• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Warlock jump is like a slow falling fairy glide.

Hunter jumps are like Samus Aran from Metroid. Double jump is pretty much pioneered here.

Titan jumps are like the rocketeer, being able to achieve top speeds. If you watched the movie, you also know that crashes happened as well.

It's a WIZARD glide Gutz.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We'll see. Sustaining the population is their number one concern though. Destiny would be a horrible experience with a low population.
How do you know that is their number one concern? Basically it seems like you're starting with a conclusion instead of drawing from the little information we do have, which is pretty stark and ridiculous to fathom, but also unambiguous. The investor report released this week shows 25 million players with an average playtime of "well above 3 hours per day." Back in February when the player number was 16 million the average daily playtime was "about three hours" as well. Meaning that the amount of time spent in Destiny across the playerbase either hasn't decreased or has actually gone up over the last 9 months and the addition of 9 million players. Do you have any idea what that number looks like from a product engagement perspective? Do you get how many developers and publishers struggle to come anywhere close despite "doing everything right" in comparison to the design decisions in this game? This affords Bungie/Activision "a little bit of leeway" in the same way Bruce Lee had a basic understanding of martial arts.

I would wager that sustaining the population isn't their number one or even a top three concern. If I were to be as cynical as possible I would say that making money is obviously their number one concern and sustaining the population is not something that's on their main radar screen as a priority. I'd say population sustenance is probably something they feel like they can hang their hat on. Destiny is not massively multiplayer and doesn't count on ongoing revenue streams the way an MMO with a traditional subscription model or cash shop does. The maximum number of players that are needed to populate an individual instance is 12. The general tone of the game's official thread on NeoGAF is not the prevailing metric they're going to use to forecast the success of the game and their experience so far indicates that when they release something that costs money, it sells.

LTWood12

Hunter jumps are like Samus Aran from Metroid. Double jump is pretty much pioneered here.

Titan jumps are like the rocketeer, being able to achieve top speeds. If you watched the movie, you also know that crashes happened as well.

Rocketeer. Damn I loved that movie so much as a kid. Does it hold up?

I did solo.

They only part I died a little was in the first jump to get into the room to the secret path to find the firs ghost lol
I have no idea where to go after gabbing that first ghost. If I didn't have somebody else with me who died and then got rezzed in the right area, I might be there still jumping around in that maze of pillars and endless drops.

ocean

Banned
Get out with your trials shit.

Do we know when the next Iron Banner is?
The older event with even laggier lobbies where worse loot takes way longer to get, is for some reason rarer than weekly Trials :p

IB is roughly once a month but there's been stretches where it takes like a month and a half for Lord Saladbar to pay a visit.

Expect news about his return in this update or next week's, with the "loot drops will be better" story the week before it begins.

Now I want a screw attack for the hunter

Afrocious

I have no idea where to go after gabbing that first ghost. If I didn't have somebody else with me who died and then got rezzed in the right area, I might be there still jumping around in that maze of pillars and endless drops.

Might wanna watch a video. It's a bit hard to describe. You have to drop down to this big square thing and do a bit of platforming.

LTWood12

How do you know that is their number one concern? Basically it seems like you're starting with a conclusion instead of drawing from the little information we do have, which is pretty stark and ridiculous to fathom, but also unambiguous. The investor report released this week shows 25 million players with an average playtime of "well above 3 hours per day." Back in February when the player number was 16 million the average daily playtime was "about three hours" as well. Meaning that the amount of time spent in Destiny across the playerbase either hasn't decreased or has actually gone up over the last 9 months and the addition of 9 million players. Do you have any idea what that number looks like from a product engagement perspective? Do you get how many developers and publishers struggle to come anywhere close despite "doing everything right" in comparison to the design decisions in this game? This affords Bungie/Activision "a little bit of leeway" in the same way Bruce Lee had a basic understanding of martial arts.

I would wager that sustaining the population isn't their number one or even a top three concern. If I were to be as cynical as possible I would say that making money is obviously their number one concern and sustaining the population is not something that's on their main radar screen as a priority. I'd say population sustenance is probably something they feel like they can hang their hat on. Destiny is not massively multiplayer and doesn't count on ongoing revenue streams the way an MMO with a traditional subscription model or cash shop does. The maximum number of players that are needed to populate an individual instance is 12. The general tone of the game's official thread on NeoGAF is not the prevailing metric they're going to use to forecast the success of the game and their experience so far indicates that when they release something that costs money, it sells.

Welcome back Hawkian! Been too long.

Damn right it does.

Awesome. I'll watch it this weekend.

GutZ31

It's a WIZARD glide Gutz.

FAIRY!
anigif_enhanced-buzz-29856-1368614441-2.gif

GLIDE!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I got Black Ops 3 arriving today.

Forgot to cancel after getting beta code from Amazon.

ocean

Banned

Hawkian it brings a tear to my eye seeing a fellow poster exhibit understanding of how business works. I applaud this post and give it a freshly obtained MBA seal of approval.

GhaleonEB

Black screen gotta be >>> than white screen.

White screen would be blinding

Actual screen capture:

CTD1iDuUAAEIaWB.jpg

It's a little bright. Never did load.

I've had that happened but it's because I play on a faulty monitor at work. A simple action of switching the monitor OFF and ON does the trick.

This was a loading issue - I could go into the character menu, back out to PSN dashboard, etc.

nodsheadinagreement.gif

E92 M3

Anyone here getting Black Ops 3?

C'mon... tell the truth

I'll probably get it lol

How do you know that is their number one concern? Basically it seems like you're starting with a conclusion instead of drawing from the little information we do have, which is pretty stark and ridiculous to fathom, but also unambiguous. The investor report released this week shows 25 million players with an average playtime of "well above 3 hours per day." Back in February when the player number was 16 million the average daily playtime was "about three hours" as well. Meaning that the amount of time spent in Destiny across the playerbase either hasn't decreased or has actually gone up over the last 9 months and the addition of 9 million players. Do you have any idea what that number looks like from a product engagement perspective? Do you get how many developers and publishers struggle to come anywhere close despite "doing everything right" in comparison to the design decisions in this game? This affords them "a little bit of leeway" in the same way Bruce Lee had a basic understanding of martial arts.

I would wager that sustaining the population isn't their number one or even a top three concern. If I were to be as cynical as possible I would say that making money is obviously their number one concern and sustaining the population is not something that's on their main radar screen as a priority. I'd say population sustenance is probably something they feel like they can hang their hat on. Destiny is not massively multiplayer and doesn't count on ongoing revenue streams the way a MMO with a traditional subscription model or cash shop does. The maximum number of players that are needed to populate an individual instance is 12. The general tone of the game's official thread on NeoGAF is not the prevailing metric they're going to use to forecast the success of the game and their experience so far indicates that when they release something that costs money, it sells.

Yes, player engagement and making money is utmost important to Activision and Bungie, but Destiny thrives on having all playlists being active with people. They want the world populated with players. Matchmaking is a fundamental aspect of Destiny and for it to be working properly, there needs to be people playing. On a console game, retaining a population is a luxury of its own and Bungie knows that. I don't see how population isn't important. I am not arguing that Bungie hasn't done a lot of things right and the numbers prove it.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you, Hawk. Population will always be something I am concerned about on consoles. It's why I don't bother buying most MP games - no point in investing into a game that dies off within a month. Destiny has legs, but on the Xbox we have Halo 5, COD and Battlefront coming out. I already see a big hit.

Strider

I am only just now learning about remapping controller layout on PS4
facepalm.gif

This is gamechanging. I can have jump on L1 without using melee on R3 now...

HE LIVES! O.O

missed you dude

Hawkian it brings a tear to my eye seeing a fellow poster exhibit understanding of how business works. I applaud this post and give it a freshly obtained MBA seal of approval.

Allow me to co-sign as well.Well said, Sir Hawkian.

ocean

Banned
I'll probably get it lol

Yes, player engagement and making money is utmost important to Activision and Bungie, but Destiny thrives on having all playlists being active with people. They want the world populated with players. Matchmaking is a fundamental aspect of Destiny and for it to be working properly, there needs to be people playing. On a console game, retaining a population is a luxury of its own and Bungie knows that. I don't see how population isn't important. I am not arguing that Bungie hasn't done a lot of things right and the numbers prove it.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you, Hawk. Population will always be something I am concerned about on consoles. It's why I don't bother buying most MP games - no point in investing into a game that dies off within a month. Destiny has legs, but on the Xbox we have Halo 5, COD and Battlefront coming out. I already see a big hit.
Barring some catastrophic black swan, I think this game can afford to bleed players for a long time before it's an issue.

I can't imagine within the next few months not being able to form a full Skirmish lobby or whatever. In another game I'd fear fewer players would introduce lag but lol that ship sailed the actual day the game came out - never stopped being the laggiest shooter ever made.

But yeah, the key figure here is the following:

- This was the biggest opening ever for a new IP
- Concurrent players on TTK release were even higher than that hyped up megastorm that was vanilla day 1

If throughout all the criticism and scandal and disappointment and shitposting and weekly articles on addiction and content and DLC splicing and pricing schemes and behavioral scientists etc the game managed to have a HIGHER population a year later than it did day 1... This baby defines legs.

The endgame is dog shit for PvP focused players right now or very hardcore PvE players. But honestly, our discontent won't make a big dent in the numbers. For anyone who plays this game semi casually it's better than it's ever been and I don't see what would make it tank enough to be a ghost town

ocean

Banned
muchos gracias amigo and may the Cryptarch bestow on you a 310 Telesto

Hey congrats Business Master! :) MBA - nice work, man!
Dude thanks a lot. The hardest part of getting the degree was not letting you maniacs derail me too much from studying :p finally done though. Earned myself some vacations so I won't be playing after today until like a month from now.

It breaks my freaking heart that I'll miss out on completing my Trials armor sets :( I'll have to do that later

I'll probably get it lol

I'm sure there is some population floor that if breached will show up in visible QoL such as not being able to matchmake a full fireteam when running a strike, consistently seeing deserted public zones, etc. However, I would bet that they're so far above that number right now that they can afford to be patient at minimum through the holidays and see how where they stand after. Hardcore players constant gnashing of teeth aside, there is really no reason for them to do otherwise. They may even feel confident of gaining players through the holidays via discounted sales on the game, sales on the hardware, etc.

E92 M3

Also, PS4 people will definitely not have to worry about a healthy population when the game is advertised so heavily for Sony. Secondly, Xbox is known as the shooter console with a smaller install base than PS4. So, that is some inherent fragmentation.

We don't need specific numbers, but can draw conclusions from simple patterns that have been happening for years on consoles. Personally, want Destiny to succeed more than anyone - love the game, but it's already hard to find people playing it on my list.

I'm sure there is some population floor that if breached will show up in visible QoL such as not being able to matchmake a full fireteam when running a strike, consistently seeing deserted public zones, etc. However, I would bet that they're so far above that number right now that they can afford to be patient at minimum through the holidays and see how where they stand after. Hardcore players constant gnashing of teeth aside, there is really no reason for them to do otherwise. They may even feel confident of gaining players through the holidays via discounted sales on the game, sales on the hardware, etc.

I hope and believe that it will be OK, but the shooter market on the Xbox is ultra competitive. I've invested enough into Destiny that leaving now would hurt.

phen0m24

Lude Mila - D
Because we all know what Mila wants...
To shoot stuff in the face.

just have to pry her away from Ashton

yeah, being sick sucks. get some rest, and chicken soup!

Am eating chicken noodle as I spea- er type

:)

Am about halfway in my third playthrough of P4G. Just saved
Kanji
and hope to max out
Naoto - ermagersh the smart girlz

TOP OF THE PAGE POLL:

What does Dr. Drizzay REALLY do?

1) Duh, his name is Dr. He's really an astrophysicist

2) He has a burgeoning rap career

3) He's really that AI from Jeopardy and his real name is Dr. Watson

4) An international man of mystery

I ask because I still don't know.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you, Hawk. Population will always be something I am concerned about on consoles. It's why I don't bother buying most MP games - no point in investing into a game that dies off within a month. Destiny has legs, but on the Xbox we have Halo 5, COD and Battlefront coming out.[/B ]I already see a big hit.

Except (and I hate making this comparison because I'm sure people will laser focus on it, instead of my actual point) Destiny is like the WoW of this particular nexus of games in that, thus far the pattern seems to be that people will "leave" Destiny for a month or two to play those other games and then come right back. Primarily because those other games are stand alone installments and you get pretty much all you could ask for in that period of play. By the time the gameplay experiences in those other games are no longer shiny and new, Destiny will likely have the next bit of new content out and people will cycle back.

Which is perfectly ok for a game like Destiny that doesn't need subs to survive.

Number45

Anyone here getting Black Ops 3?

C'mon... tell the truth
Haven't bought a CoD since WaW. Battlefront I'd consider if there was a decent SP element.

You can die... you only can't restart getting the dead screen.
If you have another guy to help you can die until pass the parts because he will stay alive... just both of you can't die at the same time.

PS. When I died in the last jump part and used my self-res I waited 4 minutes to get the super again to try the jump lol
I'll give it a go later solo, otherwise I might wait for it to come around again and group up. I need to group up more, but my time with the game is so irregular it's hard to sort stuff out.

E92 M3

Except (and I hate making this comparison because I'm sure people will laser focus on it, instead of my actual point) Destiny is like the WoW of this particular nexus of games in that, thus far the pattern seems to be that people will "leave" Destiny for a month or two to play those other games and then come right back. Primarily because those other games are stand alone installments and you get pretty much all you could ask for in that period of play. By the time the gameplay experiences in those other games are no longer shiny and new, Destiny will likely have the next bit of new content out and people will cycle back.

Which is perfectly ok for a game like Destiny that doesn't need subs to survive.

That's what I'm hoping will happen.

Dude thanks a lot. The hardest part of getting the degree was not letting you maniacs derail me too much from studying :p finally done though. Earned myself some vacations so I won't be playing after today until like a month from now.

It breaks my freaking heart that I'll miss out on completing my Trials armor sets :( I'll have to do that later

Congrats on the degree.

GutZ31

Ok ok. So maybe fairy glide is a bit much of a comparison, so I will make a new one.

Warlock jump is like a very advanced robot falling over.
robots-falling-1.gif

Top Bottom