• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Is anyone planning on running Oryx (PS4) tonight? I've done everything up until that point and know how to do the final fight, just haven't had the chance to get a group.
My friend and I are going to try and put a group together. Might be a bit though. He is off in 30 minutes, then working out, then he'll be on. Feel free to add me. If you find a group before, awesome. If not, I'll shoot you an invite if you're on when we start here in an hour....hour and a half.

VincentAlexander

todd360

we can't all be masochists

Yeah I suppose.

Maybe 3 sunsinger teams can out play them? Just run for the hills when sunbreakers super shows up and hope at least one of you gets out of there. Anyone who died just comes back after the hammer time is over. This pretty much depends on your team getting supers before or at the same time as the other team and only using radiance for countering your assured death by hammer.

Nighthawk should be useful as well. You can take out a sunbreaker easy if your good. Only problem is you only have one shot. Miss and your fucked. Get the hit and then another titan supers and your fucked.

Had a real fun oryx fight tonight, and a couple of other great raid experiences in the last couple of weeks. I really missed six person shenanigans. I ran my 292 titan, and didn't scrub it up at all due to the lower light level. Most of my scrub moves were due to forgetting what phase we were on and running the wrong way.

Hammer Time is fun, and it did inspire me to quick finish my missions to unlock the dreadnaught patrol so I can do some CoO. A 200 artifact just won't do.

Btw, Coy is now a designated relic runner. By the end he was consistently picking it up well before the hive ship rolled in and the fourth ogre was up.

Yeah I suppose.

Maybe 3 sunsinger teams can out play them? Just run for the hills when sunbreakers super shows up and hope at least one of you gets out of there. Anyone who died just comes back after the hammer time is over. This pretty much depends on your team getting supers before or at the same time as the other team and only using radiance for countering your assured death by hammer.

It really depends on the map.

I don't know. The challenge makes it more exciting to me. I look forward to figuring out strats for dealing with 3 sunbreakers teams.

As much as I like a challenge I don't consider it a valid challenge any more than going up against a team abusing final round on their thorns and snipers. It might be more difficult, but I feel like I'm fighting bad design more than good players.

The only strategy there is is kill them all extremely quickly and don't die.

Bogeypop

Shoutouts to our Raid group!

WRNJC3t.jpg

Considering that 3 of the people had never done the Raid and drassill didn't have a mic so I had to do all of the explaining (which I had never done) along with both me and Tiger having to run roles we had never done before as a result I feel our ~3.5 hour run was really goddamn solid. Everyone got all of the frags, and most of the wasted time was my explanations or trying to get secret chests, we got all the bosses except Oryx done in ~3 or so tries, and Oryx himself was maybe an hour.

Big shoutouts to MrDaravon for having the time and patience to explain the Raid to the newbies in our group. Was a great run!

todd360

As much as I like a challenge I don't consider it a valid challenge any more than going up against a team abusing final round on their thorns and snipers. It might be more difficult, but I feel like I'm fighting bad design more than good players.

Yeah I can agree with that. Kill them quick strategy is probably the best as well. We are just going to have to get extremely good.

Destiny PvP in a nutshell.

maomaoIYP

It's possibly the most broken thing I've seen in Destiny PvP since Auto Rifle/Fusion combo at release.

There is no reason that a single class super should just be straight up better than every other super at everything in PvP. I see no reason why every team shouldn't just run double Sunbreaker and a Sunsinger in PvP.

Triple sunbreaker is going to be better. Win 2 rounds, next 3 rounds just take turns doing hammer time. I can imagine it'll be very hard to lose with this strategy.

I'm not sure if void bomb kills sunbreakers, I want to test it out, but I don't want to be disheartened. When they're in hammer time they effectively have the same amount of damage reduction as when a striker does the Fist of Havoc.

If you don't count supers, currently the fastest way to kill sunbreakers are shotgun + melee (good luck getting in close though) and high impact sniper headshot (188 dmg) + primary. I suppose on the largest maps you could just run for it, but in most maps I'm not entirely sure what to do either.

Yeah I can agree with that. Kill them quick strategy is probably the best as well. We are just going to have to get extremely good.

Yup, ultimately git gud will always be the best answer. I take a small degree of solace in knowing that the rest of their kit is pretty reasonable.

MrDaravon

WRNJC3t.jpg

Considering that 3 of the people had never done the Raid and drassill didn't have a mic so I had to do all of the explaining (which I had never done) along with both me and Tiger having to run roles we had never done before as a result I feel our ~3.5 hour run was really goddamn solid. Everyone got all of the frags, and most of the wasted time was my explanations or trying to get secret chests, we got all the bosses except Oryx done in ~3 or so tries, and Oryx himself was maybe an hour. Wish I had gotten better stuff for my Titan though, I hadn't done it with him yet so I was praying for armor pieces, my haul was:

-300 Boots
-300 Auto Rifle
-302 Scout Rifle
-303 Shotgun

At least I had the quest on this character for the 310 Artifact, so between that and my new boots (my old ones were 298...) I went up like 2 light points to 296 with my usual gear equipped. A bit salty that my Warlock and Hunter sailed over 300 with no problems though. I've probably only got one more week of raiding on all 3 of my characters though unless they up the light level on these drops, literally 90% of my raid drops have been between 300 and 304, most at 300. It's infuriating.

Speaking of Rocket Launchers, does anyone get more than 2 rockets from Heavy or did they stealth nerf heavy ammo finally? I'd assume field scout would then give you 4 rockets in PvP.

Asking becasue I had armor that gave me additional Rocket Launcher ammo and it was still 2 rockets in PvP

Triple sunbreaker is going to be better. Win 2 rounds, next 3 rounds just take turns doing hammer time. I can imagine it'll be very hard to lose with this strategy.

I'm not sure if void bomb kills sunbreakers, I want to test it out, but I don't want to be disheartened. When they're in hammer time they effectively have the same amount of damage reduction as when a striker does the Fist of Havoc.

If you don't count supers, currently the fastest way to kill sunbreakers are shotgun + melee (good luck getting in close though) and high impact sniper headshot (188 dmg) + primary. I suppose on the largest maps you could just run for it, but in most maps I'm not entirely sure what to do either.

Nova Bomb definitely kills, as would a Fist. Those both do upwards of 700 damage against a normal defense enemy whereas Golden Gun only does around 420, only slightly more than a high impact sniper headshot.

Sunbreakers in Trials will just make the first two rounds super (pun intended) important. If you jump out to a quick lead you can bury them before their Hammers activate. If you have slow rounds or fall behind... ehhhhh

Farm a bunch of Court of Oryx for engrams, equip any new gear you get that has higher Light and keep decrypting. The light level of gear you get is based on your character's light level so you will naturally keep getting higher and higher drops up towards 280 until it starts flattening out. Once you get around 285-290 then hop in the raid.

Thank you as well! I just did some of it now and got a bunch of blue engrams out of it.

Sykane

Anyone looking to kill Oryx on the PS4? Me and a buddy got all the way through the raid but have the checkpoint for oryx and never finished it. We would love to get that finished tonight of possible. PSN name is wmc342, let me know if anyone is interested

maomaoIYP

Nova Bomb definitely kills, as would a Fist. Those both do upwards of 700 damage against a normal defense enemy whereas Golden Gun only does around 420, only slightly more than a high impact sniper headshot.

Sunbreakers in Trials will just make the first two rounds super (pun intended) important. If you jump out to a quick lead you can bury them before their Hammers activate. If you have slow rounds or fall behind... ehhhhh

Thanks for the numbers Drizz. Not the best option available but ehhhhh I'll take whatever I can get.

If you absolutely want to go overkill, Hunters could equip Nighthawk.

Speaking of Rocket Launchers, does anyone get more than 2 rockets from Heavy or did they stealth nerf heavy ammo finally? I'd assume field scout would then give you 4 rockets in PvP.

Asking becasue I had armor that gave me additional Rocket Launcher ammo and it was still 2 rockets in PvP

Can carry 2 normally, 3 with heavy boots, and 4 with heavy boots + heavy chest.

Feetie brings up a good point about maps being a large factor in countering sunbreakers as well. Seeing what the map rotation for trials is this time will be interesting. I imagine it will be what it was last time with Dungeons, and Bannerfall added and perhaps one more. Smart teams will use sunbreakers to push teams into a kill zone where the other two are set up. Running in the open will be tough since titans are the fastest and the hammers have decent range. Running through tunnels might be doable if the arc of the throw causes the hammer to hit the ceiling when throwing at range. They will be hard on Burning Shrine and somewhat easier on Thieves Den.

Regular raid team finally got to Oryx, had to pack it in. Pretty awesome though!

Got the Hunter legs, ghost shell and that sweet rocket launcher.

Oryx seems crazy impossible though.

Dante316

I have to say this expansion has me now looking at low level legendary more. Exclusive strike weapons.., different perks of weapons and of course ability for the weapons to level up.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

WRNJC3t.jpg

Considering that 3 of the people had never done the Raid and drassill didn't have a mic so I had to do all of the explaining (which I had never done) along with both me and Tiger having to run roles we had never done before as a result I feel our ~3.5 hour run was really goddamn solid. Everyone got all of the frags, and most of the wasted time was my explanations or trying to get secret chests, we got all the bosses except Oryx done in ~3 or so tries, and Oryx himself was maybe an hour. Wish I had gotten better stuff for my Titan though, I hadn't done it with him yet so I was praying for armor pieces, my haul was:

-300 Boots
-300 Auto Rifle
-302 Scout Rifle
-303 Shotgun

At least I had the quest on this character for the 310 Artifact, so between that and my new boots (my old ones were 298...) I went up like 2 light points to 296 with my usual gear equipped. A bit salty that my Warlock and Hunter sailed over 300 with no problems though. I've probably only got one more week of raiding on all 3 of my characters though unless they up the light level on these drops, literally 90% of my raid drops have been between 300 and 304, most at 300. It's infuriating.

Yeah, even though we had 3 brand new raiders, it was a really good run and we crushed it all :) And this was despite me being on a stupid hunter and drassill trying to chain lightning Oryx :p Thx for leading the raid. I knew it was either you or me, and you were obviously much better at me than me.

WRNJC3t.jpg

-300 Boots
-300 Auto Rifle
-302 Scout Rifle
-303 Shotgun

You've definitely got a future in Sherpaing after that. Those boss fights were a breeze and if it wasn't for some weird Oryx wipes we would have had him down pretty quick too. I can only hope all my runs go that well in the future.

maomaoIYP

I'm pretty sure that the extra RL ammo perk is worthless in PvP. You get 2 rockets unless you have tripod.
The extra ammo perks have been nerfed in general for TTK, the max is typically 5 where it used to be 7. You'd be much better off taking a leg piece with extra shotgun/sniper ammo.

This being said, arc exotic sword gives about 7 shots of the R2 in PvP, making it a hilarious and possibly viable option for trials.

Gragen

Anyone have any thoughts on crest of alpha lupi year 2 for my hunter...not sure about it as I'm playing nightstalker.

Zocano

Stumbled on old Destiny GDC panel and thought over how this game lacks a sense of adventure, really. I think it's mostly that the environments don't feel like places. Aesthetically, sure I think they've got it in a lot of ways, but mechanically every area just feels too "video gamey". Like I can see video game linear structure too easily. There isn't a lot of room to explore places (that includes areas with nothing in them because that's important to actual rewarding exploration). Like actually going through the empty skyscrapers in Mars or Venus. Would add a lot to the environments. They were kinda heading in the right direction with the Dreadnaught, though.

Only times I really get that feel is in the raids. Highly detailed and deliberately have a lot of secrets in the areas with lots of lore behind each detail. If only the patrol areas had that kind of detail.

Yeah they're good, but every class (Not subclass lol) has access to good grenades. They also still have T-Rex arms, even though they are more lethal now, but I don't plan to get that close to them.

Except Nightstalkers

They get the crappy horizontal grenade, the crappy vertical grenade that hits nothing, and the warlock grenade.

No stickies on them!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I was trying to kill the adds since you guys kept dying to them, but then I would still be in Stormtrance when it was time to DPS Oryx D:

I knew exactly what you were trying to do but it's more fun to say you were trying to fry Oryx. :)

Stupid warlock class! That's what I blame :p

Stumbled on old Destiny GDC panel and thought over how this game lacks a sense of adventure, really. I think it's mostly that the environments don't feel like places. Aesthetically, sure I think they've got it in a lot of ways, but mechanically every area just feels too "video gamey". Like I can see video game linear structure too easily. There isn't a lot of room to explore places (that includes areas with nothing in them because that's important to actual rewarding exploration). Like actually going through the empty skyscrapers in Mars or Venus. Would add a lot to the environments. They were kinda heading in the right direction with the Dreadnaught, though.

Only times I really get that feel is in the raids. Highly detailed and deliberately have a lot of secrets in the areas with lots of lore behind each detail. If only the patrol areas had that kind of detail.

i blame last gen

WRNJC3t.jpg

-300 Boots
-300 Auto Rifle
-302 Scout Rifle
-303 Shotgun

Yes, thank you so much everyone. That felt like a really smooth raid, especially for us first timers. That was the kind of group I really love to play with. Everyone was chill and very patient with any screwups and the attitude of everyone was always positive. Really liked playing through this one and couldn't have asked for a better group for the first run. Inched a little closer to 300 and I think if I get a ghost in a run I should be able to hit it.

Excellent work describing everything to us MrDaravon. It made it so easy to know what to expect. Hope to raid with everyone again in the future.

Top Bottom