• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

E92 M3

I'm just always having a hard time to being able to get why people get just SO into games.
Like,I understand you all love the game but also hate it cause it does things you don't want and like the "endgame sucks" and stuff like that. And you all got these big ideas and advice and things Bungie should or should not do.

But at the end of the day it's just like,one game of thousands out there and you're not a dev,just a consumer. So all those ideas and discussions don't really lead anywhere cause you are not changing anything about the game.
Sure, we are in the unique position that we have Luke Smith posting here, so some of this might be seen and MAYBE taken into consideration but most of the things are laid out weeks if not months in advance.

I just go from game to game, whatever takes my fancy and if I don't like a game anymore or have seen it's content I move along and maybe come back later when new things are added. So I personally don't "get" endgame and all these huge posts and threads and all the time invested in them and arguments and such just kinda weird me out cause I just think "Ok,why not play something else and come back when you feel it's worth it again?"

Maybe I'm weird,no idea.

I have not played a game so much in years. Destiny has truly captivated most of us and we want Bungie to succeed. To do so, their choice need to resonate with the community, not go against us.

Simple example: nerfing strange coins (they already took away 27 that were guaranteed weekly) and they also nerfed weapon parts in the same breath.

These decision harm the game and that's why, we, lovers of Destiny, get so upset.

Yah, I did, read it very differently.

Gear checks will always be with us, and I really don't mind them.

I will always prefer a skill check, but Destiny is all about DPS. Wouldn't have cared so much if they did like with HoW where one can get a guaranteed max level piece a week.

Double RNG rolls can be soul crushing - especially for those unlucky.

CREMSteve

I'd still be interested in fighting HM Oryx if there's a group high enough to give it a shot. Shoot me a note if there's something going on. StrykerIsland

PuMa

I'm just always having a hard time to being able to get why people get just SO into games.
Like,I understand you all love the game but also hate it cause it does things you don't want and like the "endgame sucks" and stuff like that. And you all got these big ideas and advice and things Bungie should or should not do.

But at the end of the day it's just like,one game of thousands out there and you're not a dev,just a consumer. So all those ideas and discussions don't really lead anywhere cause you are not changing anything about the game.
Sure, we are in the unique position that we have Luke Smith posting here, so some of this might be seen and MAYBE taken into consideration but most of the things are laid out weeks if not months in advance.

I just go from game to game, whatever takes my fancy and if I don't like a game anymore or have seen it's content I move along and maybe come back later when new things are added. So I personally don't "get" endgame and all these huge posts and threads and all the time invested in them and arguments and such just kinda weird me out cause I just think "Ok,why not play something else and come back when you feel it's worth it again?"

Maybe I'm weird,no idea.

You and your refreshing sensibility! Now that's a train I can get on.

It's unfortunate the thread lately has been filled with negativity and people spouting opinions as facts. The lack of respect for other peoples opinions is also troubling. Oh well. See everyone in the next OT, I guess. Time for a break.

OK man. You're right, I'm wrong. Cheers.

Telling me it's "just my opinion" does not prove that i'm wrong.

If you think it is actually wrong, shatter my logic. Look at the reasons you disagree, and articulate them. Lay out every reason you think Destiny's End Game is superb right now, or otherwise not bothering you; back up those claims with points of reference. That's how a debate works.

If you aren't interested in that debate or don't think it is worth the effort, then that's great. But don't dismiss that with "that's your opinion".

No fucking shit it's my opinion.

giphy.gif

Ryuuga

Banned
Maybe I'm weird,no idea.

You're not, you just have a more passive approach to the games you play. It is however, not unusual for devs to look at community feedback and make changes based on that. Neither the devs or fans are always right, but an open line of communication makes for a better community. Ideas can be deliberated over the course of weeks and months and still have poor execution, so then that's where feedback comes in. If everyone took a passive approach, what kind of changes would someone with a fiery indignation expect upon coming back after months?

The lack of respect for other peoples opinions is also troubling. Oh well. See everyone in the next OT, I guess. Time for a break.

This is unfair. The whole reason I engaged you was because you said you didn't get people who shared Zoba's opinion. Others played on the fact that Zoba was a prophet and others were blinding worshipping him and his ideals. Now you want to talk about lack of respect? Girl bye

Klyka

Banned
You and your refreshing sensibility! Now that's a train I can get on.

It's unfortunate the thread lately has been filled with negativity and people spouting opinions as facts. The lack of respect for other peoples opinions is also troubling. Oh well. See everyone in the next OT, I guess. Time for a break.

I don't know if you are being sarcastic :(

I don't want to offend anyone or anything, i just don't "get" it.
I wish everyone just the best with the game!

People who think everything with the game is bad are wrong.
People who think nothing is bad with the game are wrong.

The game has tons of good stuff and some bad stuff.
Yes I would say that it has way more good things in it than bad things and I also believe that the endgame of it is okish. i was never an MMO endgame man and never will be, so for me it's not a big deal cause I just move on till next content drop.

The great thing about the endgame was that Bungie eventually us gave three good paths to the endgame; you could raid, you could do Iron Banner, or you could do Trials. What's eventually come to light as we've played TTK is that the raid is once again the only way to properly reach the endgame, and it's become more frustrating than before due to the RNG nature of the drops.

I can see the frustration. I share it. Personally, I don't have enough contiguous time to raid, so I use Iron Banner to play an hour or so at a time, and grind my way up there. I never played PvP, ever, before Destiny. It made me appreciate PvP in a way no game ever did before, despite the lag and other little annoyances.

And then they ruined it. At first I didn't think so; the new bounty system really did help to speed up progression. But the lack of drops, the Legendary marks to buy the stuff that wasn't dropping, and the fact that the gear was no better than legendary gear just stung. And then to add insult to injury, the drop system was bugged. "Sorry about that," Bungie says. Kind of a waste of time for me after that.

It's this entire one step forward, two steps back thing that frustrates, along with the feeling that Bungie forgets the lessons learned from year one. I'm sure Bungie will tweak thing back to an acceptable level, but for now, I agree that the endgame has been botched.

PuMa

Telling me it's "just my opinion" does not prove that i'm wrong.

If you think it is actually wrong, shatter my logic. Look at the reasons you disagree, and articulate them. Lay out every reason you think Destiny's End Game is superb right now, or otherwise not bothering you; back up those claims with points of reference. That's how a debate works.

If you aren't interested in that debate or don't think it is worth the effort, then that's great. But don't dismiss that with "that's your opinion".

No fucking shit it's my opinion.

giphy.gif

An how do I prove your opinion wrong? You're entitled to your opinion, just stop claiming that's its gospel and everyone needs to agree. Get off that high horse.

That's it for me! Good night everyone!

rezn0r

In VoG and CE I was chasing loot to make my whole Destiny experience better by using said loot in every area of the game. In KF I'm chasing numbers... why? Why am I chasing numbers? I'm certainly not chasing the raid's Scout Rifle or Rocket Launcher. I'm not chasing any of the weapons or armour because they do nothing for me in the entire game. Increasing my Light Level only benefits me when doing Oryx. Okay? Why am I doing Oryx in the first place? For the great loot? No? Then why should I care?

Really hate to admit it but you just nicely summed up feelings I had without even realizing I had them...

Not done with the game or anything like that, but very little motivation to try and quickly get 310+ on any character. I've only done the regular raid a few times on 1 of them so I'll continue chipping away, but yeah my backlog is starting to look good. Plus FO4 coming...

Maybe I'm weird,no idea.

You know you're on a video game forum, in a video game thread, for a particular video game with the inherent nature of encouraging its players to be invested in its various intricacies down to the aim assist of each weapon, right?

People are involved in the game and its future. This community would not be as big as it is if it was a cesspool of negativity, nor would it be this large if it was an echo chamber of "fun" and "enjoyment".

We entertain every aspect of the game with what is current. There is a time for praise, there is a time for analytics, there is a time for strategy, there is a time for criticism. All of that is an inherent part of the game.

But I see that this is going down the "don't like it, don't play it." route again so

giphy.gif

An how do I prove your opinion wrong? You're entitled to your opinion, just stop claiming that's its gospel and everyone needs to agree. Get off that high horse.

