• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
People are only being pissy cause like 70% of the active player base is Hunters and are finally getting dominated instead of having the best supers in town. I say get rekt, boys.

#titanmasterrace

It's more about the lack of trade-offs. Every Super up to this point has some sort of risk/reward and some sort of weakness that complimented it's strength.

Bladedancer - bad range, need to find opponent. Not very good armor - can be shotgunned or sniped.
GG - amazing range and mobility but you need to find a target and you can be easily killed.
Shadowshot - lol (i like it though)

Sunsinger - easy to evade grenade spam if you see it coming. Can basically run away.
Voidbomb - amazing AOE but you need to find a group of enemies
Stromcaller - not unlike Bladedancer - you need to find your targets and get within range

Bubble - Confined to very small area. Easily avoided. Can be supered.
smash - Not fanatastic range. Need to find group.

And then Sunbreaker. I'm at a loss to list it's weaknesses. Can the Titans chime in on that?

Anyone got a check point for the jumping bit after Golgoroth? I need the Calcified Ruin found at the very beginning on the bottom ledge.

Cheers

deoee

It's more about the lack of trade-offs. Every Super up to this point has some sort of risk/reward and some sort of weakness that complimented it's strength.

Bladedancer - bad range, need to find opponent. Not very good armor - can be shotgunned or sniped.
GG - amazing range and mobility but you need to find a target and you can be easily killed.
Shadowshot - lol (i like it though)

Sunsinger - easy to evade grenade spam if you see it coming. Can basically run away.
Voidbomb - amazing AOE but you need to find a group of enemies
Stromcaller - not unlike Bladedancer - you need to find your targets and get within range

Bubble - Confined to very small area. Easily avoided. Can be supered.
smash - Not fanatastic range. Need to find group.

And then Sunbreaker. I'm at a loss to list it's weaknesses. Can the Titans chime in on that?

Negative: You need super energy to activate it

Technically it was just one guy I play with, the other member was a popular member of the video games media in the midst of a seemingly infinite struggle to get his Spindle. So we carried him.

We messed around with one strategy going in, failed it made a couple changes and then destroyed the activity with 4 minutes to spare on our second go.

Comp was
  • Defender
  • Sunbreaker
  • Stormcaller

So BoL on the platform, melting point, a couple of exotic swords and space magic for add clean up? Deku figured that melting point and swords would be a good combo for a boss.

It drains much faster than sith lord floating about :p

I meant for using hammers. The drain of it being active is a bit slow too though, especially compared to golden gun. It makes sense for sith lords to drain fast since they are supposed to be used for short range wrecking.

Zocano

Technically it was just one guy I play with, the other member was a popular member of the video games media in the midst of a seemingly infinite struggle to get his Spindle. So we carried him.

We messed around with one strategy going in, failed it made a couple changes and then destroyed the activity with 4 minutes to spare on our second go.

Comp was
  • Defender
  • Sunbreaker
  • Stormcaller

Brad doesn't deserve that Spindle.

LukeSmith

4 minutes to spare.... I had like 2 seconds to spare and I'm pretty sure I shit my pants..... twice....... uphill.... both ways.

We'd beaten it 2-man multiple times the first time it was live, so the Jansport had room.

So BoL on the platform, melting point, a couple of exotic swords and space magic for add clean up? Deku figured that melting point and swords would be a good combo for a boss.

We only had 1 Exotic Sword, Raze-Lighter

Afrocious

More TLC was obviously given to Warlocks. Best jump and not walking pvp glitches. They aren't even easy mode like Titans or Hunters.

Titans and Hunters are the same as using magic or sword and shield in Dark Souls. Warlocks are played by people who dual wield naked

vctor182

I'm mainly a Gunslinger and have killed Sunbreakers with GG every time but they'll switch to max armor for Trials. I don't have an issue with them during normal crucible and probably Iron Banner I'll feel the same. But I'll probably play ToO only when they bring it back before everyone brings their titan. Playing against 3 Sunbreakers will be too much

Also, congrats to the flawless raid team!

hitlerat

Never did the new Raid and would like to learn to do with my group... Any good tutorial video? We are all 293+ but completely new to raid...

Tecnniqe

Banned
I meant for using hammers. The drain of it being active is a bit slow too though, especially compared to golden gun. It makes sense for sith lords to drain fast since they are supposed to be used for short range wrecking.

Depends, increasing the drain time also reduce hammers thrown by 1 at least, as drain is pretty heavy between animations.

deoee

Nope I have no idea what is happening. The quest keeps on getting negative score despite me having a K:D of 1.00 now.
I lost 9%

Namikaze1

More TLC was obviously given to Warlocks. Best jump and not walking pvp glitches. They aren't even easy mode like Titans or Hunters.

Titans and Hunters are the same as using magic or sword and shield in Dark Souls. Warlocks are played by people who dual wield naked
I recall having to spend nearly half an hour waiting for you to get on to that ship in the first jumping puzzle on our blind run. :p

Anybody want to do the Shield Bros/Chaperone strike around 9pm PDT tonight? I'm willing to run it a couple times so we all can get the shotgun kills.

1. Roddslayer

Edit: PSN

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think the commentary about how Sunbreakers aren't just their super, but instead are a full class that can't be judged solely on their super, is well taken. I'm not sure if anyone denies that it's the best super in the game, but I think it's a clear winner, and made to be so on purpose. I may differ from many in that I don't actually think the rest of the tree is that weak, but it's definitely the case that the class is balanced around its intentionally very strong super, and the majority of its perks affect that super, which does need to be kept in mind for any rebalancing.

However,
  • To some extent this isn't a caveat about balance... it's build advice. :p Sunbreakers are at their best when they're able to use their supers frequently and on demand. So people who want to get the most out of Sunbreaker should go for as much INT as possible and seek the perk Quintessence Transfer or, less ideally, Brawler's Charge (Inverse Shadow is fine for PvE as well). They should strongly consider Bad Juju or Zhalo Supercell as primary weapons. Their teammates should wear Alpha Lupi/Light Beyond Nemesis. Excellent synergy here with Simmering Flames in PvE of course (especially with Melting Point chosen and Quintessence Transfer; simply makes sure to allow both your melee and grenade to charge before popping your super). Cauterize is more valuable (and extremely so) in PvP.

In other words, especially at very competitive levels, you can build around the class weaknesses to some extent- as you should be able to.
  • Even if the damage reduction were brought down to the level of Stormtrance, in my opinion Hammer of Sol would still be the clear overall best super in the game. This is what strikes me the most starkly, since even if we're all in agreement that it simply should be unquestionably the best super, there's wiggle room for it to be balanced without even losing that title. I think this is the gist of my argument for a slight nerf.
  • I doubt anyone has any problem with it for PvE, it's simply a great asset to a team while at the same time a Defender is still extremely valuable and it can't just be the go-to for every scenario if you're not in fireteam rich with Titans. It needs to be tweaked just for Crucible. If anyone disagrees with this I would love to see it voiced, but this is one thing I hope Bungie can take into consideration.

Finally...

Even though I really do think it's OP in its current form and want it to be toned down, I don't think it will be that much of an overwhemling factor in Trials. It may well be used to end a round quickly and decisively or turn a 3v1 scenario, as can other supers. But its strengths aren't particularly well-suited for Elimination. It feels so ludicrously powerful in the Crucible as a whole because in modes like Control and Rift, it can clear out a clustered group at the objective point in a second, roll down a hallway and kill another fleeing guardian, with time left over for another hammer or two tossed at the an unlucky respawner from the first group.

Sure it'll lead to a bullshit round every so often. But my ire in Trials is likely to remain dedicated to Fireborn Sunsingers that keep my fucking adrenaline at unhealthy levels with their heretical treachery. Just let the round be OVER DAMN YOU

Depends, increasing the drain time also reduce hammers thrown by 1 at least, as drain is pretty heavy between animations.

Yeah I think the drain can be ignored for the most part for rebalancing purposes. To balance it they just need to reduce either lethality or survivability.

E92 M3

We'd beaten it 2-man multiple times the first time it was live, so the Jansport had room.

Hey Luke, please put in a word so idiots like me (that accidentally dismantled a legendary sword) can restart the quest. Don't to be forever without the void exotic!

Thanks!

This story gets more impressive after each new fact.

4 minutes to spare - nice!
2 man, third is a carry - wow.
Only one exotic sword (even if it is the best of the three) - Awesome.

Were the other heavies legendary swords? Maybe Thunderlord?

Zocano

Hey Luke, please put in a word so idiots like me (that accidentally dismantled a legendary sword) can restart the quest. Don't to be forever without the void exotic!

Thanks!

I did the same on my hunter to try and get around having to do the PvP part again. I'll be deleting and releveling the hunter next weekend to fix that mistake.

noomi

I did the same on my hunter to try and get around having to do the PvP part again. I'll be deleting and releveling the hunter next weekend to fix that mistake.

Oh god!

I hope they fix that for you guys to avoid having to that.

bgbball31

Just wanted to pop in and say a belated congrats to the flawless raiders last night. I think I went through the raid with about half of you guys at one point, so I feel like my terrible-ness may have prepped you guys to have to stay alive at each section :).

Grats, all.

Zocano

Oh god!

I hope they fix that for you guys to avoid having to that.

I actually deleted said hunter not even a week ago (more like 3 days ago) so I could level a male Titan since Bungie refuses to make female Titans have as bulky a frame as their male counterparts. Then I decided against it and releveled the hunter up to the point I face now.

Top Bottom