• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

BahamutPT

Another tip: jump onto the first platform ASAP once Oryx starts pulling back his hand. You can stay ahead of Ogre spawns and Oryx face blast if you get started fast.

This is also very important to the first platform holder, because the face blast will melt him if the runner takes too long to move on.

upmoted, doesn't look like it'll gain too much traction though.

Appreciated, sir.

Looks like I'm the 6th post from the top on the front page. :D

It kills me how many people don't know how to play Salvage to this day.

Well... it kills them, rather. >_>

HdwBpVX.jpg

Afrocious

Got my Titan up to 308 finally. Couldn't find any purple helmet to give her, so I bought Y2 Helm of Innermost Light. All I need now is Illuminated and my Titan will be worth two damns.

On another discussion, I don't see what the point of having random attack/defense stats ranging from 300-310 in NM and 310-320 in HM King's Fall. It would be less annoying if gear dropped at 310 in NM and 320 in HM. That way, I could look forward to whatever gear I got instead of hoping I get gear I need as well as gear that has better stats. It would also help with the whole vertical progression or whatever it was Luke was talking about considering the perks on gear have some randomness.

Removing a layer of RNG from raid gear would do wonders.

I sound like a broken record, but I'm genuinely curious why it's this way. The reasoning behind it would be to artificially instill life into the endgame, but I'd probably be being too negative.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Need to complete the last 2 bounties for gunsmith to get the Stillpiercer quest. Anyone know how many kills is required in the crucible for the hand cannon and rocket launcher?

Thanks for your patience and for staying up, V. Totally classy of you! At the beginning I was getting after Josh a bit. Realized I was being a bit of a jerk and just tried to encourage him each time thereafter. #parentgaf

He had fun though for sure. I really appreciate it! I told him he should talk to you about the Youtubes. Maybe learn a few things. :)

No probs man, it's all fun apart from the drops. ;[

Boy haven't worked on YouTube in nearly 2 years. Decided to leave due to family stuff and never got round to restarting. Should've started again when TTK came out.

This is also very important to the first platform holder, because the face blast will melt him if the runner takes too long to move on.

Yes! Good point. Also make sure you know which way the runner needs to go so you don't block his path. Jump up on the opposite side and wait for him to start the run before moving around your platform too much.

Need to complete the last 2 bounties for gunsmith to get the Stillpiercer quest. Anyone know how many kills is required in the crucible for the hand cannon and rocket launcher?

Rocket Launcher took 10 kills last time. Kinda rough considering how terrible it is.

Hand cannon gives ~5% progress for kills and assists iirc so you only need 20 total, maybe less. Only did that weapon once last time but it was done in a game and a half.

BahamutPT

Has anyone ever gotten an exotic engram drop from the weekly heroic strikes? I've yet to get one....maybe its another "bug".

The yellow mark on the Heroic Strikes is for the Cryptarch, not an Exotic Engram. The reward reads "Legendary Engram". You can however get an Exotic from using a 3oC on most bosses.

Deku Tree

Got my Titan up to 308 finally. Couldn't find any purple helmet to give her, so I bought Y2 Helm of Innermost Light. All I need now is Illuminated and my Titan will be worth two damns.

On another discussion, I don't see what the point of having random attack/defense stats ranging from 300-310 in NM and 310-320 in HM King's Fall. I sound like a broken record, but I'm genuinely curious why it's this way. The reasoning behind it would be to artificially instill life into the endgame, but I'd probably be being to negative.

Titan 313
Warlock 313
Hunter 312

I like that the new light system has progression from 310-311-312-...-319-320. And I like that the penalty between each light level is quite small. So there is no huge difference between level 29 and level 30 like in the VoG days.

I don't even mind the RNG drops between 310-320 etc.

But I really wish that the "smart loot" which Bungie told us was going to be part of progression of the RNG in the end game during their TTK Twitch Reveals was not just false advertising. It would have been a great system. They could have even slowed it down to make you progress slowly, that would have been OK with me.

But the fact that there is no "smart loot" and you can get zero HM drops after struggling for a long time, and that even when you do get drops they can be lower light level and/or they can have troll "sidearm reloader" perks is really rage inducing. It's just horrible. There is nothing good about it.

Bungie's mistake was trying to salvage the underlying principle of the VoG loot drops philosophy. They should have thrown it out completely, and not at all brought a "reimagined" version of it into year 2 IMO.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Rocket Launcher took 10 kills last time. Kinda rough considering how terrible it is.

Hand cannon gives ~5% progress for kills and assists iirc so you only need 20 total, maybe less. Only did that weapon once last time but it was done in a game and a half.

Nothing too painful then. I'll get the hand cannon one out the way then camp with the heavy lol. So annoying because I discarded 3 PVE test weapons last night for space in the raid. If I kept them I wouldn't need to do PVP.

Deku Tree

I like the part where I died standing right next to you inside the aura. What bullshit.

Clutch finish though. Also, your reaction reminded me of this, lol...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d5ZvzIOO6aU

People standing inside the Aura and dying anyway is the worst bug in the KF raid. Happened to two team mates that I was playing with yesterday. It must be lag though, I guess, which would mean that I think it's probably hard to fix.

lt519

Bungie's mistake was trying to salvage the underlying principle of the VoG loot drops philosophy. They should have thrown it out completely, and not at all brought a "reimagined" version of it into year 2 IMO.

While the HoW drops weren't great the whole system of rotating gear that you can buy with tokens from beating the "raid" was a fantastic idea. At least it is a guaranteed path through. Not sure why they abandoned that altogether. The elemental drops from Skolas were a poor percentage (about 20% for me), but at least you could buy the armor to get to the max level relatively quick (maximum 4 weeks). And even at that the gear had cool perks tailored to each enemies arena giving reason to want to collect more than one chest piece. Even a compromise would be fine, being able to buy one piece of 315 gear after each raid.

Titan 313
Warlock 313
Hunter 312

I like that the new light system has progression from 310-311-312-...-319-320. And I like that the penalty between each light level is quite small. So there is no huge difference between level 29 and level 30 like in the VoG days.

I don't even mind the RNG drops between 310-320 etc.

But I really wish that the "smart loot" which Bungie told us was going to be part of progression of the RNG in the end game during their TTK Twitch Reveals was not just false advertising. It would have been a great system. They could have even slowed it down to make you progress slowly, that would have been OK with me.

But the fact that there is no "smart loot" and you can get zero HM drops after struggling for a long time, and that even when you do get drops they can be lower light level and/or they can have troll "sidearm reloader" perks is really rage inducing. It's just horrible. There is nothing good about it.

Keep in mind the Smart Loot system they talked about in the past is literally the system in place for 3oC.

As in, you kill a boss, it drops nothing, you now have a hidden modifier that slightly increases your chances at a real drop. This modifier climbs every time you don't get a real piece of loot, and just get shards.

The moment you get a piece of loot, the modifier resets to zero, and you start all over.

That's their "Smart Loot" system. It has nothing to do with giving players the gear they haven't gotten yet, or higher light level stuff.

I think someone along the way we misinterpreted what this system was supposed to do, and we're holding it to a standard it never had.

But I really wish that the "smart loot" which Bungie told us was going to be part of progression of the RNG in the end game during their TTK Twitch Reveals was not just false advertising.

Do you remember more specifically which video this was and/or what part? I know there'd been a lot of smart loot comments until Luke posted shooting it down but I was trying to remember when the phrase or even the concept showed up from Bungie's side.

I remember something they said about Crota's End loot in one of the Game Informer TDB previews. And I remember something from TTK pre-release but not the actual source. Twitch stream and/or GInformer piece? Been curious to track it down.

Sad reality is that only ships/shaders/emblems from faction rewards packages have true smart loot: remember what you've gotten before and won't give you same stuff again.

Keep in mind the Smart Loot system they talked about in the past is literally the system in place for 3oC.

As in, you kill a boss, it drops nothing, you now have a hidden modifier that slightly increases your chances at a real drop. This modifier climbs every time you don't get a real piece of loot, and just get shards.

The moment you get a piece of loot, the modifier resets to zero, and you start all over.

That's their "Smart Loot" system. It has nothing to do with giving players the gear they haven't gotten yet, or higher light level stuff.

I think someone along the way we misinterpreted what this system was supposed to do, and we're holding it to a standard it never had.
Yeah if it took into account what I have, it would only give me special engrams until I got the %&$#& Telesto.

The one upside to less compelling content is you don't have to sweat missing stuff, or force yourself to do anything grindy because there's greatness at the end. Exotic sword quests were terrible but especially bad because the swords are so fun you want to unlock them. ToM is similar but replace fun with useful.

2 annoying Crucible gunsmith test weapons? Not gonna bother. Daily bounties? Pick 'em up when I have space, turn 'em in whenever they're done. Don't need Legendary Marks so not wasting time grinding out same ol' Dailies or Weeklies. Do a little PvP when friends are around, help with HM Oryx runs, stuff like that.

Always fun with friends, never fun as a job.

This post perfectly encapsulates where I'm at the with the game right now. Thank you.

Deku Tree

I think I remember (was it Noseworthy?) talking about a more specific system than that... not from people saying it on the internet but from watching the Twitch reveals. Could be wrong, it was a while ago.

Do you remember more specifically which video this was and/or what part? I know there'd been a lot of smart loot comments until Luke posted shooting it down but I was trying to remember when the phrase or even the concept showed up from Bungie's side.

I remember something they said about Crota's End loot in one of the Game Informer TDB previews. And I remember something from TTK pre-release but not the actual source. Twitch stream and/or GInformer piece? Been curious to track it down.

Sad reality is that only ships/shaders/emblems from faction rewards packages have true smart loot: remember what you've gotten before and won't give you same stuff again.

I wish I could remember a video and a time stamp. I also wish I had the time to go back and watch all of them again, to determine whether or not it's 100% accurate and to remember exactly what they said. I think it was in the first TTK twice reveal video though.

EDIT: I remember comments of the form "if you need a chest piece the game will notice that and be likely to give you one" and "the game will have a higher chance to give you an item at a power level that you need"... it sounds kind of like what the cryptarch does between levels 200-290... I had been under the impression that they said it would also apply to the Raid, but it was a while ago so I can't guarantee that what I remember is 100% accurate.

MikeyMike

I'm starting to think about applying the 2nd alternative strat for Oryx... had no problem with the "easy strat" last week but yesterday was painful... kept wiping for almost 2 hours because of small errors or bad luck.

My loot wasn't so great either... was able to get a 319 ghost (up from 317) but rest of the loot was meh.

The time to take a break is approaching... never played Halo and just received my copy so might give it a try this weekend.

I'm glad it's for the right reasons, like playing with awesome DGAFers and friends, not just grinding for terrible drops

I was laughing so hard when we were joking about "Australian wi-if hotspot in India" lag. Sometimes I get annoyed that our group is too critical and gets grumpy about dumb stuff (like starting Totems early or w/e) when it should just be about joking around. More light hearted while (ideally) still clearing content quickly.

Ive got a digital copy of the Gameinformer mag and it says this about loot

A new behind-the-scenes reward system pays attention to the gear and weapons you already have, and not only attempts to avoid giving the same reward multiple times, but targets you for new loot that will be valuable for progression.

From memory thats pretty much what was said at the Twitch reveal as well

I'm starting to think about applying the 2nd alternative strat for Oryx... had no problem with the "easy strat" last week but yesterday was painful... kept wiping for almost 2 hours because of small errors or bad luck.

My loot wasn't so great either... was able to get a 319 ghost (up from 317) but rest of the loot was meh.

The time to take a break is approaching... never played Halo and just received my copy so might give it a try this weekend.

Yeah, our group was having a lot of problems too. Weird lag seems to be running rampant in the raid, especially yesterday.

If the group has high enough light then doing it the semi-normal way (floaters killing ogres, relic platform people killing Knights) probably makes more sense and will result in less random deaths.

EL CUCO

I don't recall Bungie saying raids would have smart loot.
Well, during the Giant Bomb interview Luke was specifically asked why Brad kept getting a chest piece on his Titan. Luke's response was implying that, yes, you can get a repeated piece of gear, but the game is supposed to recognize what roll or LL you have on said gear, and give you something different.

That's about all I've heard in regards to "smart loot"

Strider

Luke was right. It's not really smart loot.

And I hope that by reading all the disappointment in the loot drop system the next dlc/game actually features the "smart loot" system we were expecting.

We were all hype for that supposed change for a reason...

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
So we have three for full raid from totems. Anybody else wants in? Bit is one of the funniest guys on the mic so it'll be entertaining.

1 me
2. bit
3 Rufus

4 Must
5 have
6 Horn

I was laughing so hard when we were joking about "Australian wi-if hotspot in India" lag. Sometimes I get annoyed that our group is too critical and gets grumpy about dumb stuff (like starting Totems early or w/e) when it should just be about joking around. More light hearted while (ideally) still clearing content quickly.

Which is what I had expected from our blind Kings Fall raid, it was great till golgoroth...then I think things went downhill from there...

I play this game for fun. I play every game for fun.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
The reason Bungie does loot this way and the better solution are both obvious.

The current system is in place (the double RNG, lack of guaranteed drops) to drag shit out. If there were guaranteed drops on every boss, and if those drops were guaranteed to be 315 and above, then people would be finished with HM raid very quickly and people would leave the game because there is, literally, nothing else to do besides PvP (which most don't like for various reasons). There are very few actual drops in the raid - only one helmet, one arm, one chest, one legs, etc. It's silly.

The better solution is really to provide guaranteed drops and just increase the number of possible drops. This should be new weapons, different perks (that actually make a difference - there are way too many useless perks), different styles, etc. The number of usable guns in this game is criminally low. There also should be unique ships and shaders from each boss. Look at how many people farm the strikes for strike-specific loot. Why on earth would bungie not do that for the raid? And why don't gear have set bonuses? I mean, come on Bungie, plz fix the loot.

I don't recall Bungie saying raids would have smart loot.

I'm pretty sure it was in an early interview relating to Crota's End and The Dark Below. Luke has even said that he's never said the words smart loot and that Bungie regrets ever saying anything about smart loot.

I think I remember (was it Noseworthy?) talking about a more specific system than that... not from people saying it on the internet but from watching the Twitch reveals. Could be wrong, it was a while ago.

I wish I could remember a video and a time stamp. I also wish I had the time to go back and watch all of them again, to determine whether or not it's 100% accurate and to remember exactly what they said. I think it was in the first TTK twice reveal video though.

EDIT: I remember comments of the form "if you need a chest piece the game will notice that and be likely to give you one" and "the game will have a higher chance to give you an item at a power level that you need"... it sounds kind of like what the cryptarch does between levels 200-290... I had been under the impression that they said it would also apply to the Raid, but it was a while ago so I can't guarantee that what I remember is 100% accurate.

Googling around people are heavily talking about destiny's smart loot system on Reddit a lot near December 15th. So whatever video it was should have been just before that area.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Ive got a digital copy of the Gameinformer mag and it says this about loot

A new behind-the-scenes reward system pays attention to the gear and weapons you already have, and not only attempts to avoid giving the same reward multiple times, but targets you for new loot that will be valuable for progression.

From memory thats pretty much what was said at the Twitch reveal as well

Yeah but "same reward" just means that you get a 311 raid shotgun instead of a 310 shotgun. Two totally different weapons!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom