• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

border

I am just going to be sitting at the Hard Mode Totems checkpoint for the next 20-25 minutes. Anybody that wants to pop in and grab it is welcome to.

PSN border199x

EDIT: I will probably just be getting ready for work, so if I'm not responsive just wipe the group so you can get the CP and move on.

Lol true but I've seen this often. A guy called Sterling had a video which nearly gave me cancer on the subject of micro transactions.

It's like a large part of the gaming community is either completely oblivious to the most basic notions of free markets or they're being obtuse and asking games to be some sort of special service for some reason where you get things for free because integrity. I genuinely don't get it.

And it bothers me a little because I've spent roughly a third of my life studying Economics, Finance and Business. I've worked as an analyst and interned as a wealth manager, I've seen so many different business models across industries it's hard to keep up.

But the dynamics from the hyper vocal hardcore minority are extremely bizarre and I can never really understand how people are serious in their denouncement of companies making money by offering people stuff they voluntarily pay for because they want.

A lot of people are clueless to economics, but there is also a component of this is basic human nature. Video games were established in a time when the infrastucture couldnt handle incremental updates, dlc or expansions. Everything was a package deal, one-and-done. It established a precedance and an expectation for future transactions.

As technology has changed, so has the business models, but that doesnt set well when it means breaking established tradition. People are willing to accept change if the benefits are clearly and obviously present for their benefit, but that isnt the case for dlc. People question business motives naturally and it is compounded by the average persons ignorance of the development process.

Supply and Demand is a factor in games pricing, but it isnt as obvious since the practice of slapping a standard price of $59.99 on every game is in place, regardless of how much content it has. The market needs to have much more fluid pricing to reflect the value of games. The market does dictate the value eventually as big sellers retain $59.99 longer while the bombas drop quickly, but it still feels obfuscated. This contributes to consumer reluctance to anything that increases the cost on their end.

Started a month ago, way before the Festival. I've even completey uninstalled / reinstalled and also rebuilt my database.

yea that's pretty weird then. i've noticed longer times since TTK but nothing that long on average. i'd post on bungie's help forums with a video report if you haven't already.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Running NFx3. Join me for first.

giphy.gif

Bizazedo

yea that's pretty weird then. i've noticed longer times since TTK but nothing that long on average. i'd post on bungie's help forums with a video report if you haven't already.

Yeah, a good idea TG....if no one else is experiencing it (as badly at least), wonder if it's my PS4 or something.

/cries in solitary despair.

jschreier

I'm torn. On one hand I think having Destiny 2 not include all the Destiny 1 content would be kind of sad. But at the same time they have to cutoff last gen at some point. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like to login to Destiny 1 once you've played 2 and have year 3 gear. Will your slots just be empty for those pieces of equipment? I'm not sure how that would work. It almost has to be built on the current framework if we're bringing characters forward.
I think it's very possible -- likely, even! -- that they both cut out last-gen consoles AND carry over old characters/content. I can see them offering free or cheap upgrades to PS3/360 users, too.

There was no news. :p

Is the news theres no news for yr2? links please

Can we get back to the shit loot for another 5 minutes, 2 runs from Totems to Daughters and not a meaningful drop the only "decent" things were a 314 chest (have 313) on my Hunter and 317 Gauntlets on my Titan (had 314 ones).

I still don't have a shader on any character for getting all the raid gear

Deku Tree

Destiny 2 is gonna be interesting. The original leaked contract stipulated that it'd ditch last-gen consoles, but I have no idea if that's still true! I have heard that it'll be loaded on the same executable file that we use now, so it could very well feel more like TTK than a new game, but I'm not 100% on that. I'm pretty sure it'll carry over all of our characters, tho.

A couple of thoughts here.

1) if it loads on the same executable file and includes all the old content then Bungie/Acti are going to be asking new players to do a monster download (at least 80-100gigs IMO). I wonder if they can put most of it on one disk.

2) if the new cabal raid for Destiny 2 is on a new area of Mars that means that Mars is still an area

3) I like that we will just be able to load our old characters into it, and it should be some kind of a continuous progression system like an MMO. And they really have to allow you to bring your silver purchases forward with you.

FStop7

Banned
To be honest, I'd love for Bungie to use the Y1 planets and areas in a new expansion. Populate them with quest givers, new activities etc. I love the feel and design of the Cosmodrome, why not get the most out of these areas?

The open world stuff in Y1 always felt like it was meant for something other than the boring ass patrols.

I would like to see some evolution, though. In a year I don't want to see the same old Fallen spawning out of the same old sheds in old Russia. Or the same Vex, Taken and Cabal locked in an eternal struggle on Mars. Evolve the locales.

Afrocious

Got back early so I'm good to raid now or do a NF until 6pm eastern.

As far as raiding, we got:

Nami
Breezy
Myself

3 slots for HM KF

PSN Afrodeeziyak

Figs didn't know we were raiding today so she's with noomi and wicked. She's up for alt runs though. I am too. Also I think we should talk when we can about if we're gonna keep raiding or not around this time. November is looking iffy based on what folks are saying in this thread.

Nami
Breezy
Myself

3 slots for HM KF

PSN Afrodeeziyak

Figs didn't know we were raiding today so she's with noomi and wicked. She's up for alt runs though. I am too. Also I think we should talk when we can about if we're gonna keep raiding or not around this time. November is looking iffy based on what folks are saying in this thread.

Im down good sir.

coy

Nami
Breezy
Myself

3 slots for HM KF

PSN Afrodeeziyak

I can make this.

PSN: coyquettish

I think it's very possible -- likely, even! -- that they both cut out last-gen consoles AND carry over old characters/content. I can see them offering free or cheap upgrades to PS3/360 users, too.

Isn't player characters already shared between platforms (PS3/PS4 or 360/X1)? A person moving from PS3/360 on Destiny 1 could move to Destiny 2 with just the purchase of a next-gen system and the new Destiny content anyway.

jschreier

1) if it loads on the same executable file and includes all the old content then Bungie/Acti are going to be asking new players to do a monster download (at least 80-100gigs IMO). I wonder if they can put most of it on one disk.

2) if the new cabal raid for Destiny 2 is on a new area of Mars that means that Mars is still an area

3) I like that we will just be able to load our old characters into it, and it should be some kind of a continuous progression system like an MMO. And they really have to allow you to bring your silver purchases forward with you.
There isn't really any room for debate over whether D2 (or whatever it's called) will have the old content. Bungie didn't spend half a decade building those planets just to get rid of them after a couple of years.

hiryu

Nami
Breezy
Myself

3 slots for HM KF

PSN Afrodeeziyak

I'll go PSN Snikch

Klyka

Banned

Not really.

Destiny 2 can use many of the same assets as Destiny 1 keeping the download similar to what we have now,while adding some extra to it.
I don't see Destiny 2 as a new player download,even including everything we have now, to exceed 40gb

Nami
Breezy
Myself

3 slots for HM KF

PSN Afrodeeziyak

I'm always up for raiding. Taking 1-2 hours a week to group up and raid is always a good itme. That's just me though, fallout isn't going to stop me from enjoying the small things in Destiny.

There isn't really any room for debate over whether D2 (or whatever it's called) will have the old content. Bungie didn't spend half a decade building those planets just to get rid of them after a couple of years.

How many different ways can they path a mission through the existing planets? We've already traversed the same areas numerous times.

Destiny 2 needs to bring 4+ new Patrol areas like the first game had. They can still be on the same planets, just new locales. Kinda like the Chicago area in concept art for Earth.

Deku Tree

Not really.

Destiny 2 can use many of the same assets as Destiny 1 keeping the download similar to what we have now,while adding some extra to it.
I don't see Destiny 2 as a new player download,even including everything we have now, to exceed 40gb

I thought that we are already over a 40gb DL with everything that we have now.

I don't think people in this thread will be happy to talk about "reusing assets" though.

someday

Banned
So here's the way it goes. They can continue to develop and produce new things for us, or they can call it a day because you got what you paid for. Developing and producing new content and experiences is probably what most active players would like, but it only seems natural that it should be offered at a price. And, as a consumer, it's natural for you to decide whether the offered product or service is worth it at the asking price.

I'll part from your specific example - you believe US$7 for Thriller is too much. That's perfectly legitimate - absolutely every product and service ever conceived has value which can only be subjective, by standard definition. Intrinsic value is an old fallacy. Some might have paid US$20, while maybe you'd have skipped even at US$0.50.

The point is, the "whole game" you paid for is still in your console. What you don't have access to are things not included in what you paid for, and made available at a price for those who want it.

Why do you feel like playing less? Would the game have more value for you if these dances had never been introduced despite being, for all intents and purposes, the same amount of content as you have right now? And why?
I clipped your post to take less real estate but I definitely read it all :)

I would have continued to buy DLC to enhance the game and I wanted that DLC to incorporate all that Destiny had to offer. I agree that this is a game that requires expansion; it isn't like other console AAA games that I've played. For that reason I saw the former DLC packages to be necessary and I've been mostly happy with them. I fully planned to buy Destiny DLC for the foreseeable future for whatever Bungie decided to sell them for (within reason). Honestly, if they had stated from the beginning that they were going to sell DLC and have microtransactions for dances and stuff I most likely would have never gotten into the game. Yes I would love more dances but I would prefer if they were released in DLC. This just isn't a model that I want to support. I don't play f2p games either because of the nickle and dime aspect. I buy map packs for multiplayer games that I feel I'll get enjoyment from. I do not ever buy costumes or additional characters (Assassin's Creed). I think the Thriller dance is amazing. I am pretty sure there will be many more and the price will keep rising and people will continue to buy them to collect them all.

And yes, I still have the "whole game" that I bought but we all know that Destiny is different. It is a game that lives and breathes and the DLC is supposed to "expand" the universe. I'm happy with the money I've spent and yes, I had a blast. But introducing Tess and silver has changed what I expect from the game. I worry that since Bungie can make as much money from Tess that we simply won't see meaty DLC packs. TTK is so good because there was such an outcry over TDB and even HoW. But if the community is ok spending $20-$40 for dances and hats then there is no hurry for Bungie to create more actual content. Granted, this is getting into the realm of conjecture but I've seen nothing concrete that says otherwise.

I really don't know if I'm explaining this well or if I've answered all of your questions. Basically I understand how economics and capitalism work. I understand and fully accept that Bungie and Activision are all about making as much money as possible (and with as little input as possible). But the other side of that equation is that the consumer has to feel they are getting their moneys worth or the whole thing falls apart. At this point I feel like I am at odds with the rest of the Destiny community. They will keep reinforcing or supporting the new financial model and I will not. That's why I'm not playing as much.

Nami
Breezy
Myself

3 slots for HM KF

PSN Afrodeeziyak

I'm down. F0X-AIV3E ps4

Namikaze1

Anyone has the Totems CP? I am not doing the ship or the dunking parts.

For folks responding to my post, send me FRs if you haven't. PSN Afrodeeziyak

I know right. I'm sad as hell
Dammit, Fig! We lost our best runner. Now we have to settle with the other runner.

I can put on my best british accent and falsetto voice and yell at you if it'll make you feel better.
it won't be the same!

First one to yell at nami gets his rng luck.
That's not how it works. First, you do- wait why am I revealing my secrets to you all!?

border

Totems Hard Mode Checkpoint

Come get the checkpoint, I should be around for at least 10 more minutes.

PSN border199x

Top Bottom