That's it for me! Good night everyone!

I am entitled to my experiences and my feelings. I am not entitled to having an opinion unless I understand what i am talking about. Therefore, if you think I'm blowing smoke, you can absolutely prove me wrong. I have been wrong about many things before - most recently, I was wrong about Bladedancers not taking skill because I was using my "feelings" as a basis for that opinion. And i flat out admitted it.

You know it's possible to have wrong opinions, right?

If you came up to me and said Thorn was a balanced weapon, I would show you the data and tell you that you don't understand the game. But you can absolutely do the opposite and show me why I am wrong about Thorn. These debates happen internally all the time. Maybe that isn't an interesting way to spend time for some people, but it's one way players are invested in the intricacies of the game.

You're not weird & there's nothing wrong with playing the way you do, but neither is there anything wrong with playing how we do. Which is spend time with the game, with friends, with GAFfers and enjoy the game and and enjoy discussing it's strengths and weaknesses.

Two things I want to say with regard to your bolded statement:
  1. It doesn't matter if we're developers or not, whether we work at Bungie or not, discussing the game's mechanics and design philosophies can be quite pleasant on its own. I really enjoy discussing raid encounters, both the glorious Templar Suite and the lackluster Crota fight. There's nothing wrong with that.
  2. Our discussions not leading anywhere is flat-out wrong. Bungie very clearly reads GAF and the Destiny subreddit with great devotion and takes us at our word. They may not implement our solutions, which is fine, but they listen when we say something is broken. I think we all agree that Taken King is much better than Vanilla, and while the community never touched a line of code, it was made possible because we, the community, helped Bungie figure out what Destiny was. What it's strengths and weaknesses are.
Swords in Vanilla were awesome, but one level, and the community loved them. So we got a whole expansion with swords, and then we got Exotic swords. We loved Exotic bounties, so we got more of them. The community hated being #Forever29, so Crota's loot changed. The community hated Re-xurbishing our already leveled exotics, so they changed that.

It is impossible to deny that the community has helped shaped Destiny in dramatic ways, both with things we loved and with things that were problems. (And that's awesome!)

Yes, the thread has been critical lately, but it's also been really interesting. So many people having thoughts about different parts of Destiny and their own unique experiences. I'm glad you and others post when some of us have criticisms. It's good to have lots of points of view.

Good post.

Namikaze1

Well, Oryx down on my Warlock. Got the HM bond and HM Scout.

Now I just need to do the raid from Totems up to Daughters on my Warlock.

KanameYuuki

We need a tshirt saying

"I beat Oryx Heroic and all I got was this lousy 300 T shirt"

Warlock best class for everything confirmed.

Maybe I'm weird,no idea.

You're not weird & there's nothing wrong with playing the way you do, but neither is there anything wrong with playing how we do. Which is spend time with the game, with friends, with GAFfers and enjoy the game and and enjoy discussing it's strengths and weaknesses.

Two things I want to say with regard to your bolded statement:
  1. It doesn't matter if we're developers or not, whether we work at Bungie or not, discussing the game's mechanics and design philosophies can be quite pleasant on its own. I really enjoy discussing raid encounters, both the glorious Templar Suite and the lackluster Crota fight. There's nothing wrong with that.
  2. Our discussions not leading anywhere is flat-out wrong. Bungie very clearly reads GAF and the Destiny subreddit with great devotion and takes us at our word. They may not implement our solutions, which is fine, but they listen when we say something is broken. I think we all agree that Taken King is much better than Vanilla, and while the community never touched a line of code, it was made possible because we, the community, helped Bungie figure out what Destiny was. What it's strengths and weaknesses are.
Swords in Vanilla were awesome, but one level, and the community loved them. So we got a whole expansion with swords, and then we got Exotic swords. We loved Exotic bounties, so we got more of them. The community hated being #Forever29, so Crota's loot changed. The community hated Re-xurbishing our already leveled exotics, so they changed that.

It is impossible to deny that the community has helped shaped Destiny in dramatic ways, both with things we loved and with things that were problems. (And that's awesome!)

Yes, the thread has been critical lately, but it's also been really interesting. So many people having thoughts about different parts of Destiny and their own unique experiences. I'm glad you and others post when some of us have criticisms. It's good to have lots of points of view.

coy

For those that didn't normal and just did hard, how were drops like?
Personally, it was alright. Didn't take down Oryx but got something from every boss. Wait no, got moldy shards or some other crap loot from Daughters. Only Golgoroth had double drop: NM gloves and HM chest (310 am cry). I'll probably continue not doing NM save for Oryx and gear up through HM.

For those that didn't normal and just did hard, how were drops like?

On my titan I got:

311 ghost shell from totems
314 machine gun from warpriest
Two chest pieces from golgoroth, one 308, the other 317
310 shotgun(hm version) from daughters

Not too bad I guess, the chest piece helped a lot.

EL CUCO

Last night our team of 305-310's got to Oryx with no issues.

As 310, Sniped an Ogre with Eirene RR4 and he didn't even flinch a little...Nope'd the heck out of their.

GG, Oryx.

Last night our team got to Oryx with no issues.

As 310, Sniped an Ogre with Eirene RR4 and he didn't even flinch a little...Nope'd the heck out of their.

GG, Oryx.

When i saw unstable doing his runs like 3-4 people focused on one ogre at a time to take them down. They went down in 2 seconds.

Looking for two more for HM raid. Looking to at least get to Oryx, and we will see if RNGesus has blessed us with enough drops and light to cross the artificial difficulty barrier.

1. Teasing_Pink (psn same as gaf)
2. Taistelumurmeli
3. Saveweyard
4. Namikaze

Hzoltan69

Looking for two more for HM raid. Looking to at least get to Oryx, and we will see if RNGesus has blessed us with enough drops and light to cross the artificial difficulty barrier.

2. Taistelumurmeli
3. Saveweyard
4. Namikaze

Hzoltan969

Arrrammis

The great thing about the endgame was that Bungie eventually us gave three good paths to the endgame; you could raid, you could do Iron Banner, or you could do Trials. What's eventually come to light as we've played TTK is that the raid is once again the only way to properly reach the endgame, and it's become more frustrating than before due to the RNG nature of the drops.

I can see the frustration. I share it. Personally, I don't have enough contiguous time to raid, so I use Iron Banner to play an hour or so at a time, and grind my way up there. I never played PvP, ever, before Destiny. It made me appreciate PvP in a way no game ever did before, despite the lag and other little annoyances.

And then they ruined it. At first I didn't think so; the new bounty system really did help to speed up progression. But the lack of drops, the Legendary marks to buy the stuff that wasn't dropping, and the fact that the gear was no better than legendary gear just stung. And then to add insult to injury, the drop system was bugged. "Sorry about that," Bungie says. Kind of a waste of time for me after that.

It's this entire one step forward, two steps back thing that frustrates, along with the feeling that Bungie forgets the lessons learned from year one. I'm sure Bungie will tweak thing back to an acceptable level, but for now, I agree that the endgame has been botched.

Personally, I think that IB gear should be bought at 300 light and could drop from matches at between 300-310 light(once they increase the drop rate), since it's essentially the normal mode raid of PvP. Trials of Osiris is the hard mode, so it should drop 310-320 gear. I really don't under why they're still crapping on PvP players, especially when the "competitive" mode have level advantages.

That said, the IB gear isn't totally bad. Nirwens mercy has become one of the best pulse rifles, the sidearm is my favorite that I've seen, and the warlock bond looks pretty cool. It really suck that it's all at a lower light level, but through infusion I've been able to get it up to a good level pretty easily. I'm not saying that the level isn't total BS (It still is BS), but everyone seems to get extremely angry.

Level isn't nearly as important as people believe, IMO. If you're 280, you can easily do every activity in the game besides the raid. If you're 260, you can easily do everything except for the raid and the nightfall. Maybe I just have a positive outlook because I haven't been able to play as much as I would like(Still have one char at 311 and 2 at 306), but I don't see the problems being as bad as people say. I didn't throw all of my armor and weapon parts into rep, so I still have several hundred of each. I rarely infuse my gear(only the stuff I raid and do IB/Trials with, so that's not a must have sink for me. The problems are definitely there, bu t at least for me they're not gamebreaking.

P.S. if you want to get more weapon parts,weapon that drop in PoE still have the old weapon parts drop values. You also get 2-5 strange coin for each run! PoE: for all your commodity farming needs.

coy

2. Taistelumurmeli
3. Saveweyard
4. Namikaze
I'd like in.

PSN: coyquettish

You take it as if I just say "git gud" and sit there and wait for the person figure out what they're doing wrong. If you've raided with me, you'll know I fucking yell out everything any time someone is fucking up, myself included.

But when someone is fucking up continuously and consistently, I'm not afraid to acknowledge when someone just fucking sucks at what they need to be doing and are unable to learn and get better.

I want to play with people who are on their game and are willing to learn when they fuck up.

I have never once denied my elitism and I embrace it. Trying to use it as an insult against me is hilarious to me. If I'm playing in a team-based environment that requires intense coordination, I expect people to all be there to execute perfectly.

There will always be learning moments in complex encounters. It comes with the territory. My issue is when we are clearly far past that point and people are still fucking up due to inattentiveness or what have you.
Yikes I hope I never have the displeasure of raiding with some of you. I do understand your point when you're doing something like a hard mode raid where there's no revives, but in general I think that attitude sucks and it'd really sour me on ever raiding at all if I had teammates like that.

Personally I know I'm not very good at all at the raid. It's not because I'm a complete scrub, it's because I haven't had the practice to learn all the roles or know where every jump is...and so on. There's just a lot to learn, and everyone learns at a different pace.

The same probably goes for 95% of anyone that sucks at the raid. They simply need more practice. So anyway I hope if you ever raid with a newb (please don't if you just can't find the patience for it) you're taking that into consideration.

After seeing that bit about their engine, It wouldn't surprise me if 99% of the problems with this game were "bugs".

Anyway, it's Halo 5 time for me. No hype like Halo hype.
Ill-Be-Back-Terminator.gif

I see no reason to do Hard Mode KF. Getting better gear(the same guns as normal mode with a paint job) just to make KF easier is not much of an incentive. KF raid gear is useless to me outside of the raid unlike VoG gear that was by far some of the best loot in the game. Getting to a higher number that is basically irrelevant for most other content is just not enough. I have enjoyed TTK overall so no major complaints for me, but yeah it's time to play something else for a while. Hopefully we hear some news on another expansion soon.

Deku Tree

After seeing that bit about their engine, It wouldn't surprise me if 99% of the problems with this game were "bugs".

Anyway, it's Halo 5 time for me. No hype like Halo hype.
Ill-Be-Back-Terminator.gif

I haven't ever felt any 343 Halo hype... I wonder what that feels like.

Another way to farm weapon parts is to grab 2 friends and kill omnigul at the base of her hill over and over and over. Its a little tougher with the nightstalker exploit nerf, but eminently doable - everyone has an exotic sword (solar is probably best), one nightstalker with the perk that stickies traps, and you nightstalker her and beat her up fast with swords, stormcaller/sunbreaker to clear adds. When she dies just get killed by any of the million mobs around and rinse and repeat.

Killing her for some reason activates and prolongs the vanguard heroic buff, so you get more engram drops. You get 2 blue drops from her every single kill. I did the kill loop on her for 2 hours last week and ended up with around 300 weapon parts and a couple hundred armor pieces, more than enough to last me the rest of Y2. Everyone in the team also got a grasp, although I prefer the IB pulse rifle.

She can also drop the pulse rifle grasp of malok which PVPers love, so it shouldn't be too hard finding some trial folks who want to run it.

Hard mode has had the weird side effect of killing my interest in destiny a lot. I enjoy the normal raid and have cleared it every week 3x in pugs since launch, but I don't have much confidence in really having fun in pugs since any death = wipe for most fights, and in all my pugs there were a lot of deaths in just normal mode on stuff like Warpriest, Golgo, and oryx but it was no big deal since plenty of time to recover. Plus the RNG of getting a drop and hoping for a good light level on top of that is meh. Oh well, I still love the PVP and will play a few hours a week for that.

Good timing though with Halo 5 next week and Fallout / Battlefront soon after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom