• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.
tried doing the TLW quest this morning, thinking i needed 10 kills or something. then I saw after a kill it went up by a single percentage point. what?!?! no thanks

I went 15-7 in a Skirmish with TLW equipped and only got 3% on that quest. I even got kills with the TLW. I don't get that ish.

I know those feels, had matches where I ended with a 1.5-1.8 kd and was barely ticking upwards. Then I took a shotty into Classic 6v6 and did work thanks to landing on Thieves Den 2x. Got most of it done in 3 good matches, picking up 25% pts each time. Going on killing streaks helps a ton.

I was doing a bounty on the moon and I found some yellow bar wolf dregs in the temple.

One of them dropped a purple engram and I was so excited to grab it.

it was a fucking token of flight

vctor182

I've spent most of my time at work today deciding what to do with my Legendary Marks. I'm thinking boots, low cost, get me some more light and can kick the can down the road on what exotic I want to buy until after Xur shows up. Already got a 280 Ghost and a pretty high cloak.

I think spending marks on upgrading exotic weapons to 2.0 instead of armor is better this time, since you can swap guns around your characters increasing their light and therefore can do higher level stuff quicker and the drops will have higher level of light too

ich00

Sidearms kill faster in its intended range.
Shotguns can slide right through its range before you kill the player.
The reticle bounces all over the place maximizing for its TTK in this range.

If you can get around its inconsistency, it's still a decent gun. The problem is that it's outmatched everywhere now. It caters purely to a hipfire fantasy and even then there are guns that do that better now.

They messed up one of Destiny's best guns because of 5 other things that were wrong with the game before The Last Word. I don't see the point of TLW anymore.

I think you're expressing what high level last word users are all feeling.

I was Ok with it pre 2.0 and now don't feel the changes that much, range for sure, otherwise not really. My brother on the other hand used that gun all the time and is a very good PvP'er and he hates it now. Pulled it out for the first time yesterday to work on the bounty, then back in the vault it goes.

I see what you're saying too. I was starting to get the hang of it when they nerfed it, and there's plenty of guns I'd rather use first. It's a shame, then ruined the coolest looking gun (looks and and animation) in the game.

I know those feels, had matches where I ended with a 1.5-1.8 kd and was barely ticking upwards. Then I took a shotty into Classic 6v6 and did work thanks to landing on Thieves Den 2x. Got most of it done in 3 good matches, picking up 25% pts each time. Going on killing streaks helps a ton.

This is definitely not the first time I've heard people going into the classic 6v6 to get this bounty done, might be something to it.

GhaleonEB

OT |31| Return of the King

A bit on the nose, but it fits for both Bungie, and Oryx with the raid release.

Alternately:

OT |31| Raiding for Asshats

I think Noomie, maybe someone else, said this last night, but SWORDS ARE FANTASTIC AGAINST BOSSES. THE BLOCKING ABSORBS SO MUCH DAMAGE FROM THEIR MELEE HITS.

Daemul

FWC cloak bought! Now I've got a full set of perfect rolled legendary gear ready to be infused, except for the fucking artifact, where the fuck do you get that shit?
wtzgU.gif

Legendary marks have been far easier to come across than I first anticipated, over the past 2 days I've gotten over 350 of them and used them to buy vendor gear and infuse it. At 274 light I'm progressing at a slower pace than many people here and their 290+ light, but hey, at least the first time I do the Raid it will be with my most min-maxed set up.

I remember the VoG and how much of a pain it was to go through it without non optimal gear, I have no intention of going through that shit again.

FWC cloak bought! Now I've got a full set of perfect rolled legendary gear ready to be infused, except for the fucking artifact, where the fuck do you get that shit?
wtzgU.gif

Legendary marks have been far easier to come across than I first anticipated, over the past 2 days I've gotten over 350 of them and used them to buy vendor gear and infuse it. At 274 light I'm progressing at a slower pace than many people here and their 290+ light, but hey, at least the first time I do the Raid it will be with my most min-maxed set up.

I remember the VoG and how much of a pain it was to go through it without non optimal gear, I have no intention of going through that shit again.

I refuse to believe you have 350 over 2 days.

wtzgU.gif

Yup,
My crappy 244 artifact is holding me back. Dont know where to get a good one

Sullichin

wtzgU.gif

Howww did you get so many marks? I have like 65 and I've played a stupid amount.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
First off, basic principles:
  • Your currently equipped Light determines your drops. Always wear your best Light gear (highest attack/defense) when looking to progress

Examples of times when this is very important:
    • Decrypting engrams
    • End of story/strike missions (rewards screen loot rolls)
    • Crucible matches (rewards screen loot rolls)
    • Claiming quest rewards
    • Ranking up/claiming Faction rewards
  • Any engram can potentially equal progression. If an item drops with higher attack/defense than what you are currently wearing, either equip it immediately or, if you don't want it, infuse a Legendary item you do want.
    • Note on decrypting engrams: if you're decrypting a stack of engrams, look at each new item you get and if it is an upgrade, equip it before decrypting your next engram.
      • ABSOLUTE MIN-MAXER'S NOTE: If you have a stack of engrams you're decrypting of various types, look at each of your slots and decrypt the engram type for the slot with the least attack/defense first. Because your total Light is an average, the Light for this slot "counts more" and will raise your loot table "floor" more dramatically if you get an upgrade. This approach will eventually result in your slots having Light values that are grouped closer together, rather than some pieces that are higher and some that are lagging behind.
    • Infusion: any rare or legendary item with higher light that occupies the same slot (primary, secondary, heavy, helm, gauntlets, chest, boots, class item) can be infused into a legendary item of lower light to raise its attack/defense most of the way to the level of the sacrificed item. Use this to upgrade treasured legendaries you do want by sacrificing new, higher Light items you don't want. You CAN infuse armor items for another class to infuse armor for your target class as long as it's the same armor slot.
  • You can play just about anything for a shot at progressing with these concepts in mind. That said, the Vanguard Heroic Playlist seems to have high drop rates for engrams in general and fair drop rates for Legendary Engrams. Additionally, focusing on Faction rank, which can now be raised in a huge number of ways, can provide many chances for progression upgrades as well.

• Early on, if you acquire a Legendary and then a Rare that outclasses it- counterintuive as it may be, consider merely equipping the Rare and dismantling the Legendary for marks. If you are very attached to the Legendary, of course, you can keep it and infuse the Rare instead.

• Of your gear slots for determining Light, Weapon attack value is weighted the most and Class Items are weighted the least.
    • Note: if you have the exotic subclass items that speed subclass leveling, equip them only for turning in bounties to level the subclass quicker. Otherwise, stick with your highest Light Class Item.
  • Legendary Marks are acquired as follows:
    • Daily Heroic Story mission: 15 marks (once) per day per account
    • Vanguard Heroic Strike playlist: 10 marks, 3 times per week, per account. NOTE: The first Heroic Strike you complete on each character per week also awards a guaranteed Legendary Engram, which could be looked at as an extra 9 marks for the week if you do one per character.
    • Daily Crucible Playlist match: 15 marks (once) per day per account
    • Weekly PvP Quests: unsure of amount
    • Dismantling Legendaries: 3-5 marks
    • Certain Quest rewards: variable amounts
    Bear in mind, though, that Legendary Marks are not a primary source of progression in the way that Vanguard and Crucible Marks were. They are meant to be supplementary, to help you specialize after the initial progression phase, or used longer-term for specific desired gear from each vendor- particularly weapons as there are some really powerful ones on display. However,
    • Buy a 280 Ghost Shell with your first set of 75 marks as soon as possible. Unlike the flow of upgrades for every other gear slot, Ghost Shells drop extremely rarely, and this will be a significant boost to your total Light.
  • Don't forget Xur. He will be a guaranteed source of very high Light Exotics for Strange Coins. Because Xur hasn't arrived for the first time yet as of the typing of this guide, progression feels a bit more onerous than it will in the long run.
Specific notes for Alts:
  • To jump-start progression on your alts, transfer your highest Light weapons and Ghost shell to them before doing any activities or decrypting engrams. The higher base level will accelerate upgrades rapidly.
  • Bear in mind cross-class armor infusion; a new armor item of slightly lower light than your max level character may be useless on your Hunter but perfect to transfer and infuse into your Warlock with 50 less Light.

That's all I got for now, again please feel free to add any notes you can think of!

lt519

Awesome Hawk! Is it 10 or 15 marks for the daily story? Wish I knew about not decoding all the engrams at once earlier in my playing!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Awesome Hawk! Is it 10 or 15 marks for the daily story? Wish I knew about not decoding all the engrams at once earlier in my playing!
Thx!

I thought it was 10 but I haven't done one yet! Someone who knows please chime in!

edit: Thx Nami! fixing

Tovarisc

Is there any viable 3 man tactic for clearing Antiquated Rune, or do you just need to hope get super lucky (patrol with ppl in it and that those ppl have proper light and will to do it)?

wtzgU.gif

I got a legendary artifact from Eris.

Vanguard Heroic Strike playlist: 10 marks, 3 times per week, per account. NOTE: The first Heroic Strike you complete on each character per week also awards a guaranteed Legendary Engram.

I didn't read the guaranteed leg engram as a weekly thing. Here's the text.

Guarantee a Legendary Engram drop from a character's first clear of a Weekly Heroic Strike​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom