• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

stb

Oldschool would just be everything at 310 (even in HM).

Fair point. Quasi-oldschool.

EDIT: I guess I just meant that the raid items should drop at whatever the max attainable level/light is. The fact that the raid level is the same level as that max, now, is beside the point. I guess I should have qualified the NM drop being 310 isnt "oldschool".

The weird thing is that some weapons take more motes than others to level up. Using a primary telemetry with First Curse leveled up twice as fast compared to using a scout telemetry with a legendary scout rifle. Why is that? Do legendary weapons just level up slower than exotics with motes across the board? Do primary telemetries work better than specific weapon telemetries? Did the primary telemetry and scout telemetry miraculously stack? Whhhhhhhyyyy?!?!???

Afrocious

If you don't want to farm for a gun, then don't farm for the gun.

Just play the game as you would. Why is someone entitled to every gun in the game?

What's the point of loot drops if not for something to chase after? If you just gave me every gun in the game, what the hell is the point of chasing anything?

Using the same logic, someone can say, "If you don't want to do the quest for a gun, then don't do the quest." I still haven't done the Chaperone or The First Curse quests because I don't feel like dealing with the PvP requirements.

Still not seeing why guns need to be hidden under layers of RNG.

LTWood12

The weird thing is that some weapons take more motes than others to level up. Using a primary telemetry with First Curse leveled up twice as fast compared to using a scout telemetry with a legendary scout rifle. Why is that? Do legendary weapons just level up faster than exotics with motes across the board? Do primary telemetries work better than specific weapon telemetries? Did the primary telemetry and scout telemetry miraculously stack? Whhhhhhhyyyy?!?!???

I swear it feels like exotic weapons level a lot faster than legendary weapons.

If you don't want to farm for a gun, then don't farm for the gun.

Just play the game as you would. Why is someone entitled to every gun in the game?

What's the point of loot drops if not for something to chase after? If you just gave me every gun in the game, what the hell is the point of chasing anything?

Entitled might be the most overused and misused word in this thread. Did you even read my post? I specifically said people should have to WORK for the drops, that there is a chase involved. But make the progress more consistent and predictable, so that people have reassurance of their effort being rewarded. Not RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG where one kill might give you a god roll and 100 kills might give you nothing.

There is a happy middle ground between "entitled free loot for everyone herpderp" and "boring possibly infinite grind with no reward in sight."

Bradach

I think I've used motes for only a couple faction rank ups. Maybe I'll just buy a bunch of ammo synth and use that. I'm always teetering on max glimmer.

Great idea! I was going to use ammo synths to level up DO later so I can get a hung jury. I thought I'd have to use strange coins to replace the synths though.

I hardly use any glimmer and am basically always at 25k. I'll blow 20k on synths later and see how far that gets me!

LTWood12

But won't everything through the start of the game get easier then, now that I will be lvl. 25 instead of lvl. 1?

Yes but not because you're level 25, but because being level 25 means better gear will be dropping for you than if you were starting at level 1. Your character level plays no part in your attack or defense, it only opens up better gear for you to equip.

zewone

Using the same logic, someone can say, "If you don't want to do the quest for a gun, then don't do the quest." I still haven't done the Chaperone or The First Curse quests because I don't feel like dealing with the PvP requirements.

Because a loot drop game without hard to obtain loot is boring.

I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion, but I think Xur, 3oC, and the TTK exotic quests are a huge mistake. I know that they wanted to make it easier for all people to get items, but when I play a loot game I don't want to have such easy solutions for drops.

phen0m24

Lol I'm the worst. Was offline all last night, getting caught up on the thread now. Will PM in just a minute!

Wow this page top sucks.

While that page top does indeed inhale forcefully :p (but could count as a top of the page confession) you do not. No worries bro!

Myman.gif

PvP requirements? I'm out.gif

The idea that a Grasp of Malok is hard to obtain is ridiculous. Someone could get a god roll on their very first kill. What's hard about that? It's a fucking grind for anyone but the lucky few. Not hard.

But won't everything through the start of the game get easier then, now that I will be lvl. 25 instead of lvl. 1?

Not really. You'll be able to wear higher light gear though, so probably won't be underlevelled for anything. You can't really overlevel anyway. If you have a crap loadout, doesn't matter what level you are.

I swear it feels like exotic weapons level a lot faster than legendary weapons.

They do. It's like that every time.
The thing is that some legendaries level up faster than others too. Maybe it has to do with whether they're primary, special or heavy. I haven't paid much attention to that.

Because killing Omingul in a hallway then suiciding doesn't get boring fast? Who cares if everyone can get everything by working towards consistent and predictable goals? It doesn't bother me one bit if people who enjoy the game like I do can get the same items I have. I'm not a special snowflake.

Compounding a low drop rate on top of a low chance for good perks just makes it not worth the trouble.

They really need to do something different for Grasp and like weapons that can drop with perks.

Like a Weekly Crucible Quest where it's not some ridiculous grind but maybe more along the lines of:

Complete 12 crucible bounties
Play 2 Rift Matches
Play 2 Clash Matches
Play 2 Rumble Matches
Play 2 Control Matches
Play 2 Skirmish Matches

10 Total matches, the bounties will basically be there.

All the getting "wins" bounties/quests just get old and let us play more "casually" to try to get these PvP tiered guns, especially since crucible drops are garbage as is. Doesn't something along these lines make more sense? Than grinding the same strike over and over again or whatever the weekly crucible grind is that rewards "nightfall" gear? We need a weekly quest to be rewarded with PvP-type weapons.

The drop perks will be RNG as is so this won't guarantee you a god-tier pvp loadout.

But maybe there could also be a harder-earned quest that gives you a higher chance or something.

LTWood12

I'm sure it's an unpopular opinion, but I think Xur, 3oC, and the TTK exotic quests are a huge mistake. I know that they wanted to make it easier for all people to get items, but when I play a loot game I don't want to have such easy solutions for drops.

Using said loot is much more fun to me and than rolling a dice over and over. Different strokes I guess.

zewone

Entitled might be the most overused and misused word in this thread. Did you even read my post? I specifically said people should have to WORK for the drops, that there is a chase involved. But make the progress more consistent and predictable, so that people have reassurance of their effort being rewarded. Not RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG where one kill might give you a god roll and 100 kills might give you nothing.

There is a happy middle ground between "entitled free loot for everyone herpderp" and "boring possibly infinite grind with no reward in sight."

"Working" for a drop in TTK is no work at all. It's usually just doing one or two missions and strike.

The biggest problem has been grinding warsats for Sleeper because that involved some RNG.

I agree that grinding for Grasps and getting a crap roll stinks. The drop is hard enough to get, the rolls on it should be a smaller table of random perks like the Trials guns, which only have one random perk.

Imago Loop with Spray and Play and Army of one. I would say FML but honestly I have more fun with the people I play with them chasing rolls.

E92 M3

I only play Destiny because it's such a good shooter - loot comes second. Secondly, having RNG for loot can get very annoying for the everyone that isn't Nami or Kadey. Those two get everything with perfect rolls. I wish Destiny was more like Reaper of Souls, where we just get shit thrown at us left and right. Make all of the loot good and give us a ton of options. Right now, the game is on the the stingy side.

Destiny + Reaper of Souls would be video game heaven.

PuMa

I think, for some people (me included), there's a certain thrill to getting a reward through straight up RNG. It can be like winning the lottery sometime. "Do x-y-z" quests don't really excite me, and when I get the reward at the end, it doesn't feel special.

Kyoufu

I only play Destiny because it's such a good shooter - loot comes second. Secondly, having RNG for loot can get very annoying for the everyone that isn't Nami or Kadey. Those two get everything with perfect rolls. I wish Destiny was more like Reaper of Souls, where we just get shit thrown at us left and right. Make all of the loot good and give us a ton of options. Right now, the game is on the the stingy side.

It would be great, yes, but PVP is holding PVE back from Reaper of Souls level of loot.

Shito

The idea that a Grasp of Malok is hard to obtain is ridiculous. Someone could get a god roll on their very first kill. What's hard about that? It's a fucking grind for anyone but the lucky few. Not hard.
Yuuup.
ToM, Black Spindle or the exotic swords are "hard" to obtain; getting a Grasp (with a good roll or not) just takes time, and nothing else.
People often mistake something taking time to obtain as being "hard".

zewone

TTK gives out exotics like candy and there's also guns like Hung Jury readily available. Plenty of guns for you to obtain and use.

The fact that people are complaining about 1-3 guns that require farming to get is baffling to me.

E92 M3

It would be great, yes, but PVP is holding PVE back from Reaper of Souls level of loot.

Yep, as soon as they separate PVP and PVE, Destiny will take off like crazy. Even more so than it is now.

TTK gives out exotics like candy and there's also guns like Hung Jury readily available. Plenty of guns for you to obtain and use.

The fact that people are complaining about 1-3 guns that require farming to get it baffling to me.

Farming doesn't bother me, just saying that complete RNG for exotics can get very annoying for some. In the same notion, Gjallarhorn videos only existed because of it.

deadduck

Hard to obtain does not have to mean 0.5% drop off one boss.

It'll be easy for some, I want hard stuff. I want quests that only open up after beating Oryx, gimmie hard stuff (ooooh) not boring low rate of random drop.

zewone

Yuuup.
ToM, Black Spindle or the exotic swords are "hard" to obtain; getting a Grasp (with a good roll or not) just takes time, and nothing else.
People often mistake something taking time to obtain as being "hard".

Nothing is hard to obtain then. As the guns you listed just take time.

Afrocious

I think it's a bit more than that.

In RoS, I was given a damn sword that summoned a ghost that was on fire that acted as a tank. It was insanely random and I loved it.

Also, RoS dropped loot like no-one's business. On top of that, all your trash went toward better stuff.

Even without the hackneyed PvP/PvE marriage that Destiny has, RoS handles loot better.

Hey Destiny-GAF,

I'm working on the No Time To Explain quest and I'm at the step where I need to do Vault of Glass. I've never actually done the raid before, but apparently I can still do the "Easy" version to advance the quest. Would anyone be down to try to help me through it? Is it possible to do with 4 or so 280+ guardians?

Yeah you can easily do the normal version with 4 players.

Have they said when the Crucible rewards patch is coming? I really don't want to start the Crucible weekly questline up until that happens.

zewone

Hard to obtain does not have to mean 0.5% drop off one boss.

It'll be easy for some, I want hard stuff. I want quests that only open up after beating Oryx, gimmie hard stuff (ooooh) not boring low rate of random drop.

Beating Oryx isn't hard though.

Different strokes, different folks.

Yep, as soon as they separate PVP and PVE, Destiny will take off like crazy. Even more so than it is now.

Yea I'm torn between this. It's pretty cool taking your PvE earned gun into PvP and playing with it. But probably for the best, they need to do this. Completely seperate and start earning your PvP stuff. I'd like to see the pros/cons to this. They clearly have the ability to nerf/buff for pve vs pvp so it's not as bad.

What they also need to do is Design maps for 3v3 and maps for 6v6. Honestly, 4v4 would be freaking PERFECT. I need some 4v4 in my life. I know the infatuation with 3 but if you can have doubles, you can have 4v4.

Homeboyd

My vote is the oldschool level:
NM drops 310
HM drops 320

Let the min/maxing come from perks. Recursive RNG can fuck off.
This. I won't be returning to Destiny until they do this. Which they'll never do, so RIP. (They'd also have to get rid of 0 drops from a boss being a thing)

LTWood12

Nothing is hard to obtain then. As the guns you listed just take time.

Black Spindle was really fucking hard for me. I spent six hours the first week. Finally getting it was awesome because it had been hard. It felt like a test and I passed (the next week). I overcame something to obtain it.

Kyoufu

In RoS, I was given a damn sword that summoned a ghost that was on fire that acted as a tank. It was insanely random and I loved it.

So we agree then? :)

A gun with a perk that summons a ghost or a clone would probably be OP or something in Destiny's PVP. :p

LTWood12

Also, RoS dropped loot like no-one's business. On top of that, all your trash went toward better stuff.

Even without the hackneyed PvP/PvE marriage that Destiny has, RoS handles loot better.

Now I want to go back and play Reaper of Souls. I never even beat the second act, but I loved everything I played up to that point.

Black Spindle was really fucking hard for me. I spent six hours the first week. Finally getting it was awesome because it had been hard. It felt like a test and I passed (the next week). I overcame something to obtain it.

Oh hello LT, you felt awesome about getting your hard earned item? Say hello to my little nerf gun

I really hope they do this at least by the time Destiny 2 releases. Have they by chance said why they aren't separated? Too much work for them or what?

Anyway someone should start a petition or a reddit thread or something so this can have a chance of happening.

Not really. People were running around with perfect roll gear in HoW and seemed to be OK with it. All the game needed was a balancing patch for the problematic exotics

Unless you're talking stuff so crazy it's unbalance-able and banned from pvp. I don't think destiny is the type of game to go full borderlands

So we agree then? :)

A gun with a perk that summons a ghost or a clone would probably be OP or something in Destiny's PVP. :p

I wish they would have a mission where you play alongside an NPC guardian. Early on when playing the campaign I thought for sure we would get to play with The Stranger in a mission but it never happened.

deadduck

Beating Oryx isn't hard though.

Different strokes, different folks.

The game itself isnt hard, but Oryx is the most challenging thing in the game and the culmination of everything you've done.

Or should the hardest (moat time consuming in this case) thing be grinding a gun off a boss from the old DLC?

Top Bottom