• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthbob

Do we have any confirmation on what the Silver packages have? Because Drizz & Unstable were saying they only got blue engrams.

Check out the Trials Ghost shell:
CSliTTgW4AAzeNS.jpg

Also, Drizz & Unstable are talking about their controllers dying. Is that what's happening to my DS4 when I keep dropping out of sprint? Like I'll start sprinting then immediately stop, start and then 2 seconds later, I'm out of it again. This wasn' an issue pre TTK, but I have put a bunch of hours into the game since then.

Heh, so they finally decided to use that ghost shell model for something.

About damn time.

Is that ghost an end of the match loot drop or mercury? I want that thing. I was hoping for an IB ghost just to mix things up. Sick of my taken ghost.

ocean

Banned
Good to have you back, Ocean, and thanks for the long write ups, great reads.

It's been interesting taking in all the differing opinions about TTK's new systems and endgame structure. For everyone who finds it improved, someone thinks it's awful and we need to go back to the HoW island. I think a big part of it comes down to how and what people play in Destiny, but I do think there's an underlying set of different expectations about the new leveling systems.

This is probably the biggest point of contention I've seen so far:

I was smiling as I read this section, because you (and lots of others) hate is what I think of as one of the best changes to Destiny with TTK.

For the first time in Destiny, we can be over-leveled for peak endgame activities. Pre HM KF, the theoretical max light was 310, but the highest level enemies in any activity was 300. The new loot system aligns engram and weapon drops to cluster around our current light level, sometimes lower but often higher to nudge us forever upward. The progress slows near 300, but it's designed so we don't require a max light level gear to run max light level activities on an even playing field. Fyre described this as a "crumple zone" for the RNG systems and I think that description is apt.

My goal is to hit 300 light, not 310, because that's how I think the system was designed. It's not communicated though, and we're all hardwired to want the bigger number. I had a fascinating exchange with someone on the Gaming forum a week or two ago about this when on this same subject. When I explained that you don't need 310 light in KF, just 300, to be a parity, the response was, well yea. But 310 is bigger! It was like that scene from Spinal Tap where there's a debate about the benefit of speakers that go to 11.

At any rate, because my goal is to hit 300 light, I'm a happy camper as I inch toward it because I do so in lots of different ways. Which brings us to the next topic, which I'll start with something you also said above:

This is interesting and revealing of how people play Destiny differently, and highlights issues with HoW vs. TTK because this is so not a true statement for me, and I played the living hell out of the House of Wolves. I began TTK with two spare Etheric Light in my vault, and there were only there because I stopped infusing gear and set Destiny aside for a few weeks pre-TTK.

With House of Wolves, the progression path narrowed dramatically for a non-PvP player like me, and it ran primarily through the Prison of Elders. Aside from the random (and frustratingly rare) Nightfall drop, I could only progress to 34 through a throttled number of challenge modes each week, for Etheric Light drops. I never did get all of my gear to 34 - not even all my favorite gear. The HoW era was one of perpetual frustration for me as I got my gear up to speed over the course of months.

Last night, I improved four pieces of gear on my level 293 Hunter through engrams dropped in the daily story mission and running patrols of all things. I can progress to higher light by running story missions, patrols, the strike playlist, Nightfalls, the heroic strikes, the daily crucible game (which I do play now) and of course, the Raid (where we can finally earn XP, do bounties, and get engram drops).

To me, this is a near-miraculous improvement over House of Wolves because suddenly all of Destiny is relevant to me when I'm high level. This is what I wanted through all of year 1. (Patrols are fun now, and the patrols on the Dreadnaught are a big part of my endgame activities - lots of XP, relevant engram drops, glimmer and the weekly events on the ship).

To me, the endgame has expanded dramatically to include literally every activity in the game. (I'm not in the peak of Trials and HM KF gear.) This is what I wanted from TTK and I'm so glad Bungie pulled it off. I'm playing much more variety now and still progressing than I ever did in year 1.

At any rate, I won't go point by point as those were the two biggest areas where I disagree with TTK. I totally understand your perspective, just wanted to offer my thoughts on those subjects since they're very things I really enjoy about TTK.

Welcome back!
Fantastic feedback!

To be fair, I recognize perhaps I have a skewed view of the upgrade situation in HoW. I ran PoE 34+35 fairly often and ran quite a few Trials cards - rarely to Lighthouse, but enough to get so much Etheric I literally had nothing to do with it by the end.

I think you're absolutely right that for everything one person loves, one other person will hate. I think it's because, despite people saying there's nothing to do in the game, it's clearly a different thing for different people.

I played PvE strictly on Tuesdays - reset NF/ Raid. That was it. Rest of the week was PvP and re rolling my stuff to get a perfect loadout and have fun with it. I loved it. But I can totally see how someone who plays the game for Strikes was bored out of his mind and is super happy now with the new / remixed stuff.

I hope nobody read my post as me shitting on TTK. It's absolutely a fantastic expansion of the Destiny vision and has some amazing content. It's just I got used to and fell in love with another Destiny, one which I can barely recognize.

I think the initial weeks of TTK were vanilla-levels of discovery and hype. But at the endgame? I just feel like the stuff I liked is all somehow a little worse, in my game scenario.

I love being able to agree and disagree with (most) folks here. Reddit was gonna give me cancer.

Mupod

They were using Eirene US probably the OHK from LiTC

if you can picture a guardian literally walking around using that sniper rifle as a crutch, that's how I predict I will end up being in trials

(I've infused all my raid drops into it because I love it for PVE so it's basically all I got for that slot)

Navy Bean

The benefit of being painfully average at PvP is that every Trials match was already sweaty for me lol. It also doesn't stress me out like a lot of people so I just really enjoy it win or lose.

ocean

Banned
Ocean, did you really dismantled a Fate Loop??
Won't admit I regret that one a bit. But this game has made me rage extremely hard a few times. Namely:
1. That Iron Banner lag spectacle a year ago which made me delete the game
2. That Fatebringer roll Imago incident. I really regret dismantling that :p
3. That Salvage match last week where I was carrying the 2 worst players in the entire game (worse than me even) and winning by like 300 points. Last 20 seconds. This guy is capping a point. I shoot him. Takes no damage. Disappears. Salvage point captured, I lose the match. I turned the game off and ordered an Xbox Halo 5 bundle off Amazon. The kicker: I sent it to my real home (which I won't be back to for 2 more months until I'm done with studies here in France). Most expensive rage ever :p

LiK

The benefit of being painfully average at PvP is that every Trials match was already sweaty for me lol. It also doesn't stress me out like a lot of people so I just really enjoy it win or lose.

yep, just have fun. when you try too hard to win, it becomes a shitty experience. I had the most fun playing with Todd and Nami. we went to Mercury eventually.

yep, just have fun. when you try too hard to win, it becomes a shitty experience. I had the most fun playing with Todd and Nami. we went to Mercury eventually.

I have to be in that mindset for any PvP activity. Just going in to shoot some people in the face and hope for the best. I got way in to the first ever IB event in Y1 and it wasn't worth stressing out over. Then I teamed up with some RL friends, and even though they hate PvP and we were all pretty trash at it, it was super fun to run IB with them.

Apparently someone got a 320 exotic gauntlets from one of the Trials bounties.
Damn! You know if it was the silver or gold tier? If there are chances at 320 exotics from the silver bounties, then that is my weekly goal in ToO, just to roll them.

flkraven

Good to have you back, Ocean, and thanks for the long write ups, great reads.

It's been interesting taking in all the differing opinions about TTK's new systems and endgame structure. For everyone who finds it improved, someone thinks it's awful and we need to go back to the HoW island. I think a big part of it comes down to how and what people play in Destiny, but I do think there's an underlying set of different expectations about the new leveling systems.

This is probably the biggest point of contention I've seen so far:

I was smiling as I read this section, because you (and lots of others) hate is what I think of as one of the best changes to Destiny with TTK.

For the first time in Destiny, we can be over-leveled for peak endgame activities. Pre HM KF, the theoretical max light was 310, but the highest level enemies in any activity was 300. The new loot system aligns engram and weapon drops to cluster around our current light level, sometimes lower but often higher to nudge us forever upward. The progress slows near 300, but it's designed so we don't require a max light level gear to run max light level activities on an even playing field. Fyre described this as a "crumple zone" for the RNG systems and I think that description is apt.

My goal is to hit 300 light, not 310, because that's how I think the system was designed. It's not communicated though, and we're all hardwired to want the bigger number. I had a fascinating exchange with someone on the Gaming forum a week or two ago about this when on this same subject. When I explained that you don't need 310 light in KF, just 300, to be a parity, the response was, well yea. But 310 is bigger! It was like that scene from Spinal Tap where there's a debate about the benefit of speakers that go to 11.

At any rate, because my goal is to hit 300 light, I'm a happy camper as I inch toward it because I do so in lots of different ways. Which brings us to the next topic, which I'll start with something you also said above:

This is interesting and revealing of how people play Destiny differently, and highlights issues with HoW vs. TTK because this is so not a true statement for me, and I played the living hell out of the House of Wolves. I began TTK with two spare Etheric Light in my vault, and there were only there because I stopped infusing gear and set Destiny aside for a few weeks pre-TTK.

With House of Wolves, the progression path narrowed dramatically for a non-PvP player like me, and it ran primarily through the Prison of Elders. Aside from the random (and frustratingly rare) Nightfall drop, I could only progress to 34 through a throttled number of challenge modes each week, for Etheric Light drops. I never did get all of my gear to 34 - not even all my favorite gear. The HoW era was one of perpetual frustration for me as I got my gear up to speed over the course of months.

Last night, I improved four pieces of gear on my level 293 Hunter through engrams dropped in the daily story mission and running patrols of all things. I can progress to higher light by running story missions, patrols, the strike playlist, Nightfalls, the heroic strikes, the daily crucible game (which I do play now) and of course, the Raid (where we can finally earn XP, do bounties, and get engram drops).

To me, this is a near-miraculous improvement over House of Wolves because suddenly all of Destiny is relevant to me when I'm high level. This is what I wanted through all of year 1. (Patrols are fun now, and the patrols on the Dreadnaught are a big part of my endgame activities - lots of XP, relevant engram drops, glimmer and the weekly events on the ship).

To me, the endgame has expanded dramatically to include literally every activity in the game. (I'm not in the peak of Trials and HM KF gear.) This is what I wanted from TTK and I'm so glad Bungie pulled it off. I'm playing much more variety now and still progressing than I ever did in year 1.

At any rate, I won't go point by point as those were the two biggest areas where I disagree with TTK. I totally understand your perspective, just wanted to offer my thoughts on those subjects since they're very things I really enjoy about TTK.

Welcome back!

See, I agree with both you and Ocean. I think TTK from levels 0 to 299 is the best Destiny has ever been. Always feels like progression, and you have so much content keeping you busy (CoO, daily heroic, nightfall, strikes). The biggest problem is the end game (300-320). This portion of the progression is what I believe Ocean is talking about and it is the worst Destiny has ever been.

And while it may not be 'required', we are by no means over leveled for KF HM. Enemies at Oryx are 320 light.

KodaRuss

So what is everyone using? Just any pulse rifle?

Red Death, Newyn's Mercy, Smight of Merian? What is everyone that is not stuck at work playing with?

Shotguns everywhere or?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom