• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT33| Hey Luke, What's the Theme for King's Fall? (Unmarked Spoilers)

Schryver

Sleeper Simulant quest line has been activated. If you had found the 4 fusion rifles and turned them into banshee prior to today, you should see a secret mission unlocked on earth.

Did you have to actually find them all before today? Or can you find the remainder today and still do it?

Kyne

Shit. 100 rep from gunsmith rank 5. Need that First Curse.

when you get rank 5 you'll need to do a quick kill quest, then wait another week.

then do a crucible kill quest (which is going to be fucking hard) and then wait another week.

sorry son. the wait is real.

how are you rank 5 already?

on the Tuesday before TTK was released reset day refreshed armsday, and then it was reset again that Wednesday after. Anyone who got those quests in+used the nightfall buff on the original 5 gun quests should be about rank 5 now.

Start trying to gather a group for raiding on Friday.

PS4 Kings Fall Raid (x2, but can sign up for 1 or 2 or both. I estimate the 2nd to start at noon cst to give a nice buffer)
Friday, 10am CST

1) xplicitone
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)

Hoping to get back to back raids so let me know if you sign up if you're down for both!

when you get rank 5 you'll need to do a quick kill quest, then wait another week.

then do a crucible kill quest (which is going to be fucking hard) and then wait another week.

on the Tuesday before TTK was released reset day reset armsday, and then it was reset again that Wednesday after. Anyone who got those quests in+used the nightfall buff on the original 5 gun quests should be about rank 5 now.

bleh, well that makes sense then.

Zocano

You're missing the point when people say Diablo loot =/= MMO loot.

Diablo is all about loot fountains. There is no specific loot from specific locations. There is no drip feeding or long quest lines. It's all about LOOTLOOTLOOTLOOT. People ran Mephisto over and over and over because it was efficient and he had a high chance to drop rarer loot. Diablo 3 (in my opinion) fixed that ideology of a tight efficient loot hunting loop and stretched out the content you're running through so it's less repetitive and ideally more engaging and fun with stuff like Adventure Mode. And all the while you are killing monsters and they're all dropping hordes of different items that you can combine or dismantle or socket or use in tandem to support your skills and make really really really specific builds.Everything explodes with drops of all kinds and nothing is unique to anything.

MMO loot is not that. MMO loot is a reward for beating a challenge. All the loot and gear you ever get is so that you can continue on through a drip feeding of harder and harder content. Ideally, there is a very clear road of progression you want to go through. In FF14 terms, you run the simple dungeons over and over to get marks that let you buy the gear to be outfitted enough to do The First Coil of Bahamut which lets you get geared enough to do The Second Coil and then lastly Final Coil.

And most importantly it is in no way a loot fountain. You are not sifting through a mess of items that are all super highly complex or different or completely change a build. It's all about efficiency for whatever role you have in a raid (or PvP). The loot is mostly static and you know exactly what you want and you will often not get loot in a timely manner. People complain about this shit in Destiny but MMO raid loot has been stingey since fuckin' Molten Core of Pre-BC WoW. It's the nature of the beast to keep you replaying and chasing and chasing to have a better geared character so you can either call yourself the best damn geared guy in town or be able to tackle the next step in raid progression as effectively as possible.

Destiny is almost entirely structured around MMO loot. You can see the clear and obvious structural differences in how the loot is fed out to you and the variation of the loot between Destiny and Borderlands. They are perfect parallels of WoW(MMO) loot and Diablo loot, respectively.

Tovarisc

Only interesting exotic warlock armor is those boots and those aren't even available in the game. Transversive Steps, they increase crouched movement speed and if you pick up e.g. special ammo it automatically reloads equipped special weapon.
http://www.destinydb.com/items/2275132880-transversive-steps

Ophidian Aspect gloves also sound kinda neat, but same time are super generic exotic armor. Better siphon and faster weapon reloading, meh much?
http://www.destinydb.com/items/1062853751-ophidian-aspect

Just me or are exotic warlock armors very lackluster and uninteresting in Y2?

how are you rank 5 already?

I'll be 5 on my hunter as soon as I finish this weeks' test weapons.

Did you have to actually find them all before today? Or can you find the remainder today and still do it?

I think you need to find all 4 by reset today, but I'm not sure.

I believe you. I've just never seen one before.

Yeah they are quite rare. Barrens has always been the most consistent for me.

on the Tuesday before TTK was released reset day refreshed armsday, and then it was reset again that Wednesday after. Anyone who got those quests in+used the nightfall buff on the original 5 gun quests should be about rank 5 now.

Shit. Man who the hell thought waiting for weeks was a good idea. That's boring as hell. They're just stringing it along to stretch out the content.

Only interesting exotic warlock armor is those boots and those aren't even available in the game. Transversive Steps, they increase crouched movement speed and if you pick up e.g. special ammo it automatically reloads equipped special weapon.
http://www.destinydb.com/items/2275132880-transversive-steps

Ophidian Aspect gloves also sound kinda neat, but same time are super generic exotic armor. Better siphon and faster weapon reloading, meh much?
http://www.destinydb.com/items/1062853751-ophidian-aspect

Just me or are exotic warlock armors very lackluster and uninteresting in Y2?

Very much meh. Hopefully we're missing something.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Is anyone still using Red Bull codes for Focused Light? My codes redeemed successful but I've been waiting 4 weeks now for mine to arrive in the postmaster.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
again 20 moldering shards get me 2 moldering shards, and the chest armor for the 3rd time.

ugh.

And most importantly it is in no way a loot fountain. You are not sifting through a mess of items that are all super highly complex or different or completely change a build. It's all about efficiency for whatever role you have in a raid (or PvP). The loot is mostly static and you know exactly what you want and you will often not get loot in a timely manner. People complain about this shit in Destiny but MMO raid loot has been stingey since fuckin' Molten Core of Pre-BC WoW. It's the nature of the beast to keep you replaying and chasing and chasing to have a better geared character so you can either call yourself the best damn geared guy in town or be able to tackle the next step in raid progression as effectively as possible.

The difference is, that no loot in World of Warcraft is 'Oh you have to do it within a day and then it goes away'. There is no raid or dungeon that only opens once a week(Or maybe even longer depending if Bungie does the '1 month' formula like Iron Banner, and since it appears to be time activated.). And that is the issue that me and others are taking with it..

....But it is a loot game(Which is what I'm arguing). Destiny takes aspects of both MMO loot(Raid Drops, Quest Lines) and Diablo loot(Random perks on weapons/armor.)

People complain about this shit in Destiny but MMO raid loot has been stingey since fuckin' Molten Core of Pre-BC WoW.

Pretty much this, still remember when it took me 7mnths to get the trinket that I needed to be competitive in Raids in WoW. Destiny loot by comparision is still stingy but it is much more kind particularly as it allows people who play casually to still be competitive and get good drops.

The difference is, that no loot in World of Warcraft is 'Oh you have to do it within a day and then it goes away'. There is no raid or dungeon that only opens once a week(Or maybe even longer depending if Bungie does the '1 month' formula like Iron Banner, and since it appears to be time activated.). And that is the issue that me and others are taking with it..

You mean besides all the loot and stuff locked behind world events that are only available for a few days a year?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Go to red bull support and send them your code + pic of can. They will send you newer codes, might take a few days.

Would it be a Red Bull issue though? The codes all successfully redeemed and confirmed so it seems its more on Bungie's side.

I just wondered if anyone else has redeemed any this week and had it arrive in the postmaster. I expect the usage of codes has lowered since everyone will be maxed out on XP and level.

Tovarisc

Very much meh. Hopefully we're missing something.

• Sunsinger - Claws of Ahamkara is clear winner, 2x overshield melee
  • Voidwalker - Ummm... Obsidian Mind if I really have to pick one, but nova bomb isn't needed that often
  • Stormcaller - Ummm... I guess The Impossible Machines if I'm really into PvP, but super situational exotic
Everything else in Y2 just isn't worth their cost and XP required to level them up. Warlock exotics have never blown any minds and being very... generalistic and not provided insane boosts. The Ram was exception to this, but that was just brokenly OP.

I really do hope that we are missing something epic here and Bungie has managed to hide some very cool warlock gear. Meanwhile give me those boots to hold me over.

Edit:
At least death doesn't reset your progress... So it's do-able.

What is PvP step specifically? Not seen specific requirements yet.

Which is why Destiny is closer to Diablo than WoW, because the gameplay goals are more similar to Diablo.

Nope. I don't know your gaming history at all really, and this isn't a judgement one way or the other when I say this. It sounds like you haven't played very many MMOs but you have played a lot of loot games. That would explain why you feel Destiny's loot mechanisms are closer to a Diablo than it is to a WoW. But you're mistaken on that.

And the Vanilla story made it seem that they didn't care about it. Borderlands 2 gets criticized alot for its story, but despite that, Borderlands 2 actually had a semblance of story with alot more dialogue than Destiny. Unless you're talking about the first Borderlands, in which case the story was abysmal.

I was talking about the first one, which didn't really get a ton of backlash for the story because it was all about loot.

You keep bringing up the Gjall, but I'm not sure you understand why it isn't helping your argument. The Gjallahorn was a unique, overpowered case. You're trying to use it for your argument of 'Well uh look at the gjallahorn people used that into TDB!!!! See!". No, the Gjallahorn was a special case because it was overpowered. As for bringing up HoW, again you could 'ascend' all your gear at that point that it became more of an aesthetic thing for gear at that point. Which again doubles down on that this is a loot game if you're collecting gear for just how it looked or shot, atleast in HoW.

Exhange Gjall with Suros then. Or Icebreaker. Or Vision of Confluence. Or Fatebringer. Outside of balance changes to entire weapon classes, the good stuff from Vault was still good going forward in TDB. The Light Levels from HM Vault Armor made progression in TDB faster (until you hit the Marks/Raid Drops wall).

You're missing the point when people say Diablo loot =/= MMO loot.

Diablo is all about loot fountains. There is no specific loot from specific locations. There is no drip feeding or long quest lines. It's all about LOOTLOOTLOOTLOOT. People ran Mephisto over and over and over because it was efficient and he had a high chance to drop rarer loot. Diablo 3 (in my opinion) fixed that ideology of a tight efficient loot hunting loop and stretched out the content you're running through so it's less repetitive and ideally more engaging and fun with stuff like Adventure Mode. And all the while you are killing monsters and they're all dropping hordes of different items that you can combine or dismantle or socket or use in tandem to support your skills and make really really really specific builds.Everything explodes with drops of all kinds and nothing is unique to anything.

MMO loot is not that. MMO loot is a reward for beating a challenge. All the loot and gear you ever get is so that you can continue on through a drip feeding of harder and harder content. Ideally, there is a very clear road of progression you want to go through. In FF14 terms, you run the simple dungeons over and over to get marks that let you buy the gear to be outfitted enough to do The First Coil of Bahamut which lets you get geared enough to do The Second Coil and then lastly Final Coil.

Destiny is almost entirely structured around MMO loot. You can see the clear and obvious structural differences in how the loot is fed out to you and the variation of the loot between Destiny and Borderlands. They are perfect parallels of WoW(MMO) loot and Diablo loot, respectively.

You've described the difference much more clearly than I have. Thank you.

Gold_Loot

Am I the only one that plays "Guess where the cockpit is" whenever you get a new ship? Because I sure as hell can't find it on quite a few of them.

You mean besides all the loot and stuff locked behind world events that are only available for a few days a year?

Which tend to be limited to cosmetics and not actual optimal things for current content.

Nope. I don't know your gaming history at all really, and this isn't a judgement one way or the other when I say this. It sounds like you haven't played very many MMOs but you have played a lot of loot games. That would explain why you feel Destiny's loot mechanisms are closer to a Diablo than it is to a WoW. But you're mistaken on that.

Please, I've played WoW for years. The loot drip in WoW is alot slower than it is in Destiny, and there are more things you can earn than just gear and guns and much more you can do , much much much more than Destiny.

I was talking about the first one, which didn't really get a ton of backlash for the story because it was all about loot.

Pretty sure it was hurt in reviews because of it.

Exhange Gjall with Suros then. Or Icebreaker. Or Vision of Confluence. Or Fatebringer. Outside of balance changes to entire weapon classes, the good stuff from Vault was still good going forward in TDB. The Light Levels from HM Vault Armor made progression in TDB faster (until you hit the Marks/Raid Drops wall).

Auto Rifles got nerfed and Suros was useless for TDB and HoW. IceBreaker was used for the ammo glitch in TDB. Vision of Confluence was one of the very few automatic Scout Rifles until HoW, and Fatebringer was the strongest handcannon in the game. Edge cases really, not suitable as examples.

You've described the difference much more clearly than I have. Thank you.

Because it's a loot game.

Tovarisc

As long as you get the Kill Spree, it shouldn't reset that part. But of course, dying will reset each Spree attempt.

How many sprees you need to do? How long one spree has to be? Weapon limitations?

Give me all the details, I have to wait until next Wednesday to see for myself :(

Top Bottom