• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1 Reason for running HM.

11181869_968099559894982_7740700214851561785_n.jpg

SkylineRKR

The problem with making extremely powerful and all desired guns is that those become the de facto weapons of the game and there's no reason to use anything else. This is/was especially a problem when those select weapons were actually incredibly plentiful and very common, relative to the ecosystem now.

I'd rather have 10 different weapons that I use all once a week rather than 1 weapon I use all week.

Yes, I get the point of them existing as the ultimate "chase", but I prefer what we have now.

In the end it doesn't matter. In Y1 all I ever saw were Fatebringers or Visions. In Y2 its mostly Hung Juries. And people rush through the content just as easily. Nightfall has been nerfed and you can take more risks. The Raids have less majors and shields. Sure, insert elemental primaries in TTK, but for what? Weekly burns are almost non existant and as said before, I feel there are less shields. Plus, there are swords and those are de facto weapons on anything that has above average defense..

Also, Snipers have become much more important now. Y1 had Ice Breaker, sure, but mostly because of not risking an orbit wipe in NF and the oracle phase. But I think that the lack of elemental primaries means you actually have to manage your special ammo. I know I do.

who is we?

I didn't know zoba was the official spokesperson for the community

Would you like to break down the problems with Destiny's end-game? I simplified what I think about it down to 3 things:

>Content that is not challenging. There aren't enough activities at the level cap to make the level cap worth chasing.
>Weapons (and gear) that are not good. They don't have to be OP, but the end-game content should give the player with weapons worth the effort put in to attain them. (You can quantify who good a weapon is by its stats, so whether or not you like the Raid weapons doesn't make them good guns.)
>This equates to replayability. Looking for a specific weapon or speccing into a specific armor build to tackle challenging content.

What part is there to disagree with? You don't want elemental primaries, therefore the end-game is completely fine? Destiny needs variety?

No where did I say Fatebringer or Gjallarhorn was good weapon design. I did however point out what they did right that is missing from Year Two and why the end game may soon lose its luster.

What if there was a Quest for an Exotic in the game that was so difficult that you literally could not attempt it without the proper weapons and armor? This one thing would stimulate the game community by getting players to hop into the Raid and look for elemental weapons and burn armor to work together to tackle this quest. That is how you add replayability to the game.

The discussion is on the table, but people are so fixated with me as an individual and not the game itself. I'm just someone who analyzes the situation at a fundamental level and attempts to articulate it. I'd never be daft to claim that I am always right, but everything I say is usually backed up by people with far more knowledge than myself.

Ryuuga

Banned
The discussion is on the table, but people are so fixated with the me as an individual and not the game itself. I'm just someone who analyzes the situation at a fundamental level and attempts to articulate it. I'd never be daft to claim that I am always right, but everything I say is usually backed up by people with far more knowledge than myself.

I honestly feel like dissenters spend much more time trying to paint you as a false prophet, than to have an actual discussion. I'm not sure why you even take the time anymore.

neoism

Need 3 for another hard run to from the beginning up til killing the sisters. Will only take an hour, 90 minutes max - just like the last two times we ran it

1 me
2 jinjo
3 bitofadrizzle

Add Mr-Stephen on PSN

im only 304 you got room let me get on???

phen0m24

Ahh 5 hours of sleep

Made it to daughters and almost had them but guys had to drop.

I agree with Drizzy on the overall feeling of HM. We ran last night as 4 warlocks and 2 titans. We liked the Aha! moment on Golgy but that was about it. The mechanics on Daughters were more frustrating than fun but that's due to only one night of running them. Someone got torn and we didn't know each other well enough to immediately cover his platform.

I really hope or wish there was a Mythoclast type carrot at the end. I mean the raid weapons suck. I infused another fusion rifle into my 1YS and I got a lousy 310 rocket launcher. Bleh! That got infused immediately.

There clearly isn't the "Hope I get a _______" anymore, it's I hope I get/hit a #.

And for that reason I think people will end up doing far more in the way of strikes to grab those special weapons - the Grasp, the Treads, even the cloaks and such because of the novelty of them - than bang their heads against a wall for hours to get a 310 that they could just get in NM.

I don't think this is as bad as HM Crota by a Longshot though. That crap was straight up awful. Was ready to pack it in that night. So hopefully Luke and Co. take info away that they need and our expectations are tempered in the future. The raid IS fun though and groups can have a blast. But dangle better carrots. :)

PuMa

I honestly feel like dissenters spend much more time trying to paint you as a false prophet, than to have an actual discussion. I'm not sure why you even take the time anymore.
Um, dissenters? False prophet? So you're saying he's a real prophet? Hmm.

I just flat out disagree with most of his rants, and he does a lot of ranting. No offense to zoba. I'm sure he's a cool enough dude. I just prefer to be happy with this game I love and don't agree with all of the negativity.

The problem with making extremely powerful and all desired guns is that those become the de facto weapons of the game and there's no reason to use anything else. This is/was especially a problem when those select weapons were actually incredibly plentiful and very common, relative to the ecosystem now.

I'd rather have 10 different weapons that I use all once a week rather than 1 weapon I use all week.

Yes, I get the point of them existing as the ultimate "chase", but I prefer what we have now.

Why not have 10 different weapons to chase and pick what you want to use from that pool?

Ryuuga

Banned
Uh, ya, that's why I said I dont understand.

Oh okay no problem. People have these things called opinions, they might not align with yours, but that's fine. When it comes to subjectivity, there is no right or wrong and that's why we have these things called discussions.

I just prefer to be happy with this game I love and don't agree with all of the negativity.

There is nothing stopping you from being happy with how the game currently functions, but you have to understand that everyone has their own opinion on the current state of the game. From what I can tell, these "rants" are because most of us really care about the game, or at least what it used to be. It's okay to enjoy something, but still point out it's flaw, it won't make it a lesser experience for those involved. These discussions happen as a result of ways to improve something we're all here to play.

Tecnniqe

Banned
I'm overall just disappointed with KF HM. Felt like I was just doing NM for most of it up till Oryx.

I was kinda hoping they'd mix up some of the encounters with something new and not just artificially raise the level cap.

Seems like they just raised the cap.

Venfayth

Um, dissenters? False prophet? So you're saying he's a real prophet? Hmm.

I just flat out disagree with most of his rants, and he does a lot of ranting. No offense to zoba. I'm sure he's a cool enough dude. I just prefer to be happy with this game I love and don't agree with all of the negativity.

People can have constructive criticism for a game and still enjoy it. The fact that other people want things from the game to be better should make you excited, not depressed. Do you think the devs have soft skin?

No need to be a sarcastic jerk.

This thread sucks these last 24 hours.

Your posts read like satire because you don't elaborate at all. You say one sentence and then leave it for everyone else to extrapolate meaning. If you want people to take your posts more seriously, you should make some effort to explain more.

edit: still looking for anyone who wants to do nightfall or normal kings fall, 298 warlock :-]

PuMa

Oh okay no problem. People have these things called opinions, they might not align with yours, but that's fine. When it comes to subjectivity, there is no right or wrong and that's why we have these things called discussions.

Zocano

I keep saying it but all the game needs is an absurdly huge list of PvP/PvE perks. I don't think the weapons necessarily need to be super powerfuly but at least both unique *AND* competent.

That was the problem with Dreg's Promise and friends, they were unique and cool but why bother using them when they're just not very strong weapons.

It's fucking hell of a challenge, though, which is what I think most people forget. There's only so much you can do with shooty shooty bang bang before you everything starts feeling the same.

SkylineRKR

Yeah they should've been a Mythoclast. Though I got it on my first completion already (along with the helmet).

But not only the clast, the reason I kept on running VoG HM were Foil, Fatebringer, Timepiece.

I have about 3 KF weapons and I think they're shit, though the machine gun is good. But I dislike the looks of them. I don't care if I get them or not. Same goes for the armor, it looks like shit. I rather infuse it into my Neuro set.

ori0n378e

Anyone want to start up a VoG Hard Mode Raid for tonight. I have never done hard before and have only done Normal twice, both with Hawkian before TDB came out. The reason I am asking is I'm at the Atheon part of the NTTE Quest, and I've never done it.

I was thinking 8 pm EST for starting. I pretty much forgot most things and I don't even know what is different in HM.

If your interested, PM me...

Zocano

Why not have 10 different weapons to chase and pick what you want to use from that pool?

We kinda sorta almost have that now but the real answer is that that's hard to do. It's kind of a cop-out answer but honestly making 10 uniquely different shootbang weapons that are also all (roughly) equally competent and strong sounds like a fucking nightmare. edit: And I realize 10 is just an arbitrary number I initially picked but I would hope my point stands fine even then.

____

This is like the 1023019435th time I'll say this but holy god, if they want to keep implementing ricochet perks on unique weapons, then for the love of all fuck make the ricochet actually effective.

geordiemp

I'll just throw in my 2 motes.

The end game in The Taken King is missing three crucial things from year one - challenge, gear chase, and payoff.

[Gear Chase: We used to share checkpoints for weapon drops - that's how coveted weapons from Year One were. Take away their elements and they are still coveted because their base stats were really fucking good - absolutely too good, but that's why the content was replayed as much as it was. Vault of Glass in itself is fun, but it's not 12 months worth of replayability fun without the weapons that were part of it and the stories of obtaining them. Almost every weapon was worth getting from that Raid.

We are running the most difficult content over and over because we want the best guns in the game.

I agree that the Hallowed gun variants should be special, even if its not elemental primaries, give them optimal stats and perks, make them a bit more stable, give them more range.

For example, hand cannons are trash, give a 320 hand cannon for beating Oryx on hard quest that has best in class stability, range and excellent perks...then people would queue up for hard mode. Heck even a word of crota without void bun but no bloom and medium range would be fought over by all players.

The hard mode guns are just re-skins of normal, I understand the element argument, BUT they should be better than just a higher number.

The best gun in my vault should not be a god roll vendor weapon from RNG, thats just BORING and gives no incentive.

Bradach

I'm close to getting my touch of Malice. I think I'm at about 37 calcified fragments.

Is there any way to find out what ones I'm missing for a specific character rather than account wide?

phen0m24

As encouraging a dude as I typically am in game I rather enjoy the bottom of the Sine wave. When everyone is mad they either quit or start thinking about improvements. And this group, despite its bent toward anarchistic "This sucks! Burn it down! Bah humbug!" rantery will quickly do its part to help right the ship. Ideas offered, points and counterpoints, but we're still licking our wounds at the moment.

We're like Tom Edisons of the gaming world. "Well, that didn't work. That didn't work." until all is right with the Light. ;) :p

Damn guys. The amount of salt in this thread is getting pretty darn ridiculous. We just need to take it easy. It's getting like High School in here with all this bickering. We are mature individuals (some of us at least) so lets act like it and make this community shine like it used to.

phen0m24

Luke Smith is a poopy face :)

Nah that was his dog, remember? Poor diarrhea dog. :(

;)

I'm close to getting my touch of Malice. I think I'm at about 37 calcified fragments.

Is there any way to find out what ones I'm missing for a specific character rather than account wide?

Unfortunately not by character. You're kind of stuck with going over the list manually. Did you get the ones in the Regicide mission? I think there are 4 in that alone.

;)

Unfortunately not by character. You're kind of stuck with going over the list manually. Did you get the ones in the Regicide mission? I think there are 4 in that alone.

He did poop in a sock at some point though :p Anything is possible.

E92 M3

People will always gravitate towards the best like Hung Jury. It's sad that one our best legendaries is a vendor item.

Bradach

;)

Yeah, I went through a guide for all the patrol ones and the regicide mission. There are a couple of strikes that have them that I know I've gotten but I'm not sure about this character. Also the raid ones. Again I've definitely gotten them but with who?? Some CoO also.
Ah well, guess I'll just have to put the time in and do them again!
It'll be worth it for ToM I suppose

All arguments aside, the "live" team need to pull a rabbit out of there arse as the content just isn't there anymore add to that the clusterfuck that is Crucible and the games giving me less and less reasons to login everyday

Zocano

People will always gravitate towards the best like Hung Jury. It's sad that one our best legendaries is a vendor item.

At least it's an Omolon weapon

All arguments aside, the "live" team need to pull a rabbit out of there arse as the content just isn't there anymore add to that the clusterfuck that is Crucible and the games giving me less and less reasons to login everyday

Almost as if there is a limited amount of content and it's not meant to be played infinitely

or

The typical MMO content cycle

phen0m24

He did poop in a sock at some point though :p Anything is possible.

Oh gosh I thought I had stricken that from my memory so gross lol

Our crazy DGAF family will be fine in short order.

It makes me wonder if internal meetings at Bungie about the game/options in the game sound like DGAF. Cool that Luke was lurking even in our not-so-finest hours.

tizaffy

Neo Member
until they split pvp and pve perks i think there will not be any diversity in builds. There is such a dirth of interesting perks. I mean i was blown away when i saw the immobius perk because its actually half descent compared to what they normally trot out.

We need more class specific perks that synergise with abilitles. and they need to be on legendaries as they make up 80% of the load out.

The main issue with destiny was always the perks (or lack of) and it isnt massively different now. I made a post 2 months after vanilla release highlighting these issues.

Basic ideas such as Titan gloves that reflect damage back to nearby enemies (can build a proper tanky titan with force barrier exotics) .

Hunter helm that allows him to mesmerise enemies and make them fight for him for X seconds.

Just talking out aloud. but you kinda get my drift.

E92 M3

until they split pvp and pve perks i think there will not be any diversity in builds. There is such a dirth of interesting perks. I mean i was blown away when i saw the immobius perk because its actually half descent compared to what they normally trot out.

We need more class specific perks that synergise with abilitles. and they need to be on legendaries as they make up 80% of the load out.

The main issue with destiny was always the perks (or lack of) and it isnt massively different now. I made a post 2 months after vanilla release highlighting these issues.

Basic ideas such as Titan gloves that reflect damage back to nearby enemies (can build a proper tanky titan with force barrier exotics) .

Hunter helm that allows him to mesmerise enemies and make them fight for him for X seconds.

Just talking out aloud. but you kinda get my drift.

Once Bungie separates PVP and PVE, they can go wild with perks and weapon design.

We kinda sorta almost have that now but the real answer is that that's hard to do. It's kind of a cop-out answer but honestly making 10 uniquely different shootbang weapons that are also all (roughly) equally competent and strong sounds like a fucking nightmare. edit: And I realize 10 is just an arbitrary number I initially picked but I would hope my point stands fine even then..

I don't think it's a difficult concept.

Putting an element on all of the weapons dropping from the Raid would instantly make the Raid more rewarding. The weapons don't even have to increase their base stats - they just have to be mechanically unique (Cacoon is not unique enough to Raid weekly).

-Fatebringer without Firefly and Outlaw is a good Arc Hand Cannon; people still want it
-Fatebringer without Arc is a good Hand Cannon with Firefly and Outlaw; people still want it
-Fatebringer with both of those is better than anything else in the game - the problem that poses is obvious and understandable. Even after being nerfed, Fatebringer is still a good weapon worth chasing. So why should there ever only be one Fatebringer?

When people say "elemental primaries ruined the game", they're talking about, like, 5 weapons. There 3 times as many as that in the game, but most of them didn't compete with the top tier (sound familiar?).

The solution is not to remove that aspect of the game, but rather to knock back the outliers and then give them unique trade offs. For example, one potential route is to make the gun weaker against the elements it doesn't damage, and then now you have a weapon for a specific build. When that Void quest comes around, that player is going to use a Void Scout. When Arc comes around, Void Scout goes in the bin in favor of something else.

If Bungie wants elemental damage limited to Special and Heavy slots where their ammo is scarcer, that's a legitimate philosophy. But they can still drop Arcless Fatebringers in the primary slot to entice people into playing for a good weapon. If Bungie doesn't want people to use the best guns....well then they're designing the wrong game. Even among a pile of shit, people will go for the one that smells less, because feeling powerful is part of the game's fantasy and is why many players continue replaying content.

I had the Raid Hand Cannon drop last month and this was literally my reaction after using it.

jaguars-fan-gif.gif

phen0m24

Hey Trance, my son is home this weekend (rare) and he has never even done normal mode KF. His rep is pretty tight with Xplicitone and Navy Bean VE3TRO and Seth - any chance any of you Xbros would take a break from HM and grab him for some NM shenanigans?

Against All Odds-bros stand strong! :)

Need 3 for another hard run to from the beginning up til killing the sisters. Will only take an hour, 90 minutes max - just like the last two times we ran it

1 me
2 jinjo
3 bitofadrizzle

Add Mr-Stephen on PSN
Um.probably late to the party. But 307 titan

1 me
2 jinjo
3 bitofadrizzle

Add Mr-Stephen on PSN

I would be down if we start now while i still got time.

Ragona

1 me
2 jinjo
3 bitofadrizzle

Add Mr-Stephen on PSN

i would be up. Ragonster ~307 Warlock

Dave1988

Any well-rested Guardians want to tackle HM Oryx? Realistically people should be at least 309, preferably 310+. I've got the CP and a 311 Warlock if people are serious about taking him down.

I'd be interested in trying it. I've made it up to Oryx yesterday, but my fireteam just couldn't cut it (we were 305-308 at the time). I'm currently LL309 on my Warlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom