• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am confused how ToO gear can rival the LL of KF HM (Bungies own words) and not be above 320? Maybe "rival" was a poor choice of words on their part, but to me that reads that it will be able to drop gear with a LL > 320 which is the KF HM LL

Bungie being Bungie. I always thought "rival" meant just as good, or better. I took it as in the 311-320 range and could be better than what you got from HM.

zewone

You could get carried to Mercury Y1. I suck at PVP and never bothered, but I could have tried getting on a stabie train and easily reach Mercury with little to no effort on my part.
HM KF asks you to be at a respectable light level, and you have to carry your weight.

I stand by my point. :)

You can be carried in HM KF. You can beat Oryx with only 5 or 4 guardians.

MrDaravon

Yaaaaay, Xur finally selling the Y1 Special engram. All I was missing for Y1 weapons were 3 Specials (Queensbreaker, Lord of Wolves and 4th Horseman) and I got all 3 now (had to buy one extra engram to do it though). The Alchemist Raiment was one of the only two Y2 exotic armors I was missing (other than the class items) so doubly rad. Also nice that Xur is selling the Zhalo for everyone who doesn't have that.

Why is it a slap in the face? Getting flawless in Trials is harder than beating the hard raid.

giphy.gif

Rival doesn't mean higher though. It means it will be 310-320.

I think it's good to have another avenue of getting to 320, especially since HM drop rates are crap.

Agree, if that is the case. I would like to see both ToO and KF HM have good loot tables. Right now the raid is in a really bad spot for loot, so if ToO brings the 320 love much more directly than KF HM, that sucks. PvE already is dragged down by PvP balancing as it is.

We're currently on Warpriest, if you guys don't mind waiting I'm down to do it again right after we're done. It might take a while, so you're free to start without me, kaze.
aw shoot. didn't see this until now. we filled up, and took our time learning the mechanics. overall great learning experience. we got to Oryx and called it a night due to the lateness of the hour, but we're continuing tonight at 11pm EDT. we'll have 1 spot open due to Shiv not being able to join us. Having an experienced player would be great, if you are interested in joining us.

1. rasengan1337
2. kinezo
3. gibbshift
4. kaikken
5. angerd
6. ?Ghazi?

C'mon people.

So you just read the first google search def and stopped there?

Rival definition also includes out doing another, as in to be superior, not just equal. That is why it was a poor choice of words. If they just said, "equal to" it would mean just that. Rival can be used for both equaling or becoming superior to.

..equal or outdo another; competitor.

Shitty word choice on Bungies part. But what else is new. You guys are probably right that it will top off at 320. I just read it a different way yesterday and was like...wtf. We already have a new rat race!

PuMa

So you just read the first google search def and stopped there?

Rival definition also includes out doing another, as in to be superior, not just equal. That is why it was a poor choice of words. If they just said, "equal to" it would mean just that. Rival can be used for both equaling or becoming superior to.

That and my general knowledge of what the words means, yes. ToO gear won't be higher LL than HM KF.

spyder_ur

My final guesses at light levels:

-5 win package: 310
-End of match random drop's i.e. 'Blindsight' armor: random below 300
-Armor from packages: either set at 310 or 300-310 random
-Lighthouse reward drops: 310-320

Am I crazy or is it just common sense to assume they chose the meaning that meant the drops would be similar? Wtf would Bungie be smoking to give out 330 rewards in Trials and not KF?

Am I crazy or is it just common sense to assume they chose the meaning that meant the drops would be similar? Wtf would Bungie be smoking to give out 330 rewards in Trials and not KF?

They probably meant 320, but they were as clear as mud with their BWU wording. They used a word that can mean equal to or better for a metric we all give very precise fucks about.

Getting to Mercury in Y1 was harder than beating Skolas.

HM KF isn't even that difficult.

It was on farm status in less than a week.

I won't argue that Trials is hard, I personally could never have gotten to the lighthouse unless I was carried.
But Skolas was hard. Most people wouldn't even attempt it unless everyone could cheese it with all Gallys during the week when there was solar burn. Otherwise no one would touch Skolas.
And from jumping from raid group to raid group, most people despite being well leveled still have a hard time with the hm kf.
Seems that everyone gets stuck at war priest, daughters and Oryx. Shit, most won't even do Oryx. I personally only do hm Oryx on my warlock because I want the helmet. Other than that I don't bother. The shit drops make the time spent taking him down not worth it.

Even now I hesitate to join hm raids even if I do want to do them. It's a crapshoot whether I'll finish it in less than two hours or get stuck at daughters after 4 hours because we earlier got stuck on the war priest. The difficulty is all over the place for different people and technically I could ask/require stricter rules to join, but I'm not a fan of doing that. I hate the whole "must have ToM, be light level whatever and know the strategy."

Anywho, hm kf is not on farm status. It's just not.

I'm not a native English speaker but for me "rivals" means "equal to", certainly in the context of Guardians who have been defeating Oryx in King’s Fall Hard Mode, considering there are no 330 drops (yet). At least that's how I read it. 330 rewards for Trials would be ridiculous, even though I loved Trials.

lt519

Yeah dunno why this is even a thought haha

I'll just be interested if they limit the 310-320 gear to packages and the lighthouse or if it's just going to drop randomly after wins and you can get it as many times as you want.

Either way my guess is it'll be like IB where only a select few pieces of gear will drop per ToO. If not they'll have totally rendered HM KF irrelevant.

zewone

So you agree that getting carried to Mercury Y1 was as easy as getting carried through a raid, then? ^^

Yes. Getting carried in either requires the same amount of effort on the person being carried.

For the people who are doing the carrying, they'll have an easier time in the raid vs trials. ;)

They probably meant 320, but they were as clear as mud with their BWU wording. They used a word that can mean equal to or better for a metric we all give very precise fucks about.

I don't think you really understand what rival means. You're getting mad over something that isn't there.

flkraven

I beat HM Oryx last night. Got some decent drops along the way, but got jack shit from the big man himself. I feel like it will be a while before I get a 311+ primary weapon. It really sucks that the only source of 310-320 primary weapons is just Oryx HM. A few more should be peppered along the way.

Maybe I missed the outrage when the BWU was first posted, but I feel like it is pretty big slap in the face to not only have ToO provide a direct path to 320, ToO is going to be dropping possibly 330 gear and meanwhile the HM raid loot table is a pile of shit. If PvP wasn't so garbage in Destiny maybe I could stomach it, but doing things like IB and ToO are the worst "quest" in the game.

Wait, where did this info come from?

Cade

God dammit Bungie doesn't it seem like 4 of your fuckin boxes ($7 for those of you keeping score at home) is enough to give me your shitty skull mask? Jesus Christ. RNG for two-week availability cosmetic items.

I'm steamed

zewone

Should I get the vendor 1000 yard stare? Has somewhat useful pve perks and the Longview scope which is supposed to be comparable to Shortgaze

If you don't have a better 1000 yard, then yes. It's the best PVE sniper in the game and has ridiculous aim assist in PVP.

I don't think you really understand what rival means. You're getting mad over something that isn't there.

I don't think you know what rival means.

"to compete with in rivalry : strive to win from, equal, or outdo." (for those that don't know what outdo means, 'be more successful than.)

It literally can mean to equal or better. Which is exactly why I read it one way and other did the other way. It can mean two different things, which in this case can mean equal 320 or be higher than 320. Is this the first word you guys have come across that has more than one definition? You have to read all those usages when googling a word. The first one is not the sole usage. You want to have fun, google "literally" one definition of literally is literally the opposite of the definition of literally. I think I just do too many crossword puzzles and know lots of bullshit alternative usage of otherwise banal words.

Wait, where did this info come from?

Don't worry, just Bungie using a poor choice of words in BWU. 320 is likely the max.

My current loadout is:
  • Vendor Nirwen's Mercy
  • Red Death
  • Spare Change .25 with Headseeker/Hand-laid Stock/Glass Half Full
  • Quest 1000 yard Stare
With that in mind, are any of these guns worth keeping?, even for just normalized Crucible:

Pulses:
  • Lyudmilla-D with Army of One/CounterBalance/Injection Mold
  • Lyudmilla-D with Headseeker/Zen Moment/Hand-Laid Stock
  • Herja-D with with Army of One/CounterBalance/Injection Mold
  • Apple of Discord with Headseeker/Feeding Frenzy/Fitted Stock
  • SUROS PDX-45 with Hammer Forged/ Counterbalance/Rifled Barrel
  • Hawksaw with Fitted Stock/Outlaw/Single Point Sling
Autos:
  • Righteous VII with Hammer-Forged/Smallbore/Outlaw
  • Righteous VII with Perfect Balance/Injection Mold/Outlaw
  • Zarinaea-D with Partial Refund/Counterbalance/Rifled Barrell
Fusion Rifles:
  • Darkblade's Spite with Hidden Hand/ Injection Mold/ Hot Swap
Sniper Rifles:
  • Aoife Rua-D with Counterbalance/Zen Moment/(Quick Draw or Braced Frame)
  • Tamar-D with with Outlaw/Spray and Play/(Quick Draw or Injection Mold)
Would love to level up some of these and try them, but I don't have the weapon parts to spare.

Afrocious

why the hell would anyone assume bungie would have trials drop 330 gear based off their weekly update?

why the hell would trials drop 330 gear anyway?

that would be as bad as having a guaranteed 320 piece of gear obtainable from trials.

that would be a giant slap to the face for pve players.

it's already bad enough for pvp players to have modes that take levels into account - this was bungie's half-assed way to keep players from not using superior guns from older content.

also, why should gear drop at a guranteed 320 for trials? i disagree with that entirely for three reasons:

1) levels and light, in the end, don't matter at all in pvp unless bungie forces it for their half-assed reason i've stated above - to keep players from using older and superior guns.

2) trials is the equivalent of the current hm raid based on bungie's stance. considering level actually matters in pve, it makes no sense for players to get a huge leap in pve content by doing the most difficult pvp stuff for guaranteed 320 gear/chance at 330 gear.

3) there's a separation of concerns that's being adhered and when bullshit happens that mixes the two together, you get problems and frustrated players who get screwed over. furthermore, bungie already dug themselves in a hole by making level matter sometimes in pvp when pvp is a shit way to get light levels to begin with.

nobody cares if getting a flawless in trials is harder than hm kf. pvp is not pve and vice versa.

"to compete with in rivalry : strive to win from, equal, or outdo." (for those that don't know what outdo means, 'be more successful than.)

It literally can mean to equal or better. Which is exactly why I read it one way and other di the other. It can mean two different things, which in this case can mean equal 320 or be higher than 320. Is this the first word you guys have come across that has more than one definition? You have to read all those usages when googling a word. The first one is not the sole usage. You want to have fun, google "literally" the definition of literally is literally the opposite of the definition of literally. I think I just do too many crossword puzzles and no every bullshit usage of otherwise banal words.

Yes, it can mean two different things. I'm pretty sure everyone in here knows the two meanings. It's not like it's an uncommon word. The fact you thought it was that meaning and not the other is crazy to me.

I also know what literally means. I don't do loads of crosswords, but I do have an English degree.

PuMa

It literally can mean to equal or better. Which is exactly why I read it one way and other did the other way. It can mean two different things, which in this case can mean equal 320 or be higher than 320. Is this the first word you guys have come across that has more than one definition? You have to read all those usages when googling a word. The first one is not the sole usage. You want to have fun, google "literally" the definition of literally is literally the opposite of the definition of literally. I think I just do too many crossword puzzles and know lots of bullshit usage of otherwise banal words.

The context of their usage of the word alludes to them meaning "competing/equaling". That's the general meaning when used this way. As Fig mentioned, you're really stretching out of bounds here to get angry at something that we don't even know for a fact. In all likelihood, ToO gear will be same LL roll as HM KF.

zewone

the concept of "pve players" being slapped in the face if Trials gear is 320 doesn't make sense to me.

A "pve player" is someone who isn't good or doesn't play pvp, right?

So because you aren't good or don't play something, others shouldn't be rewarded because they do?

And arguing that LL doesn't matter in PVP so they shouldn't get high light gear is absurd. There's no such thing as a "pvp player". There is 0 people who play PVP and only PVP and compete at a high level. You need to play PVE to earn weapons and armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom