• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

ocean

Banned
I clipped your post to take less real estate but I definitely read it all :)

I would have continued to buy DLC to enhance the game and I wanted that DLC to incorporate all that Destiny had to offer. I agree that this is a game that requires expansion; it isn't like other console AAA games that I've played. For that reason I saw the former DLC packages to be necessary and I've been mostly happy with them. I fully planned to buy Destiny DLC for the foreseeable future for whatever Bungie decided to sell them for (within reason). Honestly, if they had stated from the beginning that they were going to sell DLC and have microtransactions for dances and stuff I most likely would have never gotten into the game. Yes I would love more dances but I would prefer if they were released in DLC. This just isn't a model that I want to support. I don't play f2p games either because of the nickle and dime aspect. I buy map packs for multiplayer games that I feel I'll get enjoyment from. I do not ever buy costumes or additional characters (Assassin's Creed). I think the Thriller dance is amazing. I am pretty sure there will be many more and the price will keep rising and people will continue to buy them to collect them all.

And yes, I still have the "whole game" that I bought but we all know that Destiny is different. It is a game that lives and breathes and the DLC is supposed to "expand" the universe. I'm happy with the money I've spent and yes, I had a blast. But introducing Tess and silver has changed what I expect from the game. I worry that since Bungie can make as much money from Tess that we simply won't see meaty DLC packs. TTK is so good because there was such an outcry over TDB and even HoW. But if the community is ok spending $20-$40 for dances and hats then there is no hurry for Bungie to create more actual content. Granted, this is getting into the realm of conjecture but I've seen nothing concrete that says otherwise.

I really don't know if I'm explaining this well or if I've answered all of your questions. Basically I understand how economics and capitalism work. I understand and fully accept that Bungie and Activision are all about making as much money as possible (and with as little input as possible). But the other side of that equation is that the consumer has to feel they are getting their moneys worth or the whole thing falls apart. At this point I feel like I am at odds with the rest of the Destiny community. They will keep reinforcing or supporting the new financial model and I will not. That's why I'm not playing as much.
I think I understand. And if I do, I agree in a way. I'll explain:

I would rather pay US$20 or US$40 every 3-4 months for a steady pipeline of maps, missions, Strikes etc. I like this game and I want more of it. US$40 every few months isn't really a significant amount of money for anyone with basically any kind of disposable income to spend on something they like.

I fear this micro transaction model will make them just as much money without offering us a semi predictable content pipeline. Since the game launched, this is the first time we don't have any clue about the upcoming roadmap. And I don't like that. Specially considering the fact that whatever we get by December, it will almost certainly be less substantial than TDB was (amazing lol).

Even sadder: my May, I doubt we'll have gotten as much as we had last year in a similar timeframe with Expansions I and II. All told, from launch to May the game added 3 Strikes, a Raid, the Arena, and like 8 PvP maps, along with a fair bit of story missions.

On the flip side, only 7 Exotic weapons were introduced. I see Bungie beating that in Y2, so there's that.

So I'm totally on board with you in terms of being a bit bummed about the outlook. But the thing is, I don't think micro transactions are necessarily to blame. I mean Y1 would have been, by and large, the same thing if dances had been sold from the very beginning. Even if you assume the worst - using none of the money to squash bugs quicker - the game wouldn't have been worse than it was.

Even with micro transactions, we'd still buy DLC expansions if they were sold in Y2. I think it's reasonable to assume that they won't be on sale not because Tess hauls enough cash (there's no such thing as enough cash) but rather because they can't produce the content.

Blame the dev tools, publisher expiration son D2 or whatever. But I think if Bungie had the means to sell us Expansion IV and V or whatever for US$20 a piece with roughly TDB/HoW amount of content they'd make millions. Again. But they won't because they can't - with or without Michael Jackson's finest moves.

So everything seems to suggest their efforts of making Destiny 2 the game they want it to be require a less strict roadmap for Destiny, which I think is a shame. But in order to drip feed us some amount of content in the meantime, they'll use optional cosmetics as a revenue stream. Which is probably the best solution for them - since it's cash flow - and for us, since it means some amount of content being produced.

But this delved us deep into the specifics of a game dug neck deep in issues and drama which we only half know about via leaks and rumors.

I'll say this food for thought has helped me identify the thought process for how MTs can be bothersome for some. Am I correct in understanding it's a variation of the "slippery slope"? As in, "it's not so much that I mind this but rather what I assume it might lead to later".

Kyoufu

There isn't really any room for debate over whether D2 (or whatever it's called) will have the old content. Bungie didn't spend half a decade building those planets just to get rid of them after a couple of years.

Having the current planets doesn't necessarily mean having the current content attached to them. We could be going to new places on said planets, like that Chicago area they showed in concept art.

Klyka

Banned
Jason Schreier just posted this in the gaming thread about DLC:

While of course it's possible that Activision/Bungie decide to charge for those smaller updates rather than release them for free, as far as I know we're not going to see a bigger expansion until next fall. From what I've heard from people there about their tech/content pipeline, it'd be impossible for them to do a substantial DLC pack before then.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=184072205&postcount=166

someday

Banned
I'll say this food for thought has helped me identify the thought process for how MTs can be bothersome for some. Am I correct in understanding it's a variation of the "slippery slope"? As in, "it's not so much that I mind this but rather what I assume it might lead to later"
I agree with what you said about the dev tools. They were going to have a problem releasing good DLC packs regardless and I think D2 can be a lot stronger if they spend the next year working solely on it.

As for your question, yes and no. Charging for dances meant that I would never have one because I will not buy them, especially for the prices so far. That's on me and I accept that but it was still a pretty big bummer. The possible "slippery slope" issue would be them selling shaders, sparrows, and other things that so far are mostly dropped in-game. I obviously hate this idea but I've seen plenty of posts, here some but mostly on Reddit, saying that they would be fine with Tess selling these things because they are cosmetic. They don't affect the game but they have always been things that we loved getting. So far Bungie isn't selling this stuff but even if they do most apparently wouldn't have a problem with it. So just because things are considered cosmetic doesn't mean that selling them won't change the game. It does but we all have different lines in the sand. To me it's less that Bungie will definitely sell this stuff but more that the community won't mind if and/or when they do.

Edit - I'm going to class now so if you have any more questions I'll answer later.

Mindlog

Going into my last Rift match.
9QGnMy2.jpg

mehKxcA.jpg

cCJyzQf.jpg

Namikaze1

311 boots and 303 gauntlets. -___-

Why couldn't it have been switched around? I need the HM gauntlets and helmet for the shader!

Top Bottom