• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ol' buddy T-44 is going on vacation for a week, so we're going to try and pack in at least TWO full HM runs (from Totems) tonight starting at around 9:15-9:30 Eastern. Trying to get these done in a somewhat reasonable amount of time, so the more experienced w/ HM strats, and higher light the better. BYOB

1. LT
2. T

I have an oryx clear to get through at 8pm eastern but we should knock it out quick so I'll be available. Enjoyed clearing oryx with you guys last week. And I only need 1 run but I'll stick around for a 2nd to help out unless someone else really needs a run.

spyder_ur

Really great idea removing elemental primaries from the game, Luke.

The loadouts are so diverse now.

Cmon, there's no question both PvP and PvE load outs are more diverse than what they were before. Hung Jury almost never leaves my hands in high level PvE, but I'm definitely alternating the special and heavy slots with stuff like Telesto, Chaperone/another shotgun, couple sniper rifles, HMG, launchers, and swords.

Afrocious

My ol' buddy T-44 is going on vacation for a week, so we're going to try and pack in at least TWO full HM runs (from Totems) tonight starting at around 9:15-9:30 Eastern. Trying to get these done in a somewhat reasonable amount of time, so the more experienced w/ HM strats, and higher light the better. BYOB

1. LT
2. T
3. Afro

Count me in.

LTWood12

1. LTWood12
2. T-44
3. Saveweyard
4. Afrodeeziak

I have an oryx clear to get through at 8pm eastern but we should knock it out quick so I'll be available. Enjoyed clearing oryx with you guys last week. And I only need 1 run but I'll stick around for a 2nd to help out unless someone else really needs a run.

Awesome!

LiK

1. LT
2. T

I can only do Warpriest and Golgo. 309 Titan.

ethomaz

Banned
The best gun is your favorite pulse rifle (none of the other weapon types can compete) and Conspiracy Theory-D.
Yeap my Conspiracy Theory-D perks are so good to be true.
I'm not sure about the primaries yet.
Rockets for heavy.

Edit - Any Legendary PS recommendation??? I don't know if I will use a Exotic like Red Death or No Time To Explain.

spyder_ur

Damn, would love to get in on this with you guys, but probably not around tonight.

Good luck with the 'quick' clears. I've spent 7+ hours on HM Oryx so far with no success. Maybe this weekend.

LTWood12

Count me in.

Glad to have one of the Flawless BOYZ aboard. Thanks dude.

I can only do Warpriest and Golgo. 309 Titan.

Lik come on man! Do it all for the fun!

Damn, would love to get in on this with you guys, but probably not around tonight.

Good luck with the 'quick' clears. I've spent 7+ hours on HM Oryx so far with no success. Maybe this weekend.

Do you have the checkpoint? I'm happy to help you get some ringers together to get you the clear some night. Just let me know.

stb

I'n not for stopping flawless teams from doing it anymore or anything, but I do agree that small tweaks around the edges would be nice to make it a bit more accessible (dirty word in some circles). I'd love for you and some of the other guys to be more willing to hop in with us sometimes. It sounds like matching flawless teams against each other is a good first step, and may at least help some of the middling teams be able to get to 5, 6, 7 wins to at least get the armor and weapons each week.

I think variations on the theme are possible, like if a team is made up of all Mercury-ed players, prioritize matchmaking with other Mercury teams. You'd think they'd LIKE this sort of thing, because it essentially creates a bracket of ostensibly-higher-skilled people you're more likely to play against.

All I want from Trials is it to not waste my time. I hate(d) it, because repeatedly getting 2-5 wins while getting absolutely steamrolled every other match was demoralizing AND wasted my time. I've got better stuff to do with my time than be a free win for a team's 5th trip to Mercury, like stare at the sun.

That said, I'll PROBABLY try Trials this weekend, just to see how the "matching groups with similar wins" thing pans out. Statistically, that should help more people get further along.

With the buffs, when our group played Trials together, we were getting ~5-ish wins sometimes, so I'm hopeful this will let us get into the 6-9 win area (excluding flawless) to at least get armor, weapons, or silver/gold packages.

LTWood12

1. LTWood12
2. T-44
3. Saveweyard
4. Afrodeeziak
5. xLikx

only if I hit 310+. I don't wanna get back to Oryx under 310 again. lol

309 is plenty dude. I'm not letting you leave until you get that sweet 311 only butt towel drop from Oryx.

neoism

I'm actually really surprised that they didn't fix the hunter quiver bug yet, was hoping to use Nightstalker for trials.... guess not.

increase it to 5 shots... and disable the options button when the nightstalker super is active...
quit shitting on hunters bungle... damn...

Afrocious

Surely some folks have certain dudes and dudettes they're gonna do trials with exclusively.

If there are folks searching for people, I'd like to join in. Destiny isn't Uncharted 2 or 3 so my carrying capacity isn't too good.

stb

Do you have the checkpoint? I'm happy to help you get some ringers together to get you the clear some night. Just let me know.

schwagger should have Oryx, and I've got Daughters. I'd super dig getting a clear this weekend if possible. I'm only 309, though, and have 0 experience with HM Oryx.

LiK

309 is plenty dude. I'm not letting you leave until you get that sweet 311 only butt towel drop from Oryx.

Hold on, I'll give RNGesus a call and tell him to give you all my drops.

Seriously though, I've been ridiculously lucky this week with raid drops.

yea, I hate being extra squishy for that Oryx fight. 311 would be nice. I have no issues with all the fights beforehand so it should be pretty smooth.

Afrocious

My Titan is 308 (that's the one I'd be raiding with in tonight's HM run). When we get to Oryx and I turn out to be too squishy, I can switch over to my 311/312 hunter. She needs the Oryx kill as well.

Really great idea removing elemental primaries from the game, Luke.

The loadouts are so diverse now.

Actually, having done the majority of my Crucible quest line post-IB as well as Shaxx weekly bounties that require getting kills with a variety of weapons, I've actually used more diverse loadouts week and a half to two week than I ever did in Y1.

Pulse Rifles are really strong. Like really really strong but not as dominant as AR's and then HC's were during Y1.

So I've never been a fan of Sidearms but this bad boy has made me into a believer. I was stopping shotgunners dead in their tracks last night. Dont think I'd take one to Trials before using it in some sweats first, though.

Yup. I found this out shortly before the first IB, so now I use the IB sidearm and it's a pretty solid counter to shotguns. I still lose to the longest range Shotties often but a good Sidearm hits hard enough, fast enough that you can rattle a shotgun user who is otherwise used to just steamrolling them when they see their health start melting away.

lt519

So real talk here, what's the optimal level for Oryx? I see a lot of people suggesting 310. Most LFG posts are 310+. But from my experience it's really the jump from 310 to 311 that makes the enemies normal color again and brings your survivability way up.

I know you can do it at 310. You can do it with 305s on your team with the Daughters strat. But what's the actual light level that gets you on a fairly even playing field with the typical add?

spyder_ur

Haha, oh yeah, I definitely have the checkpoint. It'll happen at some point and our crew made some progress last night but it's been pretty frustrating for me. I will say that 310/311 definitely felt a lot better than 308-309 and I was dying very rarely last night, but we couldn't put together a near run. Deaths being so punitive with such long cycles are something I don't really like.

T shouldn't be allowed to go on vacation. Slacker

neoism

Omg this random's gamer tag

RobertDowneySyndrome

tumblr_m5tvk1th2e1rqlfp9.gif

LTWood12

schwagger should have Oryx, and I've got Daughters. I'd super dig getting a clear this weekend if possible. I'm only 309, though, and have 0 experience with HM Oryx.

Definitely recommend watching Saveweyard's youtube vid of the alternate strategy. Don't have a link unfortunately. Just let me guys know what works for you. RL obligations are taking their toll on Destiny schedule, but I'd really like to help you guys out.

My Titan is 308 (that's the one I'd be raiding with in tonight's HM run). When we get to Oryx and I turn out to be too squishy, I can switch over to my 311/312 hunter. She needs the Oryx kill as well.

It'll be fine I'm sure.

So real talk here, what's the optimal level for Oryx? I see a lot of people suggesting 310. Most LFG posts are 310+. But from my experience it's really the jump from 310 to 311 that makes the enemies normal color again and brings your survivability way up.

I know you can do it at 310. You can do it with 305s on your team with the Daughters strat. But what's the actual light level that gets you on a fairly even playing field with the typical add?

Probably 311. Having a high light level weapon helps immensely though. My 318 Touch of Malice absolutely wrecks the ogres using the blessing+touch method.

Edit: To clarify, anything 305+ is viable, but you said optimal, and the switch from 310 to 311 seemed pretty significant to me. Probably just a psychological thing of not seeing red enemies anymore.

Dante316

Honestly even 309 is fine for Oryx with daughters platform stat. The key is communication. I think when we raided, our team was in a hurry to kill oryx and we kept screwing up. We shouldve just jumped down after staggering oryx and killed ogres and then killed ads and then ran to the bombs.

LiK

308 is fine but you just take more dmg and dish less. I beat Oryx as a 308 with another 308 and other people were 310+.

Cmon, there's no question both PvP and PvE load outs are more diverse than what they were before. Hung Jury almost never leaves my hands in high level PvE, but I'm definitely alternating the special and heavy slots with stuff like Telesto, Chaperone/another shotgun, couple sniper rifles, HMG, launchers, and swords.

PvP? You mean Pulse Rifle and Conspiracy City? Nah.

spyder_ur

Definitely recommend watching Saveweyard's youtube vid of the alternate strategy. Don't have a link unfortunately. Just let me guys know what works for you. RL obligations are taking their toll on Destiny schedule, but I'd really like to help you guys out.

Yeah, the strategy can obviously work. Couldn't even clear it with Save a few days ago. Trouble spots last night seem to be deaths getting to the platform including the relic holder, timing on bombs, and then the Shade, when we got to him.

The benefit of being a titan with the daughter's strat is that I can remain the floater and pop Blessing of Light provided orbs are readily available.

This was a big problem for us yesterday as I was the only Titan. As the floater I used my blessing for the ogres with Malice and that went well, but since I was the only Titan and it's not a big orb-generating fight (Hunter tether helps in the beginning, but you're not really in a spot to be grabbing those orbs later on in the fight when you need them) I didn't tend to have blessing for the Shade, which really hurt.

Here's our perfect Oryx run from last night. This is the kill ogres strat and I was the floater. Got it done on the second run. It's a great strat if everyone knows what they're doing.

Doing Trials this weekend?

Potentially. Not entirely keen on it though. Just hope my sniping doesn't shit the bed and it isn't a shit map.

Afrocious

This was a big problem for us yesterday as I was the only Titan. As the floater I used my blessing for the ogres with Malice and that went well, but since I was the only Titan and it's not a big orb-generating fight (Hunter tether helps in the beginning, but you're not really in a spot to be grabbing those orbs later on in the fight when you need them) I didn't tend to have blessing for the Shade, which really hurt.

For the shade, I swap over to my 1000-yard stare. I don't use ToM at all when teleported. I prefer there not to be bubbles in the shade arena either

It'll be fine I'm sure.

Depending on how high people's light levels are we can actually use a different strat (these things need names! Every group calls it something different and runs it slightly differently). It's basically like the normal strategy everyone was using in normal mode, except the 2 floaters put down a blessing of light bubble on the ground between the daughters platforms and use touch of malice to take down the ogres so that the others can focus on the light eating Knights. Results in way less random deaths than doing the killing the ogres after stunning oryx strat.

It was being discussed a few pages back I believe.

T-44

Neo Member
Haha, oh yeah, I definitely have the checkpoint. It'll happen at some point and our crew made some progress last night but it's been pretty frustrating for me. I will say that 310/311 definitely felt a lot better than 308-309 and I was dying very rarely last night, but we couldn't put together a near run. Deaths being so punitive with such long cycles are something I don't really like.

T shouldn't be allowed to go on vacation. Slacker
Ps4 might be coming with me but I'll have to sneak it in the luggage without the wife knowing

spyder_ur

PvP? You mean Pulse Rifle and Conspiracy City? Nah.

Yes, there is no way that there isn't more diversity than there was before. I use Jade Rabbit more than anything, personally. You still see snipers.

And snipers will rule Trials still, unless it's a very small map, which it actually probably will be since most of the new ones are like that.

It's possible that Trials will kind of thin out the popular options as people adapt to compete with what they're getting beaten by, but I don't think we'll ever get to the point that we were at with Thorn and TLW paired with either final round revive sniper or long range Felwinter's/Matador.

all this HM KF talk. eesh. :/

anyone still doing NM KF? need to run it multiple times in order to get to the LL required for HM.
anyone able to run it tonight a few times, around, say 11pm EDT? we could start from the totems to shorten the runs.
a couple/few experts who could help to hasten the runs would be much appreciated.

1. rasengan1337

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I must be one of six players playing skirmish right now on Xbox. I was in a match with a guy that refused to shoot his gun and would just stand near your body and not revive you.
So I left.
I have since attempted to join two more games and matchmaking has put be right back with him.
Both times.

Yes, there is no way that there isn't more diversity than there was before. I use Jade Rabbit more than anything, personally. You still see snipers.

And snipers will rule Trials still, unless it's a very small map, which it actually probably will be since most of the new ones are like that.

It's possible that Trials will kind of thin out the popular options as people adapt to compete with what they're getting beaten by, but I don't think we'll ever get to the point that we were at with Thorn and TLW paired with either final round revive sniper or long range Felwinter's/Matador.

Of course there are still snipers, but how is that any more diverse than Party Crasher/Matador and snipers? There were snipers before. A variety of them. I used a Shadow of Veils predominantly. Now I use 1000-Yard Stare which everyone has.

We are already at the point we were at with Thorn/TLW. Pulse rifles were actually a legitimate option before the hand cannon nerf and now they're the only option. If you're doing well with a scout, that's fine, but it's not like people didn't use weapons other than Thorn/TLW before. You'll probably never see a scout in sweaties, for example, because you'll get outdone by a pulse 90% of the time.

Kyne

it's no secret that PR rule the meta.

let's just hope that Bungie doesn't make the same mistake they did last year and wait half a year before doing anything about it.

handcannons need a slight buff
shotguns need a range nerf
snipers need a AA nerf

competitive pvp would be all the more better for it. C'mon Bungie.. I'm literally spelling it out for you.

LTWood12

1. LTWood12
2. T-44
3. Saveweyard
4. Afrodeeziak
5. xLikx

Posting for a new page. Who wants to be #6?

Of course there are still snipers, but how is that any more diverse than Party Crasher/Matador and snipers? There were snipers before. A variety of them. I used a Shadow of Veils predominantly. Now I use 1000-Yard Stare which everyone has.

We are already at the point we were at with Thorn/TLW. Pulse rifles were actually a legitimate option before the hand cannon nerf and now they're the only option. If you're doing well with a scout, that's fine, but it's not like people didn't use weapons other than Thorn/TLW before. You'll probably never see a scout in sweaties, for example, because you'll get outdone by a pulse 90% of the time.

I regularly see Scouts, Handguns, and AR's in Crucible. Starting to see more Sidearms as well. What will be used in Trials remains to be seen but there is far less a distance between Pulse/Sniper or Pulse/Shotgun and other loadouts than there was with TLW and Thorn and even AR's (Suros) before that.

it's no secret that PR rule the meta.

let's just hope that Bungie doesn't make the same mistake they did last year and wait half a year before doing anything about it.

handcannons need a slight buff
shotguns need a range nerf
snipers need a AA nerf

competitive pvp would be all the more better for it. C'mon Bungie.. I'm literally spelling it out for you.

We'll get a new (meaningless) event along the lines of the masks before theres a substantial weapon rebalancing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom