• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiK

That's a fun role, the roamer just wrecking adds and Ogres. Super important too.

Imagine if they made one random fireteam member torn and one random fireteam member detained so at anytime two of the platform designated people could be disabled. Chaos.

UGH, please no detained!

BraXzy

Does anyone know if you can switch Gunsmith wepsbto a different character and still get rep from them?

Say on my Warlock I grab all the guns and complete the tasks, get the rep and dismantle them. Could I then grab all the guns on my Hunter and transfer them to my Warlock? I've never tried.

Oh!

I totally forgot to share my awesome LFG story from Monday.

'Twas the night before reset. I didn't really have anything left to do on PS4. I decided to catch a KF on Xbox. Obviously nothing for Xbox on here that late. So.. LFG!

First of all, like sooo many people want 300+ Light. It's stupid. I even got declined from a Gaffer a few days before because he wanted a 295+ light even though I've completed the whole thing with my 280 light titan and I told him all that matters is my high impact sniper yet he said nope. It's stupid. Anyways, after almost 30 minutes of looking and asking people, 1 person that had no requirements was looking for 5 more since he has Totems checkpoint. Perfect. I join.

After we get a full group, 1 person said he's done some but watched Twitched for the rest so he basically knows the encounter. I still had to explain every encounter in full detail to the noobie so that didn't matter. Everyone else supposedly done it all. Fast forward to Daughters. I spent like 8-10 minutes explaining the encounter. 1 person left already so we replaced him in that time. We try once and the guy (host of this LFG) missed his jumps. The noobie guy I had to explain everything to then left. After all that explaining I just did for daughters to him.

We get 2 more people since another followed his lead. After a couple of wipes since the Host couldn't jump, one of the new people got Torn. What does he do? He leaves immediately! Another new person joins. After another wipe (I think the host failed the jump 4 times so far...) one of the 2 new people got torn and he immediately commits suicide!!! He said nope not doing the jumping, sorry. LOL! So... HOST got torn for the 5th time... this time... HE makes the jump!!!! But what happens next... he comes to us in the middle... without dunking the sister -_- He said oh you have to do that?

I had to leave then (another person also left right before I did). I wasted almost an hour at sisters but those memories will always be there hahahaha. It's funny the amount of people that leave, usually 1-2, after 1-2 wipes. Even though one of the first 2 attempts, we got the first sister down to 10% but lost on the jumping part for the 2nd sister. That means we could do it with the right jumping but people still abandon so fast.
My biggest headache from LFG comes from always having to explain each fight to people. And then, exactly as you describe, those people leave and I have to explain everything again. So annoying. I want a full raid team that knows what's up just so I can play the raid without talking all the time.

Namikaze1

I forgot that YouTube streams are automatically uploaded to your channel.

My No Time to Explain vid is up to 1700+ views. Who the hell is watching a 73 minutes long video?!

So yesterday I finally finished the crucible quest to unlock the Shaxx weekly bounties and when I checked them out it said I already had 2 of the 5 done...but I obviously didn't.

I finished one of them and sure enough it said I had 3 out of 5 done. So now I'm sitting on 4 of Shaxx's 5 weekly bounties and it says I already have 3 of them finished.

Anyone know what gives?

lt519

Nah. Taken Captains.

Bungie, "Jumping while being torn between dimensions is TOO easy" "DO IT BLIND!"

MOVING PLATFORMS (;

That's interesting because I know a guy who prefers platforming with the third person camera and hates the first person view. I mean, like anything else, different people have different preferences but it seems that platforming in Destiny is especially polarizing.

Most people equip swords during the other platforming sections, not only for that extra life saving swipe, but because it is easier to see where you are landing. You are less prone to over shooting. I don't do it personally.

My biggest headache from LFG comes from always having to explain each fight to people. And then, exactly as you describe, those people leave and I have to explain everything again. So annoying. I want a full raid team that knows what's up just so I can play the raid without talking all the time.
Nope, cant even put them in bank.

phen0m24

Yea some roamers don't know how to correctly help ogres right away in the right order so I do like taking that role as well to make all the stuff below a lot smoother.

All this raid talk and now I want to raid! Was saving for HM but probably only going to do 1 Hard Mode on Friday assuming it'll take > 3 hours

I'll admit sometimes I forget the counterclockwise and find myself playing catchup but once I rememeber that I'm on lockdown. :)

I can do it now, after some practice.. it kept picking me :(

But it is the effects on the go that throw me, gives you tunnell vision and makes everything flat and hard to judge the jumps.
If it stayed first person it would be ok but that in combination with third person just fucks it up.

That's interesting because I know a guy who prefers platforming with the third person camera and hates the first person view. I mean, like anything else, different people have different preferences but it seems that platforming in Destiny is especially polarizing.

E92 M3

Yeah, a lot of people are just complete pansies when they get torn. "I can't handle this pressure, I'm not a good player, can't we just wipe?"

It's why I stopped raiding, basically. So many people don't want to pull their own weight.

In every raid I love doing the "relic duties" and it's no different on KF. Running platforms is a lot of fun and it's actually my favorite on Warlock.

People got spoiled by having to not do anything on Crota.

Penis walls that try to knock you off the platforms while torn
Small moving platforms, can only use blink and the platforms are not flat, they are pointed so you have to land perfectly.

And they move up and down as well as left and right and back and forth..
Edit: and there on FIRE!

Yea exactly. I don't mind explaining but I don't like when they just leave. Especially after just 1-2 wipes. I'll be down to raid with you. ImperatorPat gathered a group the week before last and I think all were from DGAF and it went fairly smooth. I was even a 280 light and it was fine.

Although... it'll be harder now since some people are waiting for HM and Halo 5 is also coming out.

phen0m24

In every raid I love doing the "relic duties" and it's no different on KF. Running platforms is a lot of fun and it's actually my favorite on Warlock.

People got spoiled by having to not do anything on Crota.

My man

Agree! The float is easy to cancel over each platform! :)

I'll admit sometimes I forget the counterclockwise and find myself playing catchup but once I rememeber that I'm on lockdown. :)

Haha yea it happens. I mean, it just takes a couple of seconds to be distracted by whatever to be out of focus with the timing :p One time my gf asked me a question while I was doing daughters and I usually call snipers and I got sniped hahaha.. it doesn't take long!

Hawkian, I do agree with your post. Even though we can get higher light gear, it's still not what a Nightfall used to be. Marks/Mat packages, something else at least needs to come with it as you described.

I was just happy to finally get something higher than my current, for something. But yea, you're right.

EL CUCO

Went into Rumble and ran into a 3 man Fireteam helping one of their guys with the Imprecation 7 Kill Spree. Had mine as well and decided to help out and get shot in the face a few times. Then without so much as message, they decided to help me out with my Spree as well. Very much appreciated lol, Thanks Guys.
Do that in WYL's lobby and get teabagged and reported lol

AngerdX

Stupid bungie quests, argh this sword one is such a chore and that one that got you killing valuable targets 3 times on each darn planet. meh

Yea exactly. I don't mind explaining but I don't like when they just leave. Especially after just 1-2 wipes. I'll be down to raid with you. ImperatorPat gathered a group the week before last and I think all were from DGAF and it went fairly smooth. I was even a 280 light and it was fine.

Although... it'll be harder now since some people are waiting for HM and Halo 5 is also coming out.
I at least want to get a shot (or 2) at hard mode this weekend. But yeah, Halo 5 next week...

Does anyone know if you can switch Gunsmith wepsbto a different character and still get rep from them?

Say on my Warlock I grab all the guns and complete the tasks, get the rep and dismantle them. Could I then grab all the guns on my Hunter and transfer them to my Warlock? I've never tried.
No you can't put those guns in the vault so there is no way to transfer them between characters.

lt519

Hawkian, I do agree with your post. Even though we can get higher light gear, it's still not what a Nightfall used to be. Marks/Mat packages, something else at least needs to come with it as you described.

I think people forget how disappointing the Nightfall rewards used to be after an expansion had been out for a bit. You still got strange coins, shards, and useless legendary items all the time. Exotics at like a 33% chance rate were the only reason people ran Nightfalls. I mostly did it for the XP buff and a shot at a Gjallahorn.

The fact that we can get legendary gear that is raid level at the moment (until Friday). Is actually pretty huge for people still fighting to get HM raid ready. Last night out of 9 drops we had a 310 shell, a 309 guantlet, and a 310 Telesto. 4 coin packages and only two disappointing pieces of gear (relative to us, they were still 300 ghosts which are gold to some people still).

Semi off topic but: Does anyone have triple computer monitors here? Like 3x 27"?

My PC currently has 2. I'm going to get a 3rd, and I want to get a desk that can hold all 3 monitors side-by-side. The main question is, does anyone have any desk recommendations for this setup? I'm also going to move my PS4 and XB1 next to my computer to hook up to 1 of the 3 monitors so I can have all my main gaming in 1 spot.

Playing Destiny on a 65" TV sitting a good 15 feet away doesn't do me justice for PvP. I think sitting close to a 27" will do me better. And I can also stream better to actually hook it up to my PC.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 so I have that going for me.

Stupid bungie quests, argh this sword one is such a chore and that one that got you killing valuable targets 3 times on each darn planet. meh
Is it wrong i loved that quest?
Big ex WoW player here and grinding relaxes me it only took a hour and a half i was pissed off to be honest, expected longer (i come out with 260 spin metal btw)

Shito

I think people forget how disappointing the Nightfall rewards used to be after an expansion had been out for a bit. You still got strange coins, shards, and useless legendary items all the time. Exotics at like a 33% chance rate were the only reason people ran Nightfalls. I mostly did it for the XP buff and a shot at a Gjallahorn.
We all did it for the XP/rep buff, and for the reputation it gave.
... which was better than even getting the equivalent of a NM raid gear legendary, I'd say. :)

Semi off topic but: Does anyone have triple computer monitors here? Like 3x 27"?

My PC currently has 2. I'm going to get a 3rd, and I want to get a desk that can hold all 3 monitors side-by-side. I'm also going to move my PS4 and XB1 next to my compute to hook up to 1 of the 3 monitors so I can have all my main gaming in 1 spot.

Playing Destiny on a 65" TV sitting a good 15 feet away doesn't do me justice for PvP. I think sitting close to a 27" will do me better. And I can also stream better to actually hook it up to my PC.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 so I have that going for me.

Yes, I run two 27" 1440p on my PC and a 65" TV attached as well (movies/TV). Look carefully at your inputs though, most video cards have dual DVI-D and then you have to use displayport or HDMI for the third. Once you get into stuff like g-Sync, 90+hz, etc you cannot use certain inputs, like I think HDMI doesn't support 120hz or even gSync maybe. You'll also have to carefully consider your sound, I use a single receiver for all my sound stuff so I have to choose between PC output or console output, although with headphones obviously I can do both.

You definitely can play better on a smaller monitor since less for your eye to look at, and everything is cleaner and crisper. I still like big TV for console gaming though.

There are a bunch of newer 4k monitors being released to keep an eye on, my plan is to switch to a gSync 4k 35" or higher monitor next year, replacing my dual setup.

I hope this shows up in the game......one day.
Unused tho ;__;
dorje-bellbrook-db-destiny-219.jpg

dorje-bellbrook-db-destiny-220.jpg

The fact that we can get legendary gear that is raid level at the moment (until Friday). Is actually pretty huge for people still fighting to get HM raid ready. Last night out of 9 drops we had a 310 shell, a 309 guantlet, and a 310 Telesto. 4 coin packages and only two disappointing pieces of gear (relative to us, they were still 300 ghosts which are gold to some people still).

Oh it's definitely an improvement for sure. But things like strange coins or 285 ghosts are somewhat common still and that doesn't do justice to what a Nightfall should. For this week's nightfall, sure. But take a look at last week's Arc Burn shank NF. That was one of the most atrocious nightfalls ever and anything below a 305 anything would not do that justice.

Do that in WYL's lobby and get teabagged and reported lol

Welp as I said earlier, I didn't go into Rumble with the intent to cheese anything. Didn't do it for Thorn or The Chaperone and didn't plan on doing it here. I do know some ppl struggle with these PvP quests so I decided to help out that particular group. Didn't plan on them returning the favor but appreciated that they did. As for WYL, I couldn't possibly care any less what that douche nozzle thinks or does.

Shito

The amount of control rivals the hunter!

--

Also, Bungie needs to return the rep back to the NF. It is abysmally slow to level factions.
Well, you can now farm public events in patrol to get some motes and... yeah, no, bring the rep back to NF Bungie. ;___;

ERMint13

So yesterday I finally finished the crucible quest to unlock the Shaxx weekly bounties and when I checked them out it said I already had 2 of the 5 done...but I obviously didn't.

I finished one of them and sure enough it said I had 3 out of 5 done. So now I'm sitting on 4 of Shaxx's 5 weekly bounties and it says I already have 3 of them finished.

Anyone know what gives?

Iron Banner Weekly bounties counted towards Shaxx. If you complete all Shaxx bounties this week you will be ahead next week also on that character.

As for Nightfall rewards I got a pair of boots at 292 one at 293 and a 298 Auto rifle all while being 304 at a minimum up to 307 on my Hunter.

Yes, I run two 27" 1440p on my PC and a 65" TV attached as well (movies/TV). Look carefully at your inputs though, most video cards have dual DVI-D and then you have to use displayport or HDMI for the third. Once you get into stuff like g-Sync, 90+hz, etc you cannot use certain inputs, like I think HDMI doesn't support 120hz or even gSync maybe. You'll also have to carefully consider your sound, I use a single receiver for all my sound stuff so I have to choose between PC output or console output, although with headphones obviously I can do both.

You definitely can play better on a smaller monitor since less for your eye to look at, and everything is cleaner and crisper. I still like big TV for console gaming though.

There are a bunch of newer 4k monitors being released to keep an eye on, my plan is to switch to a gSync 4k 35" or higher monitor next year, replacing my dual setup.

Hmm interesting, thanks. I did buy a couple of DisplayPorts since my card has 3x DisplayPort and 1 HDMI, I think. I will use GSYNC on my new/3rd monitor but only when I PC game. I'll use that exact monitor for PS4 assuming it runs it well :p
Meaning, I'll only be doing 1 thing at a time (either PC gaming or PS4/XB1 gaming)

Homeboyd

Putting together a list of things I think TTK did well and poorly since we're far enough out from launch. Help me fill in the blanks if you would. Anything you all would like to add?

Things TTK Did Well:

- Questification: Don't think this needs much explanation, though this isn't really a "TTK" thing as much as it is a QOL thing.

- UI in General: Things are easier to find, track and are more visually appealing on the UI side of things. Turning in bounties from anywhere is great as is tracking progress on bounties from your d-pad, viewing mission modifiers, and reading up on quests from your quest page. Again, more of a QOL thing but close enough to TTK launch that I'll count it.

- Non-Elemental Primaries: For most, this is a painful one to swallow, but I am on board. Completely opens the sandbox up and doesn't make it seem like I HAVE to use one of "those" guns simply because they have a burn and I'd be foolish not to. I use guns now that I wouldn't have given a second glance at in yr 1 Destiny.

- Story/Character Development: I'm usually not one who cares too much about the story in games either way, but even to me, this is a massive improvement over vanilla + yr 1 DLC.

- Making Patrol Relevant Again (at least in the Dreadnaught): Adding things like the scent chest, calcified fragments, skyburners beacons, court of oryx, wormsinger runes + keys, etc all help to make patrol relevant for much longer than the other planets did previously.

- Hidden Exotics: Again, some will disagree here, but I love the fact that stuff like Black Spindle, Sleeper Simulant and the No Time To Explain rifle are in the game and that at TTK's launch, we had no idea how to acquire these (or that BS even existed at all). I don't like the time-gating stuff as described in the below section, but all of these hidden guns/missions/etc make everything you pass by worth a second glance and I'm always checking here and Reddit in the AM to see if anything new has been discovered.

- The Raid and Strikes: I love the more mechanical approach they are taking with strikes and the raid. No one person can carry a team like they used to be able to do (even though the NM raid has now been 2-manned). Strike encounters featuring raid-lite mechanics is awesome and bosses don't feel like massive bullet sponges. The King's Fall raid is a massive, gorgeous encounter, start to finish. I love the design, mechanics, platforming (though I know some hate it) and mystery of the raid. Like VoG, it feels like nothing else in the game and tempts everyone to try and reveal its secrets that remain hidden. Looking forward to seeing what hard mode reveals.

- Loot: Loot rains from the skies now which always feels like you're getting rewarded for your efforts, even small efforts. Bosses dropping engrams is a great touch as well and I'm glad exotic engrams are actually things that exist outside Xur's inventory, though I wish they had a chance to drop without using 3 of Coins.

- The Taken (minus those Captain shadeball spammers): Though some might say this was a "cheap way" to create a new enemy class, I've enjoyed fighting the Taken for the most part. Learning new mechanics from familiar foes has been fun and they do feel like a completely new race to me. Challenging definitely, but not cheap (again, except for those Captains).

Things TTK Did Poorly:

- Time-Gating Steps in Quests (and other poor quest steps): Waiting a week because "reasons" is a terrible quest step. Donating materials to a vendor because "reasons" is a terrible quest step. Farming patrols for hours for a warsat event or for a rare material to drop from a mat node are terrible quest steps. I could go on but you get the idea.

- Daily Missions for Exotics: Locking exotics behind random dailies that are only available while that daily is up is a bad idea. Pretty self-explanatory. Once that daily has launched once, the quest should remain active for that mission no matter when you run it.

- Legendary Marks: cap too low, everything requires marks, no guaranteed marks beyond dailies in a given day if all weekly activities are completed

- Iron Banner: This isn't specific to TTK, but IB appears to have actually gotten worse from previous events. I don't play this at all because I hate pvp grinding, but from reading comments here (and everywhere else online), this appears to be a major letdown. From poor loot chances, to lag, to grinding... Should probably "go back in the oven for a while," yesss?

- Nightfalls: Loot has been improved (or so I'm told), but rep and xp buffs still gone. As Ghal mentioned, getting these done at the first of the reset week used to be something I looked forward to. I don't anymore even with the so-called improved drops.

- Moldering Shards: Good idea, poor execution. I like the idea of being able to acquire a consumable to get "extra" rewards from the raid. Problem is, most of the time you don't get extra rewards. Antiquated runes are a terrible drop and exchanging 20 shards for 2 is something I can't believe made it in the actual game. Goes without saying, but definitely shouldn't have called these "shards" either. Just another excuse for us to complain about getting only "shards" from the raid.

- Raid Drops: Armor only dropping from Golgoroth, relying on RNG to get a specific piece of gear you need then relying on RNG again that it is at a light level you need to progress is not fun. Getting 19 fusion rifles before 1 sniper is not fun. Running 10 complete raids without a ghost drop is not fun (though NF helps this some now considering it can drop 300+ ghosts). People misquote Luke all the time with the whole "smart loot" comment, but the game really doesn't seem to lean towards helping you progress by dropping things you need consistently at all. Seems like the opposite actually...

- Gunsmith Weapon Testing: Good idea, poor execution. I like the idea of being able to test weapons I wouldn't use otherwise and being able to access new legendary weapons for the price of glimmer. However going and shooting 10 enemies with this terrible white gun, or getting headshots with that terrible white gun is awfully boring and is something I feel like I have to do, rather than get to do. I've ordered maybe 3 guns total from the gunsmith since TTK launched. I have no room for them, most are weak, and they drop at 280 (or 290? can't remember).

- Continuing to Not Separate PvE/PvP for Gear Balancing: This is not really a "TTK" thing but is still something TTK doesn't do. Imo, the game would benefit greatly from PvE balancing of gear separately from PvP. This has been said time and time again and in some cases they've listened (boosting shotgun damage to "minions of the darkness" so it has no effect on PvP), but overall things are nerfed or buffed across the board which doesn't make any sense. On that note, seems like most things get nerfed to a point where no one wants to touch them anymore pretty frequently.

- Content Delivery: While we did get some new missions, a new patrol area, new gear, strikes and a raid, it was still incredibly easy to burn through this stuff very quickly and get burned out on it. On paper, the content seems like a lot, but imo, it really isn't (especially for us Xboners). There are a billion quests to complete which gives you a lot to do, but not a lot of new places to do them in. The game needs new planets desperately imo.

- Weapon Parts and Strange Coins Nerfs: Just stop it.

Undetermined:

- Infusion System: I personally don't like this system at all, though I know some of you do. I don't like how it encourages players to hang onto tons of 290+ gear in their vaults for no other purpose than to use at "some point" down the road on a new piece of gear they may get that they want to bring up. It still encourages players to use their highest light level gear over something they would prefer otherwise. I see tons of people wanting these flayer mantle cloaks, yet they still use their raid class items because they're 20-30 light higher and they may not be able to bring those cloaks up to that level anytime soon.

- Punishing Exotic Quests: The Chaperone. As someone who does not enjoy Destiny's PvP at all, I never thought I would even attempt this quest when I first saw it. Then when I actually saw people discussing how punishing it actually was for them, I was sure I would never try it. I eventually came around and gave it a go and finished the quest in 4 games. It was the most intense 4 games (outside of Trials) I can remember playing in Destiny's PvP and really made acquiring that gun feel like a trophy. I absolutely loved that the game pushed me outside my comfort zone to do something pretty difficult by most people's standards to get this gun. Having said that, there are some people out there that will likely never ever get this gun due to that PvP step. Same with the NTTE requiring an Atheon kill (like Ghal mentioned previously). For us, this step is a joke (we ran an entire VoG yesterday in like 35 minutes), but I'm sure there are tons of guardians who have never even stepped foot into any raid. Sadly, they'll never have a chance to experience these exotics. I think that's ok for raid gear, but sucks for exotics to be lumped in here as well for them.

- Making Old Content Completely Irrelevant: This one I understand 100%. They want you buying and playing new content. But one of the main complaints I always see is "why bother doing this or getting that when they'll just make it irrelevant in ___ time." I believe they'll revisit some of the year 1 content at some point in the future, but I hate that there is so much great year 1 gear and content that we've had to delete/forget about simply because it's year 1 gear and content. I agree, using the same weapon for 10 years is a horrible idea and people should move on to other things just like we should move on to new missions/strikes/raids, but I still would like to be able to carry some things forward of my choosing and occasionally revisit the old stuff from time to time. The new missions requiring visits to old raids are fantastic in this regard however.

- Character Leveling: No doubt, the 1-40 grind is much, much improved, however that's where it ends for me. I like the fact that one random drop can improve your overall light level, but damage dealt is still determined by that weapon's light level you are using to damage the enemy. It seems easier to progress since you're not just waiting for that one item to drop (nod boots from VoG), BUT once you did get those boots, you were done. Now you can get 20 pair of boots in a row and not get to where you want to be. They've attempted to push the whole "you don't need to be above ____ level" narrative, but players are still going to want to achieve that cap, and as you'll see on lfg sites, people still require it even if it makes no difference at all. You won't convince them that being 285 for normal King's Fall is "just fine." They're going to want to hit that 100% optimization level regardless, so creating a system that makes it MUCH more difficult than before to get there leaves players feeling less satisfied imo. I enjoyed hitting rank 30 and being "done" with progression and just steamrolling stuff in PvE. Then I could chase gear with specific perks I wanted versus stuff that will make me have less of a handicap against enemies in certain activities. Now it feels like the chase will never end which some people will accept and deal with, and others will feel like they're just too far behind the curve and will never catch up to their friends and will just move on to other things. Seeing this happen in our regular groups right now.

- MTX - Not a whole lot to say here, but I love the idea that people can buy stuff that doesn't matter in-game to fund new content delivery down the line. It remains to be seen how well this actually works and how often we get content delivered and how substantial it will be compared to the yr 1 model though.

That's all I've got for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom