• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

The fact that 6 people have to be alive for at least 90% of all encounters is another design flaw in my opinion.

The other raids made it harder to finish, but you could still do it.
Now, if one person dies, DPS is stunted, and leads to more deaths.
Not to mention early encounters need everyone as well.
Golgoroth seems like the only part that doesn't need everyone to be alive to finish it.
I don't mind this. Nothing wrong with DPS checks. Though I also play XIV and it's not unlikely to wipe in a raid because a single DPS was dead or not playing properly.

My issue with it in Destiny right now however is that your ability to meet those DPS checks is gated by severe RNG. I'm 305 light. I've done the raid multiple times every week just like everyone else, yet others are able to get higher than me. Why is it fair that I'm at more of a disadvantage come this raid, even though I've done literally all I can to meet the requirements? It's very poorly designed. All armour in the normal raid should have dropped at 310.

Trickster

Reading up on the thread after doing HM and reaching Oryx yesterday. Kinda glad I'm not the only one that has issues with this HM. Was honestly expecting something much more substantial.

Outside of Oryx, the only tricky part on any of the fights is the whole cant revive thing, which I didn't know about before starting the raid, but apparently that's nothing new to HM in Destiny.

But like. Other than not being able to revive, these HM bosses where just so dissapointingly similar to the HM equivelant. You didn't need to change your NM tactics in really any way at all. The only thing my group did differently on a boss was Golgoroth, and that was a regressive thing in my view more than anything, rather than do that fight "proper", and use 2 gaze holders. We ended up just doing the one gaze faceroll strat, and that worked flawlessly.

I really don't know what Bungie was thinking with this HM. And much less the logic behind hyping it up like they did.

The fact that 6 people have to be alive for at least 90% of all encounters is another design flaw in my opinion.

The other raids made it harder to finish, but you could still do it.
Now, if one person dies, DPS is stunted, and leads to more deaths.
Not to mention early encounters need everyone as well.
Golgoroth seems like the only part that doesn't need everyone to be alive to finish it.

I agree 100% In an effort to stop cheese they made Oryx stale. Some of the BEST moments in the old raids was overcoming a boss fight even after people started dying. Bungie is so afraid people will "push Atheon off the ledge" again and stop playing. Not everyone needs a carrot to chase to enjoy the game. If the content is fun and fair I will play it forever.

bitsurugi

People used the Fatebringer because it was a really good gun. It being Arc meant very little in nearly every piece of content outside of Arc Burn Nightfalls. If the Fatebringer had been a nonelemental primary from the get go, with all of the other stats the same, it still would have been the best non-exotic hand cannon in the game at the time, and people still would have used it.

Primaries having elements arent the problem. Having an element means nothing outside of 'burned' Nightfalls. I used my Fatebringer constantly... even when I was in a burn other than Arc... because it was just THAT good. Like I said before... if in Year 2, I got an Imago Loop, with Outlaw and Firefly... I would drop my Hawkmoon (which is the only Primary I currently use anyway, so, so much for variety), in an instant, because an Imago Loop with Outlaw and Firefly would be a Year 2 Fatebringer without Arc. (Plox Destiny RNG... drop me my Year 2 Fatebringer...)

The problem with people only using certain weapons was a combination of the fact that there werent many elemental primaries to begin with, and of that very small pool only a few of them were worth using.

By my count, just quickly, off the top of my head... there were 16 possible elemental lengendary primaries in the game during Year 1. 4 from the Vault of Glass, 4 from Crota's End, 4 from the Prison of Elders and 4 from the Trials of Osiris...

Of those 16? 3 of them were S-tier: the Fatebringer, the Vision of Confluence and the Fang of Ir Yut. After that the rest of them were pretty much hot garbage. And if none of them had had elements... the 3 S-tiers... still would have been S-tiers...

So you made a pool of 16 guns, where only 3 of them were any good, and youre blaming the element and not the sample size as the problem? So when Luke Smith says "Having elemental primaries shoehorned people into only using certain weapons and hindered variety" hes wrong. He is actually literally wrong. The actual problem was having TOO FEW elemental primaries and making even fewer of them really really good guns.

To solve the problem, you introduce MORE elemental primaries, by letting every legendary primary in the game roll a random element, just like every other legendary weapon in the game...

I bet right now more people are using the vender bought Hung Jury than there were people using a Fatebringer in Year 1. Why? Because the Hung Jury is pretty much a god tier weapon... I hate scout rifles with a passion and even Im willing to acknowledge that.

You make some points which i can agree to a certain degree.

But then again.. vault space... infuson system kinda screwed the blueprints, since i have lots of exotics just ''in case'' if i get a gun i will like and infuse later on.

Immagin with more guns... oh boy...

Acidote

You make some points which i can agree to a certain degree.

But then again.. vault space... infuson system kinda screwed the blueprints, since i have lots of exotics just ''in case'' if i get a gun i will like and infuse later on.

Immagin with more guns... oh boy...

Me vault space is filled with some legendary and exotic engrams waiting for me to be over 310. Isn't really fun.

I don't mind this. Nothing wrong with DPS checks. Though I also play XIV and it's not unlikely to wipe in a raid because a single DPS was dead or not playing properly.

My issue with it in Destiny right now however is that your ability to meet those DPS checks is gated by severe RNG. I'm 305 light. I've done the raid multiple times every week just like everyone else, yet others are able to get higher than me. Why is it fair that I'm at more of a disadvantage come this raid, even though I've done literally all I can to meet the requirements? It's very poorly designed. All armour in the normal raid should have dropped at 310.

They said the reason for not bringing Gjallahorn forward was that it was to much of a requirement for LFG groups, instead they've made an even worse situation with high light level being required and to achieve that you need as much luck as getting the horn to drop, I'd be amazed if a sub 310 gets any responses for HM

theres only one thing for it

Bring back the King

bitsurugi

I agree 100% In an effort to stop cheese they made Oryx stale. Some of the BEST moments in the old raids was overcoming a boss fight even after people started dying. Bungie is so afraid people will "push Atheon off the ledge" again and stop playing. Not everyone needs a carrot to chase to enjoy the game. If the content is fun and fair I will play it forever.

We had a 3 man phase 3 of warpriest and a 2 man last stand with orxy ^^

On a more serious note: i agree with you, in HM, early to mid death = wipe, esp now when underlevelled. Hence i suggested sunsinger warlocks as best class atm for Oryx.

Raid team will need to find a balance between a Swiss cheese encounter and a next to onewayonly design.

Both are bad in their own way.

edit: spelling

Tecnniqe

Banned
They said the reason for not bringing Gjallahorn forward was that it was to much of a requirement for LFG groups, instead they've made an even worse situation with high light level being required, I'd be amazed if a sub 310 gets any responses for HM

theres only one thing for it

Bring back the King

Gjalla 2.0 LETS GO!

Soo, did anyone find the last fragments yet?

GutZ31

Hard mode Oryx really doesnt feel "fun" to me.
More of a "we couldn't think of any way of making this difficult without making you underleveled, and not make it easy to cheese" from bungie.

If the fun factor is just overcoming the level disadvantage, I was livid at Skolas, why the fuck would I be OK with this now?
I really hope Bungie makes something not only challenging next time, but actually fun to do for everyone.
Crota was pretty much trash for everyone but one person.
PoE Skolas was trash because of being underleveled.
Vault of Glass made it fun for everyone.

bitsurugi

Couple super late replys here to GGs to all you fine gentlemen. The company was more fun than the content at least, haha.

I've already made a few posts about HM so I won't keep harping on it. Maybe I'll try to collect some thoughts about all our discussions in a more fleshed out post later.

It's still fresh for me to make definitive opinions, but so far i can almost for sure say:

- most groups will one shot up to oryx, if they know what to do in NM

- most groups will be frustrated on oryx... a lot. Fight needs almost flawless execution from 6 ppl and a good group is better then any light level BS or weapon requirement. This might change in a few weeks once ppl level up and get used to HM (which means DO NOT DIE)

Nothus

Whatever happened to that extra room that somone found in normal mode but couldn't figure out what to do with it? Still not used in HM then?

I was hoping that the missing fragments might have meant a completely new section in the HM raid for them to be hidden in, but I guess not :(

Ken

Fight needs almost flawless execution from 6 ppl and a good group is better then any light level BS or weapon requirement. This might change in a few weeks once ppl level up and get used to HM (which means DO NOT DIE)

Should describe every HM boss fight and not just Oryx, tbh.

well you've been one of the primary whiners in the OTs, so it doesn't surprise me that you feel this way.

you're right though, i'll leave this thread. if i don't, it's going to be hard continuing to play this game, knowing that i'm playing with a bunch of grown up children with severely fucked up priorities.

spot on post imo

zwnFq6y.gif

After reading the last few pages HM sounds like a shitty version of NM.

D:

I feel like it's basically the first time we ran normal, it requires flawless execution because we don't have the light to carry the weight of a fuck up. I guarantee if you enter with 6x 317+ you'll be able to recover from one guardian down. Right now though, with every one 310ish there is no margin for error, which just causes frustration.

jediyoshi

Got a 310 alch raiment from a 3oc strike exotic engram. I'd love it if only its unique upgrade weren't so dumb. Infusion fodder it goes.

Zocano

I don't understand people complaining about need a certain light level to effectively beat an encounter. Sorry RNG fucked you, but this is still a stat based game and it's not always going to be 100% skill based. Just because the raid came out today doesn't mean that everyone should be allowed to beat it. Gear checks exist to keep you in the gear hunting loop. Unless something really crazy fundamental happens in Destiny 2, this is the game you are playing.

Tovarisc

Reading up on the thread after doing HM and reaching Oryx yesterday. Kinda glad I'm not the only one that has issues with this HM. Was honestly expecting something much more substantial.

Outside of Oryx, the only tricky part on any of the fights is the whole cant revive thing, which I didn't know about before starting the raid, but apparently that's nothing new to HM in Destiny.

But like. Other than not being able to revive, these HM bosses where just so dissapointingly similar to the HM equivelant. You didn't need to change your NM tactics in really any way at all. The only thing my group did differently on a boss was Golgoroth, and that was a regressive thing in my view more than anything, rather than do that fight "proper", and use 2 gaze holders. We ended up just doing the one gaze faceroll strat, and that worked flawlessly.

I really don't know what Bungie was thinking with this HM. And much less the logic behind hyping it up like they did.

Nice to hear that you guys good progress yesterday, going for kill today?

Zocano

Also, I don't care how blunt it sounds, but stop dying. I don't see "I don't like that we aren't allowed to die because, now with HM, someone dying just means a wipe" as even remotely a reasonable criticism. There are better more important things they should fix about HM, first of all.

Secondly, stop dying. Dying means you fucked up and in a team game you let the team down. Stop dying. If it's a gear problem, which for all intents and purposes, it currently is, then, oops, get more gear next week.

KanameYuuki

What I find really funny is the dead counter totem at Golgoroth, if 6 of your team members die it's a wipe obviously, why bother having that on hard mode lol, it would only be relevant with a full team of Sunsinger warlocks.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Also, I don't care how blunt it sounds, but stop dying. I don't see "I don't like that we aren't allowed to die because, now with HM, someone dying just means a wipe" as even remotely a reasonable criticism. There are better more important things they should fix about HM, first of all.

Secondly, stop dying. Dying means you fucked up and in a team game you let the team down. Stop dying.

Because other games with raids allow a certain amount of revives even in harder raids as long as the healers actually revive them, but seeing as destiny have no dedi healing class theres no way

Zocano

Because other games with raids allow a certain amount of revives even in harder raids as long as the healers actually revive them, but seeing as destiny have no dedi healing class theres no way

Only DPS are really expendable in standard MMOs. If a tank dies, either the tank super fucked up, or the healer fucked up. That's a hard ass wipe. If a healer dies, good fucking luck, that's a wipe. The only time there's even a bit of leeway in this regard is if it's more than 10-ish people because there are so many people that can typically cover a failure.

Since Destiny is entirely built around DPS because it's still a shooter at the end of the day, everything is DPS race and even down one DPS leads into crazy snowballing.

But seriously, even in that case, stop dying. There's no excuse for dying, dying means either gear problems or you are playing poorly.

HM is disappointing, but I'll still stand by the general design of this raid. I want more defined roles across the whole party. More team play is good. Sure it makes it "easier" once everyone gets the rhythm down but it's much more satisfying executing perfectly. Also it's easier to find out who fucked up and yell at them if there is a wipe.

theytookourjobz

Never raided. Don't have any friends on the XB1 to play with. What do I do at 291 light by myself? What should I spend my legendary marks on? Is the Year 2 Bad JuJu or Truth worthwhile?

Got a 310 alch raiment from a 3oc strike exotic engram. I'd love it if only its unique upgrade weren't so dumb. Infusion fodder it goes.

I thought it'd be cool for a Tlaloc build but thing is seriously bad. Orbs of light give you maybe a quarter of your grenades and melee back and even if you have full super and full grenade + melee it still swallows orbs.

Only DPS are really expendable in standard MMOs. If a tank dies, either the tank super fucked up, or the healer fucked up. That's a hard ass wipe. If a healer dies, good fucking luck, that's a wipe. The only time there's even a bit of leeway in this regard is if it's more than 10-ish people because there are so many people that can typically cover a failure.

Since Destiny is entirely built around DPS because it's still a shooter at the end of the day, everything is DPS race and even down one DPS leads into crazy snowballing.

But seriously, even in that case, stop dying. There's no excuse for dying, dying means either gear problems or you are playing poorly.

Or you know you get physicsed and die. Or something similiarly random happens like Oryx freezing thus screwing your attempt.

Saying "stop dying your playing poorly" isnt constructive at all. Get out of here with that attitude. Its seriously the most stupid and toxic type of attitude, no different from seriously trying to tell someone to "git gud".

Zocano

Thanks bits! We spent many hours on Oryx but got him down eventually :p

We are going to do a fresh raid run in about 40min, will need a 6th if you are interested in helping :)

HM Oryx Kill #2 Incomming!

What was your team comp like? Light level wise, I mean.

Ken

Other games with raids also have a required raid DPS to clear or you hit enrage. Even with revives, there's still a penalty to that raid DPS (usually in the form of raise sickness but also just the time from being down is DPS not being done).

Secondly, stop dying. Dying means you fucked up and in a team game you let the team down. Stop dying. If it's a gear problem, which for all intents and purposes, it currently is, then, oops, get more gear next week.

Well said!

HM has been out less than 24 hours and people are complaining that they haven't beaten it yet. Main gripe being RNG hasn't been kind to them. Seriously, what is with the sense of entitlement? People seem to want everything yesterday and if they don't have it then something is to blame.

I don't know about anyone else but I play this game to have fun, and a laugh playing now with my clan mates. When NM came out we beat our head against the DPS checks. But instead of complaining about random drops we were of the opinion that next reset would get us a bit closer. Or that the luckier members of the clan could fill in for the DPS we were short of until everyone levelled up a bit.

Just take a break and come back to it in a few hours / days / weeks. Play for the fun! its meant to be a challenge and I would rather it took even the worlds first people a week or so to complete the raid because the checks were that tight and you actually needed to progress week to week just to make it to the next checkpoint

We are going to do a fresh raid run in about 40min, will need a 6th if you are interested in helping :)

I can do it in 40 mins if Bitsurugi doesn't want to join.

Liamc723

That's complete trash.

A variety of reasons can lead to you dying, and they're not always your fault. Also, claiming that you're just playing poorly creates a toxic environment for anyone you play with, and that's not what this community is about.

Namikaze1

If bits isn't interested, I'm up for it. Haven't done HM on my warlock yet.

Coming from an MMO background I agree with this.

Generally speaking, if you die you've done something wrong. Most of the time it's either:

- You're standing in the wrong place
- Not paying attention to your debuffs
- Poor decision making

Any one of the above either on their own or more than one will cause you to die or wipe. That's just the way it is.

Obviously there's sometimes other issues such as rubber banding/lag which is out with your control but the above is primarily the cause.

Zocano

Or you know you get physicsed and die. Or something similiarly random happens like Oryx freezing thus screwing your attempt.

Saying "stop dying your playing poorly" isnt constructive at all. Get out of here with that attitude. Its seriously the most stupid and toxic type of attitude, no different from seriously trying to tell someone to "git gud".

I'm sorry but I expect people to play well in an environment that demands near perfect execution. It's why I hate raiding with randoms in standard MMOs. Standard MMO raiding is 1000x more intense and demanding and most of the time it's actually really easy as long as everyone is doing exactly what they need to be doing. Git gud is exactly what I expect from people.

I would also guess that the percentage of wipes from a bug or "physics" is actually way way way way less then people actually lead you to think.

Lastly, I'm not going to be open and welcoming to people who play poorly in a game mode that requires you to do exactly the opposite.

Zocano

That's complete trash.

A variety of reasons can lead to you dying, and they're not always your fault. Also, claiming that you're just playing poorly creates a toxic environment for anyone you play with, and that's not what this community is about.

I am not speaking strictly in Destiny's terms. 99% of the time in standard MMO raiding, if you die, it's your fault because you fucked up or made a mistake. How to fix that? Stop making mistakes.

- You're standing in the wrong place
- Not paying attention to your debuffs
- Poor decision making

You know what? I'm honestly fucking shocked at how many people can't keep track of their cooldowns.

neoism

wow at these last few pages....lol kappa
I want more vehicles in Destiny. I was playing Halo 3 earlier on 360 for nostalgia's sake and the vehicles are all so fun.

soo has anyone noticed if they increased the weight on combined arms in classic 6v6....i got three games yesterday... in like 6 i was happy... i to miss fun vehicle combat and btb... :*(

I'll just throw in my 2 motes.

The end game in The Taken King is missing three crucial things from year one - challenge, gear chase, and payoff.

Challenge: When you hit light 300 (which is not that difficult if you've raided a few times), you are overleveled for everything in the game except the Raid. In Year One, most of the content was at max level, so reaching Level 30 was desirable to benefit from the damage resistance. In Year Two however, Weekly Strikes and Daily story missions are not max level. The only encounter we are leveling up for is Hard Mode. This means that if you do not run the Raid, there is no reason to hit the level cap; consequently, there is no reason to organize a group run the Raid with.

Why do we play Halo on a higher difficulty? We want challenge. We want to outsmart puzzles and overcome insurmountable odds. We play the challenging content in Destiny for the same reason, and it is through overcoming that challenge that we are rewarded with better gear to prepare us for the next challenge - gear that could even change the way we play the game.

Gear Chase: We used to share checkpoints for weapon drops - that's how coveted weapons from Year One were. Take away their elements and they are still coveted because their base stats were really fucking good - absolutely too good, but that's why the content was replayed as much as it was. Vault of Glass in itself is fun, but it's not 12 months worth of replayability fun without the weapons that were part of it and the stories of obtaining them. Almost every weapon was worth getting from that Raid.

We are running the most difficult content over and over because we want the best guns in the game. We want the best guns to feel powerful and get ready for the next challenge. We celebrate those moments when RNG blesses us with what we want, and throw ourselves into the dark corners of time when it doesn't. That equates to replay value week after week by our own volition - not through arbitrary time gates - and we know that the reward is worth it because the guns are fucking amazing.

Why level up for the most difficult content to run the most difficult content for guns that are not amazing? The satisfaction of beating Oryx dissipates when you open the chest week after week and either find nothing or a weapon that may as well be a doorstopper.

There can still be good weapons in the game without trivializing the encounters - certainly not anymore than they already are by being overleveled. A well designed and mechanically intensive encounter is not going to fall apart when we bring good weapons to the battle. Our good weapons are going to make the encounter more fun because we feel powerful after putting in the work to get there.

Payoff: And that's the root of these problems. The work we put in is disproportionate to what we're getting out of it. Destiny needs something that makes players hungry. It does not need exotic quests that roll out every week for one day only before disappearing again. It does not need lengthy quests that reward the player with a gun they'll use once. And it absolutely does not need less of the materials to upgrade the weapons when we want to try them out.

Variety is an illusion because people will always seek the best guns; Destiny does not need variety, because that gives the player too many choices and consequentially introduces mediocrity when those choices are distilled to be balanced similarly to one another. What is the difference between Vendor weapons and Raid weapons? One looks like a slab of meat, and the other is something you actually use.

Destiny needs direction and it needs focus. Give players builds to chase after and then make the content difficult as fuck so that those builds are way more desirable. I want to see Oryx drop the most bad ass Solar hand cannon, and then level 42 Nightfall with Solar Burn every other week. Boom, now people are replaying the Raid because they want to blow through that Nightfall.

In laymen's terms, removing elemental damage from weapons dropping from the most difficult content in the game (and by extension, making the base stats on those weapons complete trash) is almost single-handedly responsible for the problem with the end game. The other problem is again - the payoff of running the Raid, seeing gear drop that isn't your level, and feeling like you wasted time when you realized you were chasing after something you don't even need.

At the end of the day, we're using guns, not armor. It's more fun to shoot an OP gun than it is to wear stronger armor.

Luke, I've disagreed with your philosophy for Year Two ever since I got the Touch of Malice and realized that it was only worth using for 5 minutes a week. I hope the team reconsiders these decisions, otherwise I can't see Year Two's longevity coming anywhere close to that of Year One. It hasn't for me.

Perhaps we are no longer chasing after max level and strong builds because there is no longer an expansion with more difficult content on the horizon. But I wouldn't imagine that Bungie would want to design the game to encourage players to play it less than they did before, because that's exactly what The Taken King is doing.

Also, I play Halo on Heroic when I want to enjoy myself and Legendary when I want to be a masochist. If you guys think being underleveled in Destiny is bad, play Halo 2 on Legendary.

also amazing post zoba totally agree...
bungle hire zoba

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom