• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Nothing is hard to obtain then. As the guns you listed just take time.

ToM, Black Spindle, and Exotic Swords all have "difficult" content that needs to be completed. RNG on drops is just luck.

I mean, you could argue that T3 CoO, or clearing the boss room, or timing the knight death with the boss death aren't difficult per say but they're definitely a lot harder than clearing a normal strike.

Kyoufu

I really hope they do this at least by the time Destiny 2 releases. Have they by chance said why they aren't separated? Too much work for them or what?

Anyway someone should start a petition or a reddit thread or something so this can have a chance of happening.

Their design philosophy for Destiny is to keep things as consistent across all modes as possible. If your gun behaves one way in PVE then you should expect it to behave in the same fashion in PVP too.

I believe that's what World of Warcraft did/does too and I understand the reasoning behind it but PVP always holds back PVE loot because you can't ever get crazy for the sake of balance.

I think, for some people (me included), there's a certain thrill to getting a reward through straight up RNG. It can be like winning the lottery sometime. "Do x-y-z" quests don't really excite me, and when I get the reward at the end, it doesn't feel special.

Idk I'd say everyone here gets pretty happy about RNG doing something nice for them for once. Getting the Sleeper Simulant or The First Curse or even your exotic sword is never gonna compare to getting that long awaited Fatebringer or Gjallarohorn drop or whatever. Obviously not. Although I never had to wait for mine, I got both before I even knew how good they were.

Sure, it would have been nice to get the Zhalo Supercell from an engram, but RNG decided I needed a bunch of Monte Carlos and Suros Regimes instead. I was happy when Xur sold it. I was happy that Xur sold Ice Breaker back in Y1 because I never got one to drop for me almost the entirety of Y1. I eventually got it from the Trials Mercury chest in the last week or 2 of HoW. Sure, I would have been fucking thrilled at that drop had I never bought it, but it wouldn't even compare to the frustration of never having one.

RNG sucks.
And a W yesterday.

That too. ;)

I think it's a bit more than that.

In RoS, I was given a damn sword that summoned a ghost that was on fire that acted as a tank. It was insanely random and I loved it.

Also, RoS dropped loot like no-one's business. On top of that, all your trash went toward better stuff.

Even without the hackneyed PvP/PvE marriage that Destiny has, RoS handles loot better.

The insane random stuff is what Borderlands specializes in. Destiny does some of it. I wouldn't mind them going more in that route.

When I first heard about Destiny, I was so hyped. A Borderlands x Halo game combined?!

PuMa

Not really. People were running around with perfect roll gear in HoW and seemed to be OK with it. All the game needed was a balancing patch for the problematic exotics

Hmm, I dunno. I think a lot of people advocated against reforging, which was most of the issue there.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I still haven't done hard mode. I kind of just want to for the trophy. I know loot has been talked about before in regards to this raid, but I just wanna kill oryx in his ultimate form

Beating Oryx isn't hard though.

Different strokes, different folks.

e5YuU.gif

Shito

Nothing is hard to obtain then. As the guns you listed just take time.
ToM asks you to complete the raid, and then to complete a beefed up version of the hardest mission in the game : still harder than killing Omnigul on heroic a few hundred times.
Exotic Swords ask you to complete a 300 version of the darkblade strike, with a lot of shielded enemies, while juggling with a pesky knight (or two (or three)) before killing the boss: still harder than killing Omnigul on heroic a few hundred times.
Black Spindle's mission is hard as hell if you don't have exotic swords, and even then : still harder than killing Omnigul on heroic a few hundred times.

I felt accomplished getting my Black Spindle and exotic sword; there's no way in hell I am going to grind Omnigul for a tiny chance at a weapon, then hoping to have even more luck with the perks it rolls with. ^^

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Idk I'd say everyone here gets pretty happy about RNG doing something nice for them for once. Getting the Sleeper Simulant or The First Curse or even your exotic sword is never gonna compare to getting that long awaited Fatebringer or Gjallarohorn drop or whatever. Obviously not. Although I never had to wait for mine, I got both before I even knew how good they were.

Sure, it would have been nice to get the Zhalo Supercell from an engram, but RNG decided I needed a bunch of Monte Carlos and Suros Regimes instead. I was happy when Xur sold it. I was happy that Xur sold Ice Breaker back in Y1 because I never got one to drop for me almost the entirety of Y1. I eventually got it from the Trials Mercury chest in the last week or 2 of HoW. Sure, I would have been fucking thrilled at that drop had I never bought it, but it wouldn't even compare to the frustration of never having one.

RNG sucks.

That too. ;)
idk fig I was really happy about finally getting my sword fuck those farming quests lol. Still haven't done my other two swords because of it.

Kyoufu

PVP is the reason why you can't have Fusion Rifles like Pocket Infinity in PVE (without major nerfs of course).

Willing to bet my GAF and PSN account that a sci-fi game like Destiny will always struggle with sci-fi weapons that do sci-fi things because they'll be deemed too powerful in PVP.

zewone

Black Spindle was really fucking hard for me. I spent six hours the first week. Finally getting it was awesome because it had been hard. It felt like a test and I passed (the next week). I overcame something to obtain it.
Yes, Black Spindle has been my favorite exotic quest in TTK. It was actually really difficult that first week when we were all pretty under leveled. I got mine with one second left on the clock.

Now it's much easier since most people have gotten much better gear.
Idk I'd say everyone here gets pretty happy about RNG doing something nice for them for once. Getting the Sleeper Simulant or The First Curse or even your exotic sword is never gonna compare to getting that long awaited Fatebringer or Gjallarohorn drop or whatever.

Exactly. That's my whole point. I enjoy playing the game, so I don't have a problem doing the same content over and over again if there's a worthwhile carrot I'm chasing. The high of getting that drop can't be matched by "hey, go pick up Spinmetal for 2 hours and you can have this sword".

They've never acknowledged Crucible rewards (or lack of) have they? They said that Iron Banner drops were "bugged" nut not actual Crucible

No, they said IB drops were bugged because of a broader Crucible drop bug. I'm pretty sure.
Exactly. That's my whole point. I enjoy playing the game, so I don't have a problem doing the same content over and over again if there's a worthwhile carrot I'm chasing. The high of getting that drop can't be matched by "hey, go pick up Spinmetal for 2 hours and you can have this sword".

Eh, nobody here thinks the farming part of the sword quest is fun. Ridiculous comparison.

I was really looking forward to doing my first Hard Mode raid this weekend, but I have some friends who are finally ready for Normal raid so I'm going to sherpa them through instead.

Anyone else up for a King's Fall Normal raid on Friday night starting somewhere between 8 & 10 ET with two newbies?

PuMa

PVP is the reason why you can't have Fusion Rifles like Pocket Infinity in PVE (without major nerfs of course).

Willing to bet my GAF and PSN account that a sci-fi game like Destiny will always struggle with sci-fi weapons that do sci-fi things because they'll be deemed too powerful in PVP.

Resistance: FoM!!!!

Jabronium

I was really looking forward to doing my first Hard Mode raid this weekend, but I have some friends who are finally ready for Normal raid so I'm going to sherpa them through instead.

Anyone else up for a King's Fall Normal raid on Friday night starting somewhere between 8 & 10 ET with two newbies?

I'm down. PSN is Thrillho.

zewone

So you think Oryx is difficult?
ToM asks you to complete the raid, and then to complete a beefed up version of the hardest mission in the game : still harder than killing Omnigul on heroic a few hundred times.
Exotic Swords ask you to complete a 300 version of the darkblade strike, with a lot of shielded enemies, while juggling with a pesky knight (or two (or three)) before killing the boss: still harder than killing Omnigul on heroic a few hundred times.
Black Spindle's mission is hard as hell if you don't have exotic swords, and even then : still harder than killing Omnigul on heroic a few hundred times.

I felt accomplished getting my Black Spindle and exotic sword; there's no way in hell I am going to grind Omnigul for a tiny chance at a weapon, then hoping to have even more luck with the perks it rolls with. ^^

What I meant by Grasp being "hard" to obtain, I just meant the odds are not in your favor.

The content you listed isn't difficult (besides Spindle on the first week and Fear's Embrace but still soloable). Obviously Omnigul isn't difficult, but it's not guaranteed.

X-Frame

They've never acknowledged Crucible rewards (or lack of) have they? They said that Iron Banner drops were "bugged" nut not actual Crucible

They did say a bug that affected IB also has been affecting regular Crucible too, and that they hope to patch this before Thanksgiving, so within the next few weeks.

They also specifically said that the drop rate does not affect Trials, so they must have fixed it there prior to it being released or it never affected Trials in their build.

Afrocious

RNG wouldn't be a problem for me if the dropped stuff was good every now and then.

Unfortunately, most RNG stuff I get is trash or infusion material. I can't remember the last random legendary I got outside of doing Trials or KF that I kept.

zewone

No, they said IB drops were bugged because of a broader Crucible drop bug. I'm pretty sure.

Eh, nobody here thinks the farming part of the sword quest is fun. Ridiculous comparison.

and collecting 50 flakes and 45 shards was difficult or just time consuming?

Or doing all the Taken Wars mars missions for Petra?

eggydoo

Anyone happen to have daughters cp on KF NM I can bum off? Been trying to sherpa friends and this is where we left off last weekend.

Shito

What I meant by Grasp being "hard" to obtain, I just meant the odds are not in your favor.

The content you listed isn't difficult (besides Spindle on the first week and Fear's Embrace but still soloable). Obviously Omnigul isn't difficult, but it's not guaranteed.
Difficult =/= "takes time, patience and luck".
For a vast majority of the player base, the content I listed *is* difficult: it asks for other people to help you out, and you all have to pull your own weight.
If anything, with this in mind, the Black Spindle mission is probably too difficult (or "was", before we all got our sweet exotic swords).

You're a bit disconnected from what Destiny is to the majority of its player base who is less hardcore than we are. ^^
Completing the raid for the first time for a group of "casual" players IS difficult. It's not because we have it on farm status now that it suddenly makes the task of completing it for the first time "easy".

Not for me or my group, but I'm not so self-involved that I can't see the bigger picture. Nothing is hard for you in this game and that's great, but not everyone is you or me.

A Grasp of Malok is hard to obtain like winning the lottery is hard. It's not.
and collecting 50 flakes and 45 shards was difficult or just time consuming?

Or doing all the Taken Wars mars missions for Petra?

You'd have a point if that was the only part of the quest. But it's not. So your comparison is stupid. Grinding Omnigul is the same as one part of an exotic sword quest or ToM quest that everyone hates. You can't be serious here?

Yep.

https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=13797

"Last week, it was clear to us that you were frustrated by the Iron Banner reward drops, and rightly so! It turns out that, when we started digging into the issue, we uncovered a nasty bug that affected how Legendary drops happen throughout the Crucible, including Iron Banner.

We’re working hard to ensure that the next Iron Banner will work as intended, and be even better than before. These changes will make your entire Crucible career more rewarding. Once the final details are locked, we’ll be sure to share them with you. Thanks for all the feedback, and may the Lords of Iron reward your future bravery."

Did you quote the wrong person? Not sure what HoW has to do with Reaper of Souls. :p

I was speaking more to the pathway to your ideal loot. RoS completely showers you in gear till you get the setup you want and you can target the individual pieces you need if you don't come upon them naturally. On top of that you can enchant that loot (which is already abundant) to get closer to that perfect roll. So you don't even need a perfect roll. What's the pathway to ideal loot now? There isn't one, it's purely rng and stingy rng at that.

If say you wanted a perfect grasp of malok in D3, this is what you could do

1. RNG one that's perfect out of the box
2. Find one that's almost perfect and reroll the worst stat
3. Gamble one
4. Use the cube recipe to change a common pulse rifle into a legendary one and try for one
5. Reroll a grasp for another one (very expensive)

Maybe rerolling was too cheap but a system of progression needs to exist so people can feel like they're getting somewhere. D3 has all that stuff and the drop rate is crazy

zewone

Not for me or my group, but I'm not so self-involved that I can't see the bigger picture. Nothing is hard for you in this game and that's great, but not everyone is you or me.

A Grasp of Malok is hard to obtain like winning the lottery is hard. It's not.

You'd have a point if that was the only part of the quest. But it's not. So your comparison is stupid. Grinding Omnigul is the same as one part of an exotic sword quest or ToM quest that everyone hates. You can't be serious here?

Maybe I'm not using the word to describe obtaining a god roll Grasp that you like. It's not difficult to win the lotto. You buy a ticket and pick some numbers, but the odds are not in your favor. Which makes it unlikely you'll receive it. I'm okay with this. Perhaps having different avenues other than Omnigul so it didn't get so tedious and you could get it playing normally would help. Since as of now, it's not in the normal TTK strike rotation.

And regarding the comparison to the exotic quests. Getting a Boolean Gemini, Tlaloc, Ace of Spades, Sleeper Simulant, NTTE, etc. is not difficult.

They give you a checklist of missions and strikes to complete and once you're done it's handed to you.

I'm not saying that grinding for a Grasp and grinding for certain exotics are the same. My point is that neither is difficult, but one is not guaranteed. Which makes it less likely to obtain.

Namikaze1

Well I got First Curse earlier today. Felt like dismantling the damn thing. I just threw it in the vault right next to the Last Word.

I'm not sure this has been posted yet, but a Gamespot article said that Fallout 4's gunplay is inspired by Destiny:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-gunplay-modeled-after-destinys/1100-6431981/

Actually getting hyped about FO4 now.

Well, we know that the Josh Hamrick left Bungie for Bethesda, I'd hope he influenced better gunplay.

Need a 3rd if anyone wants to farm omnigul

I'm game. I'll be on in 1 minute. Do I need to brind anything special?

edit nevermind, I didn't realize you can possibly go for 6-8 hours and get 4 drops total and it might go to the same person. That's... ugly

Top Bottom