• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthbob

Haha. Yup. I think it would encourage more average players to appreciate and enjoy competitive PvP. There's tons of people who dislike it, but having some success against people your own skill level is a great feeling. Just because it's not MLG v MLG doesn't mean it's not a sweaty match for that player.

Righto. I don't consider myself to be a very good PvPer so these types of events always feel exclusionary, Iron Banner notwithstanding (i solo the fuck outta IB) so I would like to ToO it up, but due to the very nature of that mode I simply cannot do it.

noomi

Good idea :)
Btw tonight i will decide which stuff i will use for trials and infuse it, will do some elimination warm up games as well.

Sweet!

Wife just told me she will be going out with her friends after work, so I can stay on to do whatever. Tonight is all about pvp and getting prepped for Trials, unless anyone needs help with the raids and then I'll gladly help with it.

See you in a few!

Weekly update next Thursday:

"We discovered a nasty bug that was matching 8-0 Trials teams with under leveled teams on a consistent basis. Our matchmaking team is looking into this issue and it should be cleared up by the next time Trials comes around. deej out."

cf3b459f.gif~c200

Seems a bit unfair a bunch of MLGs that have already done it are Final Boss for everyone that hasn't done it yet.

Tbh I think they've changed it to try and stop the carry for cash groups that pop up. Before you'd have to be unlucky not to make it, now its in no way a guarantee

stb

BAH! TRIALS SCHMRIALS!

Haha. I kind of always wished once you went to the Lighthouse you could not longer play Trials with the character. Thus, you would eventually get to a point where all skill levels would play all skill levels and have a chance to get to Mercury. The community would hate this idea, but it's just my own silly idea.

I think I suggested this in one of my various trials rants many moons ago, too. It seems like a good way to encourage even average PVP players to participate in endgame activities, and doesn't hurt anyone.

Sure, it'd let more rabble like me into the exclusive Mercury club but I don't think I could take anyone complaining about that aspect of it seriously; I'd lump that into the same pile as "Fuck Xur, I EARNED my [insert exotic here]!", just before setting it ablaze.

noomi

I'm actually really surprised that they didn't fix the hunter quiver bug yet, was hoping to use Nightstalker for trials.... guess not.

Righto. I don't consider myself to be a very good PvPer so these types of events always feel exclusionary, Iron Banner notwithstanding (i solo the fuck outta IB) so I would like to ToO it up, but due to the very nature of that mode I simply cannot do it.

Yup. Exactly.

BAH! TRIALS SCHMRIALS!

I think I suggested this in one of my various trials rants many moons ago, too. It seems like a good way to encourage even average PVP players to participate in endgame activities, and doesn't hurt anyone.

Sure, it'd let more rabble like me into the exclusive Mercury club but I don't think I could take anyone complaining about that aspect of it seriously; I'd lump that into the same pile as "Fuck Xur, I EARNED my [insert exotic here]!", just before setting it ablaze.

Haha. I think ALL rabble should be allowed to get to Mercury. Trials can be a lot of fun and despite many runs that have been crushed, still one of my favorite things to do in Destiny.

Laughlin

Can somebody give me a quick rundown of Trials? I only played vanilla then the TTK so I never got into it. I know your light level comes into factor? What else is to it?

Dreez

I don't think it would invalidate the raid, it would be better to have more ways to obtain high level gear than just the raid. That's my main gripe with this game is having the HM raid being the only place to get high level gear.

I wish they had at LEAST made new high levels of the previous end game content instead of trivializing it all. What a freakin' waste.

Same with excluding strikes from the vanguard playlists.

As someone who has made it to the lighthouse with my real life friends, getting that 9-0 does feel sweet. But I really think that the lighthouse should be just get 9 wins on a card with any amount of losses. The emblem could stay exclusive to the flawless kids. But 9 wins on one card is still really fun to go for.

zewone

Can somebody give me a quick rundown of Trials? I only played vanilla then the TTK so I never got into it. I know your light level comes into factor? What else is to it?

It's 3v3 elimination (not sure if you've played that gametype). Light level advantages are enabled.

It's usually one set map for the whole weekend.

The main goal is win 9 matches in a row without any losses (you can purchase buffs that help make this easier).

Once you get 9-0 you unlock a new area on Mercury called The Lighthouse where you and your team can go an open a chest with really great rewards. It used to be elemental primaries. Not sure what it will be this year.

Afrocious

Afro, not sure if you're reading this but I'll help you with Warpriest tonight. won't be home until after 8PM EST tho.

Cool beans. I should be home a lot earlier than I was last night, so I might get it done by the time I come back from the gym. But if not, I'll definitely appreciate your help.

Lothars

Really great idea removing elemental primaries from the game, Luke.

The loadouts are so diverse now.
Yup, It's the same thing I was saying before. It doesn't make a difference for diversity because people will gravitate to certain weapons anyway. I think it's a huge mistake on Bungies part and something I definitely see them correcting with future content.

It's 3v3 elimination (not sure if you've played that gametype). Light level advantages are enabled.

It's usually one set map for the whole weekend.

The main goal is win 9 matches in a row without any losses (you can purchase buffs that help make this easier).

Once you get 9-0 you unlock a new area on Mercury called The Lighthouse where you and your team can go an open a chest with really great rewards. It used to be elemental primaries. Not sure what it will be this year.

Emblem. Shader. Chance at an exotic. And all those sweet new Trials weapons with Last Resort!

ethomaz

Banned
What are the best guns to play Trials now?

I'm a bit divided between Sunsinger and Lord Sith but I guess I will end being a monster Sunsinger * best sub-class ever... easy mode for all *.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Yup, It's the same thing I was saying before. It doesn't make a difference for diversity because people will gravitate to certain weapons anyway. I think it's a huge mistake on Bungies part and something I definitely see them correcting with future content.

I dunno. I still think it's better than the alternative. It's nice that I have the option to develop a weapon I like and not feel like I'm handicapping myself by not defaulting to whatever primary I have that has an element.

zewone

What are the best guns to play Trials now?

I'm a bit divided between Sunsinger and Lord Sith but I guess I will end being a monster Sunsinger * best sub-class ever... easy mode for all *.

The best gun is your favorite pulse rifle (none of the other weapon types can compete) and Conspiracy Theory-D.

The best gun is your favorite pulse rifle (none of the other weapon types can compete) and Conspiracy Theory-D.

Yup. Maybe. MAYBE a good scout rifle, but that will depend on the map/player. I might start with Grasp and switch to Tlaloc. I'm going old school Sunsinger with my Titan bros.

I think if I cannibalized two of my characters I could be 315. As it stands I'm 312 and 313 after 1 full raid and 3 raids up to Oryx. My Warlock is 306 sitting with a 268 artifact lol. I may just run NM Oryx on that guy to get 4 more light levels from the 310 artifact.

I've done 2 complete HM raids last weekend and 1 up to Oryx this week, and cannibalizing drops would be pointless. I'd still be 312 on my main and lower than 311 on my alt. I keep getting the same items or same item type at around the same light level:

2x boots (316 and 314)
2x MG (316 and 315)
2x ghost (317 and 316)
1x RL (318)
1x bond (314)
1x sniper (312 lol)
1x scout rifle (311 lol)

Could be worse, but I wish there was more variety in the drops. And Golgoroth didn't give me any armor on this last run. Armor dropping only from Golgoroth (aside from Oryx) is a bit annoying.

EL CUCO

So I've never been a fan of Sidearms but this bad boy has made me into a believer. I was stopping shotgunners dead in their tracks last night. Dont think I'd take one to Trials before using it in some sweats first, though.

stb

Haha. I think ALL rabble should be allowed to get to Mercury. Trials can be a lot of fun and despite many runs that have been crushed, still one of my favorite things to do in Destiny.

I've only been to Mercury once, and that was on Unstable's back the first week; even then, it was thrilling.

It wouldn't be any LESS thrilling for the hardcore to do it on Friday with the other cool kids, or for the below-average-to-average to do it Monday night with the rest of the dregs.

I think it'd be a great tweak.

lt519

The big thing is to model this after Diablo III. Each class had multiple build options based on completely different sets of gear. Your special moves were magnified or complemented by gear, if you wanted to change your subclass special moves, a different piece of gear was optimal for that. What we have now is a single piece of gear (specifically weapons) is optimal for all subclasses. We saw in HoW they started to give attributes to gear (armor) that tied into subclasses and we saw that a bit more with TTK. I think their meetings with Blizzard are pointing them in the right direction.

The new gear that has bonus damage to enemy types already has me changing my loadout based on the mission I'm running. It is getting there, but it won't happen overnight.

jaaz

So I've never been a fan of Sidearms but this bad boy has made me into a believer. I was stopping shotgunners dead in their tracks last night. Dont think I'd take one to Trials before using it in some sweats first, though.

Really? I have like 2 of these. Going to have to try them out!

E92 M3

The big thing is to model this after Diablo III. Each class had multiple build options based on completely different sets of gear. Your special moves were magnified or complemented by gear, if you wanted to change your subclass special moves, a different piece of gear was optimal for that. What we have now is a single piece of gear (specifically weapons) is optimal for all subclasses. We saw in HoW they started to give attributes to gear (armor) that tied into subclasses and we saw that a bit more with TTK. I think their meetings with Blizzard are pointing them in the right direction.

The new gear that has bonus damage to enemy types already has me changing my loadout based on the mission I'm running. It is getting there, but it won't happen overnight.

We need a lot more storage for multiple builds. Right now my vaults are practically stuffed.

I need at least quadruple the vault space to last for the next year.

spyder_ur

I've only been to Mercury once, and that was on Unstable's back the first week; even then, it was thrilling.

It wouldn't be any LESS thrilling for the hardcore to do it on Friday with the other cool kids, or for the below-average-to-average to do it Monday night with the rest of the dregs.

I think it'd be a great tweak.

I'n not for stopping flawless teams from doing it anymore or anything, but I do agree that small tweaks around the edges would be nice to make it a bit more accessible (dirty word in some circles). I'd love for you and some of the other guys to be more willing to hop in with us sometimes. It sounds like matching flawless teams against each other is a good first step, and may at least help some of the middling teams be able to get to 5, 6, 7 wins to at least get the armor and weapons each week.

I've gotten some pretty good drops from hm raid looking back now. Titan is 314, nearly 315, hunter I believe can be 314, and warlock either 311 or 312 (haven't gotten the 310 artifact on him yet as I haven't bothered doing the story on him).

LTWood12

My ol' buddy T-44 is going on vacation for a week, so we're going to try and pack in at least TWO full HM runs (from Totems) tonight starting at around 9:15-9:30 Eastern. Trying to get these done in a somewhat reasonable amount of time, so the more experienced w/ HM strats, and higher light the better. BYOB

1. LT
2. T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom