• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Frame

Got the Strike weapon from the a Fallen SABER Strike, "Baron's Ambition".

296 Light too, but it looks like butt and doesn't seem too special. I want to infuse my sword so it gets over 280 Light, then I can make it an exotic sword.

We can always get Strike rewards again right?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
You guys just need to play strikes and do quests. Only I'd spend marks on is infusion if you want it and a ghost shell. Someone post the hawkian guide

colinp

Banned
Woooooo happy Santa coming in less than eleven hours. Yay yay!

Even if it's just one new exotic, whether weapon or armor, I'm totally psyched.

Depending on the price I might even pick up an old exotic to celebrate, too.

Today was a good day. Wanted to reach 280 light, surpassed that goal and then some. Would've even hit 288, but I infused my legs with extra Rocket ammo with the higher defense ones I had, so I had to settle for 287.

Still lookin' mighty fine.

NUJ2ctk.jpg

Gonna postpone raiding until saturday, so I can go out and have drinks tomorrow. Gonna go in blind, so I'll be staying off of DestinyGAF on saturday. :lol

Nice!

I just got up to 280's today too.

Gonna spend tomorrow grinding strikes, doing exotic bounties.

Namikaze1

Definitely buy the 280 Ghost. No Ghost for me so far has dropped with a rating higher than the vendor one. Got one that came close to it (275) from doing the tier 3 CoO with Drizzay and Sentinel earlier.

shermas

Any xbros want to finish up a Heroic with me? I'm outside Valus right now... send me an XBL note.

The other dude I was playing with just left.

Arrrammis

It's a purple engram that says sublime instead of legendary in the title. Got mine from shooting guys. I think the only difference is to differentiate PS exclusive stuff.
Interestingly enough, I actually got exotic gloves out of a sublime engram (the new warlock ones), so they could have PS exclusive stuff or exotic stuff.

Definitely buy the 280 Ghost. No Ghost for me so far has dropped with a rating higher than the vendor one. Got one that came close to it (275) from doing the tier 3 CoO with Drizzay and Sentinel earlier.

So you think it's worth it to spend legendary marks on it this early?

is there any reason to run heroic strikes after the initial 3. are the loot drops better on the heroic playlist than the regular 36 playlist?

Frenden

Banned
So you think it's worth it to spend legendary marks on it this early?

I only spent marks on the Vanguard ghost. I hit 289 earlier by playing strikes, patrol for quests, and a small amount of Crucible.The big, early boost of the Ghost helped a lot.

Just make sure to equip your best items when turning in engrams. We've talked about it, but turning in engrams methodically and checking if each new thing ups your light level is the easiest way to min/max your drops.

So, yeah--you totally don't need to have tons of marks to hit raid level. (And I just finally got a Ghost that was 285 or something like that from a strike.)

Kyne

anyone finish the Shax questline for crucible? What are the 'hard' bountys, and what is the reward? If I recall it was "nightfall-like" gear?

rc213

I only spent marks on the Vanguard ghost. I hit 289 earlier by playing strikes, patrol for quests, and a small amount of Crucible.The big, early boost of the Ghost helped a lot.

Just make sure to equip your best items when turning in engrams. We've talked about it, but turning in engrams methodically and checking if each new thing ups your light level is the easiest way to min/max your drops.

So, yeah--you totally don't need to have tons of marks to hit raid level. (And I just finally got a Ghost that was 285 or something like that from a strike.)

Thanks for this, being doing this today and it definitely helped.

Well now that I understand the new leveling and loot systems, i'd like to offer some more cohesive thoughts on it.

What I think is good
  • Quests have breathed life into the game that it didn't have previously. Now there will always be something to do and talk about because there will be dozens of Quests to pursue, each with their own challenges and rewards. And yes, they are challenging and they are rewarding. The Taken War stuff especially had me ecstatic and they're a blast to play with friends.
  • The slope is less steep. This is good for the obvious reason that you aren't immediately handicapped if you are a level below the enemy. You can be level 40 and be stronger than a level 41 enemy based on your light; or can get wrecked by a level 38 if your light is low. With this system, it is still obvious that being a higher light makes you more powerful, but the differences between are more granular. This is good for the community and good for longetivity.
  • Infusing Legendary gear is fun and lets people keep the items they want. I was afraid that the Vendor gear would be irrelevant once I'd gotten Raid gear, but now that I know that isn't the case, I'm excited that I'll have more control over how I look. I only wish that it extended to Rare and Uncommon drops somehow, as there is one green helmet I really like that I wish I could keep.
  • Smart Loot dropping out in the wild makes the game more rewarding and more exciting, especially when the boss dies and poops out 3 of them. It isn't always better than what I have, but i have that min/maxing moment to look forward to nonetheless.
  • I like that every piece of gear we have offers a bonus to something.

What I think needs work
  • Quests need to show recommended light levels and be more clear about their rewards.
  • Legendary marks need to be more accessible throughout other activities.
  • I wish infusion didn't cost legendary marks. It feels like whenever I infuse an item, I've somehow lost a lot of time because of how "rare" they seem.
  • The whole "equip items one at a time at the Cryptarch to game the system" feels cheap. I like what it is doing, but it just seems unnatural to me.
  • Artifacts currently seem pointless.

What I think is not good
  • Being forced to use crappy guns with underwhelming stats while I level up made the game feel worse than the 20-24 grind from Vanilla. Going from 200-250 light was a slog because I was being thrown Greens and Blues that were less efficient than my Year One items; however, I had to use them to luck into better drops. That's not fun and it forces me to play with weapons I either don't like using or ones that are not efficient for the job.
  • Cosmetic items contributing to light. There are a bunch of beautiful Ghost Shells now, but I'm forced to use the highest level one so it defeats the purpose. This is especially the case because most of the Ghost Shells are Rare, so I can't infuse them. The same goes for Class Items. I'm fortunate to have fallen for the Marsh cloak, so I'm set; nevertheless, there are hundreds of Class Items that nobody will be wearing now that it doesn't contribute to your light. I like the stats, but I don't like that it affects your power (and I don't think it makes much sense for it to).
  • Quests tied to specific weapon playstyles like "Get kills with The Last Word". First of all, this gun stinks now so that's rubbing salt in the wound, but the fact that the tracking mechanism behind it is cumbersome on top of it makes it needlessly frustrating.
  • We still can't do anything about the stats on our armor. If the smart loot system is less likely to give us dupes, then I'm afraid I might never be able to maximize my builds.
  • Farming Cornflakes and Worm Sperm on the Dreadnaught. Bungie pls.

Doesn't the weekly update say it's only one specific weapon OR an armor engram?

but he usually has 3 armor pieces, a weapon and an engram. the weekly update is saying that its going to be the engram or the weapon. but it doesn't say anything about the armor pieces. hence the mysterious confusion.

Namikaze1

Are you kidding me with that Fear's Embrace quest boss?!
It's total bullshit. I was 20 points higher than the recommended light level when I went to do it. Went in solo and got decimated during the fight. It definitely requires a team to complete it. I found the mission after it much easier to complete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom