• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

So I'm at 205 light level and finished the story. What should I be doing now to progress? Doing the other quests I have or what? I'm not high enough to do any strikes or anything yet.

The short version is: do what you want. In the three days so far, I've progressed forward on every play session, and I've done different things each time:

• Exploring the Dreadnaught (holy crap is there a lot to learn in there)
  • Running patrols and public events
  • The Taken War quest lines
  • The new strikes
  • Strike playlist
You'll progress doing damn near anything right now, whether from a dedicated loot drop or from engrams, which seem to drop a lot more frequently than before.

I'm still just dabbling in all sorts of things and still moving forward for doing so.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know how you can say that until Xur comes. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of upset people when Xur comes tomorrow.

I have a strong suspicion that Xur's economy is changing in a way detrimental to the player. Either the good stuff will require legendary marks, or we won't be able to buy multiple exotic items, or they will be very low defense/attack exotics.

I can't see Bungie being as generous with Xur as they used to be.
Why?

FinKL

For people looking for Mark efficiency (I did some dirty math on a quick spreadsheet), consider buying the Arms, Legs, Chest, or Class Item(Speaker) pieces as they have equal Light increases per mark spent followed by Ghost, and Artifacts. This is considering if all your Light pieces are equal (they usually aren't).

Even though the Weapon's have more weight in Light, 150 is a lot of marks and you are better of buying 2 armor pieces to have more Light per Mark spent.

If you are bouncing between characters consider the Weapon/Ghost as those can be moved around.

Personally waiting for Xur tomorrow though, as we have no idea what he takes

Since its a new page, it bears repeating: the best way to hit 290+ light levels is to run vanguard strike 36 over and over and over and over. We are talking about hundreds of runs. Equip every new piece of gear thats better (blue, purple, doesn't matter) and go to the tower every now and then and decode engrams and equip anything thats better. Running around the dreadnaught or doing the dozen or so quests after story is done is fun but it won't really upgrade your light level, can revisit them after you are 290+ and they will all be lots easier.

You will slowly go up in light levels, 2-3 light an hour or so past 270. Its painful but not hard. Legendary marks are mainly going to be used to infuse gear from higher gear, you shouldn't really buy anything with them. Except on alts, once your main is 295+ you can transfer all the 295+ gear to your alts and infuse bought stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh yeah I guess I can do that. I just assumed that something that low-leveled wouldn't help me.
That's just it- can an engram or item drop from it? Then it can help you. You could theoretically go back and do a level 5 story mission, have a blue engram drop, decrypt it and progress forward. Cray cray!

KevinG

Yeah it's $40 if you have the other DLCs. It also makes the other DLCs look like a joke.

You'll get the go ahead from this thread, but yeah $40 is your option. The game has much more unique content then vanilla Destiny and you can progress for a good 20-30 hours playing ANY of the content unique content (after that it'll probably have to be Raid drops to progress a character). You aren't pigeonholed into one method of progressing like vanilla's loot cave. I'm still unlocking missions 20 hours in. It's a solid $40 purchase if you liked the gunplay of Vanilla but were irked by the progression system and sponge-like bosses.

Solid responses fellas. Hated the progression, or lack thereof, at launch.

willow ve

Anyone on Xbox having trouble logging in? I clicked on my character and it's been loading for the past 2 minutes

Edit: and there was no error code at the end! Just a message saying I've been disconnected from the Destiny servers

Having the same problem. Looks like an Xbox or Destiny server error?

I don't know how you can say that until Xur comes. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of upset people when Xur comes tomorrow.

I have a strong suspicion that Xur's economy is changing in a way detrimental to the player. Either the good stuff will require legendary marks, or we won't be able to buy multiple exotic items, or they will be very low defense/attack exotics.

god I hope it wont be all bad. im banking on xur to save me here. also there still handing out strange coins and no one takes them for any reason. So I assume Xur will have them. worst it will be im guess

23 strange coins
25 legendary marks

or
23 strange coins for a 170 piece and you have to get the upgraded version with 125 marks at the koisk.

I just hope it will be the same as it ever was. but as disappointed as ive been with some of the new changes. I doubt it greatly.

hydruxo

Yeah I doubt we can buy anything good with strange coins since the game gives them out way more generously now (even without getting them from weeklies anymore)

They give them out more generously now because there is no weekly anymore. It's there to off set the lack of guaranteed coins you used to get from weeklies.

Here's a tweet from Mark Noseworthy a while back that explains it: https://twitter.com/knowsworthy/status/637097015248224256

Schryver

Trying to download the PS4 Legendary Edition remotely but all 4 items have been in the queue for an hour now. Does it not know what to do since I currently have the trial version installed?

That's the part. It's a 290 version of the strike though. Thus why I'm looking for gaffers instead of going on ahead with randoms. For the second part, do Regicide, kill the Tortured Knight that spawns on the bridge 17 times. Just wipe after each kill. Made that part easy. You don't lose points for dying.

I'll wait. Maybe we will have a third by then as well. :)

Yeah, there's a few quests that give you 20+ legendary marks.

I know Fear's Embrace gives you 20 for completing it.

You still looking for someone for the 290 shield bros?

I have the same suspicion. I can just see him selling blueprints instead of the actual item. Then you have to spend the marks to pull it from a blueprint.

Curse you blue!

21305796008_d057fc33a5_o.jpg

GhaleonEB

I'm hearing we all have to do the taken king quests to unlock the raid... Is this confirmed or no?

Yes. And probably quite a few quests after to reach the light level required, though we don't yet know what that is.
I have the same suspicion. I can just see him selling blueprints instead of the actual item. Then you have to spend the marks to have pull it from a blueprint.

Prediction: he sells his usual exotics, but not very high light; you have to infuse them to make them very high level.

lt519

Curse you blue!

Can't infuse exotics, eh?

I'm hearing we all have to do the taken king quests to unlock the raid... Is this confirmed or no?

Wouldn't be surprised if you had to finish the quest called "The Road to King's Fall"...pretty telling name, and to get that you have to finish all The Taken War vanguard quests to unlock that. It's a level 270 mission preceded by the Taken War quests that end at 260. I'm guessing they are trying to put light level gates in the forms of missions so people don't go in to low and bang their heads against the wall. Fits with the Taken War story line as well, it'd be the logical last step..

Sullichin

Do legendary class items, ghosts, and artifacts shard into legendary marks?

And yeah no way Xur just keeps taking coins for new exotics. I'd be pleasantly surprised.

Yes. And probably quite a few quests after to reach the light level required, though we don't yet know what that is.
Do you think we can still do the raid even if we don't have it, but the party leader does?

I remember I could join people for previous raids without even unlocking it first

MrDaravon

I got a legendary artifact from a purple glove engram; do artifacts not have their own icon, or did I get trolled? Don't really care either way, but would be good to know for future reference if Artifacts potentially roll from any armor engram.

Homeboyd

I don't think it's confirmed you HAVE to have this quest to unlock the raid is it? I'm at that step as well and while completing the raid would complete this quest, I think you could still do the raid without having this quest available. Have I missed a confirmation that states otherwise?

Lee

Do legendary class items, ghosts, and artifacts shard into legendary marks?

And yeah no way Xur just keeps taking coins for new exotics. I'd be pleasantly surprised.

After wasting everything on faction rep, coins are the only thing I have left. My pile of coins is all that separates me from a Kinderguardian/Taken Tot at this point. It's depressing, and I hope they're still worth something.

lt519

oh crap, I didnt even think about the raid being locked behind a quest chain. isnt there a quest chain that has teh raid at the end? thought I heard that.

The Road to King's Fall, nobody knows if you have to unlock it though to participate.

No you 100% can and I did. I just thought it was hilarious that this random blue pulse rifle is better then an exotic.

Ah good to know, I honestly didn't know. I haven't landed one yet.

Past experience and knowing that Bungie doesn't like things that allow players to "game" the system.

You can only wear one exotic, it's not exactly gaming the system if you can buy one 280 armor item for strange coins. Cost may have gone up, but I don't see us getting the shaft entirely.

I know there is no hard data on this, but from folks experience so far: Does the actual difficulty of what you are doing effect the quality of the engrams you receive? I don't necessarily mean the color/type of engram, but what the engram turns into. Is a blue engram found in a heroic strike more likely to be higher armor/atk/light than a blue engram found in the level 36 strike playlist, everything else being equal?

It's tied to your light level, not the level of the activity. You can run Patrol at level 290 and grab engrams that decode into higher levels.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I know there is no hard data on this, but from folks experience so far: Does the actual difficulty of what you are doing effect the quality of the engrams you receive? I don't necessarily mean the color/type of engram, but what the engram turns into. Is a blue engram found in a heroic strike more likely to be higher armor/atk/light than a blue engram found in the level 36 strike playlist, everything else being equal?

shermas

Anyone on Xbox having trouble logging in? I clicked on my character and it's been loading for the past 2 minutes

Edit: and there was no error code at the end! Just a message saying I've been disconnected from the Destiny servers

Yeah... i just got booted. Probably good for me to take a break for a little bit. Go outside, get some air, talk to someone, move my body.

Bungie tweeted about it, Poker and I are having the same issues. It's down, it seems.

By the way, add me for the raid tomorrow!

Lee

ive been doing nothing but infusion. been spending my marks solely on infusion. am I doing it wrong?

Not if you like the items. Granted I'm only 260, but I haven't infused anything. I was saving my marks, and just dismantling purples and blues as new ones came along.

Then I wasted all of my marks on accident, so really I'm not one you should be listening to.

spyder_ur

Put me down in the camp that's suspicious that Xur is going to automatically mean guaranteed light upgrades for just strange coins. Happy to be proven wrong, though.

can you get legendary marks for dismantling the following?

-legendary ghosts (brave shell ect.)
-legendary class items (the subclass specific quest ones)

Prediction: he sells his usual exotics, but not very high light; you have to infuse them to make them very high level.

I'm at the required light level. Well, almost, 287. But I'll still have to deal with the taken king quests? All of them??

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
god I hope it wont be all bad. im banking on xur to save me here. also there still handing out strange coins and no one takes them for any reason. So I assume Xur will have them. worst it will be im guess

23 strange coins
25 legendary marks

or
23 strange coins for a 170 piece and you have to get the upgraded version with 125 marks at the koisk.

I just hope it will be the same as it ever was. but as disappointed as ive been with some of the new changes. I doubt it greatly.
10 more strange coins than they used to cost to buy a Year 1 item that can't even be upgraded...?

Guys... I'm gonna say relax.

I will eat crow and be fairly upset, actually, if I'm wrong about this.

But the average person in this thread is progressing MUCH FASTER than the average player of Destiny. Destiny is and has always meant to be accessible to casual players and Xur is the #1 purest embodiment of this ideal.

To dramatically alter his role in progression and acquiring Exotic gear now would make absolutely no sense and undermine much of the time vs. reward balance established by the new Light system for the median playerbase.

I expect Year 2 items, for sale for Strange Coins only. Maybe increased coin prices; I don't actually have a clue how many you'll stack up as a new player going from 1-40 and looking to buy your first exotic these days, which is a very relevant metric. But anything more burdensome or out-of-reach than that would be a complete shock to me.
Past experience and knowing that Bungie doesn't like things that allow players to "game" the system.
Could you clarify how buying items from Xur is remotely "gaming the system"?

chur

oh crap, I didnt even think about the raid being locked behind a quest chain. isnt there a quest chain that has teh raid at the end? thought I heard that.
I currently have a quest called

"The Road to King's Fall"

I haven't started it yet but first mission recommends a 270 light level.

EL CUCO

I dont like juggling between this OT and the gaming side OT. Think I'm just gonna stay here, since this is where the meat of the action is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom