• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Carbonox

Meanwhile, 3oC won't stop giving me weapon engrams.

Bungie needs to open up 320 exotics. Don't want anymore 310 crap =P

How have you been so lucky with them? I've done so many strikes from start to finish and must have used like 30 3oC's and got 2 engrams total. What's your secreeeeeeeeet.

noomi

KB&M for Destiny? How does that work? I've heard such things were possible but never knew details. How does it compare to a controller? I feel like this would be frowned upon but I don't know if it's really a distinct advantage.

There are some third party devices that somehow plug into the PS4 and then let you use a mouse and keyboard. Frowned upon by the competitive community since they feel it gives you an unfair advantage.

Doesn't translate over very well unfortunately. There is mouse delay, aim assist is too strong, and a pain in the butt to setup.

Let me see if I can find a link to it....

Yup... here: http://xim4.com

Here's is one officially licensed by Sony, was supposed to be out in time for Black Ops 3 but it doesnt look like it ever actually was available for purchase.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZUNOSFU/

ethomaz

Banned
How have you been so lucky with them? I've done so many strikes from start to finish and must have used like 30 3oC's and got 2 engrams total. What's your secreeeeeeeeet.
I got avg. of one Engram each 5 coins used.

In POE it was way faster too... like one Engram each 3-4 coins.

Every special engram I've ever had drop save for one has been invective. The one was a 4th Horseman. I've probably rolled 7 of them.

My last Hard raid I pulled an invective out of the piston chest. Then my exotic engram I already had from golgy turned into Invective!
But yea, 9/10 turned into invective and I think I had 1 turn into Hereafter.

ethomaz

Banned
How many did you use a pop? 1 coin? Any strike?

I feel like I'm doing something wrong...:lol
Before boss...

Like I said in POE I got even faster just pop the coin when the boss animation finished.

PS. My only issue was that the Exotic Engrams are giving repeatness lol well Exotic Shads (the last three was gears I already had).

Woah, really?

Yep, he'll let me know if he changes his mind but I don't foresee that happening. He seems burned out on Destiny in general but PvP especially. Dislikes the new meta as much or more than anyone and laggy Trials was the final nail in the coffin. He has such high standards for his level of play that I don't think he's interested in working to excel at a gameplay style he doesn't enjoy. Especially when Halo 5 seems to be hitting all the right notes, from movement to gunplay to game modes to dedicated servers. He's still doing reset raids but H5 is where his focus/interest is now.

Yep, he'll let me know if he changes his mind but I don't foresee that happening. He seems burned out on Destiny in general but PvP especially. Dislikes the new meta as much or more than anyone and laggy Trials was the final nail in the coffin. He has such high standards for his level of play that I don't think he's interested in working to excel at a gameplay style he doesn't enjoy. Especially when Halo 5 seems to be hitting all the right notes, from movement to gunplay to game modes to dedicated servers. He's still doing reset raids but H5 is where his focus/interest is now.

I can't fault him. Watching you, Unstable, and Wicked play Trails every Friday during HoW was a real treat. At the very least, I hope Bungie fixes the lag. It's starting to become just a thing in normal PvP. "Oh, we're loosing? Yup, they have a few red bars. Sigh."

E92 M3

This is going to be Bungie's biggest test for retaining a population. If Destiny can survive Halo 5, Black Ops 3 and Fallout 4, then it can survive anything.

This is going to be Bungie's biggest test for retaining a population. If Destiny can survive Halo 5, Black Ops 3 and Fallout 4, then it can survive anything.
An early December expansion would have helped. People will leave for those games but are more likely to come back if something like Gjallarhorn Year Two is available (expansion only, time-gated, RNG drop).

That's a shame. Liked watching him play.

ocean

Banned
KB&M for Destiny? How does that work? I've heard such things were possible but never knew details. How does it compare to a controller? I feel like this would be frowned upon but I don't know if it's really a distinct advantage.

Sounds good. I'll shoot Wicked a PSN message and see what he wants to do. His Gaf account was approved but I haven't seen him post yet...
You remember that really cool video from the other day with a Nightstalker dodging and TLWing a bunch of guys in Trials, an amazing 1v3 clutch?

Well I tuned into their stream and apparently it was done using XIM for KB/M. There's a bit of input lag to be considered and the amount of aim assistance becomes way more pronounced when using a mouse. So I'd imagine there's a bit of a learning curve and it might make you play a little worse for a while.

But the same is true of going Jumper. It'll take a bit to get used to it but once you do, you gain a significant edge in terms of precision movement and aim. How big? Don't know. Can't really imagine this game without a controller but at the end of the day it's still a shooter and aiming with a mouse will still shit over any controller.

Definitely uncool imo though.

Kyne

bah. I think I need to expand my playgroup in Destiny.. which is an odd thing to say because right now I have more people to play with than I've ever had.

I used to PVP for fun, but pvp with blueberries in the new meta is not fun at all. The TTK on PRs may be short but it's still a midrange meta overall. With handcannons (TLW specifically) getting multi-kills and controlling the area was much easier/quicker.

Basically I can't carry like I used to. Teamshots are a thing that is almost required for good zone control.

LFG people who still 'enjoy' pvp.

I think with Battlefront coming out I'm going to be a lot more casual about what I do on Destiny. I played the beta and even though I didn't think it was that great at least it's something different. :\

bah. I think I need to expand my playgroup in Destiny.. which is an odd thing to say because right now I have more people to play with than I've ever had.

I used to PVP for fun, but pvp with blueberries in the new meta is not fun at all. The TTK on PRs may be short but it's still a midrange meta overall. With handcannons (TLW specifically) getting multi-kills and controlling the area was much easier/quicker.

Basically I can't carry like I used to. Teamshots are a thing that is almost required for good zone control.

I think with Battlefront coming out I'm going to be a lot more casual about what I do on Destiny. I played the beta and even though I didn't think it was that great at least it's something different. :\

Saddness! I wish Scouts stood out more. I remember your girl rocking that Mida well in pre 2.0 Trials.

Lnkn52

If Unstable isn't streaming trials, I think it's time for the Doctor to reveal itself.

flkraven

I just have made a habit of always having a 3oC running. The second I log in I pop one. Every time I feel like I may have killed an ultra, I check to see if the buff wore of. If it did, I pop another one. Some days you get a bunch, some days you don't.

On reset day I popped 6 3oC and I got 4 engrams + a 310 zhalo dropped from Oryx.

Afrocious

Eh, I'm looking for a PvP game too. Uncharted 4 might be it for me considering how well I took to Uncharted 2 and, after a ton of patches, 3.

I'll play with you in Destiny PvP. I want to get better at it, but like you say, playing with BBs is annoying and now lag is getting worse.

Dunno if we're friends on PSN, but mine is Afrodeeziyak. I'm at work atm.

E92 M3

An early December expansion would have helped. People will leave for those games but are more likely to come back if something like Gjallarhorn Year Two is available (expansion only, time-gated, RNG drop).

I am sure Bungie will do something to attract people. For one, they can make some positive changes that favor the community such as NF getting faction rep bonus back and a guaranteed source of strange coins.

Afrocious

My big thing about PvP is that I find it kinda boring, which is weird since there's space magic and stuff. I think it's because my friend who I played hundred of hours of PvP in other games doesn't have a PS4 and I haven't really found anyone to mesh with yet like that in this game.

I mean, I have a regular group of folks I do my reset raids with, but outside of that - nothing else. I have no one to laugh with or get mad with or anything :/. And when folks do get mad at Destiny for whatever reason, it's not fun because I feel these people cross the line taking the game far seriously than it should be taken.

Though I will admit, when folks get mad at this game, it's pretty tame compared to how I get at times - but I've been through anger management and stuff so

I am sure Bungie will do something to attract people. For one, they can make some positive changes that favor the community such as NF getting faction rep bonus back and a guaranteed source of strange coins.
Hopefully the fabled November patch has a great deal of thought behind it...

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I get an exotic usually every five uses of the Three of Coins. I only redeem one each time I never use multiple in one go. I do level 36 strikes and pop one at the beginning of each strike while in orbit.

Yep, he'll let me know if he changes his mind but I don't foresee that happening. He seems burned out on Destiny in general but PvP especially. Dislikes the new meta as much or more than anyone and laggy Trials was the final nail in the coffin.

I understand this completely. I'm in the same situation (as are a lot of my clanmates), haven't even turned on my PS4 in 4 days which might be a PR in my case. In hindsight, I've depended too much on Destiny and didn't enjoy other games. Luckily, Fallout is coming out next week.

GRIP

I pop one at the start of each strike. I would have thought this would be fine but regardless of drop rates, 2 engrams in 30 coins is a bit dumb and not right.

Yeah, that seems to be the intended use (popping them for strikes). Not really sure why your drop rate is so low unless you usually plow through the strikes before the drop buff comes into effect. Also, I think some of the strike bosses don't drop exotics so that might have something to do with it.

I still just go to the Draksis mission on venus a few times throughout my play sessions and seem to get a pretty consistent drop rate (usually 1 for every 5-6 I pop).

ocean

Banned
Before the year is over, I expect:

- Christmas Tower decorations and emotes. Maybe a Festival style event but probably not. Get hyped, I'd love some new dance moves.

- An economy update which does not meaningfully address our misgivings and whose rationale completely contradicts, once again, their alleged intentions on our play style

- A few weapon balance tweaks nobody asked for while completely ignoring the glaring issues of Pulse range / flinch, HC accuracy, shotgun non-precision impact and sniper aim assistance. Because reasons

- A few map rotation movements (___ will now be in this playlist, ______ will leave the playlist). Nobody will notice.

- "New" Exotic armor we already know about and have seen footage of will be made available

- "oh snap we just noticed there was a bug stopping the new crucible shaders and ships from you know existing in game, fixed now"

- some "working as intended but we'll work hard to make it better" cop out on Trials being laggy as shit because they dropped their one good decision of making it strict connection based

- some mention of quitters being supervised or looked into but zero punishment for fucking the game up for the rest of us (no bans, no cooldown on matchmaking, no separate quitter lobby, nothing). But I'm confident they'll at least look into it so rest assured, they'll look, get hyped.

Happy Y2 guardians

I'm really let down by the Trials changes. These are my impressions from watching GAF and reddit for the past week.

Luke made the point that a lot of us raiders are having problems, but that we're the 1% of the 1%, implying the system is set up for everyone, not just us. But I feel like the Trials changes were made for the 1% of the 1%. Everyone I see liking the Trials changes seems to be someone who was already consistently making it to the Lighthouse in Year One. They like how it's sweatier and not a guarantee. But for those of us who didn't make it to the Lighthouse 3x, every week, like me, well, it feels like the rug got yanked out from under me.

I'd say I'm a top 20% PvP guy. I got carried to the Lighthouse Year 1, but I honestly felt that if I kept my head down and practiced and learned I could go back again without a carry. Now the Lighthouse feels an order of magnitude harder. There are guys bragging on r/CruciblePlaybook about gatekeeping and being the final boss to keep people from the Lighthouse and that's just so frustrating. I love Sherpa-ing people through raids and helping friends wherever they're stuck. This is the exact opposite of that. Carries won't be a thing like last year, but also teams aren't going to take chances on new guys.

Trials gear is more attainable through bounties, but that makes it feel like there's "real Trials" and there's "bounty Trials". Real Trials is for teams of solid players who play every week and won't take a new guy. "Bounty Trials" is for scrubbing it up. There's not a spot for a new non-experienced guy who wants to try a serious ticket.

In a broader way, it's disappointing to see folks I look up to in Trials down on the mode as well. People excited about the mode and wanting to include others is what got me to get into Trials in the first place. Unstable is quitting. Drizz & Ape are downbeat, etc.

Mark Noseworthy and Luke made a big point about trying to make Destiny's community less-exclusionary. That's one of the reasons the light system is so granular, so that people aren't seperated by big gaps from one piece of armor. Trials was already incredibly tough, and they just made it more exclusionary.

It was such an amazing feeling for Drizz and Rubenov to say to me "I believe we can go to the Lighthouse together." That people believed in my potential. But that won't happen this year.

You can argue I'm too focused on Mercury and the new system is better for low(er) skilled players. But I feel like that's saying I'm too focused on beating the Raid and should content myself with beating everything through the Daughters. That beating Oryx is only for the best of the best. Wouldn't you want to beat Oryx? (I know, I know, PvP and PvE are different. PvE is a known encounter and is a gear check, etc.)

The point is: the Lighthouse was so special and I wanted to believe I could get there without a carry. But now I feel like that won't happen ever.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So everyone going on about Hung Jury. I've saved up the marks so should I get one? Would use alongside the Black Spindle. It comes with Firefly, Hand Laid Stock and Tripletap.

Kyne

Eh, I'm looking for a PvP game too. Uncharted 4 might be it for me considering how well I took to Uncharted 2 and, after a ton of patches, 3.

I'll play with you in Destiny PvP. I want to get better at it, but like you say, playing with BBs is annoying and now lag is getting worse.

Dunno if we're friends on PSN, but mine is Afrodeeziyak. I'm at work atm.

I'm at work too, but I'll add you when I get home.

My big thing about PvP is that I find it kinda boring, which is weird since there's space magic and stuff. I think it's because my friend who I played hundred of hours of PvP in other games doesn't have a PS4 and I haven't really found anyone to mesh with yet like that in this game.

I mean, I have a regular group of folks I do my reset raids with, but outside of that - nothing else. I have no one to laugh with or get mad with or anything :/. And when folks do get mad at Destiny for whatever reason, it's not fun because I feel these people cross the line taking the game far seriously than it should be taken.

Though I will admit, when folks get mad at this game, it's pretty tame compared to how I get at times - but I've been through anger management and stuff so

One thing I've noticed recently (because my playgroup has expanded) is that there is a serious lack of group activities. For a game that's a pseudo-MMO, there aren't enough things to do as a 6-man fireteam.

Anyways yeah, I'm always down to lead a PVP train. We usually have them going during the week in the evening. I'll start looking your way to see if you'd like to join whenever we're running.

Saddness! I wish Scouts stood out more. I remember your girl rocking that Mida well in pre 2.0 Trials.

haha.. I'm in the middle of the 9-month pvp chain quest. The step I'm at now requires me to use scout rifles to win, so I'm actually running MIDA myself. Really wish there was a year 2 version

Thanks again for the raid run guys, it was fun. Definitely down to do it again next week, and since Oryx dropped a primary for me I can actually use my Spindle next time.
it definitely was a blast, and glad to make your acquaintance
Np, you did a great job on your first run! (I'm DrDrizzay101 btw)
thanks for joining, Drizzay!
Thanks!

Kind of bummed out now, I want to keep playing but the strikes are pretty lame now after doing the raid.

Doing the raid got me up to 297 light too, I'm guessing at this point the raid and Nightfall are the only things that are going to net me anything worthwhile. I'm thinking about starting a new character but the grind back up to 40 is a drag.
i think one of our FT members was looking to level an alt - Rukia.
maybe the two of you could FT it up and powerlevel some alts?
If you do make a new character, save your engrams. Once your new character is level 40, transfer your engrams over and highest weapons over equip them, decrypt one at a time and equip the higher level stuff you get before you decrypt the next engram.
thanks for joining RAWR. last night wasn't as crazy as the solar/void exotic sword strike, but it was just as much fun. always good playing with DGaf!

I'm skipping the daily pvp because pvp sucks and I'm skipping the daily pve because I just don't need marks. I always have a shitload of marks. I also feel like it's the same 10 daily missions over and over.

E92 M3

I'm really let down by the Trials changes. These are my impressions from watching GAF and reddit for the past week.

Luke made the point that a lot of us raiders are having problems, but that we're the 1% of the 1%, implying the system is set up for everyone, not just us. But I feel like the Trials changes were made for the 1% of the 1%. Everyone I see liking the Trials changes seems to be someone who was already consistently making it to the Lighthouse in Year One. They like how it's sweatier and not a guarantee. But for those of us who didn't make it to the Lighthouse 3x, every week, like me, well, it feels like the rug got yanked out from under me.

I'd say I'm a top 20% PvP guy. I got carried to the Lighthouse Year 1, but I honestly felt that if I kept my head down and practiced and learned I could go back again without a carry. Now the Lighthouse feels an order of magnitude harder. There are guys bragging on r/CruciblePlaybook about gatekeeping and being the final boss to keep people from the Lighthouse and that's just so frustrating. I love Sherpa-ing people through raids and helping friends wherever they're stuck. This is the exact opposite of that. Carries won't be a thing like last year, but also teams aren't going to take chances on new guys.

Trials gear is more attainable through bounties, but that makes it feel like there's "real Trials" and there's "bounty Trials". Real Trials is for teams of solid players who play every week and won't take a new guy. "Bounty Trials" is for scrubbing it up. There's not a spot for a new non-experienced guy who wants to try a serious ticket.

In a broader way, it's disappointing to see folks I look up to in Trials down on the mode as well. People excited about the mode and wanting to include others is what got me to get into Trials in the first place. Unstable is quitting. Drizz & Ape are downbeat, etc.

Mark Noseworthy and Luke made a big point about trying to make Destiny's community less-exclusionary. That's one of the reasons the light system is so granular, so that people aren't seperated by big gaps from one piece of armor. Trials was already incredibly tough, and they just made it more exclusionary.

It was such an amazing feeling for Drizz and Rubenov to say to me "I believe we can go to the Lighthouse together." That people believed in my potential. But that won't happen this year.

You can argue I'm too focused on Mercury and the new system is better for low(er) skilled players. But I feel like that's saying I'm too focused on beating the Raid and should content myself with beating everything through the Daughters. That beating Oryx is only for the best of the best. Wouldn't you want to beat Oryx? (I know, I know, PvP and PvE are different. PvE is a known encounter and is a gear check, etc.)

The point is: the Lighthouse was so special and I wanted to believe I could get there without a carry. But now I feel like that won't happen ever.

It's funny, the light system creates a very exclusionary scenario on LFG because most don't understand the granular scaling of damage numbers.

zewone

So everyone going on about Hung Jury. I've saved up the marks so should I get one? Would use alongside the Black Spindle. It comes with Firefly, Hand Laid Stock and Tripletap.

It's the best PVE gun Bungie has ever sold.

It has ridiculous stats and perks.

It could have been a raid weapon.

I think I saw the same post. PvP really brings out the best and the worst in a community.

The Lighthouse was never a guarantee for me either in HoW. Sure, some runs were easier than others, but it was rare that I made it to Mercury with all three characters every weekend. Once yes, but all three? Not that often.

This post perfectly sums up what a lot of people are feeling about Trials. It's hard to swallow that there's something in a game you love that you might never be able to do.

I'm going to try again this weekend and try to be positive about the new meta. At least in Pre 2.0 I was having fun. It was exciting to shoot the Last Word. It was thrilling to use the Hawkmoon and have that lucky shot proc at the right moment. Yes, everyone had god rolls, but I did too and that made me feel like I was on even ground.

zewone

Well the good news for you is that there is nothing on Mars worth making the trip for.

You can grind out the bounties in 10 matches and get better gear.

EL CUCO

I see it as more like a break. Destiny is a game that has a thriving community with players have invested a crazy amount of time into it. The fact that Destiny is constantly receiving changes and evolving makes it incredibly hard for its core community to put away and consider it dad. I'll be taking a break now that Blops 3 hits, same as I did when Bloodborne released, but unless Bungie does something INCREDIBLY stupid with the game, there's no doubt in my mind I'll be right back as soon something new pops up.

Edit: Top page slam dunk of a post
ywZ4BxT.gif

No one ever asks and come trials I find out damn near every one of you still plays pvp. If I was doing strikes or some boring shit like that and someone said, "wanna do some skirmish?" I probably would have said yes 9 times out of 10.

Afrocious

No. And I really don't want to pay $60 for is on PC either. Are there any deals active at the moment, like a GMG coupon or something?

Believe so. 20%-25%

No one ever asks and come trials I find out damn near every one of you still plays pvp. If I was doing strikes or some boring shit like that and someone said, "wanna do some skirmish?" I probably would have said yes 9 times out of 10.

Lol, I'll speak up next time.

I don't really ask for people to do crucible with. That's on me. I've gotten used to being hit up on my phone or being texted asking if I'm gonna get on Uncharted or not.

Carbonox

Yeah, that seems to be the intended use (popping them for strikes). Not really sure why your drop rate is so low unless you usually plow through the strikes before the drop buff comes into effect. Also, I think some of the strike bosses don't drop exotics so that might have something to do with it.

I still just go to the Draksis mission on venus a few times throughout my play sessions and seem to get a pretty consistent drop rate (usually 1 for every 5-6 I pop).

Could be it, I do blitz through strikes very quickly and easily. I guess timing is important then between runs.

I'll try the Draksis mission idea and do one run every hour or so and see if that works. Thanks for the tip!

Top Bottom