• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

I played some 6v6 for the crucible bounties and played like absolute shit since Tuesday. Shit is just not fun to me any more. Might just play Trials if I can be arsed but other than that I think my pvp career is over.

Kalentan

Heh... After playing Halo 5 and then switching to Destiny and doing the daily. I saw some enemies down beneath me and I had to stop myself from trying to jump and ground pound them. xD

I'm always down to do random pvp shiz, but I'l be heading out for the next 3 hours or so, so afterwards I'l give you a hand

I looked for you earlier but didn't see you online. Finished my Hunter so taking a break for a while now anyway. (Edit: 20 strange coins!!!)

Won the first 6 games then lost 2 straight (Rift) by being loaded in mid-game to losing teams and having every teammate go negative. Barely won the last game by the skin of our teeth but it was starting to make me rage out. So many scummy AFK'ers. It's weird how much I hate solo Crucible relative to how much I enjoy Crucible in a group.

I looked for you earlier but didn't see you online. Finished my Hunter so taking a break for a while now anyway. (Edit: 20 strange coins!!!)

Won the first 6 games then lost 2 straight (Rift) by being loaded in mid-game to losing teams and having every teammate go negative. Barely won the last game by the skin of our teeth but it was starting to make me rage out. So many scummy AFK'ers. It's weird how much I hate solo Crucible relative to how much I enjoy Crucible in a group.

I'll probably play crucible for weeklies in a bit here, I'd like to get an oryx kill in on my warlock for the artifact if anyone is interested, I can play any checkpoint prior.

It isn't weird at all. Solo crucible really sucks. No idea what your team mates are doing, if there's an objective you try to push it and there's never anyone else there, you get a nice multikill and no one ever pushes the advantage. Playing clash you're wiping up the other team, turn around and all your team mates are dead and the other team spawns next to you and you die.

Rumble is the only worthwhile mode if you don't have anyone to play with and even that suffers from the heavy ammo spawn completely ruining otherwise interesting games. More often than not whoever can secure one is gonna win unless they get super'd.

It isn't weird at all. Solo crucible really sucks. No idea what your team mates are doing, if there's an objective you try to push it and there's never anyone else there, you get a nice multikill and no one ever pushes the advantage. Playing clash you're wiping up the other team, turn around and all your team mates are dead and the other team spawns next to you and you die.

Rumble is the only worthwhile mode if you don't have anyone to play with and even that suffers from the heavy ammo spawn completely ruining otherwise interesting games. More often than not whoever can secure one is gonna win unless they get super'd.

i could tell you of a time when solo crucible was much more fun. lately, those stories have stopped...

Thanks!

Kind of bummed out now, I want to keep playing but the strikes are pretty lame now after doing the raid.

Doing the raid got me up to 297 light too, I'm guessing at this point the raid and Nightfall are the only things that are going to net me anything worthwhile. I'm thinking about starting a new character but the grind back up to 40 is a drag.

Yeah, the raids are definitely on their own level, the only things that keep me hooked with PvE. Honestly you're at the point where most people just run the NFall and raid each week, unless you happen to be a rare bird that also enjoys PvP. Maybe some Dailies, bounties, quests, strike playlists here or there but otherwise they play other games.

It's surprisingly easy/fast to level another character to "raid-ready" and then you just settle into the same raid+NFall weekly routine. Making an alt character of another class is lots of fun and gives variety to the game. Most regulars here have one of each class, but there's plenty of folks who like having their one and only character to worry about. Just don't let the initial grind scare you off if you're interested, it's not as bad as it seems.

Edit: Rawr gave some good leveling advice up above...

XenoRaven

I agree, the Dreadnaught Patrol is a huge improvement over year 1 Patrol areas. Lots of variety and secrets to find. Love all the mini-missions and bosses.

The only criticism I would give it is that it suffers from the same problems Patrol has always had. Ghost Towns. Public Events never really lived up to the initial reveal. There are times that you experience a fun fight with lots of random fireteams, but more often than not I have completed Public Events completely solo. Court of Oryx was another cool innovation plagued with the same issue.

Skywatch is the only place where it remotely lives up to its potential and in some cases exceeds it. It's one of the few places to reliably find random people in Patrol and can sometimes have crazy scenarios where you have a Public Event, Taken Invasion and "The enemies move against each other" simultaneously resulting in a huge clusterfuck of awesome. I happened to complete my Earth Warsat Public Event for the Sleeper Simulant quest in the middle of an Urzok raid with a handful of Blueberries while also fighting off the Taken Champion. It was crazy. Wish it was something that could be done elseswhere in the game on a semi-consistent basis.
I ended up getting Fallen Walker and Taken Zealot at the same time on Venus with two other people there and it was just insanity.

Owensboro

Well that was a pretty hilarious bunch of Heroic Oryx attempts. People kept D/Cing, getting solid black screens, ogre's would skate around the arena and the ship would just randomly pop into the middle. What makes it more hilarious is we almost pulled out one of our attempts. Good group everyone! Even if we couldn't down him.

The elusive Hard Mode Oryx kill still eludes me... Tomorrow?

Ken

Anyone hope they add a Helmet Vanity slot soon? With all these masks I would love to keep wearing...

I kind of doubt it? One of the selling points for Etheric Light was that it let you keep using your favorite looking purples, which seemed like an odd loop around just adding proper transmog.

Well that was a pretty hilarious bunch of Heroic Oryx attempts. People kept D/Cing, getting solid black screens, ogre's would skate around the arena and the ship would just randomly pop into the middle. What makes it more hilarious is we almost pulled out one of our attempts. Good group everyone! Even if we couldn't down him.

Yeah, that was one glitchy as fuck Oryx.

Shoutout to loki 16
We all wiped at warpriest except him.
Dude strait said fuck that shit.
Proceeds to whip out the hammer and wreck shit.
Team revival.
Warpriest dead.

Eludes me as well, got very close last night getting him down to final 25%, twice, but something would happen to cause a wipe each time. Gave up after numerous attempts. We also had a couple bizarre lag events.

GutZ31

300px-Grimoire_The_Speaker.jpg

“I could tell you of the great fun had a year ago…
There are many tales told throughout GAF to make salty DGAFers.
Lately, those tales have stopped.
Now...the DGAFers are salty anyway.”

coy

Spent 40 minutes on Warpriest then 1 shot Golgoroth, 2 for Daughters and 3 for Oryx. Sometimes you just gotta ride out the storm.

vctor182

Hunter master raid completed, thanks for the run guys! 4 nightstalkers and 2 sunsingers, Titan who?
Overall got good loot

308 shell
317 sniper
304 shotgun
305 fusion
315 legs
315 cloak
310 Don't Touch Me from chest
310 Zhalo from exotic engram

^
Yeah silly deaths at Warpriest but after the team clicked and combo the tethers we owned

If you do make a new character, save your engrams. Once your new character is level 40, transfer your engrams over and highest weapons over equip them, decrypt one at a time and equip the higher level stuff you get before you decrypt the next engram.

Will do, thanks. Think I'm going to start leveling a new character tomorrow. My current character is a hunter, not sure if I'll go Warlock or Titan. Titan seems kind of boring though.

Just had some crazy luck running a few strikes, did three strikes using a 3oC each one and got three exotics. Hereafter (which I already have so I just dismantled it for a shard), Telesto, and Fourth Horseman.

Latter two seem pretty cool, although Fourth Horseman eats up ammo like crazy. I did the daily Crucible match and it was pretty fun instantly killing anyone who got close to me.

I'm warming up to the hand cannon I got from the raid too, I was kind of bummed out at first since they're my least favorite category of primary but it does a ton of damage. I miss being able to fire into a mob with my Supercell and watch everything get fried, but it's nice having my secondary slot open for an exotic, and during the last strike I ran emptying a clip, firing a couple rounds with Telesto, and then switching back to a reloaded primary was pretty awesome.

Still hoping I can replace with an auto/ pulse/ scout rifle soon, but since it dropped with 310 attack that's probably not going to happen too soon.

Out 1

Spent 40 minutes on Warpriest then 1 shot Golgoroth, 2 for Daughters and 3 for Oryx. Sometimes you just gotta ride out the storm.

that Warpriest fight was silly. though when we clicked, we managed a perfect run: 2 relics, no deaths. for the 4th time in a row I got nothing from him. the rest of the loot was more than decent.

i could tell you of a time when solo crucible was much more fun. lately, those stories have stopped...

6v6 is kind of a mess with the new supers. Took the feeling of "Welp, Fist of Panic" and stretched it out over 15-30 seconds. Then they keep feeding each other since there are so many kills and orbs. My best is 8 kills in one Storm Trance lmao. That's a free super sitting on the ground. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a gigantic uptick in ability kills since TTK came out.

3v3 isn't too bad I'll admit

Is fears embrace (final level of ToM quest) soloable?

Most definitely. Tough but doable. Easier on Warlock due to self res but I did it on my Hunter as well.

Similar to Black Spindle where you need to clear the blights as soon as they spawn, then lower the boss' health until it hits the next add spawn trigger. Clear blights, repeat. I think the 3rd add spawn will include the Wizard you need to kill. Remember that you only have to kill the Wizard so prioritize that. You can die/wipe after its dead, you don't have to finish the mission.

Edit: soloing it is actually a super fun challenge imo. Cool mission.

Bradach

It is, but it can be pretty tough at the end, I finally got through it after 39 deaths.

That sounds painful! I think I'll wait til my raid group is on later.

Most definitely. Tough but doable. Easier on Warlock due to self res but I did it on my Hunter as well.

Similar to Black Spindle where you need to clear the blights as soon as they spawn, then lower the boss' health until it hits the next add spawn trigger. Clear blights, repeat. I think the 3rd add spawn will include the Wizard you need to kill. Remember that you only have to kill the Wizard so prioritize that. You can die/wipe after its dead, you don't have to finish the mission.

Thanks for the strategy. I'll keep that in mind later

I had a Primary Exotic Engram drop last night. Turned into Monte Carlo number 2 for me this year.

I've gotten 4 TLWs, 2 Monte Shardos, 2 Shardos Regimes, a Zhalo and a Hawkmoon. But those were all drops farming for HM KF infusion material, haven't gotten a primary since HM launched.

Chest engrams for days here.

It's funny because I actually want one more chest that actually decrypts into a Hunter Alpha Lupi. I've gotten more Titan Lupis than you can shake a stick at and multiples of all 4 Warlock chests but only one Hunter. It has pure intellect + sniper ammo + solar armor so I want to keep it for whenever I play Gunslinger but Bladedancer is still my main so I wanna roll an intellect-sniper-arc one.

There's nothing else for me to do in Destiny but min/max my Trials load outs. Pulse reload-grenade throw gauntlets, sniper ammo-elemental armor chests, rocket ammo-last hope or second wind boots. Don't care much about most helmet perks for PvP :-/

That sounds painful! I think I'll wait til my raid group is on later.

Use a high impact sniper on Oryx to quickly lower his health and then just go ham on blights and adds. Once the wizard appears, just let loose with sword and super. It's difficult to solo, but with the right equipment, you should be able to do it.

Sunsinger with Radiant Skin, full Discipline and Praxic Fire can clear out adds and blights so quickly it isn't even funny.
I completed it solo using my Arclock. Transcendance helps coz of health recovery and the extended duration of the super.
I'm guessing Defenders, Sunbreakers and nightstalkers should find it easy too.

Bradach

Use a high impact sniper on Oryx to quickly lower his health and then just go ham on blights and adds. Once the wizard appears, just let loose with sword and super. It's difficult to solo, but with the right equipment, you should be able to do it.

Sunsinger with Radiant Skin, full Discipline and Praxic Fire can clear out adds and blights so quickly it isn't even funny.
I completed it solo using my Arclock. Transcendance helps coz of health recovery and the extended duration of the super.
I'm guessing Defenders, Sunbreakers and nightstalkers should find it easy too.
Thanks! I'm on my lock so I'll go with the sunsinger/ praxic.
It's so close I can almost touch that touch of malice :p

ocean

Banned
What's the point of legendary marks after your light level is past 280?
Is it just to buy weapons you haven't scored through RNG?

Also, the Gunsmith's exotic apparently is only 280. Should I bother getting it? I'm not getting enough 300+ weapons to justify infusing them into low light weapons
Because Light level is absolutely irrelevant in determining whether a weapon or armor is good or not. Light you can infuse. Stats and perks you're stuck with.

Stuff you can buy from vendors can be really good. In fact, vendors offer weapons which on average perform as well or better than King's Fall weapons with the added perk of not looking absolutely fucking disgusting. Stuff to check out:

- Hung Jury (Dead Orbit scout Rifle). Nothing in particular is special. But it looks great, is super stable, has firefly and triple tap. Probably the most popular go-to primary for basically any content in PvE right now.
- 1,000 Yard Stare (Vanguard Sniper). Perfect PvE roll at the vendor on a sniper with fantastic all around stats.
- Hawksaw (Crucible Pulse rifle). The preferred choice in PvP of most competitive players right now, great stock roll.
- The Vertigo (FWC Rocket Launcher): this is exactly the roll you want on a RL, no need to look elsewhere
- Ruin Wake (Crucible Machine gun). Just fantastic.

Then there's the armor. Look around and you can build a setup which suits your play style. Like for instance if you run shotguns and Sunbreaker subclass in Crucible as your Titan, you can grab the New Monarchy chest piece (extra shotgun ammo + extra armor when using a solar subclass).

You can also invest in all-important looks, buying stuff which looks good like Speaker class items or a fully matched vendor set.

Shito

- Hung Jury (Dead Orbit scout Rifle). Nothing in particular is special. But it looks great, is super stable, has firefly and triple tap. Probably the most popular go-to primary for basically any content in PvE right now.
I find that, when speaking about the Hung Jury, people always mention firefly and triple tap, forgetting to add that extended mag is what makes triple tap really shine on this weapon.
It makes of this gun a real boss killer...

ocean

Banned
I find that, when speaking about the Hung Jury, people always mention firefly and triple tap, forgetting to add that extended mag is what makes triple tap really shine on this weapon.
It makes of this gun a real boss killer...
I go for full stability instead since I very rarely use primary ammo on a boss anyways. The max stability makes the thing feel so damn great I'll take an earlier reload happily in exchange

Shito

I go for full stability instead since I very rarely use primary ammo on a boss anyways. The max stability makes the thing feel so damn great I'll take an earlier reload happily in exchange
Nah, maxing stability is useless on a scout rifle, the thing is already damn stable and it doesn't shoot fast enough to justify going for it.
You should give extended mag a try. :)

ocean

Banned
Nah, maxing stability is useless on a scout rifle, the thing is already damn stable and it doesn't shoot fast enough to justify going for it.
You should give extended mag a try. :)
I have! Max stability doesn't increase the weapon's performance since sustaining crits is possible without it.

But the gun *feels* better when it's max stable, and looks/feel are ultimately the only things I consider :)

Top Bottom