• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
edit: deoee that's a great moment, don't spoil it :p
I didn't read the guaranteed leg engram as a weekly thing. Here's the text.

Guarantee a Legendary Engram drop from a character's first clear of a Weekly Heroic Strike​

Hmm... what else could they mean by "first clear"?

Tecnniqe

Banned
E4IS5E2.gif

Get your deoee off my strike ?

Dropshot deoee off my strike

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Like first time you do it with that character period. Just like quest rewards are only provided the first time you clear them.

I guess we'll know next week.

Great guide, btw.
Oooh. that would blow. This is how it appears in the actual patch notes:

Heroic Strikes earn bonus rewards on weekly completion:
Legendary Engram (1 time per character)
+10 Legendary Marks (3 times per account)
That seems more straightforward to me, no?
Wait, so this is a thing? Crucible drops are tied to your Light level?
Absolutely, yes. All drops. If you want to progress via Crucible you need to wear your max Light stuff.

edit: bleh at swtiching at the end though XD

If you only get 10 marks for the first three Vanguard heroic strikes per week, why did I get 25 marks for completing the 5th in a row last night

Oooh. that would blow. This is how it appears in the actual patch notes:

That seems more straightforward to me, no?

Absolutely, yes. All drops. If you want to progress via Crucible you need to wear your max Light stuff.

The patch notes are clearer and support your conclusion. Good catch.

Also, can anyone confirm that a fully leveled leg that is dismantled gives 5 marks instead of 3?

Loving my time with TTK.
My Hunter is sitting at 289 right now.
Got myself a fancy new Exotic Dead Orbit cloak and ship today... 10 crucible wins was hell.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Reposting for this page, will add to OP now as well.
Just wanted to compiled what I've learned and heard about light leveling for easy reference.

I'm honestly still barely that far into TTK myself so please offer any corrections or clarifications you notice. My apologies if someone has already done this and I missed it, please link me if so so that I can include it in the OP.

First off, basic principles:
  • Your currently equipped Light determines your drops. Always wear your best Light gear (highest attack/defense) when looking to progress

Examples of times when this is very important:
    • Decrypting engrams
    • End of story/strike missions (rewards screen loot rolls)
    • Crucible matches (rewards screen loot rolls)
    • Claiming quest rewards
    • Ranking up/claiming Faction rewards
  • Any engram can potentially equal progression. If an item drops with higher attack/defense than what you are currently wearing, either equip it immediately or, if you don't want it, infuse a Legendary item you do want.
    • Note on decrypting engrams: if you're decrypting a stack of engrams, look at each new item you get and if it is an upgrade, equip it before decrypting your next engram.
    • Infusion: any rare or legendary item with higher light that occupies the same slot (primary, secondary, heavy, helm, gauntlets, chest, boots, class item) can be infused into a legendary item of lower light to raise its attack/defense most of the way to the level of the sacrificed item. Use this to upgrade treasured legendaries you do want by sacrificing new, higher Light items you don't want. You CAN infuse armor items for another class to infuse armor for your target class as long as it's the same armor slot.
  • You can play just about anything for a shot at progressing with these concepts in mind. That said, the Vanguard Heroic Playlist seems to have high drop rates for engrams in general and fair drop rates for Legendary Engrams. Additionally, focusing on Faction rank, which can now be raised in a huge number of ways, can provide many chances for progression upgrades as well.

• Early on, if you acquire a Legendary and then a Rare that outclasses it- counterintuive as it may be, consider merely equipping the Rare and dismantling the Legendary for marks. If you are very attached to the Legendary, of course, you can keep it and infuse the Rare instead.

• Of your gear slots for determining Light, Weapon attack value is weighted the most and Class Items are weighted the least.

• Legendary Marks are acquired as follows:
    • Daily Heroic Story mission: 15 marks (once) per day per account
    • Vanguard Heroic Strike playlist: 10 marks, 3 times per week, per account. NOTE: The first Heroic Strike you complete on each character per week also awards a guaranteed Legendary Engram, which could be looked at as an extra 9 marks for the week if you do one per character.
    • Daily Crucible Playlist match: 15 marks (once) per day per account
    • Weekly PvP Quests: unsure of amount
    • Dismantling Legendaries: 3-5 marks
    • Certain Quest rewards: variable amounts
    Bear in mind, though, that Legendary Marks are not a primary source of progression in the way that Vanguard and Crucible Marks were. They are meant to be supplementary, to help you specialize after the initial progression phase, or used longer-term for specific desired gear from each vendor- particularly weapons as there are some really powerful ones on display. However,
    • Buy a 280 Ghost Shell with your first set of 75 marks as soon as possible. Unlike the flow of upgrades for every other gear slot, Ghost Shells drop extremely rarely, and this will be a significant boost to your total Light.
  • Don't forget Xur. He will be a guaranteed source of very high Light Exotics for Strange Coins. Because Xur hasn't arrived for the first time yet as of the typing of this guide, progression feels a bit more onerous than it will in the long run.
Specific notes for Alts:
  • To jump-start progression on your alts, transfer your highest Light weapons and Ghost shell to them before doing any activities or decrypting engrams. The higher base level will accelerate upgrades rapidly.
  • Bear in mind cross-class armor infusion; a new armor item of slightly lower light than your max level character may be useless on your Hunter but perfect to transfer and infuse into your Warlock with 50 less Light.

That's all I got for now, again please feel free to add any notes you can think of!

Ophelion

Reposting for this page, will add to OP now as well.

Looking at the size of that leveling guide Vs the one I poured over that your wrote back in the day makes me both impressed at how far this game has come and strangely nostalgic. I don't miss those days, but it was a hell of a thing we insane few went through together. We've got the shaders to prove it.

phen0m24

So what do you do there how to get there and so on? :D

To get there literally you explore the dreadnought. That's where it is.

To be eligible to do it you need runes.

CoO allows you to fight mini bosses for rewards. I have yet to:

◇get a rune
◇fight a miniboss
◇Get rewards

:)

Namikaze1

Is that the part where you have to kill the 2 shield bro's with a shotgun? I'm almost done with TLW part of it, I should be able to get there tonight if you still need help.

not sure how long it takes to get to that part though....
That's the part. It's a 290 version of the strike though. Thus why I'm looking for gaffers instead of going on ahead with randoms. For the second part, do Regicide, kill the Tortured Knight that spawns on the bridge 17 times. Just wipe after each kill. Made that part easy. You don't lose points for dying.

I'll wait. Maybe we will have a third by then as well. :)

Thx guys. Added "certain quest rewards" to the list of Legendary mark sources.
Yeah, there's a few quests that give you 20+ legendary marks.

I know Fear's Embrace gives you 20 for completing it.

lt519

Swords elevate this game to a whole different level.

I hope they have a huge role in the raid.

What's the easiest/fastest way to get the 25 flakes?

Chest spawn trick. Find a chest that is close to the barrier of another patrol area on the dreadnaught, open it, leave the area, come back and open it again (repeat until its gone). I usually patrolled the Breach and Mausoleum area

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looking at the size of that leveling guide Vs the one I poured over that your wrote back in the day makes me both impressed at how far this game has come and strangely nostalgic. I don't miss those days, but it was a hell of a thing we insane few went through together. We've got the shaders to prove it.
I was thinking that same thing while typing it out, haha. I know what you mean about the odd nostalgia. Like, things may get a touch more complex and need a couple more lines of explanation if certain raid or other end-game gear is a higher light standard than you can otherwise reach. But even so, it'll cover everything there is to know about endgame progression in about 1/5th the size.

I do feel like they have retained the majority of the things I actually liked about the original system. Even though it's still fairly esoteric, it shows that there's a lot of thought and refinement put into it. I say good job.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
*cracks knuckles* Right then. Time to play.

Here's my question: Can I get my first sword prior to beating the main TTK campaign? Cause if so, uh, I want to, uh, do that.

noomi

That's the part. It's a 290 version of the strike though. Thus why I'm looking for gaffers instead of going on ahead with randoms. For the second part, do Regicide, kill the Tortured Knight that spawns on the bridge 17 times. Just wipe after each kill. Made that part easy. You don't lose points for dying.

I'll wait. Maybe we will have a third by then as well. :)

Yeah, there's a few quests that give you 20+ legendary marks.

I know Fear's Embrace gives you 20 for completing it.

Awesome man, thanks for the tip. I won't be able to get on until later tonight, so if you find someone earlier feel free to go ahead and do it, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom