• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

zewone

Actually, having done the majority of my Crucible quest line post-IB as well as Shaxx weekly bounties that require getting kills with a variety of weapons, I've actually used more diverse loadouts week and a half to two week than I ever did in Y1.

Pulse Rifles are really strong. Like really really strong but not as dominant as AR's and then HC's were during Y1.
Cmon, there's no question both PvP and PvE load outs are more diverse than what they were before. Hung Jury almost never leaves my hands in high level PvE, but I'm definitely alternating the special and heavy slots with stuff like Telesto, Chaperone/another shotgun, couple sniper rifles, HMG, launchers, and swords.

Elemental primaries were never that strong for PVP anyways (besides The Messenger). So removing them doesn't change anything there.

PVE a majority (including you and myself) rung Hung Jury because it's an amazing roll and easily obtainable.

Removing elemental primaries did nothing to add diversity. People are still going to stick to a few primaries they love for PVE, elements or not.

Luke pls

IE6uYor.jpg

bP8y5ZE.gif

Sure, I've used a Sidearm a bit myself, but they're not suddenly better than they were before. People just assumed they were shit (myself included) and never used them. Only Hand Cannon I ever really see is Hawkmoon unless it's the Imprecation or Gunsmith bounty one.

Auto Rifles definitely perform better, but they're still pretty shit. Only one worth using is the Zhalo or maybe a good roll on a Gunsmith one. And even then, I still saw Auto Rifles before TTK when they were atrocious, so.

Scouts have a very small niche that pulse rifles slip into far too much.

But the difference is that Y1 balance was one that meant, even if you were a better player, if you didn't have that FOTM loadout, you were going to lose more fights than you won.

That's not the case currently. It's far from perfect. Pulse should probably have more spread, especially at longer distances, Shotguns need more range perks nerfed, HC's need a slight dmg buff without their range being touched, and Snipers absolutely need their aim assist nerfed (whether that be base or perks I'm not sure of). But there's far more room for player skill to outweigh a weapons natural strengths than there was in Y1.

Elemental primaries were never that strong for PVP anyways (besides The Messenger). So removing them doesn't change anything there.

PVE a majority (including you and myself) rung Hung Jury because it's an amazing roll and easily obtainable.

Removing elemental primaries did nothing to add diversity. People are still going to stick to a few primaries they love for PVE, elements or not.

I don't believe you really can have PvE diversity though. Not without having literally zero difference in any of the weapons. The nature of the player is to go with the most efficient build possible and even when there isn't a measurable power difference, they will go with whatever is easiest to use. So the only thing you can really aim for with regards to PvE is doing your best to make sure that certain weapon archetypes aren't inherently hindering player effectiveness.

My overall kills with TLW only just beats out my kills with the Suros Regime. I'd say I used a bigger variety of weapons in Y1. However, I will say that, in the beginning, most of that comes down to not being knowledgeable about what is best and what's not (I did use Suros because it was king though ngl). I also didn't start the game out with a Fatebringer unlike Hung Jury, which didn't take much time to get. Until I can get a Thread Upon Stars with full auto, I'm not interested.

I agree 100%. Diversity cannot be imposed on the players. The reason that everyone stuck with a few elemental primaries was coz with OR without elemental damage they were amazing guns. Fatebringer and VoC would have still been top-tier guns WITHOUT the burn.

It essentially boils down to a few VERY STRONG combinations of perks. I have a Cocytus Scout Rifle with near similar perks to Hung Jury, except that the former has lower stability and higher impact. It may not be the Hung Jury but for all intents and purposes, it is the Hung Jury for me.

Diversity can only be seen if Bungie creates MORE awesome perks that work well together in different combinations. Removing elemental primaries doesn't do shit for creating diverse loadouts.

Is there some kind of awful clan name generator everyone is using for this game? The clan names people come up with in this game are something else. It's either low brow crass shit or cringy nerd shit.

I'm not sure who I fear more, the "420 Balls of Crota" or the "Dark Warlords of Rasputin."

flkraven

If they build the game out around the fact that there aren't elemental primaries, what does it matter if we get them or not? In the TTK, I haven't ever really felt like elemental primaries were required. Not like in the PoE days anyways.

Need 3 people fore Normal Mode fresh Kings Fall.

1. Subtervotion
2. Friend
3. Friend

I've done Hard Mode twice, I've done NM many times. My friends have done NM once. Looking for people around 290+ because one of them is bringing in a ~283.

We are starting at around 1:30 EST, 20 minutes from now.

edit: PSN

Kyne

My overall kills with TLW only just beats out my kills with the Suros Regime. I'd say I used a bigger variety of weapons in Y1. However, I will say that, in the beginning, most of that comes down to not being knowledgeable about what is best and what's not (I did use Suros because it was king though ngl). I also didn't start the game out with a Fatebringer unlike Hung Jury, which didn't take much time to get. Until I can get a Thread Upon Stars with full auto, I'm not interested.

the Suros scout this week was pretty good stat wise compared to Threads. My two guns for comparison.

threads.png

Need 3 people fore Normal Mode fresh Kings Fall.

1. Subtervotion
2. Friend
3. Friend

I've done Hard Mode twice, I've done NM many times. My friends have done NM once. Looking for people around 290+ because one of them is bringing in a ~283.

We are starting at around 1:30 EST, 20 minutes from now.
I'm looking to run it at 11pm EDT. may i grab the totems CP from you when you get there?

rasengan1337

zewone

If they build the game out around the fact that there aren't elemental primaries, what does it matter if we get them or not? In the TTK, I haven't ever really felt like elemental primaries were required. Not like in the PoE days anyways.

Elements would have made the raid primaries worth using/keeping for NFs or other certain instances. (Even though NFs were made practically irrelevant, but that's another topic.)

Their rolls are so awful they're just infusion fodder. There are numerous legendary weapons obtained outside of the raid that put the weapons to shame. It would add a reason to continue playing HM.

E92 M3

If Bungie made all of their weapons exciting to use, then there would be natural diversity. People will always gravitate towards the best.

Jinjo

It's funny that whenever we're talking about Destiny PvP meta there is never a single soul that mentions fusion rifles.

It's kind of sad :(

Elements would have made the raid primaries worth using/keeping for NFs or other certain instances. (Even though NFs were made practically irrelevant, but that's another topic.)

Their rolls are so awful they're just infusion fodder. There are numerous legendary weapons obtained outside of the raid that put the weapons to shame. It would add a reason to continue playing HM.

I think that's the point of raid gear this time around, to be farmed for infusion into other gear. The rolls are mediocre and the design is generally ugly. I honestly think they did this on purpose so people would farm raids for infusion fodder.

I hope today's BWU is more than talking about Trials tomorrow and the hunter bug fixing and looking at sunbreakers still. And challenge mode is coming.

Afrocious

Like I said before: if Trials drops guaranteed 320 gear, then unless Bungie changes how people get Trials gear, it will piss off a lot of people.

If HM raid gear goes from 310-320, guaranteed 320 gear in trials would be a slap in the face.

flkraven

I don't think elemental primaries are the answer, since they'd have to balance future content around their existence. But I wholeheartedly agree, hard mode drops aren't good enough. They should have new, unique stuff that doesn't necessarily swing game balance as much.

If Trials gear doesn't give 320, then there will be a huge downfall in players. Especially since there probably isn't going to be Elemental Primaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom