• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

They really need to make updated versions of VoG and CE, it's a shame those two are not relevant anymore, and just making a "taken version" of them with the same loot (or even taken version of the loot if they want to put a bit more work in it) dropping but with an adjusted light level would do wonders for the community.
I have a friend who is just starting raiding, and there's no point for him to run VoG and CE at the moment. I don't want to take him with me and sound like an old man telling him stories of the good old time while he bitches that all the loot he finds is crappy and useless... ^^

:D
Took me like a few days of playing TTK a lot to notice that... ^^

Agreed fully! I'm sure they're working on this and it will be part of the next DLC once again. Give us legacy raids with rotating encounters like the current strike playlists and have them drop adequate rewards. Make all legacy content have some end game value besides xp or random drops.

Shito

They aren't updating them because they want Destiny to be "compatible with life". Removing Vault of Glass and Crota's End from the current Y2 loot table means they're no longer required to be run weekly to be at optimal 1%er endgame.

Eventually the same thing will happen to King's Fall.

Such is the life of an MMO.
If they update them after KF has ran its course, they would not be "required" to run weekly, just a nice alternative gear wise.
I'm thinking more about the armor part, I would be totally ok with updated versions of VoG and CE dropping only up to date 300-310 armors, just as an added choice of look.

Deku Tree

I'm going to be completely unsatisfied if the new year 2 DLC model means that we only get one raid per year. KF is really good, but it's not gonna still be good to keep grinding every week in January or sooner even IMO.

realcZk

woah woah woah wait a second

you get 10 rep from the nightfall now? 10 ?!?!?!

hell even patrols give 15 i thought, maybe not...

woah woah woah wait a second

you get 10 rep from the nightfall now? 10 ?!?!?!

hell even patrols give 15 i thought lol, maybe not

lol yep

I'd take Y1 nightfall back, I didn't even care much about the whole send-back-to-orbit-on-team-wipe. Not like it was ever a big issue for me.

realcZk

lol yep

I'd take Y1 nightfall back, I didn't even care much about the whole send-back-to-orbit-on-team-wipe. Not like it was ever a big issue for me.

its gonna take me ages to level up my factions on my alt now, sounding pretty impossible just by doing in-game activities...looks like its gonna be all mat exchange

stb

I haven't been following the thread that closely the last day or so, therefore I don't know what consensus is forming around the microtransaction/DLC stuff.

As for me, I'm worried about it. Weirdly, I think I've always kind of enjoyed being able to bitch at Xur/RNG/Rahool/whoever about not getting drops, and like not having to worry about microtransactions and going to a separate storefront and how that is affecting drops and gear. If it really sticks to only emotes and cosmetics (by the way, does this mean only shaders and ships since other stuff ties into light level?) than I can live with it, though.

Mostly though I'm actually bummed about what this sounds like it means for DLC content. This boils down to two real concerns:

1) I don't have any faith in Bungie/Activision (or really any company) to deliver meaningful fun content for 'free' when it doesn't directly benefit them financially.
2) I really enjoyed the energy and enthusiasm around the releases of expansions, even if they were flawed in many ways.

I'm happy to be proven wrong on any of this stuff, but I'm skeptical.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

From a business perspective, smoother, more predictable revenue (microtransactions, subscriptions) makes it easier to justify expenses than spiky revenue (expansions); they know where their next meal is coming from. Ostensibly, that should translate to smoother, more predictable content releases AND profit for Bungie/Activision: i.e. everyone's happy.

HoW was hot garbage, IMO, and it sounds like Bungie wasn't happy with it. And we know they thought TDB wasn't ideal. But I think a lot of that perception was because of the delay between them. If we'd gotten PoE by itself, for free, in between ToO and the HOW story missions, it would have been less prone to criticism.

We're absolutely not going to get stuff like TTK for free, but I'm hopeful that we'll get stuff that would have been in the TDB/HOW-level expansions drip-fed (e.g. PoE, CE, ToO, sets of story missions), maybe even stuff like the exotic quests. That way it becomes a Destiny buffet. Don't like PVP, so you don't like the new PVP mode/maps they released for free this month? Wait til next month. Like PVE, but don't care about story missions? Wait for the raid-ish activity next month.

Plus, I think it's incredibly interesting that the game is big enough that selling *dances* could even theoretically subsidize the content that was in the TDB/HOW expansions.

I'm going to be completely unsatisfied if the new year 2 DLC model means that we only get one raid per year. KF is really good, but it's not gonna still be good to keep grinding every week in January or sooner even IMO.

Hell... i haven't even completed the KF raid fully and i'm already looking forward to the next. It's very, very cool... but lacks that VoG "special quality". Maybe needs more "secrets"?

But agreed... Destiny needs about double the raids.

Mrcapcom

its gonna take me ages to level up my factions on my alt now, sounding pretty impossible

You can pledge items now to make them go faster. I usually store up tons of motes of light and pledge them. Heck all my Y1 material from the raids net me like 500+ motes that I pledge to dead orbit. I'm at rank 25 now

realcZk

You can pledge items now to make them go faster. I usually store up tons of motes of light and pledge them. Heck all my Y1 material from the raids net me like 500+ motes that I pledge to dead orbit. I'm at rank 25 now

Wow, dismantling it gives that many motes? I have a vault full of Y1 stuff I've yet to dismantle.

SkylineRKR

HoW was a waste of money for me.

I played PoE maybe 5 times, I think I completed one level 34. I just didn't enjoy it at all. I think its saving grace was that I sort of liked its PvP maps.

TTK actually exceeds my expectations. TDB should've been better and bigger, then HoW could've been skipped altogether and we would've had TTK now. PoE could easily have been a freebie event.

Apparently Heavy Synths is the way to go...but holy smokes...rank 25 X3 factions X3 toons? That's a lot of motes

It's hard to tell what they're planning right now. Im guessing Destiny 2 will release for next gen only next fall but what do they have in plan for the next couple of months? We might get another expansion or two that has a new PVE activity similar to how PoE was. They might just save the next big Raid for when Destiny 2 launches.

From a business perspective, smoother, more predictable revenue (microtransactions, subscriptions) makes it easier to justify expenses than spiky revenue (expansions); they know where their next meal is coming from. Ostensibly, that should translate to smoother, more predictable content releases AND profit for Bungie/Activision: i.e. everyone's happy.

HoW was hot garbage, IMO, and it sounds like Bungie wasn't happy with it. And we know they thought TDB wasn't ideal. But I think a lot of that perception was because of the delay between them. If we'd gotten PoE by itself, for free, in between ToO and the HOW story missions, it would have been less prone to criticism.

We're absolutely not going to get stuff like TTK for free, but I'm hopeful that we'll get stuff that would have been in the TDB/HOW-level expansions drip-fed (e.g. PoE, CE, ToO, sets of story missions), maybe even stuff like the exotic quests. That way it becomes a Destiny buffet. Don't like PVP, so you don't like the new PVP mode/maps they released for free this month? Wait til next month. Like PVE, but don't care about story missions? Wait for the raid-ish activity next month.

Plus, I think it's incredibly interesting that the game is big enough that selling *dances* could even theoretically subsidize the content that was in the TDB/HOW expansions.
Call me crazy, I'd rather have microtransactions and paid dlc.

As long as the paid dlc was reasonably price and absolutely fucking huge using the funds of micro and the dlc.

But most importantly and this is THE big one for me.. with microtransactions does that mean i can FINALLY buy me a serenity? And a browncoat vanity item for my warlock..
I'd pay through the roof for this.

realcZk

Apparently Heavy Synths is the way to go...but holy smokes...rank 25 X3 factions X3 toons? That's a lot of motes

Yeah, glimmer/sc -> heavy synth -> rep is probably the route I'll have to go. It would make the most sense for in-game activities to reward you with the most faction rep but it looks like all the factions are greedy for mats :)

I use motes as soon as I get them to level weapons/armor across three characters so I really don't have a surplus laying around. I suppose they will start to stack up eventually.

Deku Tree

this is really the question. Can it or can't it? I think that the fremium model has generated a lot more revenue than the buy the game model in tons of other games with much less than 20 million registered accounts... And Destiny is probably way beyond 20 million accounts by now.

The question is if the cosmetic stuff sales are too low (they won't be) then do they hold back content until it can be properly monetized (they would)?

And what are the content plans?

Is it piecemeal exotic quests and some new maps and some new story missions here and there in existing locations? Light level bumps in the middle of the year? Do we get a new CE quality raid in the middle of the year? Do we get new end game PvE activities in the middle of the year or not?

Mrcapcom

Just one Charcter lol I played only on my Titan just started hunter and warlock and even then I took all my material from all three characters and moved it to my titan. So my titan is rank 25 my other guys eh ill get around to it. I only did it for the dead orbit shaders which I got all 4 now :)

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny that when everyone knows what to do, Oryx is by far the easiest encounter of the entire raid. It's just so rigid and mechanical, there's no room for any kind of improvisation. You just go through the motions. DPS doesn't even matter past a certain point, the fight takes 4 cycles, every time, unlike the Wizards who you can 1-cycle, or all the other fights, where DPS does matter. It's kind of disappointing tbh. It doesn't feel as much like a boss fight as it does a platforming Simon Says extravaganza. I'll take Atheon and "Guardians make their own fate" over "now run circles around your platform because... idk". The only part that feels like a boss fight is the teleportation phase. I hope Hard Mode makes the fight more interesting beyond just adding more shit on top of it or making all the enemies Major Taken Captains or w/e.

FyreWulff

It's all opinion, but House of Wolves wasn't "hot garbage". It was the general turn-around for a lot of people in Destiny.

Dark Below was the DLC that was heavily criticized for being very short and thin on content. House of Wolves was the half-reboot before Taken King finished it, and is generally the turning point where Destiny found it's way.

You never forget your first...

Eh, you might be right. But there is just something about the setting of VoG
and the decent into the Atheon chamber with the time mechanics
that is so darn cool.

KF just seems more like
i'm back in the dreadnaught moving down a corridor towards Oryx and encountering his boudyguards on the way.
More "linear" and straightforward maybe?

stb

Call me crazy, I'd rather have microtransactions and paid dlc.

As long as the paid dlc was reasonably price and absolutely fucking huge using the funds of micro and the dlc.

But mkst importantly and this is THE big one for me.. with mkcrotransactions does that mean i can FINALLY buy me a serenity? And a browncoat vqnity item for my warlock..

I think a lot of people here would; I know I would.

But the game is so big that they have to toe the mainstream line. The folks that would accept microtransactions (not necessarily participate in, but be OK with them existing) AND be willing to pay $40 for TTK-level expansions every 6(?) months is probably a minority. It's hard to tell where the critical mass is.

its gonna take me ages to level up my factions on my alt now, sounding pretty impossible just by doing in-game activities...looks like its gonna be all mat exchange

I'm not even bothering on my alts. I'm 27 on DO with the exotic cloak and all the shaders so the only thing I'll have to look forward to are the ships, but I'm not really bent over it anymore since unless you dump all your materials it's still a grind (contrary to what Bungie claims).

Question: If I have exotic engrams from 3oC and have these stored in my vault until I am level 300 in order to get more chance of a 310 drop, am I being stupid? I have heard they are predetermined but not 100% on that.

I did this, Got 310 LBN, 310 Jade Rabbit and 310 4th Horseman from like 12-15 3 of coins. And also my Zhalo but it dropped at 290.

Wait are you still playing on both consoles? Geez take it easy

Hahaha I don't play on XB1, much.

I did the TTK missions and now I mainly do the dailies. So it's like 20 minutes a day :p

But now that I'm raid ready, I'll be doing that there too. I want to be Trials ready!!!

I think a lot of people here would; I know I would.

But the game is so big that they have to toe the mainstream line. The folks that would accept microtransactions (not necessarily participate in, but be OK with them existing) AND be willing to pay $40 for TTK-level expansions every 6(?) months is probably a minority. It's hard to tell where the critical mass is.
I'd want it too be $20 if this was the case, and i paid £40.. because the pound is so weak compared to the dollar.. oh yeah..wait.

Or just give me a subscription and let me have everything please and include future games digitally in that subscription.

purg3

slept with Malkin
It's all opinion, but House of Wolves wasn't "hot garbage". It was the general turn-around for a lot of people in Destiny.

Dark Below was the DLC that was heavily criticized for being very short and thin on content. House of Wolves was the half-reboot before Taken King finished it, and is generally the turning point where Destiny found it's way.

The problem with HoW was the reward to time ratio for the end game content. Once most people ran PoE 35 once, there really was no reason to go back because the game didn't respect your time in regards to the rewards. Plus the whole etheric light system made me not care about getting the new gear anyway, because everything else prior was still better once brought to current levels. You could kind of see the framework for TTK in terms of the quests, but I hope to not see anything like HoW endgame again.

Nightfall needs the following:

• Year 1 (rep and buff) BUT don't send back to orbit and just auto restart the mission from the beginning.
OR

• In session checkpoints as it is currently and bigger Rep OR weekly Buff

Regardless, rewards should NOT include a pack of 3oC. Anything less than like 10 Strange Coins is too low, IMO.

I thought the whole point was highly challenging and rewarding. High Risk, High Reward.

Also, I thought there were going to change Nightfalls to be more dynamic, with different modifiers and whatnot...

Just one Charcter lol I played only on my Titan just started hunter and warlock and even then I took all my material from all three characters and moved it to my titan. So my titan is rank 25 my other guys eh ill get around to it. I only did it for the dead orbit shaders which I got all 4 now :)

Haha. Gotcha. I am missing "The Nowhere" and the ship still...

stb

this is really the question. Can it or can't it? I think that the fremium model has generated a lot more revenue than the buy the game model in tons of other games with much less than 20 million registered accounts... And Destiny is probably way beyond 20 million accounts by now.

The question is if the cosmetic stuff sales are too low (they won't be) then do they hold back content until it can be properly monetized (they would)?

And what are the content plans?

Is it piecemeal exotic quests and some new maps and some new story missions here and there in existing locations? Light level bumps in the middle of the year? Do we get a new CE quality raid in the middle of the year? Do we get new end game PvE activities in the middle of the year or not?

We'll all find out together. I just listed what I'm hopeful will happen.

Eh, you might be right. But there is just something about the setting of VoG
and the decent into the Atheon chamber with the time mechanics
that is so darn cool.

KF just seems more like
i'm back in the dreadnaught moving down a corridor towards Oryx and encountering his boudyguards on the way.
More "linear" and straightforward maybe?

VoG seemed so BIG and arranged so differently (verticality), and was so mechanical compared to the story and together PVE stuff that it really stuck out for me. We're harder to impress now, but I definitely had a number of "This is so COOL." moments in TTK; the pendulum/ship/piston jumping puzzles, even the tiny vertical jumping thing right after pistons. I think VoG is BETTER; KF does seem more linear, but I'm not sure what they'd have to do to supplant VoG.

Now that I'm done with that god forsaken crucible quest and actually wanna play normally it's become far clearer how much that quest line fucked up pvp. Pull ahead 1k and people start leaving. Games rewarding so little doesn't help either. No marks same RNG reward bs. I still don't have any crucible legendary items and I must have played a 25-30 in TTK

Mrcapcom

Haha. Gotcha. I am missing "The Nowhere" and the ship still...

I want the ship but im not super hype to get it. If I do cool if not its ok. What I really want is the Thunder AK exotic and Taniks Robes for my Warlock/Hunter. Let the Grind begin! Kinda cool that I found out I don't need to be on the Hunter/Warlock to actual get it so I can use any character and grind those strikes

Top Bottom