• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

I don't see what the big deal is. Subclasses seem perfectly balanced to me.

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

All those red pings tho

Yeah that gif is specifically a problem w lag, not subclasses. Tether should have inactivated hammer long before he kept swinging.

Of course there are plenty of well-worn issues w the subclasses but "complete tether immunity" isn't one.

Frenden

Banned
Uh why didn't the tether work? My super goes away after being tethered yet this guy walks it off.

Also, he's a red bar it seems looking at the scoreboard at the end.

The tether isn't an instant-off. There's often a bit of time before it enacts. It's a known thing that people gripe about and for good reason.

WipedOut

That's a Microsoft request.

And quite how is that a MS request? It's an account request. Why we don't have access to our accounts on both platforms is mind boggling. If anything it's a Sony request since they are the ones that wanted exclusive content.

Namikaze1

Yeah that gif is specifically a problem w lag, not subclasses. Tether should have inactivated hammer long before he kept swinging.

Of course there are plenty of well-worn issues w the subclasses but "complete tether immunity" isn't one.
Yeah, the guy was tethered for a good while. Super should have been deactivated. This is just a case of lag and not the subclass like you said.

PuMa

DEfinitely.

Funny thing is...that guy is probably walking around at that moment like "omg, I'm a crucible god. Look how awesome I am. I just destroyed them all with my skills".

zewone

And quite how is that a MS request? It's an account request. Why we don't have access to our accounts on both platforms is mind boggling.

Because Microsoft doesn't want you to be able to switch platforms at will.

It was brought up around the time of Destiny's launch.

WipedOut

Because Microsoft doesn't want you to be able to switch platforms at will.

It was brought up around the time of Destiny's launch.

But this has nothing to do with Alts. Those are on the Destiny servers. We're not talking about cross platform play. In that sense you would be correct that would be a MS request.

Normal mode?

Well, I know at least 3 of us were on vacation then so even though we're a miniscule sample size compared to the entire population, middle of september was a decent vacation period. I'd be curious to know what it would have been like had it released around the same time.

Nonetheless, that's really interesting. I'm guessing it's because of those 6 mans and the mechanics, it takes a lot of teamwork between 6 and wiping galore, etc. At least the overall gist of 3v3 elimination stayed the same. Also, there are still lots of carries in Trials. Not nearly as much carries in Raids.

Too bad it's KFNM stats.

Well to be fair we had little time to gear up for the raid and almost 2 months to gear up for ToO

Yes, normal mode. I didn't mean for it to be a direct comparison, just sort of a interesting perspective.

Obviously a lot of people didn't have time to gear up, and finding 6 people requires more effort than 3.

Tether is definitely the super most affected by lag. I've seen many times where they will attach to a enemy and not actually do anything. It's ridiculous too that a direct hit isn't a OHK since it takes forever to actually deploy.

One more reason why I play as gunslinger, with the main reason being that I much prefer to play offensively and aggressively as opposed to doing lots of zoning and trapping.

Tether is definitely the super most affected by lag. I've seen many times where they will attach to a enemy and not actually do anything. It's ridiculous too that a direct hit isn't a OHK since it takes forever to actually deploy.

One more reason why I play as gunslinger, with the main reason being that I much prefer to play offensively and aggressively as opposed to doing lots of zoning and trapping.

It's a little funny to me.

Hunters have Bladedancers were the lag usually works in their favor, and Nightstalker where the lag usually doesn't. Feels like some sort of karma. ;)

Frenden

Banned

I'm almost always a Gunslinger too, but I've been experimenting with the Graviton Forfeit. The neutral game of the Nighstalker is super fun, but the super--especially in light of the unreliable connections present in pvp often--is super not fun.

Of course. But your original post was about subclass balance which is why I clarified. Nobody here thinks Hammers are balanced or the netcode is good but it's still important to tell them apart.

Gotcha, gotcha. My intent wasn't to mislead. I wasn't making a serious statement about balance with that gif, but rather posting something I found funny.

Of course. But your original post was about subclass balance which is why I clarified. Nobody here thinks Hammers are balanced or the netcode is good but it's still important to tell them apart.

Exactly, it's very important to know exactly what part of the game you are unhappy with.

For instance, you don't blame engram drop rates for the weapon parts nerf.

ocean

Banned
Sidearms are right where they should be.

I'm just surprised they shared participation data. We don't get Destiny population data often, but for the hardcore, no matchmaking, high light required PvP endgame, over 800k players struck me as a lot.

Converted to weapon parts on sight?

Good, since we think alike you can post why Sidearms don't need a buff.
Let's see if we're on the same page here.

Side arms don't need a buff because before tossing them aside we need to consider *why* they're not effective. And the reason is shotguns having a kill time of 0 with long range body one shot kills.

Shot package and rangefinder aren't an issue. High impact shotties are. They shouldn't exist. Have something like Invective be the max impact - you need 2 shots, shotgun melee, or a well placed crit at reasonable range for the kill.

If this were to happen, Sidearms would be far more viable. It's not so much that they're bad, it's just that shotties of the Matador/Conspiracy archetype hit too hard to be fixed with perk nerfs.

Btw: wish I were home to jump on the train bro.

My favorite times are when i shot my arrow and not thing happens, just a ball of light....

Side arms don't need a buff because before tossing them aside we need to consider *why* they're not effective. And the reason is shotguns having a kill time of 0 with long range body one shot kills.

Shot package and rangefinder aren't an issue. High impact shotties are. They shouldn't exist. Have something like Invective be the max impact - you need 2 shots, shotgun melee, or a well placed crit at reasonable range for the kill.

If this were to happen, Sidearms would be far more viable. It's not so much that they're bad, it's just that shotties of the Matador/Conspiracy archetype hit too hard to be fixed with perk nerfs.

Sidearms are such an odd man out. Every other secondary weapon has a 1HKO sweet spot, so why don't sidearms?

Sidearms need some sort of gimmick, other than always respawning with ammo, to make them a more valuable option. No idea what that could be though.

Maybe give them the slower movement speed debuff the old halo plasma rifles used to have. So when you are shooting a player with them, it's harder for them to close the gap, and maybe they can't sprint and thus can't slide into you for that shotgun kill.

lt519

I really hope it is Wormsporm for Hadium Flakes. I'll finally end up with the 100+ I need right now and refuse to farm.

After Fallout 4 I'll probably have a renewed vigor to do the dumbed down Crucible quests and finish off a lot of the tedious farming quests they'll hopefully have dumbed down and made more manageable. Buying Weapon Parts is fantastic because I have a mass storage of trade for glimmer items that'll feed that nicely. A lot of shards left over from Year 1.

It's a little funny to me.

Hunters have Bladedancers were the lag usually works in their favor, and Nightstalker where the lag usually doesn't. Feels like some sort of karma. ;)

Yup. A laggy Bladedancer is a terrifying teleporting whirlwind. Gotta have that class balance lol.

I'm almost always a Gunslinger too, but I've been experimenting with the Graviton Forfeit. The neutral game of the Nighstalker is super fun, but the super--especially in light of the unreliable connections present in pvp often--is super not fun.

I should put time into it because it seems like it could be pretty fun. Especially with shade step. I just can't stand the grenades or melee. If they replaced spike grenade with magnetic or Axion bolt I'd be in. The melee I just need practice with. Not having quiver available also is troublesome.

ocean

Banned
Sidearms are such an odd man out. Every other secondary weapon has a 1HKO sweet spot, so why don't sidearms?

Sidearms need some sort of gimmick, other than always respawning with ammo, to make them a more valuable option. No idea what that could be though.

Maybe give them the slower movement speed debuff the old halo plasma rifles used to have. So when you are shooting a player with them, it's harder for them to close the gap, and maybe they can't sprint and thus can't slide into you for that shotgun kill.
They don't have a one shot sweet spot because unlike the others, there's no penalty for missing a shot or two. They're the perfect quick reaction tool in a frenzy. Miss your Conspiracy or Fusion one shot and you're dead. With a sidearm you have some leeway, which is great. Or would be :p

GhaleonEB

I think one shot kills with shotguns should exist, but the range needs to be dropped off such that they are 2-3 shot kills outside of very close range. That would open up a space for sidearms to fill a role where they would be more reliable weapons at medium-close range (kill faster with a side arm at 20 feet than a shotgun at 20 feet, but a shotgun blast from 10 would be fatal; must making up distances here for examples).

That said: I don't use sidearms any longer and never fired one in Crucible, so I don't know how effective they are or are not. But that's the role I imagine them playing, but the effective range on shotguns overlaps too much with them.

Mainly because I'm a PvE player, I don't touch sidearms or fusion rifles. Shotguns and snipers fill in all the roles that I need.

ocean

Banned
I think one shot kills with shotguns should exist, but the range needs to be dropped off such that they are 2-3 shot kills outside of very close range. That would open up a space for sidearms to fill a role where they would be more reliable weapons at medium-close range (kill faster with a side arm at 20 feet than a shotgun at 20 feet, but a shotgun blast from 10 would be fatal; must making up distances here for examples).

That said: I don't use sidearms any longer and never fired one in Crucible, so I don't know how effective they are or are not. But that's the role I imagine them playing, but the effective range on shotguns overlaps too much with them.
Shotgun one-shot should require a crit or be close enough you can smell his breath

They don't have a one shot sweet spot because unlike the others, there's no penalty for missing a shot or two. They're the perfect quick reaction tool in a frenzy. Miss your Conspiracy or Fusion one shot and you're dead. With a sidearm you have some leeway, which is great. Or would be :p

There are plenty of snipers and shotguns that have no/minimal penalty for missing.

I still think Sidearms need some kind of gimmick that all sidearms have that levels the playing field.

Mainly because I'm a PvE player, I don't touch sidearms or fusion rifles. Shotguns and snipers fill in all the roles that I need.

Seeing how Halo 5 handles it, you have to be incredibly close in order to get a 1-hit kll with the shotgun. There are no conspiracy D levels of ridiculous sniping.

I wouldn't mind if Destiny took that approach, making the kill threshold an incredibly short range.

Top Bottom