• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: I remember comments of the form "if you need a chest piece the game will notice that and be likely to give you one" and "the game will have a higher chance to give you an item at a power level that you need"...

Yeah! That phrasing definitely jogged my memory. Might try to throw on that first Twitch reveal today while doing stuff around the house. See if I can't get the exact quote(s).

Personally I don't think they talked specifically about the raid but my memory is the implication was there. Essentially this was how Year 2 loot was supposed to work, seemed only natural to include raid loot. Once again highlights how well thought out the middle game is, sadly at expense of the end game.

Next run, you're getting booted!

Next run, he's getting rekt by the Echo again
Kappa.png

Kyoufu

Well, during the Giant Bomb interview Luke was specifically asked why Brad kept getting a chest piece on his Titan. Luke's response was implying that, yes, you can get a repeated piece of gear, but the game is supposed to recognize what roll or LL you have on said gear, and give you something different.

That's about all I've heard in regards to "smart loot"

And that's exactly what happens. You have a 301 Ghost Shell, the game gives you a 300. Something different!

LiK

So we have three for full raid from totems. Anybody else wants in? Bit is one of the funniest guys on the mic so it'll be entertaining.

1 me
2. bit
3 Rufus

4 Must
5 have
6 Horn

humor makes the raids so much more enjoyable. I will never delete people who made me laugh in the raids.

So we have three for full raid from totems. Anybody else wants in? Bit is one of the funniest guys on the mic so it'll be entertaining.

1 me
2. bit
3 Rufus

4 Must
5 have
6 Horn

Lol I'm not in...I'm busy with brothers wedding for the next 4 days. I said since you have the day off, take my account and play on my titan...maybe your rng luck will run off on me..

Well, during the Giant Bomb interview Luke was specifically asked why Brad kept getting a chest piece on his Titan. Luke's response was implying that, yes, you can get a repeated piece of gear, but the game is supposed to recognize what roll or LL you have on said gear, and give you something different.

That's about all I've heard in regards to "smart loot"

Hmm which GB interview was this? More recently than the E3 one last year I assume? That's the only one I've seen.

Googling around people are heavily talking about destiny's smart loot system on Reddit a lot near December 15th. So whatever video it was should have been just before that area.

Ive got a digital copy of the Gameinformer mag and it says this about loot

A new behind-the-scenes reward system pays attention to the gear and weapons you already have, and not only attempts to avoid giving the same reward multiple times, but targets you for new loot that will be valuable for progression.

From memory thats pretty much what was said at the Twitch reveal as well

Good info. Thanks for the tips!

I watched Josh and VE3TRO and Co. raid last night on XBone. And here was his first raid on Xbox, and he got

Shards
Shards
Shards
Shards
300?! chest
302 (I think)?! scout

We've all ranted about how the loot totally bites. But there's my kid, all fresh faced and actually kinda hyped to run it, (I know I fall on the "ready to quit" side of the fence more lately) and RNG gives him the bird.

When we're all at this simultaneously low point in the Sine wave, I see more "Why?" questions which I like. Maybe if I/we help people more and grind less it will be "fun" again. :) Helped a guy last night take down the Champions as he was like 243. That was cool.

Hoping to bang out a HM tonight and then maybe Destiny will be a game I play with friends but not the only game I play/second job. :)

I'm finally there. It's been almost a week since I've played Destiny. I had some time off from work, played a bunch of Minecraft with the kids, and all though I love playing Destiny with friends, they are all doing HM KF which I didn't find all that much fun. Maybe Trials will pull me back in, but right now all I'm thinking about is using the slimeball I got last night to make a hidden door to my secret cave. Gotta keep the kids from loosing all of my diamonds.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
3 times in row pick up heavy ammo and get supered straight after. God PVP can be a fucking pain sometimes.

phen0m24

I was laughing so hard when we were joking about "Australian wi-if hotspot in India" lag. Sometimes I get annoyed that our group is too critical and gets grumpy about dumb stuff (like starting Totems early or w/e) when it should just be about joking around. More light hearted while (ideally) still clearing content quickly.

humor makes the raids so much more enjoyable. I will never delete people who made me laugh in the raids.

But how do we know if we made you laugh? We never got to hear you speak. :(

Staying on Lik's friends list is the real challenge mode.

Ok so I will work on clearing content more quickly but I guess I know why I'm still on Lik's and others' FLs. ;) your night of floating Lik, you were cracking up. :) (I'm pretty sure that was you laughing hehe)

Namikaze1

Fuck this boss fight! Seriously fuck it! Taking a break from Halo. I'm stuck in a part right now due to shitty AI teammates.

Anyway, I have to just kill Oryx on my alts. Anyone wants to team up for HM Oyrx?

Kyne

3 times in row pick up heavy ammo and get supered straight after. God PVP can be a fucking pain sometimes.

c'mon man. learn from it.

sit back and use the heavy as bait while killing enemies approaching.

best case scenario is you get kills + heavy, worst case scenario is you get kills.

Fuck this boss fight! Seriously fuck it! Taking a break from Halo. I'm stuck in a part right now due to shitty AI teammates.

Anyway, I have to just kill Oryx on my alts. Anyone wants to team up for HM Oyrx?

If it's the boss fight they were talking about on the bombcast, then that fight sounds like the worst. Kadey has a group going, btw.

E92 M3

The reason Bungie does loot this way and the better solution are both obvious.

The current system is in place (the double RNG, lack of guaranteed drops) to drag shit out. If there were guaranteed drops on every boss, and if those drops were guaranteed to be 315 and above, then people would be finished with HM raid very quickly and people would leave the game because there is, literally, nothing else to do besides PvP (which most don't like for various reasons). There are very few actual drops in the raid - only one helmet, one arm, one chest, one legs, etc. It's silly.

The better solution is really to provide guaranteed drops and just increase the number of possible drops. This should be new weapons, different perks (that actually make a difference - there are way too many useless perks), different styles, etc. The number of usable guns in this game is criminally low. There also should be unique ships and shaders from each boss. Look at how many people farm the strikes for strike-specific loot. Why on earth would bungie not do that for the raid? And why don't gear have set bonuses? I mean, come on Bungie, plz fix the loot.

HoW had the best end-game and personally I play Destiny because it's a fun game. It is not fun to get zero shit from a boss fight. I get what you're saying, but Bungie should have made us chasing guns, not light level.

phen0m24

I'm finally there. It's been almost a week since I've played Destiny. I had some time off from work, played a bunch of Minecraft with the kids, and all though I love playing Destiny with friends, they are all doing HM KF which I didn't find all that much fun. Maybe Trials will pull me back in, but right now all I'm thinking about is using the slimeball I got last night to make a hidden door to my secret cave. Gotta keep the kids from loosing all of my diamonds.

Maybe we should play PvZ GW. :) I see Dan's kids playing that sometimes. Josh loves it too

Which is what I had expected from our blind Kings Fall raid, it was great till golgoroth...then I think things went downhill from there...

I play this game for fun. I play every game for fun.

Ehhhh blind raiding is different. That's the one place I think maximum serious mode is both appropriate and necessary. For some people like me that's fun, for lots of people it's not which is totally cool. Just have to make sure everyone has the same expectations going into those activities.

For reset raids it's all about joking and having a good time, without actually wasting a bunch of time. Z has to get to work, Jigga and Stabie have to sleep (or play Xbox), etc. Dont freak out if someone starts Totems, just grab the brand and get it going.

I ran NM as a 310 last night with a couple of RL friends and then LFGers to round out the group, all hovering in the high 290s. It was a colossal waste of time. I was hoping to get the helm, HMG, or sniper, the only 3 raid gear/weapons that elude me. I didn't get anything except dupes at the lowest light possible (300-302) and Oryx gave me 2 shards for my troubles (that is with using 20 moldering shards). Plus it took us over 2 hours because we had DPS issues at WP and Golgy.

I told my RL friends I wasn't going to be running NM anymore. I'm not even sure why I put myself through that.

One of the LFGers asked me "How did you get 315 boots?"

LiK

Ok so I will work on clearing content more quickly but I guess I know why I'm still on Lik's and others' FLs. ;) your night of floating Lik, you were cracking up. :) (I'm pretty sure that was you laughing hehe)

yea, I needed it. the past few weeks has been super shitty for me IRL. thanks bro.

Laughlin

Really surprised Bungie hasn't done more with Sparrows. A tricked out or completely different type of Sparrow would be something I'd actually buy.

Ehhhh blind raiding is different. That's the one place I think maximum serious mode is both appropriate and necessary. For some people like me that's fun, for lots of people it's not which is totally cool. Just have to make sure everyone has the same expectations going into those activities.

For reset raids it's all about joking and having a good time, without actually wasting a bunch of time. Z has to get to work, Jigga and Stabie have to sleep (or play Xbox), etc. Dont freak out if someone starts Totems, just grab the brand and get it going.

Yeah, I'm the same. I raid for loot and to hang out with my friends and dig at each other for the lols.

If I were to participate in a blind raid attempt, I would go into that with a different intention and know ahead of time that while attempts were serious, a joke between attempts would probably be a welcome stress relief.

Really surprised Bungie hasn't done more with Sparrows. A tricked out or completely different type of Sparrow would be something I'd actually buy.

Probably because Sparrows can be used in specific PvP maps, so they always have that balancing act going on in the background.

Kyoufu

PoE was/is boring. How could HoW end game be better?

Yeah, PoE was boring and tedious with its loot rewards being piss poor aside from Etheric Light, but VoG and CE were relevant back then and I had more fun doing those than KF, simply because the loot chase was far, far more satisfying.

After I got everything I needed for VoG I still did VoG because it was fun. I don't even have what I "need" from King's Fall yet I don't even want to run it ever again.

Truant

I'm kinda worried about the state of the content pipeline. We're only like a month after the biggest expansion ever, and I'm pretty much out of content. I only play with one character, and only for 3-4 hours a week. Don't tell me to play Crucible, because that's hella boring.

MORE QUESTS BUNGIE! GIVE US EUROPEAN DEAD ZONE!

I would like a Sparrow section in the next raid. Escape from an exploding building with your fireteam while Cabal chase you or something.

LTWood12

4 manning Atheon last night, holding the relic and watching T, Puma, & the other dude burn him down in a single Time's Vengeance was simultaneously hilarious, and also really sad to me.

LiK

I'm kinda worried about the state of the content pipeline. We're only like a month after the biggest expansion ever, and I'm pretty much out of content. I only play with one character, and only for 3-4 hours a week. Don't tell me to play Crucible, because that's hella boring.

MORE QUESTS BUNGIE! GIVE US EUROPEAN DEAD ZONE!

need more Strikes. I want more Strikes like Shield Bros. it's the only strike I enjoy now. more double team bosses in an open arena.

Kyoufu

need more Strikes. I want more Strikes like Shield Bros. it's the only strike I enjoy now. more double team bosses in an open arena.

Give me a raid boss like that.

Give me raid bosses with the freedom to move around in an open area.

zewone

HoW had the best end-game and personally I play Destiny because it's a fun game. It is not fun to get zero shit from a boss fight. I get what you're saying, but Bungie should have made us chasing guns, not light level.
HoW didn't have a raid and Skolas had a terrible drop rate..

Unless you're just referring to the guaranteed etheric light (didn't like that) and armor core?

Guaranteed armor core was a decent system.

BahamutPT

BTW, apparently lots of people don't know this:

If you're doing Hard Mode on Golgoroth and get the Unstable Light debuff, move away from your teammates but... KEEP SHOOTING Golgoroth until it blows up!
Even if you're outside the pool, the debuff grants you the same full damage as if you were inside the pool, so you can keep the DPS up.
Once the blast goes off, you'll of course need to get back to the pool to deal full damage again.

Basically the debuff is also a portable pool buff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom