• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Kyoufu

I'm very surprised if people doing 1 man strategy aren't in deep shit when HM comes out and they want to do HM clears, as it will very likely require you to do harder 2 man strategy. Better to learn and practice 2 man now than then, imo.

My guess for HM is that the bubbles are limited so if you don't kill it in the 6 or so bubbles there are available then it's a wipe.

Eyeron

i think it'll be fine if the two maybes are able to join us. if we have to fill spots at the time, though, i'm worried that the raid will take more time than i have, but what the hey, there are checkpoints. :D
hopefully drizzay and Hudson can make it.

Sounds good!

E92 M3

My guess for HM is that the bubbles are limited so if you don't kill it in the 6 or so bubbles there are available then it's a wipe.

That's a type of mechanic I can get behind. Make the encounter difficult due to the requirement for new strategies.

phen0m24

Got room for this scrub?

Not sure I think Hawkian is the keeper of the scroll

Went with Bad Juju

Good choice

Agree with this approach.

High five

Bad Juju PvE
Bad Juju PvP

You are the winner he picked Juju

Christ these Taken Captain missions are fucking miserable. I'm just standing here with nobody around and no way to complete the mission.

What mission? If you need Taken Captains or lieutenants the best place is The Hollows on Mars. If you're needing the Champions the best place is the Hollows on Mars.

For the other planet specific ones, that would require more thought.

Tovarisc

Killing Golgoroth with one set of 6 balls sounds pretty impossible, even in NM. Those puddles don't last that long and chaining so much damage done / taken buffs from classes just isn't possible. I guess enrage time is just a lot tighter making rotations of 6 balls mandatory, so you can do enough damage to the boss between add phases.

GhaleonEB

I wouldn't mind a specific source to try and work out what exactly it is that people refer to by this. I've seen an enormous amount of conflicting information and

Bungie says there's no 10 year plan for Destiny - Sept. 20th, 2015

From Urk:

Frankly it would be downright disturbing if we were still playing Destiny 1, the game, in 2024. I think the notion of our characters following us through the franchise over multiple games (and even consoles) makes considerably more sense.

It's a combination of Bungie's actions and looking at the ways that Destiny has evolved.

Why are they spending so much time rebuilding the base game if they're going to drop it in a year and move on to Destiny 2?

Why are they building so much polish and tweaking into every system (UI tweaks, expanded features, etc)?

Why did they build a game were seemingly every aspect of the game can be tweaked and updated over time, in total contrast to their prior games? (This is a BIG tell, IMO.)

Why are they beefing UP the live team, rather than pouring resources into the sequel?

When moving to Destiny 2, do they bring back any of the old areas? Do they lose them? If they bring them back, what do the bring back? Is it worth re-doing all that work? Why not just keep it and rebuild it?

How much more efficient would it be from a development standpoint and for the player base to just keep building out the game, making the tool set more and more robust over time?

Now look at how TTK has rebooted the game, touching every system in Destiny, at how year 1 content was integrated into the base game. It seems pretty similar to MMO's and how they expand outward.

When asked about the future of Destiny, Bungie hedges, but is consistent. They have a 10 year plan for Destiny. They're committed to supporting Destiny long term. They've let slip the internal code names for the original release and TTK (D14 and D15 - I'd wager next year's big release is D16). They've called the first year of Destiny year 1, and the second, year 2. I don't think they would do that if they planned to stop at year 2 or 3; they're clearly messaging a longer term game.

And finally, the new business model of regular, steady content updates over the course of the year, to be capped by a very large expansion next year. Who exactly is going to be working on Destiny 2? Bungie is big but not big enough to support something as large or larger as TTK and build Destiny 2 at the same time.

For me, one of the single best moments in TTK was passing by the remains of Sepiks Prime on the second campaign mission. NorthGhost quips, "Remember when Sepiks Prime was our biggest problem?" Bungie is already establishing history in the spaces they've built. Years from now we'll be like, remember when we climbed that ship in the Cosmodrome way over yonder a couple years ago when Oryx invaded? Good times.

For me TTK demonstrated that just because we'll be playing Destiny in 5 years, doesn't mean we'll be playing the same game as we are now. It's going to continue to evolve in a major way; if the trajectory from vanilla to TTK is any indication, just think about what it will be like in 5 years. I'm not worried about it in the least.

stb

MMO's typically do this but the "small expansions" are called content patches and are offered for free while the big ones are paid. Though there is a varied approach there as well. DCUO and The Secret World, for example, focus exclusively on smaller expansions which they market as story arcs and charge a smaller fee (something between 5 and 10 bucks iirc). Guild Wars 2 does free smaller updates every 2 weeks or so over the course of a "season" that tells a whole story. So far with them, they've done 2 "seasons" with some downtime between seasons and then an entire full paid expansion. So there's lots of ways to approach this kind of thing.

Do any do BOTH, though? Paid "small expansions" and paid "big ones", all while also having microtransactions?

This is what I'm saying seems like one too many things being paid for by someone.

I still don't know what to do with my 310 Raid Hand Cannon, Zaouli's Bane I just got last night.

I have:
304 Doom of Chelchis (Raid Scout)
302 Hung Jury Vendor (I want 310 eventually, but infuse with 310 would first get it to either 308 or 309 so I'd need another 310, as opposed to waiting to use a 304-307 first then 310 for final).

I'm impatient and I want to do something! What if they buff HCs then I'll be sad haha

Trickster

Do any do BOTH, though? Paid "small expansions" and paid "big ones", all while also having microtransactions?

This is what I'm saying seems like one too many things being paid for by someone.

WoW does this.

Still has monthly subscription.
Expansion cost 50 dollars
They sell mounts and pets + various other things like name changes, gender changes, race changes etc.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I'm very surprised if people doing 1 man strategy aren't in deep shit when HM comes out and they want to do HM clears, as it will very likely require you to do harder 2 man strategy. Better to learn and practice 2 man now than then, imo.

Has either raid had such a big difference in mechanics between normal and hard where a strategy in normal doesn't work in hard? Honestly can't remember. I think it's always been harder enemies and no revive, but that's about it. Either way, that's a problem for another time if you can't do the 2 gaze approach, and even then, it's really only a problem for the gaze pullers.

How does the one man strategy differ?

Instead of two gaze pullers, you use one gaze puller at the front of the room and the other 5 get the first orb down and DPS the boss, then hop out and reset the entire encounter. Just repeat once the orbs respawn.

Not in the strictest sense, though one could argue that games like WoW and FF11 and 14 do a version of both, sense while the content patches are "free," the playerbase is paying a subscription fee every month just to access the game and the large expansions are an additional purchase.

The MMO genre is extremely crowded though and it's players have insane expectations, so you can't really do that and expect to survive unless you're WoW or FF.

E92 M3

I still don't know what to do with my 310 Raid Hand Cannon, Zaouli's Bane I just got last night.

I have:
302 Hung Jury Vendor (I want 310 eventually, but infuse with 310 would first get it to either 308 or 309 so I'd need another 310, as opposed to waiting to use a 304-307 first then 310 for final).

I'm impatient and I want to do something! What if they buff HCs then I'll be sad haha

I think it's a cool HC - just keep it!

Has either raid had such a big difference in mechanics between normal and hard where a strategy in normal doesn't work in hard? Honestly can't remember. I think it's always been harder enemies and no revive, but that's about it. Either way, that's a problem for another time if you can't do the 2 gaze approach, and even then, it's really only a problem for the gaze pullers.

Instead of two gaze pullers, you use one gaze puller at the front of the room and the other 5 get the first orb down and DPS the boss, then hop out and reset the entire encounter. Just repeat once the orbs respawn.

Oh... yeah... why doesn't everyone do that? (havent personally fought him yet so forgive any ignorance) From what i've watched that seems to be the most simple and and quickest way... is it also the most risky?

Baliis

Not in the strictest sense, though one could argue that games like WoW and FF11 and 14 do a version of both, sense while the content patches are "free," the playerbase is paying a subscription fee every month just to access the game and the large expansions are an additional purchase.

The MMO genre is extremely crowded though and it's players have insane expectations, so you can't really do that and expect to survive unless you're WoW or FF.

WoW and FFXIV both also microtransactions too. Pets, mounts, server transfers, name/character changes, etc.

Oh... yeah... why doesn't everyone do that? (havent personally fought him yet so forgive any ignorance) From what i've watched that seems to be the most simple and and quickest way... is it also the most risky?

It's slower mostly, more time spent during add waves. I wonder what the optimal rotation is. At some point, you've burned through all your sniper ammo and damage increases. Its prob just faster to get out then and restock rather than keep looking at him with primaries

What is the max light level for blues?
Best way to get them?
Does infusing an exotic into a legendary do anything greater?

I have a bunch of weapons hovering around 298-299, and I don't know how to increase their shit.

Any help?

Trickster

Did the daily heroic and the "secret" stuff. Hope there's some sort of followup to it that will unlock if you hand in the cult ghost. As it stand, seems like a lot of work for a bit of lore and a tiny amount of FWC rep.

Best way to get them?

I have a bunch of weapons hovering around 298-299, and I don't know how to increase their shit.

Any help?

blue's max at 300.

Best way is probably farming strikes and court of oryx. Though they are not gonna be very common.

Infusing an exotic doesn't do anything special.

If you want to find things over light level 300. You pretty much need to do the raid.

stb

WoW does this.

They sell mounts and pets + various other things like name changes, gender changes, race changes etc.

What are the content releases like for WoW (frequency, amount of content)? Do things like "raids" only come with the big expansions?

Yeah, the subscription thing is a wrinkle, for sure, when try to draw parallels and extrapolate what Bungie/Activision might have planned.

I have:

Hey X,
would you be able to join me tonight, if Hudson/Drizzay aren't able to? KF at 10pm EDT?

Best way to get them?

Any help?

I've gotten 300 light blues, so it's definitely possible, but it's very rare, in my experience.

So I picked up Destiny last night after about a week of thinking about it because my PS4 hasn't been used in months and I need something to play until Fallout comes out. I'm loving it so far. I'm a level 12 warlock and doing some of the dark below stuff? I guess? I'm fighting Crota's cronies?

My PSN ID is Blanksy37 if any of you guys are low level and want to join up to do some patrols or whatever people do on destiny together. I still don't really know how this game works. I did what I think was a strike with two random people and had a lot of fun. I killed a giant purple orb.

Hey X,
would you be able to join me tonight, if Hudson/Drizzay aren't able to? KF at 10pm EDT?

I've gotten 300 light blues, so it's definitely possible, but it's very rare, in my experience.

Hey, yea I should be good for that if they aren't able to! Hit me up with a message when you find out!

WoW does this.

Yeah but Blizzard keep updating the content via patches between, before and after the expansion adding vendors, events, new rep, several raids and dungeons for "free".

But now Bungie announced like it was a feature and everyone is pretty pleased I dont know why, that should be mandatory since the first "expansion"

Did the daily heroic and the "secret" stuff. Hope there's some sort of followup to it that will unlock if you hand in the cult ghost. As it stand, seems like a lot of work for a bit of lore and a tiny amount of FWC rep.

blue's max at 300.

Best way is probably farming strikes and court of oryx. Though they are not gonna be very common.

Infusing an exotic doesn't do anything special.

If you want to find things over light level 300. You pretty much need to do the raid.

Are legendary drops maxed at 300 too?

For the sake of the distinction.. I think "sequel" in this case would mean a game the size of Destiny Vanilla. The way that Halo 2, 3, etc.. are sequels... only with our Guardians retaining levels and gear. DLC would be stuff ranging from the size of TDB and HoW to TKK.

Edit:

MMO's typically do this but the "small expansions" are called content patches and are offered for free while the big ones are paid. Though there is a varied approach there as well. DCUO and The Secret World, for example, focus exclusively on smaller expansions which they market as story arcs and charge a smaller fee (something between 5 and 10 bucks iirc). Guild Wars 2 does free smaller updates every 2 weeks or so over the course of a "season" that tells a whole story. So far with them, they've done 2 "seasons" with some downtime between seasons and then an entire full paid expansion. So there's lots of ways to approach this kind of thing.

I'd say TTK was actually closer to the size of Vanilla than not, and of course the $40 price tag reflected the "almost" but not quite. With the Dreadnaught, Phobos, the added spaces during story missions, Strikes, and the Tookining of old Strikes and Patrol, King's Fall, quests, and probably more story than Vanilla...it was almost a full release.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Yeah but Blizzard keep updating the content via patches between, before and after the expansion adding vendors, events, new rep, several raids and dungeons for "free"

You are funding those updates through the monthly subscription though... I'd happily pay $15 a month to play Destiny if we would get monthly content drops actually.

commish

No, there's basically no risk at all, which is why, when I did it the first time, we all thought it would be nerfed/fixed for sure. And it very well might be. But that would only impact the 2 gaze holders.

Tovarisc

True, mechanics has never changed that much. I hope this time is different, with NM being downscaled HM instead of HM being upscaled NM like before.

Yeah but Blizzard keep updating the content via patches between, before and after the expansion adding vendors, events, new rep, several raids and dungeons for "free".

But now Bungie announced like it was a feature and everyone is pretty pleased I dont know why, that should be mandatory since the first "expansion"

It's a new sub-genre for Bungie and entirely on console, whose playerbase would have a wider variance in terms of game genre history. That they didn't figure out the absolute best way to monetize right off the bat is ok.

I mean look at all the standard MMO's that have tried a bunch of different monetization plans before settling on some version of F2P with Micro and they have a direct historical correlation showing they probably should've done that at the start.

I look at it like, well the previous decision wasn't great but they're trying to fix it, so it's fine. I don't see a reason to carry a grudge because a Dev or Publisher made a mistake.

Baliis

What are the content releases like for WoW (frequency, amount of content)? Do things like "raids" only come with the big expansions?

Typically a raid with each major patch. I think burning crusade had 5 raids, wrath had like 4, cata had 3 I think. Plus there were lots of single room dungeons basically that had 1-2 bosses but weren't really a full raid.

Edit: oh, cataclysm had 4 full raids, burning crusade had 6

Had a little downtime at work and decided to play around with build ideas. Now that we know we won't get another expansion until next year, there's plenty of time to work on optimizing a few different kits. Not that I need to, but that it'll be fun. Here's what I came up with:

zyiPSOs.png

Gotta give TTK credit. I never thought about kits before in Destiny.

This'll probably change when new exotic armors come out like Dunemarchers and Twilight Garrison.

I bet light may creep up a bit, but no more character levels til next year. Next year we'll go to level 50.

Afrocious

Awesome. Just made a new twitch account called YourBoyAfro. I'll be streaming a King's Fall run around 5pm-530pm Eastern if you wanna check it out.

http://www.twitch.tv/YourBoyAfro

So far, the folks in the fireteam are:

1)Myself(Afrodeeziyak)
2)Figs
3)Namikaze
4)Zocano
5)Potentially Zoba
6)Potentially LiK

Folgin can sub for a person. Another sub would be nice too if anyone wants to join in!

Now that we know we won't get another expansion until next year

Woah, catch me up pls

commish

True, mechanics has never changed that much. I hope this time is different, with NM being downscaled HM instead of HM being upscaled NM like before.

Yeah me too. I would love a remixed raid that we have to learn all over again, because simply "not dying" isn't really a big change.

FyreWulff

re: King's Fall Raid. One of the things I like is there's a job for everyone. Almost no downtime for anyone in a full party of six.

I'd say TTK was actually closer to the size of Vanilla than not, and of course the $40 price tag reflected the "almost" but not quite. With the Dreadnaught, Phobos, the added spaces during story missions, Strikes, and the Tookining of old Strikes and Patrol, King's Fall, quests, and probably more story than Vanilla...it was almost a full release.

I don't disagree. I'm just speaking in terms of what the difference is in expectations between the two types of interpretations on the whole "10 year support" plan. Or at least, what the expectations were when that was announced/released.

TP-DK

Lol was just doing the jumping puzzle after Golgoroth and while we were going for the chest one of my teammates if there really is a chance for an exotic. I say "yeah let me prove it to you" and then I get a titan exotoc helmet :D

Top Bottom