• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

... For anyone who plays this game semi casually it's better than it's ever been and I don't see what would make it tank enough to be a ghost town
I think this can't be overstated. I really think we've lost sight of the silent super-majority of the player-base. As someone who plays weekly with a couple of casual Guardians, I can tell you that they don't know and/or don't care about the issues we harp on constantly.

just have to pry her away from Ashton

Am eating chicken noodle as I spea- er type

:)

Am about halfway in my third playthrough of P4G. Just saved
Kanji
and hope to max out
Naoto - ermagersh the smart girlz

TOP OF THE PAGE POLL:

What does Dr. Drizzay REALLY do?

1) Duh, his name is Dr. He's really an astrophysicist

2) He has a burgeoning rap career

3) He's really that AI from Jeopardy and his real name is Dr. Watson

4) An international man of mystery

I ask because I still don't know.

easy, he IS DESTINY!

Kanji
and hope to max out

TOP OF THE PAGE POLL:

I asked him once before I started my own PhD and IIRC he has his PhD in biomedical engineering.

FyreWulff

So far my experience with Halo 5 multiplayer is constantly being booted from servers and horrendous, seconds long lag while I am connected.

Nobody in this house has yet to complete a match after using a match exp booster req card.

Hopefully the Azure stuff is sorted soon.

Deku Tree

So far my experience with Halo 5 multiplayer is constantly being booted from servers and horrendous, seconds long lag while I am connected.

Nobody in this house has yet to complete a match after using a match exp booster req card.

What kind of internet do you have? Is this also a lot of other peoples experiences in Halo GAF too? How do Halo 5's dedicated servers affect the multiplayer? thx

j-wood

Telesto absolutely wrecks in the nightfall this week with the special weapon damage. Holy shit. lol

So if the RAID auto rifle sucks, I really need to decide what to infuse it into now (it's 302).

Surors Y2 = 290
Supercell = 291
Tlaloc = 292
Bad Juju = 280

I'm thinking my suros?

Shito

I think this can't be overstated. I really think we've lost sight of the silent super-majority of the player-base. As someone who plays weekly with a couple of casual Guardians, I can tell you that they don't know and/or don't care about the issues we harp on constantly.
I don't remember who said that in here, but it striked me as a very apt comparison: we are the canary in the coal mine, warning those players about things to come at the end of the tunnel.
You are totally right that we should never forget the "casual view" of this game, but it's also quite important that we keep on telling what we don't enjoy in the current endgame so as to get a chance of being listened to.

FAIRY!
anigif_enhanced-buzz-29856-1368614441-2.gif

GLIDE!
Booze Britain was a great show.

ocean

Banned

Kanji
and hope to max out

TOP OF THE PAGE POLL:

The Pujari Position describes the Drizzay as a force with both physical and moral presence, an actualization of Sherpa. Pujari art depicts the Drizz as a great storm, or as a change in conduct, an OP that emerged from within and poisoned the Golden Age with questions about Raid themes.

Saint-14's Position argues that the Drizzay was a noob carrying armada, an alien force of incredible - but tangible - power. Some adherents believe that this armada sprang from species rejected or discarded by the Skolas quitters for their sins.

Ulan-Tan's Thesis considers the Dr. a necessary symmetry to Destiny noobs in a cosmic balance. In this view, the Dr's goodness led it to sacrifice for others, and it is up to us to return this goodness by not cheesing encounters.

The Monist Position, or the Deflationary Position, considers the Bogue as a technologically sophisticated force, perhaps a post-Singularity intelligence. Adherents invoke information theory or contend that the universe is a simulation, allowing advanced intelligence to gain weakly acausal powers by bending the rules and somehow carrying even the worst players to victory.

The Acataleptic Clause claims that we are intrinsically unable to understand the Drizz's patience. In many respects this belief parallels the Praxic Creed, which suggests that we should stop worrying about wipes and just invite him to get our loot.

Certain positions - often labeled heretical - imply that the Drizz is a convict serving community time by subjecting himself to carrying the worst players through the hardest content.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian it brings a tear to my eye seeing a fellow poster exhibit understanding of how business works. I applaud this post and give it a freshly obtained MBA seal of approval.
Congrats on the MBA!
I'll probably get it lol

Yes, player engagement and making money is utmost important to Activision and Bungie, but Destiny thrives on having all playlists being active with people. They want the world populated with players. Matchmaking is a fundamental aspect of Destiny and for it to be working properly, there needs to be people playing. On a console game, retaining a population is a luxury of its own and Bungie knows that. I don't see how population isn't important. I am not arguing that Bungie hasn't done a lot of things right and the numbers prove it.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you, Hawk. Population will always be something I am concerned about on consoles. It's why I don't bother buying most MP games - no point in investing into a game that dies off within a month. Destiny has legs, but on the Xbox we have Halo 5, COD and Battlefront coming out. I already see a big hit.
You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying it's not something that should be a major concern for you as an individual about games in general. I'm saying it's not something that is likely to be a concern for Bungie/Activision as a business about Destiny in particular. I draw this conclusion not from my personal experience, or the issues that I feel need to be corrected about the game design, or the tone of the community I discuss the game in with other extremely dedicated players online, but instead from the actual numbers that Bungie and Activision (or more accurately I guess, Activision/Blizzard) released to their investors and shareholders, whom- whether we like it or not, they answer to in a much more tangible way than they answer to the players.

I cannot stress enough how ludicrous these numbers are. I have been following the gaming world as an exercise basically since I first flicked the chinzy chrome power switch of an atari 2600 from off to on and I've really never seen anything like it. The closest analogue would be the release of World of Warcraft which was at a time when gaming was a lot less of a mainstream source of popular entertainment.

Let me put it another way. Whatever you're imagining the hit to the population of Destiny because of Halo 5, CoDBlops3, Battlefront, and Fallout 4 to be, just for the purposes of discussion, double it. Destiny is in this scenario STILL rocking a population high enough, with an engagement level intense enough, to eclipse the majority of multiplayer games (consider those ones you don't bother buying because they'll die off in a month) that have ever been released.

Now keep imagining a little further into the future after the above games have all been out for months. A new Destiny thing comes out that costs money. Do you have some evidence that the people who have bought previous Destiny things won't buy this one? That's a top concern for the ones signing the checks here. Not whether or not people ignore the release of other games even when there's nothing Destiny-side competing with them.
Destiny is like the WoW of this particular nexus of games
Bah. i need to get my typing speed up.

phen0m24

The Pujari Position describes the Drizzay as a force with both physical and moral presence, an actualization of Sherpa. Pujari art depicts the Drizz as a great storm, or as a change in conduct, an OP that emerged from within and poisoned the Golden Age with questions about Raid themes.

Saint-14's Position argues that the Drizzay was a noob carrying armada, an alien force of incredible - but tangible - power. Some adherents believe that this armada sprang from species rejected or discarded by the Skolas quitters for their sins.

Ulan-Tan's Thesis considers the Dr. a necessary symmetry to Destiny noobs in a cosmic balance. In this view, the Dr's goodness led it to sacrifice for others, and it is up to us to return this goodness by not cheesing encounters.

The Monist Position, or the Deflationary Position, considers the Bogue as a technologically sophisticated force, perhaps a post-Singularity intelligence. Adherents invoke information theory or contend that the universe is a simulation, allowing advanced intelligence to gain weakly acausal powers by bending the rules and somehow carrying even the worst players to victory.

The Acataleptic Clause claims that we are intrinsically unable to understand the Drizz's patience. In many respects this belief parallels the Praxic Creed, which suggests that we should stop worrying about wipes and just invite him to get our loot.

Certain positions - often labeled heretical - imply that the Drizz is a convict serving community time by subjecting himself to carrying the worst players through the hardest content.

I truly enjoyed how you eventually landed on the
correct
answer :p

Dr Drizzay is a virtual backpack of sorts, powered by AI and a mix of caffeine and ecologically-friendly batteries.

(next poll should be the Stab) hahahahaha

gspec

Actual screen capture:

CTD1iDuUAAEIaWB.jpg

It's a little bright. Never did load.

This was a loading issue - I could go into the character menu, back out to PSN dashboard, etc.

I have had this happen to me a few times. I thought it was just me. I have a new router (netgear nighthawk) that I setup a few weeks back has been giving me issues. The router has been running smoothly so far but monday I had the black screen issue you had.

FyreWulff

What kind of internet do you have? Is this also a lot of other peoples experiences in Halo GAF too? How do Halo 5's dedicated servers affect the multiplayer? thx

pretty fast Cox Cable internet, with low latency (50ms) to the nearest Azure data center.

I'm not sure I'll try the MP for much longer anyway - it feels like every gun in the game is shooting spitballs, and lacks good feedback on gun hits and player hits, which Reach had done perfectly and Halo 4 had done pretty well at the base-combat level.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Telesto absolutely wrecks in the nightfall this week with the special weapon damage. Holy shit. lol

So if the RAID auto rifle sucks, I really need to decide what to infuse it into now (it's 302).

Surors Y2 = 290
Supercell = 291
Tlaloc = 292
Bad Juju = 280

I'm thinking my suros?

I would go with Supercell. I use it all the time in the raid.

I don't remember who said that in here, but it striked me as a very apt comparison: we are the canary in the coal mine, warning those players about things to come at the end of the tunnel.
You are totally right that we should never forget the "casual view" of this game, but it's also quite important that we keep on telling what we don't enjoy in the current endgame so as to get a chance of being listened to.
I don't disagree that we're definitely a sort of early warning system. However, I think that we act as if disaster is right around the corner right now RIGHT NOW IT'S HERE OH GOD THE ANTI-RAPTURE!!! and the reality is that they probably have a fair amount of time to assess and figure out what they want to do (if anything) with our warnings.

E92 M3

Congrats on the MBA!

You're misunderstanding me. I'm not saying it's not something that should be a major concern for you as an individual about games in general. I'm saying it's not something that is likely to be a concern for Bungie/Activision as a business about Destiny in particular. I draw this conclusion not from my personal experience, or the issues that I feel need to be corrected about the game design, or the tone of the community I discuss the game in with other extremely dedicated players online, but instead from the actual numbers that Bungie and Activision (or more accurately I guess, Activision/Blizzard) released to their investors and shareholders, whom- whether we like it or not, they answer to in a much more tangible way than they answer to the players.

I cannot stress enough how ludicrous these numbers are. I have been following the gaming world as an exercise basically since I first flicked the chinzy chrome power switch of an atari 2600 from off to on and I've really never seen anything like it. The closest analogue would be the release of World of Warcraft which was at a time when gaming was a lot less of a mainstream source of popular entertainment.

Let me put it another way. Whatever you're imagining the hit to the population of Destiny because of Halo 5, CoDBlops3, Battlefront, and Fallout 4 to be, just for the purposes of discussion, double it. Destiny is in this scenario STILL rocking a population high enough, with an engagement level intense enough, to eclipse the majority of multiplayer games (consider those ones you don't bother buying because they'll die off in a month) that have ever been released.

Now keep imagining a little further into the future after the above games have all been out for months. A new Destiny thing comes out that costs money. Do you have some evidence that the people who have bought previous Destiny things won't buy this one? That's a top concern for the ones signing the checks here. Not whether or not people ignore the release of other games even when there's nothing Destiny-side competing with them.

Bah. i need to get my typing speed up.

You make good points that I agree with, but how many of those numbers belong to the PS4? Either way, if they allowed us to clone accounts between consoles, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Playing on the PS4 seems to be the most future-proof.

And you're right, if the next major expansion is as good as TTK, then a lot of people will return.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't think I managed to congratulate Ocean on the MBA. Way to go, man.
yeah, being sick sucks. get some rest, and chicken soup!

do you even destiny? ;-)

i managed to get the Darkblade FR. haven't messed around with it much.
thoughts on it?
I don't have one yet either. The base stats are decent but it needs a good roll, otherwise it's squandered. One with Rangefinder is probably monstrous.
I'm sure there is some population floor that if breached will show up in visible QoL such as not being able to matchmake a full fireteam when running a strike, consistently seeing deserted public zones, etc. However, I would bet that they're so far above that number right now that they can afford to be patient at minimum through the holidays and see how where they stand after. Hardcore players constant gnashing of teeth aside, there is really no reason for them to do otherwise. They may even feel confident of gaining players through the holidays via discounted sales on the game, sales on the hardware, etc.
This sounds exactly right.

pretty fast Cox Cable internet, with low latency (50ms) to the nearest Azure data center.

I'm not sure I'll try the MP for much longer anyway - it feels like every gun in the game is shooting spitballs, and lacks good feedback on gun hits and player hits, which Reach had done perfectly and Halo 4 had done pretty well at the base-combat level.

I noticed this when I was watching JP stream Halo 5.

He was fighting 2 hunters and they weren't shooting fusion rods anymore, they were shooting these things that almost looked like green needlers, but there wasn't any noise when they were actually hitting him. His health would just drop a lot. Seemed very odd.

Pong!

Neo Member
Does anyone have a normal mode oryx checkpoint they could share? I need to get that 310 artifact for my hunter. Thanks!

PSN: Luft46

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So for anyone interested, SAVE20-NOVEMB-GAMING does work at GMG for 20% off pre-purchasing Fallout 4. $11.99 off, and there was no tax for me for a total of exactly $48.00, which feels much more like what I should be paying for a PC game.

This is the first Fallout game I'll be playing at all around launch since Tactics. In big open-world games with lots of customization I tend to get so overwhelmed and sidetracked that I spend hundreds of hours in-game and never beat (or even barely progress) the story. I'm hoping I can manage to incentivize myself to play through it somehow this time. I think I just saw Jest say something almost identical, lol. But it should be fun either way.

FyreWulff

I noticed this when I was watching JP stream Halo 5.

He was fighting 2 hunters and they weren't shooting fusion rods anymore, they were shooting these things that almost looked like green needlers, but there wasn't any noise when they were actually hitting him. His health would just drop a lot. Seemed very odd.

Yeah. The game is just.. weird about how that stuff works. There's hardly any feedback for anything.

They even took out the gun sway, so in H5 it almost feels like you're holding an almost static--style Quake gun - which makes it hard to get a good feel for your movement. The little gun sway most Haloes and Destiny has goes a long way.

I got the Invective through an engram last night. It's nice in PVE, but I'm not sure about it's use in The Crucible. I'm not really a shotgunner, so that could be my issue. I really like the look of it, though.

Frenden

Banned
I had a handful of 3-4 KDR matches last night with First Curse. It's a shitty gun no doubt, but it has decent range when ADS-ing thanks to its perk.

Range is so important on hand cannons now. If they don't have rifled barrel, they're basically garbage. Range is the only stat that seems to fight the bullet RNG/bloom.

GutZ31

So for anyone interested, SAVE20-NOVEMB-GAMING does work at GMG for 20% off pre-purchasing Fallout 4. $11.99 off, and there was no tax for me for a total of exactly $48.00, which feels much more like what I should be paying for a PC game.

This is the first Fallout game I'll be playing at all around launch since Tactics. In big open-world games with lots of customization I tend to get so overwhelmed and sidetracked that I spend hundreds of hours in-game and never beat (or even barely progress) the story. I'm hoping I can manage to incentivize myself to play through it somehow this time. I think I just saw Jest say something almost identical, lol. But it should be fun either way.

great info on the savings hawkian!

As for getting side tracked, those mole rates aren't going to kill themselves.

LTWood12

This is me. Put probably 140 hours into Fallout 3 and finally stopped. Never actually beat it.

Forgot to mention, but I had a really strange Skirmish match last night. The time stalled at 0:01 and the game never ended. One of the players had 30K+ score.

I had a handful of 3-4 KDR matches last night with First Curse. It's a shitty gun no doubt, but it has decent range when ADS-ing thanks to its perk.

Range is so important on hand cannons now. If they don't have rifled barrel, they're basically garbage. Range is the only stat that seems to fight the bullet RNG/bloom.

I keep trying to use Hawkmoon but the damage numbers at medium range make me want to weep

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Rifled Barrel is generally ideal though I really love my Byronic Hero with explosive rounds. I have found Rangefinder can compensate for lacking Rifled Barrel to some extent too. I've actually never had a gun with both yet

zewone

I got the Invective through an engram last night. It's nice in PVE, but I'm not sure about it's use in The Crucible. I'm not really a shotgunner, so that could be my issue. I really like the look of it, though.

It's amazing in PVP. Great range and unbeatable RoF.

Not to mention regenerating ammo means you'll likely always have it when you need it.

flkraven

Anyone down for a fresh Hard Mode King's Fall run on Xbox One tonight?

HM King's Fall
Xbox One
6:00PM EST

1. flkRaven
2. flkRaven's friend
3. flkRaven's friend
4. xplicitone

Alt 1: Laughlin (6:40PM)

post here, pm me, or add GT: flkRaven on Xbox and message me there!

GlamFM

Banned
The older event with even laggier lobbies where worse loot takes way longer to get, is for some reason rarer than weekly Trials :p

IB is roughly once a month but there's been stretches where it takes like a month and a half for Lord Saladbar to pay a visit.

Expect news about his return in this update or next week's, with the "loot drops will be better" story the week before it begins.

At least the loot is achievable for a PvP scrub like me.

Need that Titan IB armor!

Yeah. The game is just.. weird about how that stuff works. There's hardly any feedback for anything.

They even took out the gun sway, so in H5 it almost feels like you're holding an almost static--style Quake gun - which makes it hard to get a good feel for your movement. The little gun sway most Haloes and Destiny has goes a long way.

But then people wouldn't be able to make those awesome memes about super soldiers being able to lift 4 tons, but can't hold a small pistol still when it kicks from firing.

NeOak

Hopefully the Azure stuff is sorted soon.

I was playing Warzone yesterday and had no problems on my end, so who knows.

No lagswitchers.

I was trying to double jump when I wanted to get into one of the buildings. I was disappointed every time I fell down because I couldn't do it lol

Predictions on the BWU?

Mentions of a patch hitting in 2 weeks and we'll get a brief glimpse of some of the stuff going into it.

Trials will be talked about, but not critically. Just numbers of participants and maybe bounty completions. Nothing will be said about the general opinion of the changes.

Pretty much nothing else.

spyder_ur

This is me. Put probably 140 hours into Fallout 3 and finally stopped. Never actually beat it.

I booted up Fallout 3 a few months ago when the hype around Fallout 4 was happening and realized I never beat it either. Loved it though. I expect to be pretty deep into Fallout 4 - I even took Tuesday off followed by the holiday on Wednesday. It doesn't hurt that it takes place in the greatest city in the country. I thought they did a really cool job with DC so excited to see all the landmarks and such.

Top Bottom