• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Except Nightstalkers

They get the crappy horizontal grenade, the crappy vertical grenade that hits nothing, and the warlock grenade.

No stickies on them!

Yeah, exactly why I make the class and subclass distinction. I'd almost go so far as to say that Gunslingers have the only good hunter grenades now that arc bolt has been nerfed. I need to use Flux more before I can say that though. When I've used it before though it felt wonky due to the tracking and didn't seem to do as much damage as other stickies.

Tecnniqe

Banned
i blame last gen
While it may be last gen, Los Santos even on last gen is really well made, it feels like a city. Destiny maps on the other hand just feels like big open areas split in 4+ areas.

Perhaps having more people in each area could help this. Usually it's all empty.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Yes, thank you so much everyone. That felt like a really smooth raid, especially for us first timers. That was the kind of group I really love to play with. Everyone was chill and very patient with any screwups and the attitude of everyone was always positive. Really liked playing through this one and couldn't have asked for a better group for the first run.

Excellent work describing everything to us MrDaravon. It made it so easy to know what to expect. Hope to raid with everyone again in the future.

It's why I only raid with GAF. I can't stand rage raiders who yell and get upset. If we wipe, we wipe, life goes on :)

Warlocks were a mistake. Just like anime. They're nothing but trash.

Hahaha so true, right???? No one really likes either.

Zocano

It would also be nice if the different hostile races actually did other things besides stand there and wait around to shoot you.

Fallen scavenge and build shit.

Cabal expand presence actively and be all military like.

Vex trying to vex-ify some land

Hive do weird Hive rituals.

Thinking about it now, the worst part of the new raid is everything before the first boss. It's long as hell and has zero armor or weapon drops. Opening the entrance, 2 jumping puzzles where most will die at least once and some like 20 times, getting that useless chest afterwards, then that totem thing. Then finally a boss who might drop something useful.
That's a lot of pointless shit to get to the first loot drop. It's really badly paced.
Not to mention that every boss battle can be beaten inbetween 5-10 minutes. I guess they needed to pad it out but overdid it.

VoG just did it so right.

I really wish we had mini bases/towns on planets. That you will be allowed to go to after you complete certain mission. Like the archive. Why wouldn't we have a presence in there at all times?

Got a 310 Telesto which was an easy infusion into my Spindle (up to 307). But also got a 310 Truth and I'm a little hung up on what to do with it. I mean Truth is a great launcher, but with TTK launchers in general just aren't what they used to be. RLs are more or less useless in the raid and in other PVE activities they just aren't that necessary anymore.

Should I dump it into my legendary sword?

Afrocious

Thinking about it now, the worst part of the new raid is everything before the first boss. It's long as hell and has zero armor or weapon drops. Opening the entrance, 2 jumping puzzles where most will die at least once and some like 20 times, getting that useless chest afterwards, then that totem thing. Then finally a boss who might drop something useful.
That's a lot of pointless shit to get to the first loot drop. It's really badly paced.
Not to mention that every boss battle can be beaten inbetween 5-10 minutes. I guess they needed to pad it out but overdid it.

Disagreed since VoG has too much random stuff going on. Dunno if it's as glitchy as it used to be as well. Also, the geometry of certain parts was terrible - mainly with the gorgon maze and that wall you have to walk along after the vanishing platforms.

Tecnniqe

Banned
One of these days we'll reclaim the cosmodrome...
Gotta take back Cayde's Red Bull stash
It would also be nice if the different hostile races actually did other things besides stand there and wait around to shoot you.

Fallen scavenge and build shit.

Cabal expand presence actively and be all military like.

Vex trying to vex-ify some land

Hive do weird Hive rituals.
Anything that make the world feel alive would do. Sadly this is a MMO which hates to let you see other players.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

That's why VoG is GOAT. Let's not forget that Crota only had one actual boss battle, so at least this new raid got that part right.

Zocano

On replays I can understand, but I think those sections are really important to making a raid feel like a large adventure to go on rather than a quick sequence of encounters.

Bogeypop

So, what do people to with their time between raids? I'm 303 light and feel like life outside of raids is fruitless at the moment.

Welcome to MMOs. Maybe they'll add crafting and gathering in Destiny 2, so people with that exact sentiment who don't want to make alternate characters have something else to do.

Got a 310 Telesto which was an easy infusion into my Spindle (up to 307). But also got a 310 Truth and I'm a little hung up on what to do with it. I mean Truth is a great launcher, but with TTK launchers in general just aren't what they used to be. RLs are more or less useless in the raid and in other PVE activities they just aren't that necessary anymore.

Should I dump it into my legendary sword?
You destroyed a 310 Telesto...?!

-hyperventilates-

Welcomes to MMOs. Maybe they'll add crafting and gathering in Destiny 2, so people with that exact sentiment who don't want to make alternate characters have something else to do.
That'd be nice. I have one alt, but she is at 301 at moment. And I'm not in mood to make a third alt. I probably should just pick something else up while I wait for Raid reset..

So, what do people to with their time between raids? I'm 303 light and feel like life outside of raids is fruitless at the moment.
Try to get all the exotic swords and go mad inbetween your 70th or 80th helium filament you farmed in the last 2 hours while killing 50 enemies but only having 4% done.

Opening the VoG and Confluxes rewarded you with what exactly?

There has to be places of exploration and figuring out the puzzle. Not every little thing has to be rewarded.

I can see exactly why they did that especially going in blind. It was a blast.

And platforming for me is so much fun as well. Love all of those parts.

Well Vault had the Templar's Well and that lasted too long, but the pacing was otherwise solid, I'd agree.

I remember the first time we were doing King's Fall and after we beat Warpriest somebody mentioned that a team was trying to figure out how to beat the third boss. And I'm like "We just spent all this time getting to this one guy and there is a 3rd boss?!"

I love platforming. Don't need a reward to feel satisfied for that.

The reward is beating the Warlocks and watching them fall

Zocano

Anything that make the world feel alive would do. Sadly this is a MMO which hates to let you see other players.

I can see how Staten had a real hard time trying to solve that problem when so much of the game was probably leaning towards that really static and lifeless MMO feel.

Doesn't help the all the missions basically only use these static environments.

maomaoIYP

Has anyone here or on reddit looked into how armor in PvP is affected when you have the perk, "with an arc class you have increased armor"?

I'm guessing that the last tier of chest and leg perks don't work in PvP. I don't think I've ever gotten the "agility bonus" proc from my boots even though I get it all the time in PvE.

edit: Either that or they are disabled during regular crucible. We'll know if solar splash damage chests are all the rage once IB drops.

At least some MMOs have NPCs out in the world. Destiny's patrol spaces are especially barren and not in the adventurous frontier way they were going for.

Afrocious

King's Fall is the best raid out of the three for me. Vault of Glass is a great precursor to it. While there's some parts I feel were rusty, the most of the mechanics with some challenges were fun and quite new to me for a FPS - so VoG at least has that advantage.

Crota's End...was pretty?

King's Fall could lose the jumping parts tbqh. Or at least one. I'd like the next raid to not have jumping puzzles and more thinking puzzles, even if it's something standard like the Tower of Hanoi. Warpriest and Oryx are the most interesting fights for me in KF tbqh.

The reward is beating the Warlocks and watching them fall

Space jumps are the best jumps.

At least some MMOs have NPCs out in the world. Destiny's patrol spaces are especially barren and not in the adventurous frontier way they were going for.

Yea I've always believed in one of the earlier things you said. Last gen is holding this game back immensely and it continues to show.

I'm guessing that the last tier of chest and leg perks don't work in PvP. I don't think I've ever gotten the "agility bonus" proc from my boots even though I get it all the time in PvE.

edit: Either that or they are disabled during regular crucible. We'll know if solar splash damage chests are all the rage once IB drops.

Good point I haven't seen agility boosts either. I would think if they aren't in normalized crucible they wouldn't be in leveled crucible either.

Opening the VoG and Confluxes rewarded you with what exactly?

There has to be places of exploration and figuring out the puzzle. Not every little thing has to be rewarded.

I can see exactly why they did that especially going in blind. It was a blast.

And platforming for me is so much fun as well. Love all of those parts.
+1
Well said

The tomb ship jumping puzzle in King's Fall is my favorite part of the game and I'd say it's the single most adventurous thing Bungie has done for Destiny.

Disagreed since VoG has too much random stuff going on. Dunno if it's as glitchy as it used to be as well. Also, the geometry of certain parts was terrible - mainly with the gorgon maze and that wall you have to walk along after the vanishing platforms.

I still hate and don't know my way around the gorgon maze. I like everything else though. Opening the VoG with the 3 platforms is so much more fun than running back and forth with the relic six times. They make you do one single thing way too many times in a row. The totem puzzle is the same. Ten times back and forth. I'd rather have a shorter but more involved and complicated encounter. Like Oryx itself. I like that boss fight a lot. Same with War Priest. They're both fun and short. The puzzles and platforming in KF just become monotonous after the first time.

Strangely, I do like the later platforming section with the wall dicks. It's funny seeing people flung off crashing into walls.

coy

I've had good teammates completing these Crucible quests. They revived and didn't play Rambo all game. I was able to complete the questline and get... a 37 Attack weapon? I'm just glad to be able to get these quests out of the way. I wanna get alts up by Iron Banner.
Had a real fun oryx fight tonight, and a couple of other great raid experiences in the last couple of weeks. I really missed six person shenanigans. I ran my 292 titan, and didn't scrub it up at all due to the lower light level. Most of my scrub moves were due to forgetting what phase we were on and running the wrong way.

Hammer Time is fun, and it did inspire me to quick finish my missions to unlock the dreadnaught patrol so I can do some CoO. A 200 artifact just won't do.

Btw, Coy is now a designated relic runner. By the end he was consistently picking it up well before the hive ship rolled in and the fourth ogre was up.
Thanks for the props, Hudson. I can admit to being nervous as I didn't run it since Monday of week 1 but I was confident enough in my jumping and dunking to volunteer. I can only become more capable by doing it. Plus, the group was easy going that any nerves were gone quickly.

Edit: Top of page fact for y'all: I go by Coy IRL so I was happy that nobody had claimed it on GAF.

The tomb ship jumping puzzle in King's Fall is my favorite part of the game and I'd say it's the single most adventurous thing Bungie has done for Destiny.

It felt like a Halo mission, open space. Literally space. I don't know it just felt adventurous.

Afrocious

There's three jumping parts in KF. There doesn't need to be that many. This is on top of two of the boss fights having a platforming element.

The climb up to the daughters is unnecessary. We should've gotten something more interesting, kind of like when you enter Atheon's room and you begin to think you're walking in on a Daft Punk concert. The final mission of the TTK campaign does this well with the dark room and the glowing emblem, then the darkness melting into Oryx himself.

Keep either the ship jumps or the piston jumps. Don't need both. But again, I'd rather we drop the jumping stuff. I want more puzzles. Warpriest is a step in the right direction.

I'm intrested to see if HM KF will be different in any way beside no respawn and harder enemies.

Shielded Taken Phalanxes will be on the Torn Between Dimension platforms in the Daughters/Oryx fight.

Afro salty that he can't jump.
4TS20zA

Top Bottom