• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Also as a complete aside the PvP quest/bounties still have the same problem Bungie has had going all the way back to the daily Reach bounties (forget what they were called) in that they encourage bad behavior. With this TLW quest I'm not giving a shit about my team or winning, I'm caring about getting kills and not dying. And look back at when the Thorn quest was going and everyone just talked about camping in corners to not die and stuff.

100% true, but we didn't have a huge quest in our inventory for clearing Osiris before.

This is great to know, thank you!
oh come on lol

year 1 destiny didn't have a quest tab
but if it did - it would constantly be reminding you that you hadn't went to mercury yet

MrDaravon

oh come on lol

year 1 destiny didn't have a quest tab
but if it did - it would constantly be reminding you that you hadn't went to mercury yet

I agree, which is why I'm saying that if we had the Quest system before you would have seen a ton more complaining/begging for Mercury carries among the general populace.

Friendly reminder:

First Xursday after HoW launched he sold exactly 0 new Exotics.

Just sayin.

Do we have ANY indication of how exactly Xur is going to work even? I'm also not sure I buy the theory that he's going to right off the bat sell the Sony Year One exclusives because you would think they'd want to have Xbox owners have some time to potentially find them on their own?

Friendly reminder:

Just sayin.

Still.. Selling year one exotics? lol GTFO Xur! I can find blues off dregs that are better then those year one exotics.

I think he sells year 2 stuff. However I think his economy has changed. Do we have any idea?

nOoblet16

Also as a complete aside the PvP quest/bounties still have the same problem Bungie has had going all the way back to the daily Reach bounties (forget what they were called) in that they encourage bad behavior. With this TLW quest I'm not giving a shit about my team or winning, I'm caring about getting kills and not dying. And look back at when the Thorn quest was going and everyone just talked about camping in corners to not die and stuff.

100% true, but we didn't have a huge quest in our inventory for clearing Osiris before. It hits the OCD/completionist people HARD, and to be fair the game specifically appeals to that mindset pretty heavily.

This is great to know, thank you!

This is not really any different than the bounties we had back in the day. Kill using sniper, kill using handcanon, melee etc. And if you really are worried about not caring about the team then just play Clash because a high KDR will make your team win there.

I think the majority of weapons right now could hardly be shoehorned into "PvE loot". I mean what does that even mean? There are sooooooo many weapons and armor to get right now. The overwhelming majority still forces us to play through PvE content. I think saving a few good weapons behind a PvP skill gate is a net positive for the game.

It's like people complaining about Adept Osiris weapons. I mean sure if you wanted a Solar Jewel you had to get good (ignoring the carrying situation). But like...you had so many alternatives as a PvE player (Vex, VoC, Abyss Defiant, Skolas) that getting hung on not being able to get 1 thing just seemed weird to me.

I'm not saying they are, but I hope it's something they think about while designing these PvP steps. Adept ToO gear is a great example of where they could have really screwed the pooch. If you didn't have the option to ascend, and your Vex, VoC, and Abyss Defiant were stuck at 300-331, things could have been dicey...especially with the truly terrible drop rate of elemental weapons from Skolas. What's the point of an elemental weapon as a PvP reward?

spyder_ur

I get what you're saying, but git gud at PvE content isn't even in the same league as git gud at PvP. As long as the high skill PvP rewards are PvP goodies, I'm fine with that. But they do need to take care and not gate top tier PvE loot behind skill based PvP bounties.

Yeah, we all (myself included) went nuts when the Trials gear was locked because they seemed like the best weapons in the game at the time. They really weren't though and it turned out to not be a huge deal. We'll see, but I suspect time and perspective will alleviate any concerns like this.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Is there a "consensus" thing on what to buy first with legendary marks? I have a bunch I have to spend, not sure what is the best to get me to 280+ light.

MrDaravon

This is not really any different than the bounties we had back in the day. Kill using sniper, kill using handcanon, melee etc. And if you really are worried about not caring about the team then just play Clash because a high KDR will make your team win there.

Bounties =/= Quests...at all lol.

Is there a "consensus" thing on what to buy first with legendary marks? I have a bunch I have to spend, not sure what is the best to get me to 280+ light.

Most people seem to be recommending to buy a Ghost first since they are apparently the rarest/hardest drops to get at high light level. You may also want to wait until Xur tomorrow first though.

noomi

So what are we expecting from Xur tomorrow?

Typical 3 pieces of exotic armor, one exotic weapon, new exotic engram, old exotic engram, ammo, telemetries, sparrow stuff?

Is that about right? My strange coins are ready!

nOoblet16

Friendly reminder:

Just sayin.

It's different this time around though, no one wants old shit as it's worthless now.
That leaves us with a few year 2 version of year 1 exotics.

HoW was different in that the only way to level up was through PoE and getting an exotic would have meant a faster leveling up, while that is still the case right now the difference is that this time around you have other shit you can do to level up.

Juraash

The general consensus I've seen is a ghost shell. Not very exciting, but the drops on good ones leaves a lot to be desired. I know I shot up like 6-7 light levels when I swapped in the Vanguard one over the random blue I was using.

spyder_ur

Still.. Selling year one exotics? lol GTFO Xur! I can find blues off dregs that are better then those year one exotics.

I think he sells year 2 stuff. However I think his economy has changed. Do we have any idea?

Just because it's not a 'new' as in TTK exotic doesn't mean that it will be a year 1 version.

I would be very surprised if Xur didn't bring year 2 exotics, but not shocked if he doesn't bring stuff brand new to the game.

commish

Why on earth would Xur have year 1 stuff? It wouldn't make any sense. There is 0% chance he does not offer year 2 items.

Arrrammis

Friendly reminder:

Just sayin.

As long as they have the year 2 attack levels, I am fine with this. I just want an exotic weapon to boost my light ATM. Any year 2 stuff would just be icing on the cake.

nOoblet16

Bounties =/= Quests...at all lol.
I'm not daft...I know that.

But if you think a quest like that can make players forget about team work then I don't see how that is any different from a bounty that wants you to use a weapon or keeps track of your KDR. It doesn't matter if one is a quest and other's a bounty, the end result is that people try to complete them and your claim is that in doing so they forget about team work.

phen0m24

My physical Collector's Edition was delayed in shipping, so I got tired of waiting and went ahead and purchased the Digital Collector's Edition. Now my physical Collector's Edition has finally arrived, so I'm needing to sell the code inside. Basically, you'd be getting the equivalent of the Digital Collector's Edition. I'm only interested in getting my money back, so I'll sell it for the Digital Collector's Edition price. North America code, if that matters. PM me if interested.

I'm honest and I have a family to feed, so please don't screw me over.

Delayed? Ack! That's awful. Mine is supposed to come today (runs off to check)

ocean

Banned
I'm not saying they are, but I hope it's something they think about while designing these PvP steps. Adept ToO gear is a great example of where they could have really screwed the pooch. If you didn't have the option to ascend, and your Vex, VoC, and Abyss Defiant were stuck at 300-331, things could have been dicey...especially with the truly terrible drop rate of elemental weapons from Skolas. What's the point of an elemental weapon as a PvP reward?
The point? Even if you hate PvE this game really expects you to play a ton of it. So even a PvP player has to do NF and Weekly once in a while to up his chances of finally getting The Last Word or The Ram or whatever is the hot PvP thing.

Not having an elemental primary is a huge obstacle for people who were less familiar with this content to begin with. Giving them a chance to load up on elemental primaries meant they were on equal footing.

Asking that I kill Skolas 700 times is a far more ridiculous requirement than winning 7 Elimination matches for an elemental primary btw. The problem wasn't that HoW gave PvP players loot too generously. It was that Skolas drop rates were and still are complete dog shit. He drops weapons less than either Raid, which is funny since Skolas weapons are universally the worst of the worst in the Raid tier except maybe the (lol) Auto Rifle.

i dont get why are people complaining about the Last Word exotic part. It was really easy since tlw still a good weapon and its not required to get the kills.

the thorn quest requires to kill with a void weapon, and its was way before anyone can get a "atheon epilogue" or a "word of crota", that means we need to use just special and heavy weapons, and the progress was way punishing than this Tex quest is right now

really guys, just try to enjoy, is really not that hard, tha last part is ... freking shield 290 light brothers =(

commish

The general consensus I've seen is a ghost shell. Not very exciting, but the drops on good ones leaves a lot to be desired. I know I shot up like 6-7 light levels when I swapped in the Vanguard one over the random blue I was using.

Most people seem to be recommending to buy a Ghost first since they are apparently the rarest/hardest drops to get at high light level. You may also want to wait until Xur tomorrow first though.

Hmm, a ghost, okay, guess that would be useful. My current ghost is only 220. Who sells new ghosts? I will have look it up.

Cruxist

Spent most of last night doing the Petra missions. Those Taken lieutenants really don't want to spawn...

Has anybody finished that quest line and gotten the Exotic? Is it even worth it?

Jinjo

The Sunless Cell strike is so good. Did the NF directly and this is the most original thing Bungie has done. The last boss was creepy.

I like to have my Hunter sit still Qui-Gon Jinn style on the ground whenever he retreats to the dark ad evade the fuck out of him with shadestep.

Like a baws.

Friendly reminder:

Just sayin.

As long as they're level 40 exotics.
And the proper good vanilla-TDB-How exotics, aka Saint-14

That strike is fantastic. It's also gorgeous. I'm curious if we're going to see any of those same areas in the raid. Out of curiosity what light level were you for Nightfall?

I also love FALLEN SABER. I was literally cracking up when I saw what was going on at the end.

They should let us infuse the PoE gear that has the
Shank
buff. It all would have been worth it.

Lnkn52

Is there a way to get 2 fire teams (2 groups of 3) to matchmake into the dreadnought? Similar process when Sweaties matchmaking is created?

Why on earth would Xur have year 1 stuff? It wouldn't make any sense. There is 0% chance he does not offer year 2 items.

he will, for the completionists, they told that he will sell armor and weapon engrams for year one stuff for the people that still looking for some exotics to fill the collection

i still missing the super good advice =/

flkraven

So yesterday this game felt way more like an MMO than it ever felt before, and it was awesome. I was patrolling the dreadnaught with my brother when we start doing a quest there (the one with keycodes, etc).

So the two of us start fighting yellow bar enemies when 3 or 4 other guardians swing by to help us out. Suddenly a massive major/mini-boss spawns in and we need to take him down. The hunter jumps into the air, supers, and tethers him to the ground. As a Titan, I fly in and punch him in the face, hitting him with the debuff that amplifies guardian's damage. At that moment, 2 warlocks super and electrocute his face off while I finish him off with a hammer. It felt incredible, and completely organic with a group of randoms just patrolling.

P44

Looking at discussions about whether sunbreaker titan is OP.

I'm unsure to be honest. The rest of the class is okay. Sunspots are interesting for pve, but pretty damn situational in pvp, and as such I wouldn't spec heavy sunspots for pvp. The super is good, but feels basically like the Sunsinger super really if you used radiant skin (which I did). I prefer Radiance for its attacking dimension to be honest, the firebolts are in my view somewhat more effective against groups and hitting people in the air (I don't spec for homing hammers though, I'd rather go for AoE hammer 'splosions to try and wipe a group out quickly). The Sunbreakers extra mobility is good though.

MrDaravon

I'm not daft...I know that.

But if you think a quest like that can make players forget about team work then I don't see how that is any different from a bounty that wants you to use a weapon or keeps track of your KDR. It doesn't matter if one is a quest and other's a bounty, the end result is that people try to complete them and your claim is that in doing so they forget about team work.

Oh I misunderstood, I completely agree.

4 matches into Crucible, I'm at 3% on this TLW bounty. I'm not even doing THAT bad, I'm going like ~0.8 k/d on these matches, how goddamn hard are they penalizing you for dying on this?

Also what are the specifics on the Mercy rule? The last game it loaded me into a Clash match that was 8k to 2k and it didn't end.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
the fact that strange coins have been thrown at us in 2.0 makes me wonder 'what else' xur is selling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom