• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the easiest/fastest way to get the 25 flakes?

rank up eris or just farm the chests in the hull breach on the dreadnaught. they spawn in the rooms and corners of the map (really easy to find as a nightstalker). took 30-60 minutes in a full party to find 25.

events happen there every so often, so it's not as boring as spinmetal or helium farming used to be.

R0ckman

Are people playing all day to get to 290 so quickly? Friday raid/290 light requirenment was a horrible idea. I'm going to barely make it. Hopefully the rest of my groups makes it :/

Ophelion

*cracks knuckles* Right then. Time to play.

Here's my question: Can I get my first sword prior to beating the main TTK campaign? Cause if so, uh, I want to, uh, do that.

I don't think so. If I remember correctly, the sword quest comes from beating the final story mission. For reasons that will become clear once you get there.

vctor182

tumblr_na46wtkHxk1r6bewxo1_400.gif

5FCtPpe.gif

lt519

Calling it now, Xur Engram will be chest armor. Hunters and Titans don't have any new Year 2 exotics. Tears will be had. Crest of Alpha Lupi for everyone!

Are people playing all day to get to 290 so quickly? Friday raid/290 light requirenment was a horrible idea. I'm going to barely make it. Hopefully the rest of my groups makes it :/

My group most definitely won't make it. Stupid work/social obligations.

is it hard to get swords?

The first is easy a super easy quest from Shaxx after beating the main story; I haven't seen another yet.

hydruxo

I think Noomie, maybe someone else, said this last night, but SWORDS ARE FANTASTIC AGAINST BOSSES. THE BLOCKING ABSORBS SO MUCH DAMAGE FROM THEIR MELEE HITS.

I'm in love with the swords. They're so fun to use. At first they seemed a little underwhelming but as you get used to them they're awesome. Can't wait to get my exotic version.

Rahvar

Doing a story mission with recommended light level 250. Got 248 and died a bit. Anyone up for helping? Psn thaennon

Update:
Managed it. Took way too long but it was satisfying

Ophelion

I'm in love with the swords. They're so fun to use. At first they seemed a little underwhelming but as you get used to them they're awesome. Can't wait to get my exotic version.

People's love of swords makes me hope Bungie opens up the door for more melee weapons in the future. Even if they are just reskinned swords in essence. Axiom-Battleaxe, please! Cosmic Maul? Space-Mace?

Tjamato88

Just wanted to compiled what I've learned and heard about light leveling for easy reference.

I'm honestly still barely that far into TTK myself so please offer any corrections or clarifications you notice. My apologies if someone has already done this and I missed it, please link me if so so that I can include it in the OP.

First off, basic principles:
  • Your currently equipped Light determines your drops. Always wear your best Light gear (highest attack/defense) when looking to progress

Examples of times when this is very important:
    • Decrypting engrams
    • End of story/strike missions (rewards screen loot rolls)
    • Crucible matches (rewards screen loot rolls)
    • Claiming quest rewards
    • Ranking up/claiming Faction rewards
  • Any engram can potentially equal progression. If an item drops with higher attack/defense than what you are currently wearing, either equip it immediately or, if you don't want it, infuse a Legendary item you do want.
    • Note on decrypting engrams: if you're decrypting a stack of engrams, look at each new item you get and if it is an upgrade, equip it before decrypting your next engram.
    • Infusion: any rare or legendary item with higher light that occupies the same slot (primary, secondary, heavy, helm, gauntlets, chest, boots, class item) can be infused into a legendary item of lower light to raise its attack/defense most of the way to the level of the sacrificed item. Use this to upgrade treasured legendaries you do want by sacrificing new, higher Light items you don't want. You CAN infuse armor items for another class to infuse armor for your target class as long as it's the same armor slot.
  • You can play just about anything for a shot at progressing with these concepts in mind. That said, the Vanguard Heroic Playlist seems to have high drop rates for engrams in general and fair drop rates for Legendary Engrams. Additionally, focusing on Faction rank, which can now be raised in a huge number of ways, can provide many chances for progression upgrades as well.

• Early on, if you acquire a Legendary and then a Rare that outclasses it- counterintuive as it may be, consider merely equipping the Rare and dismantling the Legendary for marks. If you are very attached to the Legendary, of course, you can keep it and infuse the Rare instead.

• Of your gear slots for determining Light, Weapon attack value is weighted the most and Class Items are weighted the least.

• Legendary Marks are acquired as follows:
    • Daily Heroic Story mission: 15 marks (once) per day per account
    • Vanguard Heroic Strike playlist: 10 marks, 3 times per week, per account. NOTE: The first Heroic Strike you complete on each character per week also awards a guaranteed Legendary Engram, which could be looked at as an extra 9 marks for the week if you do one per character.
    • Daily Crucible Playlist match: 15 marks (once) per day per account
    • Weekly PvP Quests: unsure of amount
    • Dismantling Legendaries: 3-5 marks
    • Certain Quest rewards: variable amounts
    Bear in mind, though, that Legendary Marks are not a primary source of progression in the way that Vanguard and Crucible Marks were. They are meant to be supplementary, to help you specialize after the initial progression phase, or used longer-term for specific desired gear from each vendor- particularly weapons as there are some really powerful ones on display. However,
    • Buy a 280 Ghost Shell with your first set of 75 marks as soon as possible. Unlike the flow of upgrades for every other gear slot, Ghost Shells drop extremely rarely, and this will be a significant boost to your total Light.
  • Don't forget Xur. He will be a guaranteed source of very high Light Exotics for Strange Coins. Because Xur hasn't arrived for the first time yet as of the typing of this guide, progression feels a bit more onerous than it will in the long run.
Specific notes for Alts:
  • To jump-start progression on your alts, transfer your highest Light weapons and Ghost shell to them before doing any activities or decrypting engrams. The higher base level will accelerate upgrades rapidly.
  • Bear in mind cross-class armor infusion; a new armor item of slightly lower light than your max level character may be useless on your Hunter but perfect to transfer and infuse into your Warlock with 50 less Light.

That's all I got for now, again please feel free to add any notes you can think of!
So I'm at 205 light level and finished the story. What should I be doing now to progress? Doing the other quests I have or what? I'm not high enough to do any strikes or anything yet.

nowai

So I'm at 205 light level and finished the story. What should I be doing now to progress? Doing the other quests I have or what? I'm not high enough to do any strikes or anything yet.

Do the 36 strike playlist and you will get blues to take you to 280ish when you can start doing the heroic playlist.

Tsosie

Loadouts app is updated finally! Looks good.

Is that the title of the app? Is it on Android? I have checked the store and did not find anything with that specific name. I have been using Bungie's app for a while, but willing to switch if there is something better.

Renta

Banned
I've actually seen one posted with Firefly. Damn man. That with the minotaur perk is exactly what I want.

Is it possible to re-reoll these?

from where

That one vex strike where you carry the ball around the rotating room. (sorry I'm terrible and can't remember the name) The boss drops it.

Edit: It's called the Echo Chamber strike (was on heroic playlist when I did it)

KevinG

Posting this in both OTs:

Feeling an itch to get back into Destiny, but not wanting to invest $40 into it. I was burned so badly by launch and the expansion pass. Actually, I ended up breaking even with selling the Dinkbot and using the money from that whole Gamestop deal last Summer. Bought it for PS4 and Xbox One and quickly realized I could only keep up with friends on one console. Put about 100 hours into the base content, if you include the beta and alpha add 30 hours or so.

The issue with waiting for a price drop ($20 is optimal) is that everyone (friends) will have burned through the content and not want to go back through with me. I've tried to read up on the buying structure for this expansion, but it's genuinely confusing. I own the Digital Collector's Edition on Xbox One, and as far as I can see $40 is the cheapest tier.

daedalius

*cracks knuckles* Right then. Time to play.

Here's my question: Can I get my first sword prior to beating the main TTK campaign? Cause if so, uh, I want to, uh, do that.

You can't, getting it is tied in with the story.

Swords are awesome tho. Got my fire sword last night.

Melting point + sword is insane

Sullichin

Feeling an itch to get back into Destiny, but not wanting to invest $40 into it. I was burned so badly by launch and the expansion pass. Actually, I ended up breaking even with selling the Dinkbot and using the money from that whole Gamestop deal last Summer. Bought it for PS4 and Xbox One and quickly realized I could only keep up with friends on one console. Put about 100 hours into the base content, if you include the beta and alpha add 30 hours or so.

The issue with waiting for a price drop ($20 is optimal) is that everyone (friends) will have burned through the content and not want to go back through with me. I've tried to read up on the buying structure for this expansion, but it's genuinely confusing. I own the Digital Collector's Edition on Xbox One, and as far as I can see $40 is the cheapest tier.

Yeah it's $40 if you have the other DLCs. It also makes the other DLCs look like a joke.

phen0m24

OT◇31|Raiding for Asshats

If that isn't the title there is something wrong with us. It's funny, it's literal, it's a quote from Luke...

You put the gif of Luke back up and the picture of that ghastly titan triangle oryx-butt helmet of awfulness and it's comedy gold, Jerry! :)

lt519

You'll get the go ahead from this thread, but yeah $40 is your option. The game has much more unique content then vanilla Destiny and you can progress for a good 20-30 hours playing ANY of the content unique content (after that it'll probably have to be Raid drops to progress a character). You aren't pigeonholed into one method of progressing like vanilla's loot cave. I'm still unlocking missions 20 hours in. It's a solid $40 purchase if you liked the gunplay of Vanilla but were irked by the progression system and sponge-like bosses.

Can anyone help me with The Taken War Earth quest? I just need Stirok in Rocketyard
PSN: Jafku

We need help with one of the taken champions on earth. Stirok, banner of oryx.

PSN id: Borque

<-<

People's love of swords makes me hope Bungie opens up the door for more melee weapons in the future. Even if they are just reskinned swords in essence. Axiom-Battleaxe, please! Cosmic Maul? Space-Mace?
We can finally get the Cudgel of Xanthor!!

(Please somebody help me take down Stirok in the Rocketyard, PSName is Shinogu126 >_<)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aren't you able to do the level 20 strike playlist?

It really is "whatever you want," anything you can do, with your best gear equipped, has a good chance to move you forward. Quests, strikes, Crucible, patrol, replaying story missions.
I vote for the Return of The King OT title. It fits perfectly.
mm, +1. They've really dun good.

GhaleonEB

Swords elevate this game to a whole different level.

It's been fun to see the evolution of swords in the game, from the Sword of Crota, to the Blades and Crota's End fight, to swords earned through quests. One of those ideas that probably started off small and then bloomed when they saw the potential.

It'll be a while yet before I have mine but looking forward to them. It's fun watching Guardians bust one out and slice and dice.

does progression feel slower than it did in vanilla to anybody else?
im inching my way up little light level at a time. also, im getting the feeling of dismantling all my year 1 stuff. raid weapons and all. didnt think I would but this game keeps telling me to.

Anyone on Xbox having trouble logging in? I clicked on my character and it's been loading for the past 2 minutes

Edit: and there was no error code at the end! Just a message saying I've been disconnected from the Destiny servers

Axoman

Don't forget Xur. He will be a guaranteed source of very high Light Exotics for Strange Coins.

I don't know how you can say that until Xur comes. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of upset people when Xur comes tomorrow.

I have a strong suspicion that Xur's economy is changing in a way detrimental to the player. Either the good stuff will require legendary marks, or we won't be able to buy multiple exotic items, or they will be very low defense/attack exotics.

I can't see Bungie being as generous with Xur as they used to be.

lt519

does progression feel slower than it did in vanilla to anybody else?
im inching my way up little light level at a time. also, im getting the feeling of dismantling all my year 1 stuff. raid weapons and all. didnt think I would but this game keeps telling me to.

Slower but much more of a steady progression. Every hour you play you should probably be going up 5 light. In vanilla you could get stuck on one light level for days/weeks/months. Big jumps in vanilla tied to significant events but here you can just play and you'll cruise along regardless of what you play. Hence people over 290 light wearing all blues.

I don't know how you can say that until Xur comes. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of upset people when Xur comes tomorrow.

I have a strong suspicion that Xur's economy is changing in a way detrimental to the player. Either the good stuff will require legendary marks, or we won't be able to buy multiple exotic items, or they will be very low defense/attack exotics.

I can't see Bungie being as generous with Xur as they used to be.

Yeah I doubt we can buy anything good with strange coins since the game gives them out way more generously now (even without getting them from weeklies anymore)

Tjamato88

Aren't you able to do the level 20 strike playlist?

It really is "whatever you want," anything you can do, with your best gear equipped, has a good chance to move you forward. Quests, strikes, Crucible, patrol, replaying story missions.

mm, +1. They've really dun good.
Oh yeah I guess I can do that. I just assumed that something that low-leveled wouldn't help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom