• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

I wouldn't mind a specific source to try and work out what exactly it is that people refer to by this. I've seen an enormous amount of conflicting information and

Bungie says there's no 10 year plan for Destiny - Sept. 20th, 2015

From Urk:

Frankly it would be downright disturbing if we were still playing Destiny 1, the game, in 2024. I think the notion of our characters following us through the franchise over multiple games (and even consoles) makes considerably more sense.

I have to disagree here. As long as they can keep building on the base, I'd love to be able to revisit the Cosmodrome in 10 years. A full solar system with multiple locations per planet by year 6 or so, then a portal to other systems after that.

I would rather them use upgrades in tech to make the area's larger and more open world than prettier graphics as well.

I have to disagree here. As long as they can keep building on the base, I'd love to be able to revisit the Cosmodrome in 10 years. A full solar system with multiple locations per planet by year 6 or so, then a portal to other systems after that.

I would rather them use upgrades in tech to make the area's larger and more open world than prettier graphics as well.

The idea of Destiny 2 wouldnt ditch these areas

They would just serve a completely different function... or the patrols would be in a different location of each planet

Who knows its all speculation. I do agree with Firewulf that its likely the game will continue its build up i guess?

I dunno i just feel like the leap to current gen out of crossgen is going to need some distinct separation but maybe thats the easy part

Kyne

I'm having a blast with TTK...

..but I'll be ready to completely drop everything and jump into Destiny 2 when it comes out. Our guardians have been through enough. They deserve a rest.

Bring on the true next-gen open world and space fighting.

Eyeron

King's Fall tonight at 10pm EDT?

KF noob, LFG, preferable mostly experienced to make the run fairly quick, as I won't have a ton of time.

1. rasengan1337
2. drizzay (if he's on)
3. Cybrwzrd
4. Hudson (if he can weasel out of the Walking Dead) :)
5. Illini_guy_05

I'd love to get in on this. First time, though. 293 Titan.

PSN Eyeron80

Strider

Titan hit 40.

Can hit light level ~270. Still had a couple gear pieces under 200 though so once I find an item that can be infused on those slots I can get another big increase.

Bradach

So what tips do you all have for Gorgoroth? Our group last night had some trouble. The gaze grabbers died pretty frequently and we weren't sure whether to use all six eggs per run or what's easiest.
My group did it for the first time last night. Our strategy was as follows;

Split the group in 2 as you enter, 3 on each side around the big rocks.
Kick off the encounter
Each side shoots the adds as the run towards you. Once they are dead there's usually an adept hiding so one person each side runs down and takes them out
Everyone shoots the back left ball while gaze bearer jumps on back left rock and gets gaze
All others jump down (drop a weapons of light bubble behind the group)
Gaze bearer counts down.
At zero everyone takes their places again and we repeat.
It took up about 3 cycles to kill him

It might not be the most efficient as it only uses one gaze at a time but it was pretty safe.

Tovarisc

I'm having a blast with TTK...

..but I'll be ready to completely drop everything and jump into Destiny 2 when it comes out. Our guardians have been through enough. They deserve a rest.

Bring on the true next-gen open world and space fighting.

Didn't Bungie say way back when that Guardians we create at beginning of Destiny 1 will follow us from game to game, from story to story, whole 10 years? If that is still a thing when Destiny 2 is released I hope we get to redesign our Guardians, assuming they finally do acceptable hairstyles for Awoken.

I think the disconnect is that some people use the statement of "Supporting Destiny for 10 years" to mean that there will be no big upgrades/sequels but basically just continuous DLC for the base game while others view it as continued sequels, engine upgrades, etc.. over a 10 year span where our Guardians continue forward.

Edit: What I will openly question is this idea that a Destiny 2 would completely write off PS3 and 360 versions. I'm not sure why exactly everyone is certain that would happen. I understand the limitations of those consoles but I'm not so certain that Bungie would be so willing to just leave them high and dry.

purg3

slept with Malkin
So what tips do you all have for Gorgoroth? Our group last night had some trouble. The gaze grabbers died pretty frequently and we weren't sure whether to use all six eggs per run or what's easiest.

Pretty much what noomi said. I do the gaze with my normal group, and pass it between another member. So when he takes the gaze, he'll announce 10 seconds, at that point I begin shooting the orb on my side. Then he'll announce 5 seconds, by then my orb is down and I can start to take the gaze. Once I have the gaze, I try to line myself so that the tracking orbs come in a straight line at me so I can easily take them down. All while remembering to call out the 10 and 5 second marks. Rinse and repeat back and forth until the last orb. At that point when I call out 5 seconds, the guys in the pit should be getting ready to jump out for an add phase.

You could also do the one man strat, but I prefer passing it.

sephi22

1. Sephi22
2. Chogidogs
3. Jamonserranosky
4. Mikeguam1984
5. Dayeight
6.???

We are at warpriest. Our 6th member had to leave for work so join us. We're past the two mouldering shard chests but boss loot is still up for grabs

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Pretty much what noomi said. I do the gaze with my normal group, and pass it between another member. So when he takes the gaze, he'll announce 10 seconds, at that point I begin shooting the orb on my side. Then he'll announce 5 seconds, by then my orb is down and I can start to take the gaze. Once I have the gaze, I try to line myself so that the tracking orbs come in a straight line at me so I can easily take them down. All while remembering to call out the 10 and 5 second marks. Rinse and repeat back and forth until the last orb. At that point when I call out 5 seconds, the guys in the pit should be getting ready to jump out for an add phase.

You could also do the one man strat, but I prefer passing it.

The one man strategy is so mindlessly easy, I don't know why people even bother with the 2 man approach, especially if they are struggling with the 2 man approach for hours.

neoism

shit so what did xur have.. this past week end lol havnt played in like 4 days need to get back into things...

I'd love to get in on this. First time, though. 293 Titan.

PSN Eyeron80

i think it'll be fine if the two maybes are able to join us. if we have to fill spots at the time, though, i'm worried that the raid will take more time than i have, but what the hey, there are checkpoints. :D
hopefully drizzay and Hudson can make it.

I think the disconnect is that some people use the statement of "Supporting Destiny for 10 years" to mean that there will be no big upgrades/sequels but basically just continuous DLC for the base game while others view it as continued sequels, engine upgrades, etc.. over a 10 year span where our Guardians continue forward.

Other than engine upgrades, what's the difference between DLC and Sequel? Was TTK closer to a DLC or a Sequel? I think TTK was already a sequel, we just weren't paying attention.

Tovarisc

The one man strategy is so mindlessly easy, I don't know why people even bother with the 2 man approach, especially if they are struggling with the 2 man approach for hours.

I'm very surprised if people doing 1 man strategy aren't in deep shit when HM comes out and they want to do HM clears, as it will very likely require you to do harder 2 man strategy. Better to learn and practice 2 man now than then, imo.

stb

If they consistently drop stuff like a raid, ToO, or PoE during the course of the coming year, I agree that it could be a great thing and I'll happily drop cash for more. But I think you're being way too optimistic expecting new locations and modes, and I'm not sure what really gives people that confidence.

Again, happy to be wrong, though. I just think there's a lot of blind hope in the bolded thoughts.

And I would never trust a guy who calls himself Captain Science anyways.

I prefer "cautious optimism". What I listed is best-plausible-case-scenario; I have zero belief anything approaching the sum total of TTK will be given to us for free, but the contents of TDB and HOW spread out over a year just doesn't seem that far fetched, for all the reasons we criticize that content. "Crota's just a big knight!" "PoE is just a few modifiers in tiny arenas!". Both expansions felt "stopgap" to begin with, so it just doesn't seem that bonkers to me that they'll simply move the release schedule for that order of content to a drip feed instead of retail releases.

I just don't see it myself. I think the idea of a live team is fantastic to bring life the game. But with small changes and events. Make all of the suros guns drop in hot pink for a couple of weeks. Snow in the tower. A new exotic weapon hidden away in a nightfall. A new quest line, or bounties.

When it comes to new geometry, full armor and weapon packs like the ones introduced in raids, and raids themselves...should, and probably will, remain in the hands of full development teams. That's not what they are saying the micro trasactions will fund.

Yeah IMO Bungie is working on Destiny Fall 2016 now.

I think that all of the incomplete year two content is now being worked on by that other studio that they brought on board last year.

Official or otherwise, it's fairly apparent that there's at least an "A" team and a "B" team. There may be some degree of overlap, especially in the realm of something like overarching raid design and other senior positions, but I just can't believe CE, PoE, and KF were developed serially by the same group of people as whole, regardless of the degree to which you subscribe to the "withheld from vanilla" theory.

So I absolutely agree that some portion, probably even the lion's share including that "A" team, are working on the Fall 2016 stuff now, just like they were working on TTK while the B team did TDB and HOW. I'm positing that the stuff the B team (and that acquired studio) would have been doing between TTK and the F16 release is what we're going to be drip fed.

I just think:
- Microtransactions covering JV stuff like towersnow and Mad Libs bounties ("Kill [number] of [enemy race] with [weapon type] on [patrol area]")
- 2x $20 expansions covering TDB/HOW-level things
- $60 megaexpansion covering TTK-level content dumps
... would result in the userbase (even the dedicated ones) pushing back. It also seems like one too many "things"; i.e. do any other games do multiple small expansions then a big one? (legit question, I really have no idea).

The Deej post goes out of his way to say "more robust and engaging events", so somewhere between the OG Queen's Wrath event (which included weapons, armor, shaders, etc.) and CE doesn't seem unreasonable.

We'll obviously need to wait and see, but they've publicly acknowledged that HoW and TDB aren't at the quality they're aiming for now. EDIT: so assuming "towersnow" isn't an acceptable perceived value, the A team is doing the F16 release, and HoW/TDB weren't good enough, what is the B team and the acquired studio theoretically working on if not what I'm suggesting?

Other than engine upgrades, what's the difference between DLC and Sequel? Was TTK closer to a DLC or a Sequel? I think TTK was already a sequel, we just weren't paying attention.

For the sake of the distinction.. I think "sequel" in this case would mean a game the size of Destiny Vanilla. The way that Halo 2, 3, etc.. are sequels... only with our Guardians retaining levels and gear. DLC would be stuff ranging from the size of TDB and HoW to TKK.

Edit:

It also seems like one too many "things"; i.e. do any other games do multiple small expansions then a big one? (legit question, I really have no idea).

MMO's typically do this but the "small expansions" are called content patches and are offered for free while the big ones are paid. Though there is a varied approach there as well. DCUO and The Secret World, for example, focus exclusively on smaller expansions which they market as story arcs and charge a smaller fee (something between 5 and 10 bucks iirc). Guild Wars 2 does free smaller updates every 2 weeks or so over the course of a "season" that tells a whole story. So far with them, they've done 2 "seasons" with some downtime between seasons and then an entire full paid expansion. So there's lots of ways to approach this kind of thing.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Christ these Taken Captain missions are fucking miserable. I'm just standing here with nobody around and no way to complete the mission.

Top Bottom