• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT30| Long Live the King

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing I bought with L marks was the ghost from the vanguard. every other mark was used for infusion. Except for 25 marks I used to ascend the strangers rifle because I wanted to know what it went to, hoping it would go to year 2 levels. I was wrong and wished I hadnt done it.

GlamFM

Banned
Should I buy an y2 exotic now if I want it or are my marks better spent on something else?

Or should I wait for Xur?

Frenden

Banned
Destiny thinks I'm a Seahawks fan. I've gotten two of the arms, two of the chest, one legs, and one cloak for the Seahawks themed Crucible gear on my hunter.

All I need is the helmet for a full set, lol.

I only spent marks on the Vanguard ghost. I hit 289 earlier by playing strikes, patrol for quests, and a small amount of Crucible.The big, early boost of the Ghost helped a lot.

Just make sure to equip your best items when turning in engrams. We've talked about it, but turning in engrams methodically and checking if each new thing ups your light level is the easiest way to min/max your drops.

So, yeah--you totally don't need to have tons of marks to hit raid level. (And I just finally got a Ghost that was 285 or something like that from a strike.)

Got it - thank you! I'll buy it then...

Absolutely yes... I posted a guide a bit back with some othertips. In the middle of a match or id link

Thanks Hawk. Can you PM me it when you get a chance?

Namikaze1

How are people getting 300 lvl artifacts, is it part of a quest?
Yes. The Eris quest where you have to complete 6 tier 1 Court of Oryx events, 3 tier 2, and a tier 3.

Tier 3 can also drop 300 Artifacts if you're lucky. But completing the Eris quest guarantees you one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really good analysis Zoba. I haven't minded being forced into using better-stat guns I wouldn't ordinarily use so much... it makes it feel like I'm starting from scratch, but that's definitely intended. It won't be so long til we're all back to only using a plethora of high level gear and switching only situationally or by preference, so being back on this sort of swap-out-every-5-minutes-for-something-better train feels rewarding to me.

I particularly agree about the cosmetic items- this is one thing I'm sanguine Bungie will address via feedback. Simply put we should be able to wear whatever Ghost Shell and Class Item we want without such a severe, unavoidable penalty to Light. I'll put in the work to Infuse my Cloudwalker Tribute up to max... just let me please.

Just a clarification, you don't actually have to get kills with TLW during that quest, you just need it equipped. You can also unequip it to halt negative process if a match is going badly.

Really good analysis Zoba. I haven't minded being forced into using better-stat guns I wouldn't ordinarily use so much... it makes it feel like I'm starting from scratch, but that's definitely intended. It won't be so long til we're all back to only using a plethora of high level gear and switching only situationally or by preference, so being back on this sort of swap-out-every-5-minutes-for-something-better train feels rewarding to me.

I particularly agree about the cosmetic items- this is one thing I'm sanguine Bungie will address via feedback. Simply put we should be able to wear whatever Ghost Shell and Class Item we want without such a severe, unavoidable penalty to Light. I'll put in the work to Infuse my Cloudwalker Tribute up to max... just let me please.

Just a clarification, you don't actually have to get kills with TLW during that quest, you just need it equipped. You can also unequip it to halt negative process if a match is going badly.

does this count for the Shotgun part too?

also, my issue with the weapon situation is that for a while my highest weapons were a Hand Cannon and Shotgun. Getting close to an enemy more powerful than you with a 2.0 Shotgun is no bueno, and I would have rather been using a Scout Rifle for range and DPS. Being close to use the HC meant I was reloading a lot and dying even more.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Reposting, adding to the OP now as well.
First off, basic principles:
  • Your currently equipped Light determines your drops. Always wear your best Light gear (highest attack/defense) when looking to progress

Examples of times when this is very important:
    • Decrypting engrams
    • End of story/strike missions (rewards screen loot rolls)
    • Crucible matches (rewards screen loot rolls)
    • Claiming quest rewards
    • Ranking up/claiming Faction rewards
  • Any engram can potentially equal progression. If an item drops with higher attack/defense than what you are currently wearing, either equip it immediately or, if you don't want it, infuse a Legendary item you do want.
    • Note on decrypting engrams: if you're decrypting a stack of engrams, look at each new item you get and if it is an upgrade, equip it before decrypting your next engram.
    • Infusion: any rare or legendary item with higher light that occupies the same slot (primary, secondary, heavy, helm, gauntlets, chest, boots, class item) can be infused into a legendary item of lower light to raise its attack/defense most of the way to the level of the sacrificed item. Use this to upgrade treasured legendaries you do want by sacrificing new, higher Light items you don't want. You CAN infuse armor items for another class to infuse armor for your target class as long as it's the same armor slot.
  • You can play just about anything for a shot at progressing with these concepts in mind. That said, the Vanguard Heroic Playlist seems to have high drop rates for engrams in general and fair drop rates for Legendary Engrams. Additionally, focusing on Faction rank, which can now be raised in a huge number of ways, can provide many chances for progression upgrades as well.

• Early on, if you acquire a Legendary and then a Rare that outclasses it- counterintuive as it may be, consider merely equipping the Rare and dismantling the Legendary for marks. If you are very attached to the Legendary, of course, you can keep it and infuse the Rare instead.

• Of your gear slots for determining Light, Weapon attack value is weighted the most and Class Items are weighted the least.

• Legendary Marks are acquired as follows:
    • Daily Heroic Story mission: 15 marks (once) per day per account
    • Vanguard Heroic Strike playlist: 10 marks, 3 times per week, per account. NOTE: The first Heroic Strike you complete on each character per week also awards a guaranteed Legendary Engram, which could be looked at as an extra 9 marks for the week if you do one per character.
    • Daily Crucible Playlist match: 15 marks (once) per day per account
    • Weekly PvP Quests: unsure of amount
    • Dismantling Legendaries: 3-5 marks
    • Certain Quest rewards: variable amounts
    Bear in mind, though, that Legendary Marks are not a primary source of progression in the way that Vanguard and Crucible Marks were. They are meant to be supplementary, to help you specialize after the initial progression phase, or used longer-term for specific desired gear from each vendor- particularly weapons as there are some really powerful ones on display. However,
    • Buy a 280 Ghost Shell with your first set of 75 marks as soon as possible. Unlike the flow of upgrades for every other gear slot, Ghost Shells drop extremely rarely, and this will be a significant boost to your total Light.
  • Don't forget Xur. He will be a guaranteed source of very high Light Exotics for Strange Coins. Because Xur hasn't arrived for the first time yet as of the typing of this guide, progression feels a bit more onerous than it will in the long run.
Specific notes for Alts:
  • To jump-start progression on your alts, transfer your highest Light weapons and Ghost shell to them before doing any activities or decrypting engrams. The higher base level will accelerate upgrades rapidly.
  • Bear in mind cross-class armor infusion; a new armor item of slightly lower light than your max level character may be useless on your Hunter but perfect to transfer and infuse into your Warlock with 50 less Light.

That's all I got for now, again please feel free to add any notes you can think of!

Really? I read on reddit that the strike-themed cloaks and bonds only dropped on heroic. I haven't gotten any, so I don't know.

Maybe the cloaks and bonds do, I dunno. Got a fusion rifle from the Heroic Darkblade earlier, and this Scout Rifle dropped from the normal one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
does this count for the Shotgun part too?

also, my issue with the weapon situation is that for a while my highest weapons were a Hand Cannon and Shotgun. Getting close to an enemy more powerful than you with a 2.0 Shotgun is no bueno, and I would have rather been using a Scout Rifle for range and DPS. Being close to use the HC meant I was reloading a lot and dying even more.

Not sure about the shotgun part- what does that quest step actually say?

I totally get being forced into playstyles you don't want to use. Definitely sympathize, I just don't mind it as much.

Ambitious

"Talk to Ikora"
"Talk to Zavala"
"Talk to Cayde"
"Talk to Eris Morn"
"Talk to Arach Jalaal"
"Talk to Petra Venj"
"Talk to Variks"

Why? None of them has anything worthwhile to say. It's just a lazy way of padding out those shitty grind quests.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Yasss I got the quest from the Gunsmith for the Exotic Fusion Rifle (I assume). It starts by having to kill things with Fusion Rifles with a Special Weapon telemetry active.

I got the quest by handing in 4 of those purple FR item drops that go in your inventory, on the fourth hand-in I also ranked up to rank 2 with the Smith.

Yasss I got the quest from the Gunsmith for the Exotic Fusion Rifle (I assume). It starts by having to kill things with Fusion Rifles with a Special Weapon telemetry active.

I got the quest by handing in 4 of those purple FR item drops that go in your inventory, on the fourth hand-in I also ranked up to rank 2 with the Smith.

That's a legendary you'll get. Exotic gunsmith quests come at rank 3.

Jinjo

Allright, 150 marks. Xur better bring an engram tomorrow so I can roll for exotic Hunter gear. Then decide whether I want to buy Suros or my precious Hawkmoon and I'm probably almost raid ready.

So who still needs to find a group for the raid?

1. Subtervotion (me)

I'd like to do it as close to launch as possible. Quote me, message me, etc.

Tsosie

Quick question. If I have a 220 Legendary that I like and like three blues that are 245, 250 , 255 respectively, what is my best option for reaching the best light level with the legendary.

1. Infuse the 245, then the 250, then the 255.
2. Just infuse the 255.

It do not want to waste marks this early in the week.

"Talk to Ikora"
"Talk to Zavala"
"Talk to Cayde"
"Talk to Eris Morn"
"Talk to Arach Jalaal"
"Talk to Petra Venj"
"Talk to Variks"

Why? None of them has anything worthwhile to say. It's just a lazy way of padding out those shitty grind quests.

If they actually voice acted the lines, and made it like a Mass Effect thing, it would be sweet. Please Bungie, for Destiny 2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
so wearing that Lvl 20 Exotic Class item to rank up your subclass is actually hurting you in the long run with its lower light level?
Definitely. I equip mine just when turning in bounties to level Nightstalker faster, then switch back to my highest level cloak

Edit: I'll make a not about this in the guide, thanks.

Lnkn52

It's been a rough 6 months for my GF but she finally got a new job and hopefully this place treats her better than the last. So happy for her.

so wearing that Lvl 20 Exotic Class item to rank up your subclass is actually hurting you in the long run with its lower light level?

yup, all gear you get is based on your light level. so the higher your light is the higher the light the gear you ll get will be. its kind of nonsense if you ask me. I dont feel like I have any goals, no carrot so to speak. just creeping up the numbers scale.

Not sure about the shotgun part- what does that quest step actually say?

I totally get being forced into playstyles you don't want to use. Definitely sympathize, I just don't mind it as much.

Use a Shotgun to defeat Guardians in the Crucible and high-level minions of the Darkness

cilonen

Reposting, adding to the OP now as well.

That's all good stuff. But the user experience is now worse than it was when light correlated to your main level.

Now I'm max level 40 but still gated to certain activities through light level, but it's not obvious any more and, if anything, more frustrating.

There's no point in decoupling light and max level if you're still going to gate via light. The level becomes irrelevant, especially as most of us hit 40 in about half an hour.

Tecnniqe

Banned
"Talk to Ikora"
"Talk to Zavala"
"Talk to Cayde"
"Talk to Eris Morn"
"Talk to Arach Jalaal"
"Talk to Petra Venj"
"Talk to Variks"

If only it said
Talk to Cayde
Talk to Cayde
Talk to Cayde
Talk to Cayde
Talk to Cayde
Talk to Cayde
Talk to Cayde

Quick question. If I have a 220 Legendary that I like and like three blues that are 245, 250 , 255 respectively, what is my best option for reaching the best light level with the legendary.

1. Infuse the 245, then the 250, then the 255.
2. Just infuse the 255.

It do not want to waste marks this early in the week.

good question, I would like to know the answer to this as well.

Great day: got the Boolean Gemini, upgraded the 1000-Yard Stare sniper to 297 and my sword to 293, finally finished the Dead Orbit faction quest for the exotic cloak and hit 294 Light overall.

Sullichin

Very pleased it seems Xur will still take coins. Last time I was excited for Xur though was around Christmas when he sold Dragons Breath so I'm not going to get my hopes up.

DB and NLB are dying for updated Y2 versions because they were wasted in Y1. NLB is good now but capped at 170. Dragons Breath has so much potential to be cool.

BahamutPT

Did entire HoW storyline in hopes that was why I hadn't received the Scout Rifle yet.

Still didn't get it. So frustrating.

If you've just completed Wolves on Mars, I believe you need to wait until tomorrow. Petra should give you a new quest rewarding you with the Scout Rifle (it only has 2 or 3 steps).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom