• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT35| Time to Explain At Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strider

Playing Rebel Galaxy makes me wish Destiny had space stuff.
Really just flying in the vast empty space with firefly-like tunes is amazing.

Bungie do et!

If flying through space is your thing have you given Elite Dangerous a try? Heard great things about it

JackHerer

Are there any exotic armour pieces which work well with the Nightstalker? I haven't used the subclass at all so any good setups for PVE?

Sealed ahamkara grasps all day. Two invisibility smoke bombs for PvE is incredibly useful. Envenomed for PvP is supposed to be good.

Try pairing it with Monte Carlo for infinite invis on demand in PvE.

zewone

Some of the traveler concept arts are kinda Nightmare fuel.

For some reason it made me think of this:

tumblr_ml0hhsWcqh1rw70wfo1_500.png

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I use Don't Touch Me gloves. Love those things for any Hunter class

Sealed Amakhara Grasps. Double the invis, double the fun!

Yes, the Graviton Forfeit helmet and sealed ahamkara.

But I prefer the helmet.

Sealed ahamkara grasps all day. Two invisibility smoke bombs for PvE is incredibly useful. Envenomed for PvP is supposed to be good.

Try pairing it with Monte Carlo for infinite invis on demand in PvE.

Thanks guys. Typically infused a pair of Sealed Amakhara 310 last night. I have another 290 pair though. Think I have some Don't Touch Me.

JackHerer

Yes, the Graviton Forfeit helmet and sealed ahamkara.

But I prefer the helmet.

I much prefer the look of the helmet but I couldn't justify using it since enhanced tracking (the best perk it frees up) is not that great in PvE. I just turn it on as needed and keep shade step on during encounters.

You don't really gain much from using Graviton Forfeit IMO.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
I've been using a 310 Don't Touch Me recently, and they are better than I recall. When the Darkblade does his axe strike it triggers the invisibility which is super helpful to keep him from striking a second time.

zewone

I much prefer the look of the helmet but I couldn't justify using it since enhanced tracking (the best perk it frees up) is not that great in PvE. I just turn it on as needed and keep shade step on during encounters.

The helmet is just the best looking Hunter helmet. Whereas most of the hunter helmets in TTK look like hot trash.

I've been using a 310 Don't Touch Me recently, and they are better than I recall. When the Darkblade does his axe strike it triggers the invisibility which is super helpful to keep him from striking a second time.

I just got these last night from an exotic engram,only 290 :(, but that is a great idea to use them on Darkblade. I need to run that twice with my hunter to get my exotic arc and void swords.

matmanx1

Putting together a list of things I think TTK did well and poorly since we're far enough out from launch. Help me fill in the blanks if you would. Anything you all would like to add?

*SNIP*

[
- Iron Banner: This isn't specific to TTK, but IB appears to have actually gotten worse from previous events. I don't play this at all because I hate pvp grinding, but from reading comments here (and everywhere else online), this appears to be a major letdown. From poor loot chances, to lag, to grinding... Should probably "go back in the oven for a while," yesss?

Actually, this was the easiest and less stressful IB yet and I've done them all. The new bounty system ensured that if you did the three dailies and then at least 2 of the weeklies by Sunday you would be Rank 5. The lag wasn't an issue at all. The drops felt sparse but the vendor gear was as good or better than it has ever been so overall I give it a thumbs up.

- Moldering Shards: Good idea, poor execution. I like the idea of being able to acquire a consumable to get "extra" rewards from the raid. Problem is, most of the time you don't get extra rewards. Antiquated runes are a terrible drop and exchanging 20 shards for 2 is something I can't believe made it in the actual game. Goes without saying, but definitely shouldn't have called these "shards" either. Just another excuse for us to complain about getting only "shards" from the raid.

Totally agree. Moldering shards as a mechanic could have been ok but we've been screaming since the very first raid about only getting shards as a drop and then they go and put more shards in the new raid? Someone, somewhere thought it would be funny. But I don't.

- Raid Drops: Armor only dropping from Golgoroth, relying on RNG to get a specific piece of gear you need then relying on RNG again that it is at a light level you need to progress is not fun. Getting 19 fusion rifles before 1 sniper is not fun. Running 10 complete raids without a ghost drop is not fun (though NF helps this some now considering it can drop 300+ ghosts). People misquote Luke all the time with the whole "smart loot" comment, but the game really doesn't seem to lean towards helping you progress by dropping things you need consistently at all. Seems like the opposite actually...

Yeah, seems like armor pieces should be spread out more. Or have a chance to drop from any boss. Either would be fine, really.

- Gunsmith Weapon Testing: Good idea, poor execution. I like the idea of being able to test weapons I wouldn't use otherwise and being able to access new legendary weapons for the price of glimmer. However going and shooting 10 enemies with this terrible white gun, or getting headshots with that terrible white gun is awfully boring and is something I feel like I have to do, rather than get to do. I've ordered maybe 3 guns total from the gunsmith since TTK launched. I have no room for them, most are weak, and they drop at 280 (or 290? can't remember).

Disagree. I enjoy the gunplay so much that I enjoy these test weapons and I enjoy the unique legendaries you can order and the ones you receive from faction rank ups. Also nifty are the unique class and exotic quests that Banshee gives. I actually really like what Bungie did with it.

- Weapon Parts and Strange Coins Nerfs: Just stop it.

No argument here. The weapon part change still baffles me.

- Infusion System: I personally don't like this system at all, though I know some of you do. I don't like how it encourages players to hang onto tons of 290+ gear in their vaults for no other purpose than to use at "some point" down the road on a new piece of gear they may get that they want to bring up. It still encourages players to use their highest light level gear over something they would prefer otherwise. I see tons of people wanting these flayer mantle cloaks, yet they still use their raid class items because they're 20-30 light higher and they may not be able to bring those cloaks up to that level anytime soon.

For the most part, I like the infusion system. Especially since it means I don't have to wear or wield any of the hideous raid gear. I can just infuse that stuff into the legendaries that I actually like.

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual

The predator perk is super helpful in PvE, it allows the tether to grab new enemies as they wander closer to it. It also seems to make them last longer too.

Tecnniqe

Banned
If flying through space is your thing have you given Elite Dangerous a try? Heard great things about it
Elite is more of a Sim while Rebel Galaxy is more of a Arcady type game. Looks amazing as well + music is 100% on it
Take me out, to the moon.
Dinklebot will wake them soon.

You can't take The Hiiiive from meeee.
:D

I just wish they'd make some use of the space they created.

Im just flying around killing pirates while jamming, its freakin awesome.
And like $12 or whatever.

Homeboyd

I just want to touch on these 3 things

Daily Missions for Exotics Quests do stay after you do the steps to unlock it in the daily, I was able to finish the sleep simulant the next day after I had the quest unlocked and I am pretty sure it's the same for no time to explain.

I think a big issue is only having them happen on weekdays when they should have them happen random times of the week including weekends.
No I mean the "pre-requisite" phases on some of these. Like having to get the ghosts on the Paradox mission ONLY while that mission is the daily. Or only being able to get the Spindle while that mission is the daily. I don't like that if people miss this for one reason or another, they're just screwed until it pops up again. I'm saying once it's been the daily once, those activities should remain available from then on for everyone.

you can't really make it sound so simple. main TTK quest? yes. some of the secondary quests? maybe.

but most of these so called quest are just a random number of steps consisting in "kill X amount of A" (usually with weirdly specific terms applied), "collect Y amount of B", "wait for a randomly decided date" with some half assed missions thrown in the middle (yesterday's "find a random chest in a random multiplayer map" being probably the worst offender. worse than turret mission from HoW :| ).

that's not something TTK did well in my opinion.
By questification, I simply mean the way they organized quests into one place and that you can abandon/re-visit from the same place. It also puts them in a linear system that makes sense progression wise versus what we had before. I'm not talking about the quality of the quests themselves.

E92 M3

*SNIP*

[
- Iron Banner: This isn't specific to TTK, but IB appears to have actually gotten worse from previous events. I don't play this at all because I hate pvp grinding, but from reading comments here (and everywhere else online), this appears to be a major letdown. From poor loot chances, to lag, to grinding... Should probably "go back in the oven for a while," yesss?

Actually, this was the easiest and less stressful IB yet and I've done them all. The new bounty system ensured that if you did the three dailies and then at least 2 of the weeklies by Sunday you would be Rank 5. The lag wasn't an issue at all. The drops felt sparse but the vendor gear was as good or better than it has ever been so overall I give it a thumbs up.

- Moldering Shards: Good idea, poor execution. I like the idea of being able to acquire a consumable to get "extra" rewards from the raid. Problem is, most of the time you don't get extra rewards. Antiquated runes are a terrible drop and exchanging 20 shards for 2 is something I can't believe made it in the actual game. Goes without saying, but definitely shouldn't have called these "shards" either. Just another excuse for us to complain about getting only "shards" from the raid.

Totally agree. Moldering shards as a mechanic could have been ok but we've been screaming since the very first raid about only getting shards as a drop and then they go and put more shards in the new raid? Someone, somewhere thought it would be funny. But I don't.

- Raid Drops: Armor only dropping from Golgoroth, relying on RNG to get a specific piece of gear you need then relying on RNG again that it is at a light level you need to progress is not fun. Getting 19 fusion rifles before 1 sniper is not fun. Running 10 complete raids without a ghost drop is not fun (though NF helps this some now considering it can drop 300+ ghosts). People misquote Luke all the time with the whole "smart loot" comment, but the game really doesn't seem to lean towards helping you progress by dropping things you need consistently at all. Seems like the opposite actually...

Yeah, seems like armor pieces should be spread out more. Or have a chance to drop from any boss. Either would be fine, really.

- Gunsmith Weapon Testing: Good idea, poor execution. I like the idea of being able to test weapons I wouldn't use otherwise and being able to access new legendary weapons for the price of glimmer. However going and shooting 10 enemies with this terrible white gun, or getting headshots with that terrible white gun is awfully boring and is something I feel like I have to do, rather than get to do. I've ordered maybe 3 guns total from the gunsmith since TTK launched. I have no room for them, most are weak, and they drop at 280 (or 290? can't remember).

Disagree. I enjoy the gunplay so much that I enjoy these test weapons and I enjoy the unique legendaries you can order and the ones you receive from faction rank ups. Also nifty are the unique class and exotic quests that Banshee gives. I actually really like what Bungie did with it.

- Weapon Parts and Strange Coins Nerfs: Just stop it.

No argument here. The weapon part change still baffles me.

- Infusion System: I personally don't like this system at all, though I know some of you do. I don't like how it encourages players to hang onto tons of 290+ gear in their vaults for no other purpose than to use at "some point" down the road on a new piece of gear they may get that they want to bring up. It still encourages players to use their highest light level gear over something they would prefer otherwise. I see tons of people wanting these flayer mantle cloaks, yet they still use their raid class items because they're 20-30 light higher and they may not be able to bring those cloaks up to that level anytime soon.

For the most part, I like the infusion system. Especially since it means I don't have to wear or wield any of the hideous raid gear. I can just infuse that stuff into the legendaries that I actually like.

Most of the time it's not viable to infuse because of the 80% rule and Etheric Light was infinitely better for getting to the cap. There is no question about that. Etheric Light promoted the use of unique armor combinations, now it's just a hassle.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Fresh Full Raid!

Starting as soon as we're full up. Please have gear at an acceptable level to complete the whole raid. Looking for people who've at least seen all the fights. Come with whatever synths etc you'll need. Mic required.

Copy and paste the list with your PSN added please:

1. crophonso
2. tastypwnwhich
3. techn1colors
4. US-Frostburn

Fresh Full Raid!

Starting as soon as we're full up. Please have gear at an acceptable level to complete the whole raid. Looking for people who've at least seen all the fights. Come with whatever synths etc you'll need. Mic required.

1. crophonso
2. tastypwnwhich

This still happening? Cause I think im 30 mins late.

noomi

I stole it from you yesterday

I also stole a legendary engram drop from a boss even though bungie said that wouldn't happen anymore in nightfalls

I'm just mean

And you're welcome LT @_@

Give it back! I've had the worst luck with dust palace, getting it tonight though, for reals

Triz

Fresh Full Raid!

1. crophonso
2. tastypwnwhich
3. techn1colors
4. US-Frostburn
5.Triz
6.Sr0C81

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Fresh Full Raid!

1. crophonso
2. tastypwnwhich
3. techn1colors
4. US-Frostburn
5.Triz
6.Sr0C81

invites going out now

No I mean the "pre-requisite" phases on some of these. Like having to get the ghosts on the Paradox mission ONLY while that mission is the daily. Or only being able to get the Spindle while that mission is the daily. I don't like that if people miss this for one reason or another, they're just screwed until it pops up again. I'm saying once it's been the daily once, those activities should remain available from then on for everyone.

What's the point of it then? Every mission will become the daily at some point in the first 3 months or so of TTK. The periodization of availability is the key. Not everyone should have these exotic weapons. They wouldn't be exotics then. I can't see them changing this. People will just have to realize they cant have everything they want and move on. (This is not directed at you... just the self-entitled internet)

Homeboyd

*SNIP*

I'm not criticizing the gunsmith exotic quests, but rather the testing of awful weapons in awful ways for rep. I know some people like the guns for sale, but because of my issues with infusion (below), these are rarely touched by me personally.

As Trance said, the 80% rule kills it for me. You may not like the raid gear but unless you have a trail of class items that leads up to a light level equivalent of that raid class item, you can't achieve the same level by using your more preferred class item.

I hate that if I get a great class item that I really like at 280 but have a 310 raid class item, I have to have several other class items, including a 310, to dump into the 280 to get it where my raid item is. I'll just not use those things because it's a hassle keeping that many "infuse trash items" in my vault for each slot, for each character.

What's the point of it then? Every mission will become the daily at some point in the first 3 months or so of TTK. The periodization of availability is the key. Not everyone should have these exotic weapons. They wouldn't be exotics then. I can't see them changing this. People will just have to realize they cant have everything they want and move on. (This is not directed at you... just the self-entitled internet)
Not suggesting every person should have every exotic. But suggesting only people who are able to play on these random days coincidentally should have certain exotics seems like a really dumb idea. Everyone still has to complete the exotic quest even if it's available all the time. Locking them behind random time-gates is stupid imo.

JackHerer

The helmet is just the best looking Hunter helmet. Whereas most of the hunter helmets in TTK look like hot trash.

Mostly agree. The only other one I like is the FWC one that has an animated visor. That's what I replaced my Graviton Forfeit with and I haven't seen anything else that looks as good.

I love Celestial Nighthawk also, too bad it's a Gunslinger helmet that's very situational.

As Trance said, the 80% rule kills it for me. You may not like the raid gear but unless you have a trail of class items that leads up to a light level equivalent of that raid class item, you can't achieve the same level by using your more preferred class item.

I hate that if I get a great class item that I really like at 280 but have a 310 raid class item, I have to have several other class items, including a 310, to dump into the 280 to get it where my raid item is. I'll just not use those things because it's a hassle keeping that many "infuse trash items" in my vault for each slot, for each character.

Couldnt agree more with this! For instance... i just pulled a 282, perfectly rolled Treads Upon Stars with triple tap and mulligan i believe it was (something with triple tap)... but my primaries are all starting to fall in the 300's... i take a look at this otherwise perfect scout rifle and think... whelp, this is trash because it will take me a handful of different weapons to get it to 310. The system, as is, not being 100% infusion is horrible. God forbid a new exotic drops at 190 and we're looking for 320-330 in hard mode... whats the point Bungie?

Not suggesting every person should have every exotic. But suggesting only people who are able to play on these random days coincidentally should have certain exotics seems like a really dumb idea. Everyone still has to complete the exotic quest even if it's available all the time. Locking them behind random time-gates is stupid imo.

The thing is it's not like these are one time events. There will be plenty of more opportunities in the year to come. It would be different if it was an unannounced, one day only affair or something. People just need patience and to pay attention to the forums etc. The only ones of us lusting after this 1% stuff are the same ones scouring the forums for news and secrets.

FStop7

Banned
The Hakke Zarinaea-D that was part of last week's Armsday menu is pretty decent. I've been comparing it to the ARI-45 and I'm not sure which one I prefer. I like them both a lot. The Hakke has a faster reload and a little more stability but it has iron sights and not the greatest range. The ARI-45 has a little more wander, is slightly slower to reload, but it has better range and that awesome Jade Rabbit style holo sight.

I think the ARI-45 might be a good PVP gun if you don't have a killer pulse rifle and the Zarinaea-D might be a bit better in PVE, particularly in fights that take place at medium to close range.

Also, and this is shallow, but the Hakke is ugly compared to the ARI-45. The Hakke is plain looking and beige. The Suros has cool graphics of a dragon. How can you go wrong with dragons?

I also got the Hunter-only Stillpiercer sniper rifle from the Gunsmith. It's not bad, either. I don't know if I'll ever use it much, though. I already have Hereafter and the next time the Black Spindle is up for grabs I fully plan on getting it.

E92 M3

Oh, it's been talked about! No idea why it takes that long.

Yup. Takes days. It's awful for when your want the reload speed on your gloves for example

I feel ya dawg, I level an exotic weapon with 15 motes, armor.... shieeeet. I have exotic armor from the first week of TTK that's still not fully leveled :p

YES! Bungie needs to be aware - don't think they are. Too busy nerfing weapon parts and coins to notice ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom