• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Bogeypop

Trials of Osiris: Rising Revenge of the Revengeance Back to the Jurassic Goonies on Mercury IV.

(Translation: Let's team up and have some jolly good cooperation for Trials of Osiris while aiming for Mercury.)

Jafku

Trials of Osiris: Rising Revenge of the Revengeance Back to the Jurassic Goonies on Mercury IV.

(Translation: Let's team up and have some jolly good cooperation for Trials of Osiris while aiming for Mercury.)
I'm down. My power finally came back

Yikes, thats no good. Hopefully Bungie can track these players and ban them?

Very easily. Bungie already tracks disconnects because they want to make sure it isn't happening due to their own code. Remember they built that new system that automatically reconnects a player if they simply get sent to orbit.

It doesn't take a whole lot of research to see that when specfic players play a certain game type, players on the opposing teams get DCed a lot.

They know what they're doing: https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/660190128757850112

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
So I'm at 305 on my Hunter and Warlock and my Titan is 303. Worth going into Hard Mode now with the first two up to Oryx?

Kilau

Very easily. Bungie already tracks disconnects because they want to make sure it isn't happening due to their own code. Remember they built that new system that automatically reconnects a player if they simply get sent to orbit.

It doesn't take a whole lot of research to see that when specfic players play a certain game type, players on the opposing teams get DCed a lot.

They know what they're doing: https://twitter.com/Bungie/status/660190128757850112

Yeah I'm pretty sure I remember them saying they would be watching more closely and handing out harsher punishments. Maybe even perma bans from crucible for stuff like this.

Number45

They nerfed strange coin drops along with weapon parts in the recent patch, so probably not just bad luck.

You can get blues up to 300 from strikes to use for infusion, as well as a 300 artifact from Eris, but to crack 300 you'll need to run the raid (and get more than shards).
I'm now 300+ without having raided, so it's possible. Exotic sword is a must though otherwise you'll need 300 in every slot and that's asking a lot (might even be impossible in the ghost slot).

From memory, I had:

Head: 297
Gauntlets: 300
Chest: 300
Legs: 298
Mark: 300
Artefact: 300

Primary: 298
Special: 300
Heavy: 310

Ghost: 294

Ozone

My first ToO experience didn't go as horrible as it could! Nowhere near Mercury, but was fun. Still need to get back in there later...

Kyoufu

Hipfire and aiming for the head. once you get the headshots in, there is nothing that beats this gun. however its no good for very long range, use a sniper for that.

But it's no good for even medium range regardless of hip firing or not. That's the problem with the gun, it seems to be intended for close range now which is silly because it can't compete with any other gun at medium to long range.

GorillaJu

Destiny C Fragment tracker says I have 45 fragments, but Im not getting a quest from Eris.

That means somewhere, 1 or 2 fragments have been obtained on an alt but not on main.

Oh god. Which one could it be :(

edit: happy days! i was wrong, it just didnt show up on the navigator. time for Fear's Embrace.

Can I solo this? We'll find out.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey Hawkian!

I've done the raid a few times so I'm not a newbie per say but I could leave my name as a reserve, in case you're missing someone come 2PM. I don't want to take a newbie spot though.
Heya, still available to help in ~1 hr?

JonCha

I'd be up for doing a normal mode KF raid about three/four hours from now if people are interested. Currently there's just me, so six spots free. I've done it once before:

1. itsjoncharles

ocean

Banned
But it's no good for even medium range regardless of hip firing or not. That's the problem with the gun, it seems to be intended for close range now which is silly because it can't compete with any other gun at medium to long range.
Nghtly's explanation on stream last night:

Don't think of it as a primary weapon anymore. It's a gun you can whip out in close proximity to kill a guy before he shotguns you. As he spends most of a match sniping, TLW is the only counter he has when too close to snipe. Just as he was explaining, a guy was trying to warrior him from behind. He TLW'd the guy - melting him with that hipfire damage. And he was like yeah see without this gun I'd have died here since I don't use shotguns.

But it really hit me when he said that it's not really a primary anymore, just a proximity / shotgun counter how hard the nerf was :p

You are right mate, but my playstyle get´s me into mid to close range most of the times and there the gun performs amazingly

It doesn't really work outside its niche anymore. The problem was the bonus precision damage bug which made the ADS far more compelling than it should have been. Between the nerfs to range and accuracy that all hand cannons got, the nerf to perfect balance and the unique additional nerf to range on TLW the gun is basically a primary side arm.

The crazy part is, it wasn't particularly good in pve before. Now it's flat out garbage. How many other guns are relegated to a very specific use in pvp?

Hey all, I haven't played since the launch, but I'n thinking about getting back into it. Can I just buy the TTK box that comes with all of the dlc and just pick up where I left off? I've heard something about that not working, so I want to make sure. Thanks for the help.

ocean

Banned
It doesn't really work outside its niche anymore. The problem was the bonus precision damage bug which made the ADS far more compelling than it should have been. Between the nerfs to range and accuracy that all hand cannons got, the nerf to perfect balance and the unique additional nerf to range on TLW the gun is basically a primary side arm.

The crazy part is, it wasn't particularly good in pve before. Now it's flat out garbage. How many other guns are relegated to a very specific use in pvp?
To be fair about half the Exotics don't have any niche at all, which is probably worse.

The sheer attachment to TLW is something I will never understand. It was once a great weapon, but no more, just like almost every other Year 1 weapon. Life must go on.

Frenden

Banned
The sheer attachment to TLW is something I will never understand. It was once a great weapon, but no more, just like almost every other Year 1 weapon. Life must go on.
It allowed for a playstyle that no other primary did. Its nerf meant abandoning more than just a gun, it meant learning an entirely different way to PvP.

No other exotic was so unique when set against its archetype peers. Except maybe Gjally compared to other launchers.

To be fair about half the Exotics don't have any niche at all, which is probably worse.

They're all underwhelming, it says a lot when Red Death is my favourite Y2 Exotic

Another economy nerf, has anyone else noticed how few passage coins you get on losses now. Before if you lost 3/4 you'd always get more then 9. Its way down this year I started with 120 yesterday and I'm now down to 80 odd

This is true

It was and still is the only exotic that feels nothing like its weapon archetype to use. You can't get a hand cannon that performs let alone behaves similarly. It's erotic as fuck

bitsurugi

New Trials MM system was a mistake, it's nothing but trash. It takes an already highly competitive mode and strangle-holds it even tighter. It forces people into playing exclusively with their most skilled friends. As if the "elitism/exclusion" issue wasn't bad enough before.

Once you get to 6-7 wins, you know you'll be matched against full sweaty pro teams where the carrying margin for error is razor thin. Often at the expense of reasonable connections with red and yellow bars all over the place. But of course you have to waste an hour+ to even get to that point.

It's simply not fun, the epitome of a "well, it wasn't broken so we 'fixed' it" decision. I have fun playing with many different people of all different skill levels to help them win some matches. Frankly I don't have fun just steam rolling with full teams of high level players, that gets boring quick. Except now they took something already very difficult (carrying) and made it a pain in the neck.

I missed the RNG nature of HoW Mercury runs, where you never knew who'd you face next. Will the Scrub-Lords take pity on us with a scrubby final boss? Or will we have to sweat out all 7 wins? Some flawless runs were a total breeze while some took all the pro mode we could give. Now it's just "okay, we're at 7 wins, prepare for aggravation."

TL;DR: I understand that they wanted to reduce Trials carries. I don't understand why they wanted that.

Agree with this 100%. I even said that THE MOMENT they announced this change in the weekly updates in the past.

Trials was fun because it was the ONE MODE, that had CONNECTION MM system.

Also there is a flaw in this ''new'' system:

- generally, i don't mind playing one or two sweaty matches per passage. It is kinda fair to have to earn a bit your flawless, in the past you could go Mercury with TERRIBLE opponents or had bad luck and faced 2 or more pro's in a row (remember the ''repeat'' game which happened a LOT??

- but with the new system it is again ''RNG'' based, since EVEN PRO TEAM START at 0 or 1 win. So if you are not lucky, you will get a starting sweaty match, then the guaranteed ''final boss'' at 7 or 8.

- it is still RNG based, since you might get teams of 2+ kd or the regular ''above average'' teams of 1.0 - 1.3 KD

- what i also dislike: now those ''final'' games are most laggy then in the past. This is the biggest issue imo.

Not all is bad tho: the new quest system is awesome! 10/10, love it.

New Trials MM system was a mistake, it's nothing but trash. It takes an already highly competitive mode and strangle-holds it even tighter. It forces people into playing exclusively with their most skilled friends. As if the "elitism/exclusion" issue wasn't bad enough before.

Once you get to 6-7 wins, you know you'll be matched against full sweaty pro teams where the carrying margin for error is razor thin. Often at the expense of rea'ssonable connections with red and yellow bars all over the place. But of course you have to waste an hour+ to even get to that point.

It's simply not fun, the epitome of a "well, it wasn't broken so we 'fixed' it" decision. I have fun playing with many different people of all different skill levels to help them win some matches. Frankly I don't have fun just steam rolling with full teams of high level players, that gets boring quick. Except now they took something already very difficult (carrying) and made it a pain in the neck.

I missed the RNG nature of HoW Mercury runs, where you never knew who'd you face next. Will the Scrub-Lords take pity on us with a scrubby final boss? Or will we have to sweat out all 7 wins? Some flawless runs were a total breeze while some took all the pro mode we could give. Now it's just "okay, we're at 7 wins, prepare for aggravation."

TL;DR: I understand that they wanted to reduce Trials carries. I don't understand why they wanted that.

Fully agreed.

The funny thing is they knew exactly this would happen, thats why the packages are now through bounties and not getting 8 wins through a card.

It sucks. I played with afro last night and not only did I have to start tryharding 4 matches in, but the second we lost without the boon it was either reset our card and try for mercury( we decided against that) or just fuck around till we got the 10 matches bounty.

Its just not fun. Its going to be something that you just do for the bounties and then fuck it.

What is the best way to collect Varicks tokens now? I have none and need some for shaders and ships. I burned them for rep and spaced what they were for.

it was late!!

Top Bottom