• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Trickster

What are the content releases like for WoW (frequency, amount of content)? Do things like "raids" only come with the big expansions?

Blizzard is notoriously bad at releasing content for WoW with any decent frequency.

Here's a rough timeline for the current WoW expansion

day 1 - Expansion is released
month 3 - patch with some balance updates + a few new small features that no one gave a shit about.
month 7 - raid patch with new raid ( 10-11 bosses I think ), new zone, balance updates and new features.
month 7 to current time ( month 11 ) - Nothing new. Though they did announce new expansion that probably won't release within the next half year

Last expansion was even worse. After the last raid patch of that expansion, there was no new content in the game for close to a year I believe.

Are legendary drops maxed at 300 too?

The ones in the raid are between 300 and 310. Outside of the raid, legendaries max at 300, same as blues.

FeD.nL

Got a lucky streak with my drops 310 The Stag, 310 Claws of Ahamkara (from a legendary engram) and a 310 Telesto within 2,5 strikes), pretty satisfied but I guess I now used up all my luck for the week.

Awesome. Just made a new twitch account called YourBoyAfro. I'll be streaming a King's Fall run around 5pm-530pm Eastern if you wanna check it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/YourBoyAfro

So far, the folks in the fireteam are:

1)Myself(Afrodeeziyak)
2)Figs
3)Namikaze
4)Zocano
5)Potentially Zoba
6)Potentially LiK

Folgin can sub for a person. Another sub would be nice too if anyone wants to join in!

Woah, catch me up pls

tumblr_misjuyGbb81s5basgo4_250.gif

stb

Another couple modifiers for the whole "what do MMOs do, and can we surmise from that what Destiny might do" thing:
- The Destiny user base, both from being console-centric and an FPS, is intrinsically more casual ON AVERAGE than the user base for an MMORPG (I understand that FF is also on consoles).
- There isn't a subscription for Destiny, there IS for PSN and XBL. While not a direct parallel, that creates challenges, psychologically, w/r/t the whole perceived value thing. I think this almost entirely takes an equivalent revenue stream off the table for Destiny. There was significant backlash to the value proposition for TBD and HOW, regardless of it making logical sense as a way to offset the lack of a subscription.

This really only leaves microtransactions and "big expansions" as revenue for Destiny. I think trying to charge for TBD/HOW-level content would really bite them in the ass at this point, with microtransactions existing. It seems like they're at an inflection point where it becomes imperative to gain revenue by reducing the amount of average revenue expected per player and increasing the player count. The way to they're going to do that is retain existing users and entice new ones; that's done with a constant stream of quality content, not throwaways like literal easter eggs in the tower for spring.

Typically a raid with each major patch. I think burning crusade had 5 raids, wrath had like 4, cata had 3 I think. Plus there were lots of single room dungeons basically that had 1-2 bosses but weren't really a full raid.

Edit: oh, cataclysm had 4 full raids, burning crusade had 6

Blizzard is notoriously bad at releasing content for WoW with any decent frequency.

month 3 - patch with some balance updates + a few new small features that no one gave a shit about.
month 7 - raid patch with new raid ( 10-11 bosses I think ), new zone, balance updates and new features.
month 7 to current time ( month 11 ) - Nothing new. Though they did announce new expansion that probably won't release within the next half year

Last expansion was even worse. After the last raid patch of that expansion, there was no new content in the game for close to a year I believe.

Interesting. Thanks.

LordofPwn

My guesses for hard mode.

310 light recommended for everything.
being 305+ should be fine like doing the raid the first time.
a few more Majors
no revives
Warpriest will most likely cause some people trouble as the person with the brand needs to know what they are doing.
golgoroth i can't imagine being any different. most likely 4 phase
daughters will probably go back to 4 phases for saftey
I could see Oryx doing bombs and shade. most likely still 4 phases, maybe even snipers like in daughters.

I'm also guessing the 3 missing fragments come from killing Warpriest, Golgoroth, and Oryx on heroic.

Release schedule was worse for Wrath of the Lich King I think? There was a point where nothing new came out for a year and a half? Something like that.

But yeah.. that's why when people say, "Well MMO expansions come with so much more content!" it's a bit disingenuous because they also take a LOT longer to come out and even then, don't typically have everything right at release.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
They need to go back and adjust the old strikes from year 1.

I got invited by two squeakers (they sounded 5-6) to get the Nexus strike lvl 20 on Venus so I thought why not both were only level 16s and obviously needed help. Well everything up to the boss I cleared out easily but the boss holy shit my Golden Gun x6 done like fuck all damage to it when compared to the heroic strike bosses and it was a case of using rockets and grenades but man what a bullet sponge.

That strike alone felt harder due to the non stop ads and boss shooting with crap DPS than a damn Nightfall.

Bless em.
Never again my ears.

They need to go back and adjust the old strikes from year 1.

I got invited by two squeakers to get the Nexus strike lvl 20 on Venus so I thought why not both were only level 16s and obviously needed help. Well everything up to the boss I cleared out easily but the boss holy shit my Golden Gun x6 done like fuck all damage to it when compared to the heroic strike bosses and it was a case of using rockets and grenades but man what a bullet sponge.

That strike alone felt harder due to the non stop ads and boss shooting with crap DPS than a damn Nightfall.

Bless em.
Never again my ears.

Wow. You are more of a man than me for staying.

Trickster

Release schedule was worse for Wrath of the Lich King I think? There was a point where nothing new came out for a year and a half? Something like that.

But yeah.. that's why when people say, "Well MMO expansions come with so much more content!" it's a bit disingenuous because they also take a LOT longer to come out and even then, don't typically have everything right at release.

WotLK actually was okay with content patches

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patches/3.x

You had 3 raid patches, though 1 was prety much a filler raid. But you didn't have close to 1½ years of content starvation

The longest was the end of the last expansion that I mentioned.

But really, given how much money Blizzard takes in from subscriptions. The fact that they are not able to release bigass content patches every few months consistently is a joke.

Frostburn

Awesome. Just made a new twitch account called YourBoyAfro. I'll be streaming a King's Fall run around 5pm-530pm Eastern if you wanna check it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/YourBoyAfro

So far, the folks in the fireteam are:

1)Myself(Afrodeeziyak)
2)Figs
3)Namikaze
4)Zocano
5)Potentially Zoba
6)Potentially LiK

Folgin can sub for a person. Another sub would be nice too if anyone wants to join in!

I'd be down to either raid or sub for someone. I responded yesterday to Lik's response to going today around 5-5:30. US-Frostburn can bring Titan or Hunter.

stb

So, for WoW at least, it's really that the big expansions set the table, then the content is filled in between release of the expansion and the next expansion?

To move that into Destiny terminology:
- TTK is released. It includes the patrol area, some story missions.
- release +3 months: the "2.0" patch drops, changing weapon tuning, the vault, etc.)
- release +6 months: the raid and maybe CoO is released
?

I'm sure that's imperfect. Just trying to draw approximate parallels.

Trickster

So, for WoW at least, it's really that the big expansions set the table, then the content is filled in between release of the expansion and the next expansion?

- release +3 months: the "2.0" patch drops, changing weapon tuning, the vault, etc.)
?

Yeah that's pretty much accurate when look at the first half year of a WoW expansion timeline. After that first half year however, things tend to go downwards.

Though just to clarify. WoW expansions normally come with 1-2 raids, 7-9 dungeons, 6 zones and several new big features.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Wow. You are more of a man than me for staying.

I had to mute them in the end. What was worse I nearly had the boss done then they both died then I got sniped by a Goblin so we had to restart. I just checked out the damage my golden gun did and it was only 9500 lol. Other bosses I've got 80,000.

WotLK actually was okay with content patches

http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Patches/3.x

You had 3 raid patches, though 1 was prety much a filler raid. But you didn't have close to 1½ years of content starvation

The longest was the end of the last expansion that I mentioned.

But really, given how much money Blizzard takes in from subscriptions. The fact that they are not able to release bigass content patches every few months consistently is a joke.

Maybe it just seems longer in my memory then.

?

It would be.. something like that. I'd say an actual comparison would be like.. how Destiny raids release a normal version.. then later on the hardmode comes out. WoW does that.. but with major aspects of the expansion, not just hard mode dungeons or raids. With some raids, they don't always release with all the bosses available at once. It's a lot of variance.

Namikaze1

is the consensus on Nightstill still that it's a colossal waste of time?
Yes. They should have never got rid of the bonus rep. This ranking up is taking too long. Should've just given us half of what we used to get instead of nothing at all.

Don't no one bring up Motes. I'm running out of them due to using them to quickly level up weapons.

stb

Yeah that's pretty much accurate when look at the first half year of a WoW expansion timeline. After that first half year however, things tend to go downwards.

It would be.. something like that. I'd say an actual comparison would be like.. how Destiny raids release a normal version.. then later on the hardmode comes out. WoW does that.. but with major aspects of the expansion, not just hard mode dungeons or raids. With some raids, they don't always release with all the bosses available at once. It's a lot of variance.

Thanks, both. This helps with some perspective, even though I'm sure it isn't like for like.

I feel like if Bungie wants to reassure us with respect to content subsidized by microtransactions, then they should show the emotes, like they're doing, but also give us a preview of the first content drop. Like what should we expect? They've been waaaay too vague about that. Kotaku through its sources provided more info than Bungie did.

I feel like if Bungie wants to reassure us with respect to content subsidized by microtransactions, then they should show the emotes, like they're doing, but also give us a preview of the first content drop. Like what should we expect? They've been waaaay too vague about that. Kotaku through its sources provided more info than Bungie did.

Hard to nail that down well enough to showcase it this early out, I think. They'll want to not just add content but also quality of life updates and bug fixes and until that stuff is mostly done and tested together they run the risk of being called liars if some feature or another doesn't make it in.

Thursday cant come soon enough.

Think they'll announce Heroic KF release date? My money is on Friday Oct 23.

Can't be this week, can't be next week (IB + Trials) and it seems crazy to wait more than 6 weeks from Normal release. Crota was six weeks from NM to HM, on a Wednesday. Makes more sense to release HM KF after the weekly reset, so we get one more week of disappointment.

Edit: lol you were thinking about something totally different than me.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yes! Wanna team up to kill some rebel scum?

Which platform?
PC looks so good, but ill download and try it on PS4 as well over the test period, so if you do PS4 im defo down one of those days :p
Think they'll announce Heroic KF release date? My money is on Friday Oct 23.

Can't be this week, can't be next week (IB + Trials) and it seems crazy to wait more than 6 weeks from Normal release. Crota was six weeks from NM to HM, on a Wednesday. Makes more sense to release HM KF after the weekly reset, so we get one more week of disappointment.

Edit: lol you were thinking about something totally different than me.
Not everything is Destiny :D
It is :(

Top Bottom