• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Can I get the 310 artifact from beating Oryx without completing the Touch of Malice quest? Don't wanna farm for more flakes for a second Malice.

Jinjo

One major difference between CE and TTK is the actual ability to get to the raid level. It may be a form of Forever 29, but at least you can get to 29.7 and be successful. Still better and everyone just needs to be patient

I've said it before and I'll say it again, people need to stop being so focused on that 320 number (as they did with 310). For normal mode 295-300 was more than enough to perfectly run all the content you wanted, just like 315-abouts will be now. Yeah you won't have "max" level right away but is that really something that needs to happen immediately? Just keep playing and it'll happen eventually.

Omg. Weapons parts nerf is killing this game for me.

Got a Jade Rabbit last night! Hooray! Dump some motes in it, go to unlock perks, and no weapon parts!

Got a 308 Fusion Rifle from the raid! Hooray! Go to infuse it into my Spindle! No weapon parts!

This is insane.

This right here is easily one of my biggest gripes with TTK. I Really appreciate Luke posting and participating in here, but it hurts to see him talk about loadout variety when we're gated by something as silly as weapon parts. I have probably 10 weapons that I'm dying to really put through the paces but can't cause I'm in a tight spot with weapon parts. Do I upgrade those weapons or use the parts to infuse more light into the staples like Hung Jury, 1k YS, Black Spindle to be ready to raid. Weapons parts should either be in crazy abundance or just not be a thing at all. Farming for hours to get 20 weapons parts is certainly not my idea of fun.

I have a PS4 Hard Mode Totem Checkpoint on my alt at 306.
Anyone want to do a quick run and see if they get a decent ghost shell? Have my 308 hunter for if we want to do the Warpriest.

Cruxist

What's the consensus on Hawksaw? Got one this morning with pretty good rolls, but I'm also low on weapon parts on my Xbox character so I have to be choosy.

Sorry about having to bail last night at the Daughters in HM; was just getting too tired to finish out the raid and was getting angry at myself. :/

Deku Tree

I'm not really feeling the need to grind any more 3oC or even to decrypt my exotic engrams right now. Having three characters at or above 310, having weapons that get me through the raid up to oryx no problem, and having no way to get weapons above 310 outside of the raid, then it really feels like it's kind of pointless to even decrypt my exotic engrams at my current power level. I don't even need them 310s for infusion purposes.

If there were some way to get 330 exotics from engrams that would be another story.

the210

Is anyone planning on running the Not Forged in Light mission. I'm stuck at this point because I've never done VOG. Someone was going to give me a checkpoint but I don't even know how one takes a checkpoint as I'm playing solo 95% of the time

Hunter is at totems, rest are at Oryx? Anyone want to raid?

I've got a 308 warlock at oryx, 308 hunter at warpriest, and a 306 titan at totems. Would like to start at totems for a ghost try and then move to my hunter at warpriest. I have a few hours free.

Dez_

Is anyone planning on running the Not Forged in Light mission. I'm stuck at this point because I've never done VOG. Someone was going to give me a checkpoint but I don't even know one takes a checkpoint as I'm playing solo 95% of the time
Is this the quest line for the "no time to explain" gun? I'd like to do that as well. I've done VoG once before, and I'd be find doing it fresh or checkpoint.

GorillaJu

I opened 4 chest engrams on hunter (highest light level) because I didnt realize that class opening the engram weights the chance of exotic being for that class. It used to be random for any class. 4 fucking Alpha Lupi

I used my last 19 coins to get one last engram for my wizard

if I get another fuckin Alpha Lupi.

I will murder this fucking cryptarch

the210

Is this the quest line for the "no time to explain" gun? I'd like to do that as well. I've done VoG once before, and I'd be find doing it fresh or checkpoint.

Yeah that's the one. I have stepped foot in the raid a couple of times was just trying to see if I could open the door solo and once I excepted an invite which turned out to be the boss but I didn't have a clue what to do and nobody was talking

Jabronium

I opened 4 chest engrams on hunter (highest light level) because I didnt realize that class opening the engram weights the chance of exotic being for that class. It used to be random for any class. 4 fucking Alpha Lupi

Ah, yeah. I still have half a dozen exotic chest engrams in my vault, waiting for more to be put in the engram pool and/or me to break 300 light. Getting 12 Alpha Lupi's (out of 12 engrams) was a harsh lesson to learn. Problem is, chest engrams are by far the most often dropped when I'm running 3oC.

Sorry about having to bail last night at the Daughters in HM; was just getting too tired to finish out the raid and was getting angry at myself. :/

That was a crazy run. I went to bed way too late. You were doing fine, I'm the one that scrubbed up the platforms on the third run when we just needed to get a sliver off the first daughter. We did get a replacement and eventually got it.

Nydius

I've been wanting to do this for some time and really don't mind if nobody reads this, but these are my thoughts on the TTK.

TTK has highly disappointed me as the first major DLC of Destiny. Here a few reasons why.

<snip>

tl;dr: The story was a total let down. The leveling system encourages a god awful grind. The raid was pretty bland and basically like all the others. The level design is mostly reused areas. The first phobos level was cool, but the rest were not. Bungie needs to step up their weapon and armor game by separating PvP and PvE. Needs more mini games like CoO and notorious enemies, world events on Patrol to bring life back there.

Flame shield up!

No need for a flame shield from me. I agree with ALL of these points. These have been long standing problems with the game and they waffle back and forth on how they deal with them. Frustrating is an understatement.

I think your first problem was expecting a story from Destiny.

Pray tell, what else should I have expected after reading the quote from the interview below?

August 2013, Bungie COO Pete Parsons:
We like to tell big stories and we want people to put the Destiny universe on the same shelf they put Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter or Star Wars; we've already seen they do that with Halo. We were extremely proud of what we achieved with Halo... I'm pretty convinced we are going to do it again with Destiny in a way that maybe even Halo never achieved before.

They spent the entire year leading up to release talking about the grand scope of the story, how they intended on being equal with or better than Halo, of the same scope as storied franchises but somehow I'm at fault for expecting a story outside of cut up Grimoire cards and hurried dialog?

Activision execs have continued to parrot the comparison between Destiny and LotR after the initial game's release and even as recently as a few months ago during a shareholder's presser.

Dez_

Yeah that's the one. I have stepped foot in the raid a couple of times was just trying to see if I could open the door solo and once I excepted an invite which turned out to be the boss but I didn't have a clue what to do and nobody was talking
Yeah, unless there's a way to glitch through areas, there's no way to do that solo. To give you an example, you need three people to stand in areas just to open the vault while preventing enemies from running in there.

I'm totally down to run VoG if there are any other takers looking to do it or work on the exotic quest line.

GorillaJu

No need for a flame shield from me. I agree with ALL of these points. These have been long standing problems with the game and they waffle back and forth on how they deal with them. Frustrating is an understatement.

Pray tell, what else should I have expected after reading the quote from the interview below?

They spent the entire year leading up to release talking about the grand scope of the story, how they intended on being equal with or better than Halo, of the same scope as storied franchises but somehow I'm at fault for expecting a story outside of cut up Grimoire cards and hurried dialog?

Activision execs have continued to parrot the comparison between Destiny and LotR after the initial game's release and even as recently as a few months ago during a shareholder's presser.

I wouldn't say your at fault for having expectations, just naive.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I just got a Skyburners Annex 310 when I wanted a 310 Graviton Forfeit. But with the Skyburners it says it can drop orbs on heavy kills. Are those orbs for other players or myself?

I believe it opens up after you finish The Taken War questline.

Thanks man. I did so many quests the past few weeks I've got all mixed up with what the rewards were.

Magwik

Banned
I just got a Skyburners Annex 310 when I wanted a 310 Graviton Forfeit. But with the Skyburners it says it can drop orbs on heavy kills. Are those orbs for other players or myself?

For other players.
But if you fill their supers quicker they'll drop more orbs for you ;P

MikeyMike

Thanks man. I did so many quests the past few weeks I've got all mixed up with what the rewards were.

Orbs dropped are always for others. Good helmet tho!

Deku Tree

0) I played every halo game hundreds of times and I never though very highly of any of their stories. I don't really get these rose colored glasses with which people keep talking about the Halo universe stories.
1) Bungie always over hypes. You should never believe it.
2) After Joe Staten quit which was known before Destiny launched you should have taken that 2013 quote with a huge grain of salt.
3) after the story in year 1 of Destiny you really had to be living under a rock to expect anything substantial out of the year 2 Destiny story.

SkylineRKR

This is normal because Alpha Lupi is the only hunter exotic chest piece in the game.

And I don't know how high your level is, but once you're past 300 you start to love dupes. Because they can drop at 310. I saved up all my chest pieces until I hit 300, decrypted them all and got a 310 Alpha Lupi, 310 Starfire I infused into my Neuroghast chest and rest was sadly 290 trash.

Nydius

I wouldn't say your at fault for having expectations, just naive.

Naive for having expectations based around what the developer themselves talked about, what the developer themselves presented in ViDocs during development? The very same developer responsible for one of the largest story driven FPS franchises in console gaming history?

Yeah, how terribly naive of me. /s

Edit:
0)]3) after the story in year 1 of Destiny you really had to be living under a rock to expect anything substantial out of the year 2 Destiny story.

Year 2 is shit because year 1 was shit, and year 1 was shittier than anything in the shittiest Halo. No, the story telling in Halo wasn't exactly fine literature but it followed the typical story telling design, created compelling, memorable characters and scenes, and drove the franchise forward without needing to bang on about some grand 10 year plan. Your logic here is, since the year 1 story was bad, we should be ok with year 2 story being marginally better or just as bad...

Keep in mind that I could be wrong on this one. I'm in the same boat in terms of so many quests they all start to blend together in my mind. But the symbol on the quest in the UI is the same used for The Taken War, so they could be connected.

GorillaJu

This is normal because Alpha Lupi is the only hunter exotic chest piece in the game.

And I don't know how high your level is, but once you're past 300 you start to love dupes. Because they can drop at 310. I saved up all my chest pieces until I hit 300, decrypted them all and got a 310 Alpha Lupi, 310 Starfire I infused into my Neuroghast chest and rest was sadly 290 trash.

I am 300 on my wizard because I borrowed some gear from my main to decrypt stuff.

Starfire sucks. I thought it was gonna be good. Fusion Grenade?! I dont even fucking use fusion grenades!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom