• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Out of curiosity, are any PS4 Trials players going to be online tomorrow when it launches?

Also, do we know if it will launch an hour earlier or still be 10am Bungie time?
I'll be around. Fully expecting it at 10am Pacific. Hoping for a less long range / sniper focused map this time around, just to blunt the standoffishness of the pulse meta.

zewone

Yeah, it sounded like a laugh at people complaining about not having weapon parts.

Erm...ok. Not everyone has that many and even some who did are now down to almost zero.

I wasn't a fan of his passive aggressive tone in that section either.

So regarding those pesky weapon parts...it's nice that Banshee will sell some, but why don't they just reverse the stupid nerf???

Probably they Will. They said they reserve the right to change their minds.

I want a raid drop adjustment. 310 garanteed for normal. 320 garanteed for hard.

SnakeEyes

Banned
"We’re looking at all the numbers. The guns you used. The ways you fought. The hammers you threw, or caught with your face. In the weeks to come, we’ll share a lot of details for how we’ll be refining various weapons and classes in an upcoming December update. It will address some things you’ve told us, as well as some of what we’ve noticed during our constant study of the battles that rage among you."
Waiting for that Sniper AA reduction in Crucible. If it doesn't happen, then everything is pointless.

December Update needs to include:

• Hand Cannon accuracy buff
  • Auto Rifle effectiveness buff
  • Pulse Rifle effectiveness nerf
  • Shotgun "Felwinter" Archetype removal
  • Fusion Rifle effectiveness buff
  • Sniper Rifle blanket aim assist nerf
  • Sunbreaker damage resistance and Hammer splash damage nerf
  • Stormcaller Super duration nerf
  • Nightstalker Quiver fix (also possible buff to super disable time).

Dunno if they're touching any of the exotic weapons.

I like how even you forgot about sidearms :p

So regarding those pesky weapon parts...it's nice that Banshee will sell some, but why don't they just reverse the stupid nerf???

My guess is because they just aren't thinking about what the weapon part economy is really like. Their views are skewed by the few with thousands of weapon parts, meanwhile lots of people like myself are at zero because actually infusing and upgrading takes a crap ton of parts.

GhaleonEB

Things I've been told for highlighting how rude and negative it is to say Fuck Bungie/Deej/Luke's dog's toys etc instead of actually contributing to the conversation:

- You're not anybody's dad here
- Why always defend them
- what's wrong with calling them out
- so this is a community where you can only suck up

I don't understand how anyone can be oblivious to the fact that insulting people is not a lol whatever thing. Internet anonymity notwithstanding it's the sort of behavior I can't get on board with.

Deej your writing is too vague and creates some misunderstandings.
Vs
Oh my god how is this guy still employed fuck Deejspeak they should let Bungie HQ janitorial staff write instead fuck you for relaying decisions you didn't make and which I dislike
I'm not as active in this thread as I have been in the past, but since I've given fair warning a few times, sentiments like "fuck Bungie" and the like will be cracked down on increasingly going forward. It's totally incomparable with the culture and ToS of the forum and is not welcome here. Articulate your critiques, however harsh, constructively. I'm a carpenter at home in my spare time, I like to swing hammers.

I knew they wouldn't have commented on the opinion of Trials this time around. They'll look at the data for a couple of weeks before they even consider talking about it.

In all honestly I read

....In the weeks to come, we’ll share a lot of details for how we’ll be refining various weapons and classes in an upcoming December update......

as

....In the weeks to come, we’ll share a lot of details for how we’ll be nerfing various weapons and classes in an upcoming December update......

and I had to reread that to make sure i wasn't seeing things and I really was. Maybe because they have ALL of the same letters, You can't spell refining without nerfing.

My guess is because they just aren't thinking about what the weapon part economy is really like. Their views are skewed by the few with thousands of weapon parts, meanwhile lots of people like myself are at zero because actually infusing and upgrading takes a crap ton of parts.
Zero weapon part peasant checking in. How dare I actually upgrade and infuse multiple weapons to give them a fair shake, and try to discover new favorites, instead of just rolling with hung jury or nirwin's mercy!

A bit surpised that marks won't be used for part purchases as well. I have no idea what to do with my marks anymore, and it definitely affects my caring about dailies. Maybe that's actually a plus.

GhaleonEB

I knew they wouldn't have commented on the opinion of Trials this time around. They'll look at the data for a couple of weeks before they even consider talking about it.

I'm just surprised they shared participation data. We don't get Destiny population data often, but for the hardcore, no matchmaking, high light required PvP endgame, over 800k players struck me as a lot.
Sidearms are right where they should be.

Converted to weapon parts on sight?

PuMa

I just know that some of these weapons I've been sharding are going to become the new meta in December. What is everyone going to try to stockpile for that patch? December - time for scouts to shine? Back to HCs? Autos?

Isn't that the case with everything in Destiny? 😓

Yes, but people want instant results, myself included.

There seemed to be a lot of negative reaction to the Trials changes, and acknowledgment would be nice, but they'll wait to see if it blows over before they address anything.

And it may blow over, who knows.

December Update needs to include:

• Hand Cannon accuracy buff
  • Auto Rifle effectiveness buff
  • Pulse Rifle effectiveness nerf
  • Shotgun "Felwinter" Archetype removal
  • Fusion Rifle effectiveness buff
  • Sniper Rifle blanket aim assist nerf
  • Sunbreaker damage resistance and Hammer splash damage nerf
  • Stormcaller Super duration nerf
  • Nightstalker Quiver fix (also possible buff to super disable time).

Dunno if they're touching any of the exotic weapons.

YES PLEASE. I'll be so happy. I'd buy another $20 Silver pack this time for XBox (Should be bungie.net account wide to begin with but whatev) if they did all of those.

I miss Thriller when I'm on there.

It was an odd BWU for me. Yes, I know, it's Bungie's game, but I don't think anyone, especially in here says stuff without merit. Sure, some of us, myself included, could be more well spoken about the changes we want, but I don't say them just to be a troll. I suggest changes because I believe they need them. No game is perfect.

I don't know.

I'm just surprised they shared participation data. We don't get Destiny population data often, but for the hardcore, no matchmaking, high light required PvP endgame, over 800k players struck me as a lot.

Converted to weapon parts on sight?

I'd have much rather seen the first week of TTK ToO compared to the first week of HoW ToO.

Comparing it to the last week is odd because attendance is down at that point due to players expecting a change in the sandbox.

This makes me think overall attendance of trials is down, but they didn't want to say that.

E92 M3

Vague promises of nothing to try and appease us.

Talk of weapon parts, etheric light, and wormspore should not be priority in the state the end game is.

HM has proven to be a let down and PVP needs fixing and hasn't been touched. They said there was a bug regarding PVP drops...well then fix it.

It was just so brief and lacking of anything that addresses any of my problems with the game.

Yes, a lot is left to be discussed. Really want them to talk about why zero loot is a reward for a boss.

Zero weapon part peasant checking in. How dare I actually upgrade and infuse multiple weapons to give them a fair shake, and try to discover new favorites, instead of just rolling with hung jury or nirwin's mercy!

A bit surpised that marks won't be used for part purchases as well. I have no idea what to do with my marks anymore, and it definitely affects my caring about dailies. Maybe that's actually a plus.

Yup. I'm in the same place. If I want to actually try new guns I always feel like it is going to be a hassle to upgrade because I have no parts. Marks definitely should be used as an option because there isn't anything to buy with them anymore. This wouldn't be an issue if perks rotated on vendor weapons, but as is the only thing I use marks for is infusion and mats.

zewone

I just know that some of these weapons I've been sharding are going to become the new meta in December. What is everyone going to try to stockpile for that patch? December - time for scouts to shine? Back to HCs? Autos?

Pulses and shotguns.

I don't have much hope of them making significant changes.

I don't think the stormcaller super duration needs a nerf. It's long because you deprive yourself of melee and grenades. I think that's a heavy penalty in pvp.
More than that - if you get killed by the stormcaller super that's your own damn fault. It's one of the easiest supers to avoid. It's slow as fuck and the range is so short vertically that you can literally jump out of the way.
Seriously, next time a stormcaller slowly lumbers towards you, jump over it and glide off. It's stupid easy.
Or the alternative - kill him. You can sneeze at a stormcaller during their super and they'll die.

People just freak the fuck out when a super gets activated and that's how multi kills happen. If a super gets popped, try shooting at it instead of running. Seriously. God I hate pvp.

I expect basically nothing:
-Trials "info" (Hope you're enjoying the new harder trials!)
-Challenge is coming soon and more info in next week's BWU
-Don't worry, we're still working out fix for Quiver and looking at Sunbreakers

replace challenge mode with glimmer for weapon parts and replace subclass tweaks with more generic changes incoming and there it is. We all basically predicted it, but Colonel's words was LOL! Such Good, DeeJ.

Glad to finally have use for glimmer. Oh wait, Trials is alraedy 500 per. I've actually been fairly broke the past week but glimmer is easy to obtain so it's nice.

800K is a lot and shows the game still has a very healthy active playerbase, but it is an interesting number that seems kind of low given that Activision announced 25M Player accounts.

Endgame is something that a very small portion of players stick around for. When Luke calls us the 1% of the 1% it is hard to get a perspective on that when we are surrounded by the 1%.

Ken

In the return of Trials of Osiris, 133,444 players made it to the Lighthouse at least once. With the steeper incline provided by new matchmaking, the winner’s circle population is down from 188,442 in May. Those sun-soaked victorious warriors amounted to 16.25% of the 820,986 players who challenged them in Trials of Osiris.

I'm of the opinion that trials lighthouse shouldn't be relegated to the best .01% of PVP players. It should be the top 20% or so.

Well then.

I don't think the stormcaller super duration needs a nerf. It's long because you deprive yourself of melee and grenades. I think that's a heavy penalty in pvp.
More than that - if you get killed by the stormcaller super that's your own damn fault. It's one of the easiest supers to avoid. It's slow as fuck and the range is so short vertically that you can literally jump out of the way.
Seriously, next time a stormcaller slowly lumbers towards you, jump over it and glide off. It's stupid easy.
Or the alternative - kill him. You can sneeze at a stormcaller during their super and they'll die.

People just freak the fuck out when a super gets activated and that's how multi kills happen. If a super gets popped, try shooting at it instead of running. Seriously. God I hate pvp.

Definitely takes more than a "sneeze"

A point blank shotgun and melee can do it, but good luck getting into point blank range for a stormcaller.

Team Fire is the best counter, but that's true of most supers that have a duration to them.

Ken

In the return of Trials of Osiris, 133,444 players made it to the Lighthouse at least once. With the steeper incline provided by new matchmaking, the winner’s circle population is down from 188,442 in May. Those sun-soaked victorious warriors amounted to 16.25% of the 820,986 players who challenged them in Trials of Osiris.

No no they really did not do the opposit at all. We had boons before and unlimited tries before. Now they actively group winners to winners especially the further in you go. The difficulty is markedly higher and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Pretty much everyone says so and Bungie is on record as saying you should expect it to be tougher.

I'm of the opinion that trials lighthouse shouldn't be relegated to the best .01% of PVP players. It should be the top 20% or so.

Well then.

800K is a lot and shows the game still has a very healthy active playerbase, but it is an interesting number that seems kind of low given that Activision announced 25M Player accounts.

Endgame is something that a very small portion of players stick around for. When Luke calls us the 1% of the 1% it is hard to get a perspective on that when we are surrounded by the 1%.

Very true. Even Reddit is part of that base 1%, despite their size.

Basically, your average destiny player has never read anything about destiny online. Including BWUs and patch notes.

Frenden

Banned
Do we think we'll see tweaks to old classes or just power balance changes to the new ones? Similar to the weapon balance portion of the BWU, the wording was super vague. I hope we get more concrete details soon--anything to keep hope alive until December.

I'd love to see:

Hand cannons buffed to near old values. The way legendary hand cannons performed before was fine and it was a few exotics that have largely been left behind or nerfed into the ground that caused all the havoc. Damage dropoff at range is great, but RNG-esque dice rolls for bullets landing when fired in rapid succession sucks. Bloom is for plants, not pistols.

Significant tweaks to old and new classes. The new classes have a lot more perk synergy than most the old ones. A nerf to Sunbreakers (in PvP if possible, they're fine in PvE) and a few buffs to older classes would be welcome.

A kinder economy. Increased mark caps and activities that grant them. Drop rates on motes, parts, and coins increased.

Double-RNG raid loot removed. Items dropped from endgame activities drop at their highest possible light level. If you want people to invest in sideways progression by using drops to upgrade their favorite spec'd armor, what's the harm in giving them top-level drops?

zewone

Well then.

Trials isn't significantly harder. I didn't notice much change at all in my 3 trips to the lighthouse.

The biggest issues is them not focusing the matchmaking on best connections.

There was a few laggy matches that shouldn't have been made.

Bungie really needs to get strict on people constantly playing with red bar connections.

I feel as though they should be booted to orbit if the connection stays red for more than a minute. Including normal PVP, there's way too many red bar warriors winning matches.

30,753 (difference to make that jump to 20%) is still a HUGE number of people. 16.25% is not close enough.

I would LOVE to know how many people made it the first week of HoW. That would be a good comparison and really help gauge the change to Trials MM. It's clear they are happy with the change. Not sure why exactly.

Shito

You mean nerfing her from the worst character in the game to an even worse character?
I main'd Elizabeth. I know your pain.
7cFYBIm.png
Haha, exactly. She was my main as well.
I loved her mix ups after a 5C, she was bad in P4A but she played it all on the mind games; it was satisfying beating someone because that meant you were being more clever than him. It was hard getting an opening but it usually meant HUGE damage. In P4A2 they changed her to some kind of "take huge risks with your life bar to get decent damage" and removed too much of her mix up game for me to care...

Digressing, sorry. ^^

Do we think we'll see tweaks to old classes or just power balance changes to the new ones? Similar to the weapon balance portion of the BWU, the wording was super vague. I hope we get more concrete details soon--anything to keep hope alive until December.

I'd love to see:

Hand cannons buffed to near old values. he way legendary hand cannons performed before was fine and it was a few exotics that have largely been left behind or nerfed into the ground that caused all the havoc. Damage dropoff at range is great, but RNG-esque dice rolls for bullets landing when fired in rapid succession sucks. Bloom is for plants, not pistols.

Significant tweaks to old and new classes. The new classes have a lot more perk synergy than most the old ones. A slight nerf to Sunbreakers (in PvP if possible, they're fine in PvE) and a few buffs to older classes would be welcome.

A kinder economy. Increased mark caps and activities that grant them. Drop rates on motes, parts, and coins increased.

Double-RNG raid loot removed. Items dropped from endgame activities drop at their highest possible light level. If you want people to invest in sideways progression by using drops to upgrade their favorite spec'd armor, what's the harm in giving them top-level drops?

Will happen
Won't happen
Won't happen
Won't happen

Well then.

There's selection bias at play here.

I didn't play last weekend because I didn't think I could compete this time around, and I'm a top 25ish% player per my K/D. My scrubbier RL friends will never play Trials because they don't think they can ever compete. What you see is 16% of the players who self-select into the most competitive multiplayer mode, which is not representative of the entire player population at all.

GhaleonEB

I'd like to see it compared to Iron Banner. I'm guessing the lack of team matchmaking makes a HUGE difference, but that might provide too much of a window into the active players than they are comfortable. I miss the days when b.net showed total online players in the Halo games.

Very true. Even Reddit is part of that base 1%, despite their size.

Basically, your average destiny player has never read anything about destiny online. Including BWUs and patch notes.

Another reason why patch notes should be visible in-game after install, like with PS4 system updates. I'm still surprised that's not the case.

Trials isn't significantly harder. I didn't notice much change at all in my 3 trips to the lighthouse.

Bungie really needs to get strict on people constantly playing with red bar connections.

I feel as though they should be booted to orbit if the connection stays red for more than a minute. Including normal PVP, there's way too many red bar warriors winning matches.

To be fair Zewone, you are a REALLY good player with a strong team :)

I personally noticed a significant bump in difficulty. I only made it twice and I played for a few hours Fri-Mon

TyrantII

It'll never happen, but put them into a red bar matchmaking pool. Average their last 5 games and if it's red, you play in the red bar pool till reset.

Truth be told, Destiny is no worse than other console games MP. It's a wasteland of latency induced P2P connections.

flkraven

*Update* Full!

HM King's Fall
Xbox One
6:00PM EST

io100

1. flkRaven
2. flkRaven's friend
3. flkRaven's friend
4. xplicitone
5. irrotational
6. ThingontheFloor

Alt 1: Laughlin (6:40PM)

post here, pm me, or add GT: flkRaven on Xbox and message me there!

Top Bottom