• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

ocean

Banned
The sheer attachment to TLW is something I will never understand. It was once a great weapon, but no more, just like almost every other Year 1 weapon. Life must go on.
This highlights a problem with the game. There's hundreds of weapons, thousands of you count the perk combinations. But there's only like a dozen "gun types".

Every single high impact pulse feels / plays the same and encourages the same play style and requires the same counters. Same for every low / mid / high impact scout / HC / auto or whatever.

There's a few which are truly unique. The Vex Mythoclast, Queenbreaker's Bow, No Land Beyond, Lord of Wolves, The Last Word, Pocket Infinity, Sleeper Simulant.

Each of these feel and play differently than anything else. In my opinion, the truest "Exotics" - unique concepts of a weapon. Not to say that that necessarily makes them good, but it does make them distinctive.

I think it's a shame that all of these were left behind TLW has a Y2 but with the HC accuracy, stability, aggressive ballistics and perfect balance nerfs, the gun got raped 10x at the same time. Hardest hit weapon in the game.

And when the gun you've used more than the others combined becomes way worse...and there's no alternative which feels / plays like it... You end up liking the game less :)

lt519

Did they explicitly say that they wanted to reduce the carrying? I always thought of trials as a Tournament of Champions and it kind of annoyed me as an average player that teams were completing their trials passages against me when I was 2-2. It seemed against the point of trials to have random match-ups. The only reason my team made it to the lighthouse once was because we were blessed by RNG and fought crap teams the entire time. That didn't really make us champions, just lucky. I like how it is now, but if they said they did it to reduce carries not increase competition then I dunno.

So is the whole 'losing ammo when you switch weapons' thing intentional? Because I'm having trouble understanding why that's a thing, especially when there's a 5 minute cool down on synthesis.

I don't know how many times I've screwed myself.or just had to do a lot of planning beforehand because the ammo I just had keeps getting cut in half when I change out weapons. Really, really annoying.

GorillaJu

Alright I'm about ready to ask for help on Fear's Embrace (270 version). Can anyone jump in? I'm already at the boss, I just can't handle it once the wizard pops out, there's too much shit going on.

PSN wild_whiskey

Would really appreciate it.

ocean

Banned
So is the whole 'losing ammo when you switch weapons' thing intentional? Because I'm having trouble understanding why that's a thing, especially when there's a 5 minute cool down on synthesis.

I don't know how many times I've screwed myself.or just had to do a lot of planning beforehand because the ammo I just had keeps getting cut in half when I change out weapons. Really, really annoying.
Change weapon types while dead to conserve ammo. Otherwise, it's the penalty for not planning ahead for an encounter. Generally, ammo is pretty abundant in the game though.

DlP3Wzv.jpg

Trials.

X-Frame

Is the Trials Auto Rifle good at all?

Seems like it may be pretty good in close quarters with Braced Frame as the stability is 90% or so.

Ramirez

We got a Coconut error while matching up yesterday and it apparently used our Mercy boon. Just completely deflating. This games MP just isn't worth the headache with better options out for me now.

Kyoufu

Ocean and Frenden hitting that nail on its head.

TLW allowed for a unique playstyle, whereas every Pulse Rifle in the game feels and plays the same.

I'm salty af.

Also, can I just point out that sniper rifles are too good? I feel intimidated to even step into ToO because if I peek my head out I'll get sniped. Guaranteed.

Did they explicitly say that they wanted to reduce the carrying? I always thought of trials as a Tournament of Champions and it kind of annoyed me as an average player that teams were completing their trials passages against me when I was 2-2. It seemed against the point of trials to have random match-ups. The only reason my team made it to the lighthouse once was because we were blessed by RNG and fought crap teams the entire time. That didn't really make us champions, just lucky. I like how it is now, but if they said they did it to reduce carries not increase competition then I dunno.

Its 100% to stop carries, specifically the cash for carries that was going on

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Is the Trials Auto Rifle good at all?

Seems like it may be pretty good in close quarters with Braced Frame as the stability is 90% or so.

Infused my adept trials 315 rifle into my Red death to get it to 310. Never looked back.

gatti-man

Fully agreed.

The funny thing is they knew exactly this would happen, thats why the packages are now through bounties and not getting 8 wins through a card.

It sucks. I played with afro last night and not only did I have to start tryharding 4 matches in, but the second we lost without the boon it was either reset our card and try for mercury( we decided against that) or just fuck around till we got the 10 matches bounty.

Its just not fun. Its going to be something that you just do for the bounties and then fuck it.

I tried posting about this on Reddit and got shouted down that Trials is supposed to be hard and everyone got 9-0 last year.

I mean how can you be more blind to the fact that it was already almost impossible for a casual to go 9-0 and now even the hardcore are struggling. There is no reason as much as you play that you shouldn't be able to go 9-0. That's crazy.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Alright I'm about ready to ask for help on Fear's Embrace (270 version). Can anyone jump in? I'm already at the boss, I just can't handle it once the wizard pops out, there's too much shit going on.

PSN wild_whiskey

Could help out. Just send an invite.

DarKshodaN

I had some fun matches in Trials, and was just doing the bounties, i think trials is now much better then before, even casuals have the chance to get trials gear, the bounties are really easy to get

GorillaJu

Damn, took 9 deaths but I finally solo'd fears embrace. intense fight!

finally, TOM. usefulness in raid UP!

Thanks Kadey and AlucardShinigami... literally finished it seconds before the friend request.

SheHateMe

I would love to do a Fun Run of ToO.

If we luck up and win, great.

If not, hey, at least I got some bounties completed.

Anyone game enough?

EDIT: I should probably add that I am NOT the person to play with if you're trying to make it to Mercury.

Last time I was competitive in PVP was GoldenEye.

I see bungie have added new things for Halloween. That's fun.

But venture into crucible and you'll see that even with your wired 150mb broadband you're paired with 9 players on red bar connections who kill you five seconds after you've killed them and can destroy you with a shotgun at 15 meters despite the fact that if you want to shotgun them you'll have to be close enough to touch them and then you'll have to melee them to finish them off.

It really is terrible.

I had some fun matches in Trials, and was just doing the bounties, i think trials is now much better then before, even casuals have the chance to get trials gear, the bounties are really easy to get

I'm the other way, as an average to sometimes good PvPer if I never got to Mercury getting Gold instead was still an achievement, now its all Mercury or bust

Maybe it was in part to it being Friday on a new map, but basically anyone aside from the really good teams were finding themselves at a loss when they were unable to set up on their spawn side near Point B, whip out their 1000 Yard Stares, and snipe our spawn side lol.

After some trial and error, I wound up rolling with Hung Jury (I should prolly work on a Scout with a better PvP roll; I prolly already have sitting in my vault) and Invective. I just can't seem to do Pulse Rifles. In most situations it worked well at keeping snipers at bay, and Invective tore through stuff up close and several Fireborn activations.

Geist-

Just found the wonders of Destiny Tracker for the first time, to see what my stats look like for ToO. Pretty meh, until I get to game score. Top 1% avg game score, top 9% Score, top 4% Best Game Score. With a all-time K/D of 1.1 this makes me very happy.

Anyhow, any XB1 players doing ToO? GT: Geist IX

ocean

Banned
I think I understand and agree with their new Trials format.

It used to be: bad / average players would never get anything because reaching the 7 wins for a gun was out of their reach unless they got extremely lucky. While good players had, on average, such an easy time that they didn't even bother going with 3 strong guys. Xo, Rubenov, Drizz and the rest of the guys carrying would regularly and reliably 2v3 their way to Mercury carrying.

I think they tried to make normal rewards more accessible and Adept rewards more of a trophy.

With patience, any team can get their armor / weapon rewards from the bounties over a weekend. This basically guaranteed ability to work towards Trials rewards makes it more democratic.

At the same time, Mercury is more competitive to reach, making that emblem / weapon shine even brighter as a mark of skill.

PSN wild_whiskey

if you still need help, let me know

GorillaJu

The Red Spectre/Monte Carlo is a pretty decent PVP archetype for auto rifles. Not as good as Pulses or top-end scouts but still.

gatti-man

I think I understand and agree with their new Trials format.

It used to be: bad / average players would never get anything because reaching the 7 wins for a gun was out of their reach unless they got extremely lucky. While good players had, on average, such an easy time that they didn't even bother going with 3 strong guys. Xo, Rubenov, Drizz and the rest of the guys carrying would regularly and reliably 2v3 their way to Mercury carrying.

I think they tried to make normal rewards more accessible and Adept rewards more of a trophy.

With patience, any team can get their armor / weapon rewards from the bounties over a weekend. This basically guaranteed ability to work towards Trials rewards makes it more democratic.

At the same time, Mercury is more competitive to reach, making that emblem / weapon shine even brighter as a mark of skill.
Mercury shouldn't be out of reach to 99% of the community. The bounties are great but they don't excuse that over site.

Also the rewards are kindof crap besides the lighthouse. Everything is normal mode raid quality unless you totally luck out.

In the time my 9-0 run took I could have run hard mode raid from start to finish. I'd be more ready to agree if the rewards reliably dropped hard mode quality gear.

GorillaJu

I dunno, even as someone who will likely not get to Mercury without a lot of luck or a good carry, I feel like it should be reserved for the very top end of players. Pretty much everything else in Destiny is accessible to 100% of the player base. There should be 1 or 2 things that serve as legit trophies for the hardest core.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I dunno, even as someone who will likely not get to Mercury without a lot of luck or a good carry, I feel like it should be reserved for the very top end of players. Pretty much everything else in Destiny is accessible to 100% of the player base. There should be 1 or 2 things that serve as legit trophies for the hardest core.

Theres still Mercury for elite and being able to blow theough bounties quickly. Honestly if someone is an ultra high-level player, Destiny PVP might not be the right fit for them.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Is Quiver disabled throughout the whole game? I unlocked it just now and tried it in a strike but it only gave me 1 shot.

Is Quiver disabled throughout the whole game? I unlocked it just now and tried it in a strike but it only gave me 1 shot.
Pretty sure it is. Don't think they can turn off certain abilities just for pvp. I'm sure they will fix it....eventually...

Top Bottom