• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gammacide

Anyone want to join me in the rocketyard real quick to kill Stirock? There's never anyone around for this Taken bastard. My PSN is V1ctIm.

Rubenov

Reading more and more seems Bungie went all out into making ToO harder at the later stages. It would suck if you need 3 really good players to reach the lighthouse consistently.

darthbob

Reading more and more seems Bungie went all out into making ToO harder at the later stages. It would suck if you need 3 really good players to reach the lighthouse consistently.

I'm kinda torn on this. In a way, ToO and the Lighthouse is like the ultimate endgame reward for PvP, and shouldn't the ultimate reward be attained through the ultimate challenge?

In another way, if you truly do need to excel at PvP consistently, then it excludes a large portion of the PvP playerbase, so... yeah. Like I said, I'm torn.

Deku Tree

Dat FIOS hype. Happy you're on board, Deku. And that's good. Are you on 75/75 or higher?

So 9-10ms of latency is good? (I'm really asking.)

Yeah so I was forced to go with 50/50 because my house is already wired and they wouldn't give me 100/100 (the next step up in my area) without running an ethernet cable to my router which would be ugly.

But I got disconnected from my Raid team three times last night... three short 1-2 minute periods when I got no internet... web pages didn't load either... that didn't happen so much with comcast... does that happen to you?

EDIT:

That's perfectly fine.

thx

noomi

It certainly seems like it'll be more challenging. I imagine carries will be much more difficult this time around.

Rubenov

I'm kinda torn on this. In a way, ToO and the Lighthouse is like the ultimate endgame reward for PvP, and shouldn't the ultimate reward be attained through the ultimate challenge?

In another way, if you truly do need to excel at PvP consistently, then it excludes a large portion of the PvP playerbase, so... yeah. Like I said, I'm torn.

Helping a lot of people get to the lighthouse was a very rewarding experience, one of the best gaming-wise. It's depressing to think that that may not be possible anymore. I honestly hope matchmaking goes "lol j/k" and goes back to being connection-based.

Deku Tree

I thought the hardcore PvP players felt like a lighthouse trip was too easy? Yeah it sounds like the new system will make carries a lot harder. They specifically mentioned that in the BWU yesterday.

Sounds like it will also make reaching 5 or so wins much easier, because not as high a chance of playing against the players and teams with more wins.

BTW, I wonder if you have a player with 1 win a player with 5 wins and a player with 8 wins on your team (for example) then how is the MM going to work? Will it match with the largest number of wins on any of the three players cards? Or does the MM default to the wins on the card of the fireteam leader?

I thought the hardcore PvP players felt like a lighthouse trip was too easy? Yeah it sounds like the new system will make carries a lot harder. They specifically mentioned that in the BWU yesterday.

Sounds like it will also make reaching 5 or so wins much easier, because not as high a chance of playing against the players and teams with more wins.

BTW, I wonder if you have a player with 1 win a player with 5 wins and a player with 8 wins on your team (for example) then how is the MM going to work? Will it match with the largest number of wins on any of the three players cards? Or does the MM default to the wins on the card of the fireteam leader?

Interesting point regarding if fireteam members had different win progress.

I suspect the match making system will just spaz out and throw you into a match with the most lag.

E92 M3

So 9-10ms of latency is good? (I'm really asking.)

Yeah so I was forced to go with 50/50 because my house is already wired and they wouldn't give me 100/100 (the next step up in my area) without running an ethernet cable to my router which would be ugly.

But I got disconnected from my Raid team three times last night... three short 1-2 minute periods when I got no internet... web pages didn't load either... that didn't happen so much with comcast... does that happen to you?

EDIT:

thx

Knock on wood, I have a 99% up time. And yes, that's very good.

Rubenov

But really good teams have to start somewhere. You may be facing MLG Pros on your first match, if it's their first match as well.

zewone

Bungie isn't very good at matchmaking. I wouldn't worry too much about their supposed changes. I'd wager the match ups will continue to be random as Hell.

But really good teams have to start somewhere. You may be facing MLG Pros on your first match, if it's their first match as well.

I know I keep moaning about it, but I think the change is awful for middle of the road players, you're entering a competition where the odds are gradually weighted against you until you hit an immovable object. Before with a combination of a good team and a bit of luck along the way you could make it.

Lighthouse players will still get there and people begging for carries will, those in the middle will be fucked, It could play out differently but I can't see it.

This exactly. Trials designer was clearly living in the salt mines because of carries.

I'm not a fan of the new loot system for these events either. It just feels like another mechanic to keep people playing for longer.

Happy Trials everybody. I can't wait to see how it shakes out. Rene and Puma, see you on tonight.

PuMa

This exactly. Trials designer was clearly living in the salt mines because of carries.

I'm not a fan of the new loot system for these events either. It just feels like another mechanic to keep people playing for longer.

Happy Trials everybody. I can't wait to see how it shakes out. Rene and Puma, see you on tonight.

My body is ready. I will be preparing myself with a trip to happy hour first this evening. So things are either going to be really fun or really painful.

EL CUCO

Excited for Trials tonight. The weather forecast is partly cloudy with a chance of Hammer showers.

With this new "competitive" MM system, I'm starting to feel that they should just lock out Mercury winning characters from entering Trials. Just to make it fair for players that haven't gotten there yet.

But I'm sure the Twitch community wouldn't want that, since they get a ton of donations for carries.

They already said in an interview that it will be the player with the highest wins.

Deku Tree

Excited for Trials tonight. The weather forecast is partly cloudy with a chance of Hammer showers.

With this new "competitive" system, I'm starting to feel that they should just lock out Mercury winning characters from entering Trials. Just to make it fair for players that haven't gotten there yet.

But I'm sure the Twitch community wouldn't want that, since they get a ton of donations for carries.

They should have post-Mercury MM where if anyone on your fireteam has been to Mercury with that toon this week, then they don't have to keep buying new cards, and they don't get additional end of match rewards, and the system always tries to match you against other post-Mercury players.

They already said in an interview that it will be the player with the highest wins.

LFG Trials. 3 or fewer wins only plz.

srsly though that's the only way to prevent cheesing the MM I guess.

Whoyouare

They should have post-Mercury MM where if anyone on your fireteam has been to Mercury with that toon this week, then they don't have to keep buying new cards, and they don't get additional end of match rewards, and the system always tries to match you against other post-Mercury players.

If that's the case I will have no problem finding a team! Lol!

Totally, but that might be too much to ask from Bungie.

spyder_ur

No worries. I play better with a few beers in me.

For me it's whiskey. I absolutely play better about halfway into my first glass.

That's a really interesting idea. Stopping people from doing Trials would be bull, but I can imagine some of the top-tier players would love a "Mercury bracket" or something similar rather than just grinding Trials runs.

We'll have to see this matchmaking in action to know how it works though. In practice it might have way less of an impact than is intended.

I just wish I had more confident in my loadouts. I think I'm using:

Sunsinger with Tlaloc and Nemesis
Gunslinger with Lupi and Jade Rabbit, Red Death or Nirmans
Sunbreaker with Lupi and Jade Rabbit, Red Death, or Nirmans

Alternating between 1000YS with Hidden Hand and Snapshot and a shotgun.

That would suck for the people that make it to the lighthouse but want to keep playing for better drops/rolls.

But judging by the last IB, end of match rewards will probably be broken anyway.

For those of you picking up the glorious Zhalo Supercell, to really let it stretch its legs, I recommend firing up Crota's End with a group of other Zhalo owners and just laugh your ass off as you stroll through the Abyss chaining lighting across thralls like a god. Soooooooo satisfying. They should just rename the Abyss, "Zhalo Testing Grounds."

With this new "competitive" MM system, I'm starting to feel that they should just lock out Mercury winning characters from entering Trials. Just to make it fair for players that haven't gotten there yet.

Agreed, but all the Twitch scrubs...I mean subs...will start crying 'cause they can't get carried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom