mid air throwing knife precision kills and all that. Longevity requires skill gated content.

I'm a completely average player and I managed to get absolutely everything on Year 1, and I don't think that's a positive. Better players should have access to some trophies of their own, giving me something to strive towards in terms of skill and not just "have i farmed enough?"

Im in the shield bros part. Level 283. 300 attack shotgun. If anyone wants to try with me, message me on psn. I assume it's like the old Thorn quest where everyone involved gets the kill (Xyor the unwed).

Psn : Subtervotion

(Drdrizzay101 you mentioned it yeaterday, let me know if you want in.)

ocean

Banned
It really doesn't help that TLW seems to be pretty dogshit now unless I'm missing something. It was my go-to before, now I can't kill people for shit with it unless I completely get the drop on them, or it's very close range and they don't have a shotgun (which is almost never). I'm seriously furious about this, I'm not super awful at the PvP in this but it took me hours and hours and hours to do the Thorn bounty even with Void weapons in every slot. I can't believe they learned nothing from this. Save this kind of shit for the Shaxx challenges.

That's fine, but have this be a Crucible quest you do, not something that a NPC in the tower gives you. It's ridiculous. I fully intend to completely ignore the weekly Crucible stuff which is fine.
Well it works both ways. Imagine a PvP player finding out his quest has a PvE component and saying "fuck I have to run a strike? This is bulmshit".

Some quests are PvE, some are PvP, and some particularly engaging ones combine both aspects. They reward proficiency in all aspects of the game, which is a smart design decision. Of course not everything should require you to play both sides, but I think we can agree that at least some rewards should require tests of skill on both gameplay modes?

Shito

Did you do the other Taken Wars quests first as well? Some debate about how it unlocks. Thanks!
I did not.
Basically went doing these quests for her and Variks right after I finished the main story.
I have a rank 7 with her, don't know if it comes into play...

Also, I've just realized you can actually carry 32 missions at once.
All this time I thought it was only 6: I've been juggling them for nothing, haha.

lt519

I'll give that a shot tonight after work. Getting irritated how stagnant drops have been lately and getting the feeling at the beginning of Y1 when I got stuck for the longest trying to get gear to reach the minimum level for VoG.

It's a slow but steady progression I've found. I don't notice it but every hour or two I find myself 5 light level higher just through blues. I'm actually at 267 right now and I'm not wearing a single legendary armor piece. It's a system that forces you to just play, since the blues drop pretty frequently IMO, and will slowly level you up if you aren't lucky, which I haven't been. But honestly The Taken War quests net you some guaranteed legendary weapons, marks, and will get you to Heroic Strike playlist level which will really ramp up your progression.

I'd also suggest buying a 280 level ghost since you can transfer it between characters and it is the least likely thing to drop for you.

Edit: To clarify NOT the Taken War: Petra quest, do the Taken War: Earth which leads to Taken War: Venus, which leads to Taken War: Mars. They all progress in light level difficulty by about 20 per quest line and net you some good gear. Best done with a couple people.

MrDaravon

I saw bring on the special rewards for 3.0 K/Ds and solo flawless Raiding and mid air throwing knife precision kills and all that. Longevity requires skill gated content.

I'm a completely average player and I managed to get absolutely everything on Year 1, and I don't think that's a positive. Better players should have access to some trophies of their own, giving me something to strive towards in terms of skill and not just "have i farmed enough?"

Yeah I have no problem with this, but make it clear where you're gating it. I was hardly expecting the fucking shipwright to give me a hardcore PvP quest lol. In this case my main problem is TLW kinda sucks now, if I could use any hand cannon or something like that it wouldn't be that big of a problem.

Ultimately though I think this game has such an extremely large and diverse userbase that they can't really effectively do what you're suggesting, because they're going to piss off some large number of people if they do. The game is very PvE friendly in that it's very easy to ignore the PvP pretty much completely if you want. So if you start locking unique quests/items etc beyond PvP skill-gates a lot of people are going to complain.

Well it works both ways. Imagine a PvP player finding out his quest has a PvE component and saying "fuck I have to run a strike? This is bulmshit".

Some quests are PvE, some are PvP, and some particularly engaging ones combine both aspects. They reward proficiency in all aspects of the game, which is a smart design decision. Of course not everything should require you to play both sides, but I think we can agree that at least some rewards should require tests of skill on both gameplay modes?

I get what you're saying, but git gud at PvE content isn't even in the same league as git gud at PvP. As long as the high skill PvP rewards are PvP goodies, I'm fine with that. But they do need to take care and not gate top tier PvE loot behind skill based PvP bounties.

Midas

Legendaries have more and better perks.

What I did was just forget my Legendaries for the moment. I'll keep using whatever is highest Light just to guarantee my drops have increasingly higher Light. Once I'm at 290+ I'll use those max tier blues to infuse my Legendaries and have the best of both worlds :)

But it's a waste of Marks to be constantly infusing stuff which you'll replace with blues 20 minutes later :p

Yeah, of course. Didn't think of the perks. Yeah, I'm with you on that one. 290 is most important so that I can kill Oryx this weekend. :)

Midas

And here we go!

alJLiso.jpg

Always loved Petra and the Queen.
Hope she's not really dead. :/

I like the little bit of text there; "we've had these forever in our vault." (something like that) Almost like Bungie is having us a hint that they know we've been waiting for it. :)

Maybe my advice can help. It seems like you don't actually need kills to be from tlw. Grab your favorite secondary (shotty = easy mode) and your favorite heavy. Use your secondary as your primary. Get heavy everytime. Use your super on large groups. Multi kills give huge bonus percent.

I didn't realize this till I finished it. I actually used tlw and a fusion rifle and pulled it off. You should be able to do it if you can get your super a few times a match, use a shotty, get heavy, and lay low when you don't have your preferred tool for killing.

ocean

Banned
I get what you're saying, but git gud at PvE content isn't even in the same league as git gud at PvP. As long as the high skill PvP rewards are PvP goodies, I'm fine with that. But they do need to take care and not gate top tier PvE loot behind skill based PvP bounties.
I think the majority of weapons right now could hardly be shoehorned into "PvE loot". I mean what does that even mean? There are sooooooo many weapons and armor to get right now. The overwhelming majority still forces us to play through PvE content. I think saving a few good weapons behind a PvP skill gate is a net positive for the game.

It's like people complaining about Adept Osiris weapons. I mean sure if you wanted a Solar Jewel you had to get good (ignoring the carrying situation). But like...you had so many alternatives as a PvE player (Vex, VoC, Abyss Defiant, Skolas) that getting hung on not being able to get 1 thing just seemed weird to me.

MrDaravon

Also as a complete aside the PvP quest/bounties still have the same problem Bungie has had going all the way back to the daily Reach bounties (forget what they were called) in that they encourage bad behavior. With this TLW quest I'm not giving a shit about my team or winning, I'm caring about getting kills and not dying. And look back at when the Thorn quest was going and everyone just talked about camping in corners to not die and stuff.

I think the majority of weapons right now could hardly be shoehorned into "PvE loot". I mean what does that even mean? There are sooooooo many weapons and armor to get right now. The overwhelming majority still forces us to play through PvE content. I think saving a few good weapons behind a PvP skill gate is a net positive for the game.

It's like people complaining about Adept Osiris weapons. I mean sure if you wanted a Solar Jewel you had to get good (ignoring the carrying situation). But like...you had so many alternatives as a PvE player (Vex, VoC, Abyss Defiant, Skolas) that getting hung on not being able to get 1 thing just seemed weird to me.

100% true, but we didn't have a huge quest in our inventory for clearing Osiris before. It hits the OCD/completionist people HARD, and to be fair the game specifically appeals to that mindset pretty heavily.

Maybe my advice can help. It seems like you don't actually need kills to be from tlw. Grab your favorite secondary (shotty = easy mode) and your favorite heavy. Use your secondary as your primary. Get heavy everytime. Use your super on large groups. Multi kills give huge bonus percent.

I didn't realize this till I finished it. I actually used tlw and a fusion rifle and pulled it off. You should be able to do it if you can get your super a few times a match, use a shotty, get heavy, and lay low when you don't have your preferred tool for killing.

This is great to know, thank you!

Shito

I like the little bit of text there; "we've had these forever in our vault." (something like that) Almost like Bungie is having us a hint that they know we've been waiting for it. :)
Haha, yeah, as usual great writing from Bungie.
At first I was a bit disappointed the description was so short and mundane, then I realised it goes with that last column of perks: "Fight your way! One way or another."
They're really good at those little details. :)

well I was at 260 light then decided to infuse a few things because my gauntlets were so fucking ugly.

258 now oh well.

I need more self control.

Does the light work in waves? So 258 does more then 252? Is it 200-220 does X damage etc?

lt519

Are we expecting Xur to sell engrams that decode into year 2 items tomorrow?

doing the lost and found bounty for the exotic scout rifle now. Do I have to complete Variks missions first in order to get the scout rifle?

Reports seem to be all over the place about people not getting it in completion. I just got it but may so the Variks one first just to be safe, but in paranoid.

Jarate

Banned
Did a heroic vanguard strike at light level 232 and did not have a good time lol

Saving up my legendary marks for a year 2 exotic gear piece, game loves to give me legendary chest pieces though

spyder_ur

The Sunless Cell strike is so good. Did the NF directly and this is the most original thing Bungie has done. The last boss was creepy.

That strike is fantastic. It's also gorgeous. I'm curious if we're going to see any of those same areas in the raid. Out of curiosity what light level were you for Nightfall?

I also love FALLEN SABER. I was literally cracking up when I saw what was going on at the end.

My physical Collector's Edition was delayed in shipping, so I got tired of waiting and went ahead and purchased the Digital Collector's Edition. Now my physical Collector's Edition has finally arrived, so I'm needing to sell the code inside. Basically, you'd be getting the equivalent of the Digital Collector's Edition. I'm only interested in getting my money back, so I'll sell it for the Digital Collector's Edition price. North America code, if that matters. PM me if interested.

I'm honest and I have a family to feed, so please don't screw me over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom