• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Couple thoughts.
1. At first I thought titular character meant Destiny who isn't a character :p
2. Being Transgender isn't the same for some space alien with a completely alien culture. It's kind of a stretch to equate it to our culture and biology. We don't even know details as to how hive reproduce and their sexual functions so Oryx changing gender may be much less of a change than it is for a human.
3. The whole article just feels like someone trying to stretch a story so they can discuss a currently hot topic.

After reading it, saw everything that is happening in this TTK on another level. Details that I would ignore are noticed, make sense and are praised.
The Book of Sorrows totally changed my stance on Destiny's lore. It's brilliant writing. Although it did make me hate Orix's comic book villain characterization in the game as opposed to how deep the book reveals his personality to be. I'm not even sure I'd call him evil anymore.

It's probably because I'm a bit of a bad PVP player, but most of my kills come from my guns, not my melee nor my grenades.
A titan with Red Death, a bullshit shotgun and a tracking rocket launcher will still kill other people fine, bad melee and meh grenades or not. ^^

This is a late reply but to a certain extent you're right. But I'm looking at the big picture. When I have an enemy damaged and they run away or hide in a corner, my arc bolt or fire bolt grenades can clean up that kill far easier than any Titan grenade. When I have an enemy damaged my Warlock melee (especially Thunderstrike) can clean that kill up far easier. How many kills with guns are made easier with a good grenade or melee? I think a fair amount are. And I think the perks in the skill tree matter a lot. Arc Web for example makes the Thunderstorm grenade really good. I've gotten plenty of double kills with it. Can't say the same with any Sunbreaker grenade. Gunplay will always be the most important, but there is a reason people use Bladedancer and Sunsinger most. They have better perks, melee, and grenades than the other classes. Sunsinger's Super isn't even all that amazing, but when combined with over shield ranged melee and fire bolt grenades, it becomes a great class.

soon.
11f301cb8d8ec148f8d8719e64080c83.jpg

True. Those look great.

LTWood12

I have a 310 Hawkmoon. I have a 294 Supercell. Is it worth sacrificing the 310 Hawkmoon to the Zhalo alter? With the fuel I have on hand, I could get Zhalo to 308.

edit:
That's two Polygon articles today about Destiny that aren't especially good. The one complaining about the loot is worse IMO, but they're both pretty bad.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well it's never exactly explained upon is the thing. The only time I see Hive referred to as female as Wizards (Witches) and the three sisters are very clearly not "Mothers" in the beginning of the story. It also seems that none of them become ones either as they transition from Krill to Hive.
That is exactly when it happens. Aurash takes a "king morph" as her worm and becomes Auryx. The other two sisters remain biologically female after receiving their worms, though they do change their names.
I'm as much for LGBT rights as anyone, but to say that Oryx is transgender in the same way that humans can be transgender seems disingenuous.

For one, there are other species on the planet that can change their biological sex (some on a whim, others due to external factors), and two, he's an alien. So IMO, it's not hardly even the same thing as a transgender human.
Kinda gotta agree, I really don't think I like this article, and this issue as a human rights concern is something I do care a lot about.
This is a big deal: A high profile video game from a AAA publisher had released with its titular character a transgender man.
Oryx is not a transgender man. Oryx is not a man. It's sort of dangerous to attempt to read any sort of political statement into these developments as the further you probe the more tenuous and less, well, okay such a comparison will seem. For example, it's only after "transitioning" that Oryx is a genocidal threat to the entire universe. :-/

The fact that female Krill can become male after receiving their worm is a biologically fascinating detail, as is the notion that all Wizards are female, but I really, really don't think it's a wise idea to try and read too far into the dynamics of human gender identity via the HIve.

Can't watch vids atm but I'm guessing that's Afroman. Haha I wish. I honestly don't smoke much but I was with some friends before playing destiny one night. After I smoked and left I decided to try it solo even though I had the spindle.

I murdered the boss but ran out of heavy ammo. No enemy dropped them either. If I had some for my solar sword, it would've been a wrap.

Balls can get hard so you're welcome lol

Lmao

Yeah, Afroman. I know it's a bit cliche, but when I saw "...but I was high," I started singing the song to myself. Then I looked over to see who posted it and it was just too perfect.

Zocano

You know, when I was reading the book of sorrows I thought Xi Ro would become the Taken King because Xi Ro is Orix backwards.

Weird. I guess I never noticed that. I figured Aurash was Oryx right within the first few "pages" keeping in mind all the names are probably super different and altered and the pronunciation was the most similar. Then the name changed to Auryx and it was pretty on the nose.

You know, when I was reading the book of sorrows I thought Xi Ro would become the Taken King because Xi Ro is Orix backwards.

Feels like I just read future spoilers. Can't believe I never noticed that before, haha.

Don't have much to add to that Polygon articles except for, "Yikes"

I have a 310 Hawkmoon. I have a 294 Supercell. Is it worth sacrificing the 310 Hawkmoon to the Zhalo alter? With the fuel I have on hand, I could get Zhalo to 308.

I just got the Zhalo yesterday, amazing gun, would totally do it. Hawkmoon is good, but not the beast it once was.

SkylineRKR

So kudos to Bungie, I feel like one of the Taken with how drastically Destiny has yanked me back into the game and almost completely reversed my negative opinion of it.

In the two and a half weeks since getting TTK I've gotten 295+ and have nabbed a number of exotic guns, all of which are 290 or higher:

Telesto
Supercell
Hawkmoon
Jade Rabbit
Suros Regime
Invective
Monte Carlo

But outside of the Carlo I haven't used any of them extensively. Still trying to figure out what's what but I need exotic shards so some might be on the chopping block! Can any of you more experienced Guardians chime and tell me which of those I should scrap for shards first?

Also, I really want the Chatterwhite shader and it looks like I might have to dive into the VoG for my first raid. What's the minimum number of players I'd need to round up for that? 4?

Telesto is one of the best weapons in the game. I personally like Jade Rabbit for both PvE and PvP. Supercell I don't have but its Arc element primary and supposed to be awesome for crowd control. Suros and Monte Carlo are very good, with useful perks. Invective is now the only weapon with ammo regen I think.

I'd say Hawkmoon is the worst weapon off that list. I never use it and handcannons are just boring in TTK. Its perks aren't helpful, just some extra damage on some bullets which are nerfed along with the handcannons in general. The range nerf is rather shocking, though understandable. Scouts should be range kings.

But never shard non-dupes, though you can buy them from the Kiosk again.

Tecnniqe

Banned

edit:
That's two Polygon articles today about Destiny that aren't especially good. The one complaining about the loot is worse IMO, but they're both pretty bad.

Never sacrifice the hawk man, neva!

I'd say get a dupe before you do it, maybe even a lower tier raid to infuse before using a 310.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

edit:

Do it. That thing wrecks.

LTWood12

Never sacrifice the hawk man, neva!

Hold me I'm scared!

Do it. That thing wrecks.

That's all I've heard for the last month, and I was so happy when Rahool gave it to me last night, though I was a bit salty that it was 290 instead of 310. I guess I'm kind of afraid of doing all this and then getting a 310 one after the fact.

But you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs.

j_rocca42

I have a checkpoint at the daughters if anyone is willing to give it a go. Looking to finish it on my second character before the reset.

Jblanks

edit:

Yes.

SkylineRKR

If I had a 310 Hawkmoon, it would've gone into a Zhalo for sure if I had it. For now my JR. My moon is only 300 though so not worth it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Hold me I'm scared!

That's all I've heard for the last month, and I was so happy when Rahool gave it to me last night, though I was a bit salty that it was 290 instead of 310. I guess I'm kind of afraid of doing all this and then getting a 310 one after the fact.

You dont wanna do big jumps with light, get a 304-6 or something and infuse that, then use 310. That way you dont waste a 310 and get a 310.
60%.... I'm about to die :|

In Deo we trust!
Bring the Red Bull to the Enemy. And smack em in the face with it!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Or does Xi Ro become male too? Do they use the word "brother" later in the story? I can't remember. I do remember Xivu Arath is a Knight, but I don't know if all Knights are male.
Weird. I guess I never noticed that. I figured Aurash was Oryx right within the first few "pages" keeping in mind all the names are probably super different and altered and the pronunciation was the most similar. Then the name changed to Auryx and it was pretty on the nose.
Interesting. I actually managed to guess it based on their descriptors a few chapters in but I didn't guess at the similarities in name
In her soul Aurash knew that the only way to keep their oath was to find a great, powerful secret. A secret that could change everything. This was Aurash’s soul, her fire and her shadow — her desire to cut through the flank of the world and find its beating heart.

Raybunny

The Book of Sorrows totally changed my stance on Destiny's lore. It's brilliant writing. Although it did make me hate Orix's comic book villain characterization in the game as opposed to how deep the book reveals his personality to be. I'm not even sure I'd call him evil anymore.

I have a similar feeling. Oryx got a very deep development throughout the book. Unfortunately they showed a different Oryx in the game just for I would say marketing purposes.

Not long ago I re read the touch of malice related lore and each time I use it on the sisters + Oryx I get that cozy feeling of it was meant to be. Can't wait for more.

deoee

You dont wanna do big jumps with light, get a 304-6 or something and infuse that, then use 310. That way you dont waste a 310 and get a 310.

In Deo we trust!
Bring the Red Bull to the Enemy. And smack em in the face with it!

I seriously drank one before I started this shit

Zocano

That is exactly when it happens. Aurash takes a "king morph" as her worm and becomes Auryx. The other two sisters remain biologically female after receiving their worms, though they do change their names.

Eeeeh. It's not exactly detailed but I never got the impression that both of the sisters became "Mothers" at any point. I think one sort of did (I am forgetting which) but the other who knows. I kept thinking that at least one of them was also a 'Knight' Hive. It's just a bit too vague for me and I'm not sure why the other sisters didn't change their gender.

Friday & Saturday night are some of the most fun I've had in this game. Thanks for taking part, and for convincing the boss to let you have another go at it.

We got it down now. The next time we'll complete the raid the first time through, right? lol.

https://youtu.be/MKVVt0JNNwQ Luke interview with Gamesradar
Thanks for the headsup!

Expanding on this, here are the recent interviews, including the one you posted. Anyone know of any others?
The Crucible podcast gets really technical with details on range, aim assist, and more.

So glad Bungie is continuing to be out there with the community even though they're done hyping the launch.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Hold me I'm scared!

Mine is at 296 and god its insane once fully upgraded. Its one gun I will get to 310 first. The final perks make it so good in PVE against hordes. Using that with Obsidian Mind + Novabomb you can easily get supers every 30 seconds. Also if timed right you never need to reload since it throws ammo back in after a double kill.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Eeeeh. It's not exactly detailed but I never got the impression that both of the sisters became "Mothers" at any point. I think one sort of did (I am forgetting which) but the other who knows. I kept thinking that at least one of them was also a 'Knight' Hive. It's just a bit too vague for me and I'm not sure why the other sisters didn't change their gender.
None of them become Mothers because Mother is just a krill thing (Taox is one). Sathona (who becomes Savathun) wants to become one, but shit goes down before she reaches the stage in her life cycle where she would become on. Xi Ro becomes a knight when she takes her morph and is renamed Xivu Arath. But knights apparently exist for both krill and hive, so I don't know if she switches sex or not. I'm trying to find a reference in the later chapters to see if they say brother or sister about Xivu Arath now

edit: nah, she remains female.
Once, long ago, I killed Xivu Arath on her war moon, and she blew up the whole moon to kill with me her. She was laughing in joy. I laughed too. A whole moon! A whole moon.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

edit:

I would not. I'd rather have a 310 legendary so I can pair it with a 310 exotic secondary or heavy. Plus as soon as you do it, you'll get a 310 zhalo drop :p

I just wonder why the new Titan super is ranged when thematically it seems more appropriate for it to be a mobile melee super. Throwing them around like a Hammer Bro from Mario or more specifically to be able to throw so many of them around seems a bit excessive a reach to make up for the fact the other two supers have less mobility.

Sullichin

lol wha, who do you think the titular character of "The Taken King" is

Des Tiney

Just sayin' it doesn't really make sense in the headline "Destiny's titular character is transgender"

Anyway, this part of the article kinda bothered me:

a sequel to a highly popular video game played by all the kinds of people who usually avoid games about transgender characters,

..Wha?

Zocano

None of them become Mothers because Mother is just a krill thing (Taox is one). Sathona (who becomes Savathun) wants to become one, but shit goes down before she reaches the stage in her life cycle where she would become on. Xi Ro becomes a knight when she takes her morph and is renamed Xivu Arath. But knights apparently exist for both krill and hive, so I don't know if she switches sex or not. I'm trying to find a reference in the later chapters to see if they say brother or sister about Xivu Arath now

Both are always referred to as sisters. The gender identifier never changes for either of them.

I was putting "Mother" in quotes since I always interpreted that the Mothers of the Krill are just Wizard/Witch equivalents of the Hive (which in a weird long term evolution way, they almost definitely are). So I am just equating Krill and Hive terms in that way to try and suss out how their genders work and if there is just inconsistency there or something intentional.

Top Bottom