• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT36| Fifty Shades of TTK

Ken

There's selection bias at play here.

I didn't play last weekend because I didn't think I could compete this time around, and I'm a top 25ish% player per my K/D. My scrubbier RL friends will never play Trials because they don't think they can ever compete. What you see is 16% of the players who self-select into the most competitive multiplayer mode, which is not representative of the entire player population at all.

If people don't even enter to try for the lower rewards then they're not really the target audience for Trials.

If 800,000 people tried out ToO, and we know Destiny has 25M registered users, then 3% of the population played trials.

On top of that. .4% made it to the Lighthouse.

It's not .01%, but it's not exactly a big number...

Sure, if you're considering all the 25M to be PvP players. I'd be really curious to see regular Crucible numbers across the week and comparing that to Trials number, rather than registered users in a game that's traditionally been more PVE oriented than PvP.

Shito

I consider myself a pretty hardcore Destiny player, and part of the 1%ers, yet I've never put a foot in ToO ever.
The mode is too competitive for me, and as much as I love watching gaffers play it I have zero desire to experience it myself.

X-Frame

Do we think we'll see tweaks to old classes or just power balance changes to the new ones? Similar to the weapon balance portion of the BWU, the wording was super vague. I hope we get more concrete details soon--anything to keep hope alive until December.

I'd love to see:

Hand cannons buffed to near old values. The way legendary hand cannons performed before was fine and it was a few exotics that have largely been left behind or nerfed into the ground that caused all the havoc. Damage dropoff at range is great, but RNG-esque dice rolls for bullets landing when fired in rapid succession sucks. Bloom is for plants, not pistols.

Significant tweaks to old and new classes. The new classes have a lot more perk synergy than most the old ones. A nerf to Sunbreakers (in PvP if possible, they're fine in PvE) and a few buffs to older classes would be welcome.

A kinder economy. Increased mark caps and activities that grant them. Drop rates on motes, parts, and coins increased.

Double-RNG raid loot removed. Items dropped from endgame activities drop at their highest possible light level. If you want people to invest in sideways progression by using drops to upgrade their favorite spec'd armor, what's the harm in giving them top-level drops?

Luke mentioned in August I believe that they realized they need to look at the old subclasses again in future updates. Whether or not that is coming in December remains to be seen, but I do think that we will see them tweak the old ones eventually.

There was barely no class or subclass balance updates in all of Year 1. Compare that to something like Diablo 3 and their patches significantly can change or alter a class including their abilities, weapons, etc., if for no other reason than to make them remain fresh.

I can't imagine Bungie would leave the old ones exactly the same for another year after all their feedback and what they've learned.

I don't anticipate a huge sunbreaker nerf--the data wasn't overwhelming enough against it from the IB stuff, and anecdotally speaking I didn't see too much from them in trials--I think they'll make them more squishy and that's about it

we'll see if they buff pistols--if they do then hawkmoon will just become the new meta

It's so funny when people use their experience as the measuring tool for how the game is for everyone.

It's the same for when people are adamant about a method for the raid encounter that works for their group so they're certain it'll work for the current group.

If that were the case then everyone has the exact same luck. We'll all get the same helmet when we beat oryx because you got it, right?

That logic

800K is a lot and shows the game still has a very healthy active playerbase, but it is an interesting number that seems kind of low given that Activision announced 25M Player accounts.

Endgame is something that a very small portion of players stick around for. When Luke calls us the 1% of the 1% it is hard to get a perspective on that when we are surrounded by the 1%.

i've played destiny actively since day-1 and skipped Trials entirely as none of my 7 "default destiny friends" were online at the same time to get a team of three together :D

flkraven

It's so funny when people use their experience as the measuring tool for how the game is for everyone.

It's the same for when people are adamant about a method for the raid encounter that works for their group so they're certain it'll work for the current group.

If that were the case then everyone has the exact same luck. We'll all get the same helmet when we beat oryx because you got it, right?

That logic

But the weapon part nerf was no big deal because I've got 1,500 parts!

I only have 40 weapon parts :(

Double-RNG raid loot removed. Items dropped from endgame activities drop at their highest possible light level. If you want people to invest in sideways progression by using drops to upgrade their favorite spec'd armor, what's the harm in giving them top-level drops?

You hit on the biggest issue with the endgame here. The horizontal progression is garbage compared to HoW. The way the Infusion system works does not encourage trying different loadout. It is too punitive to infuse since you lose so much light and an item. If you want to try multiple 300+ items you need to farm the shit out of the raid and hope you get what you need. HoW let you easily get etheric light and use that to upgrade anything to max level. This allowed for experimentation and min-maxing. This is what made all legendary drops feel worthwhile but now if something is below 280 I groan because of how much trouble I will have to go through to upgrade it to a usable level.

But the weapon part nerf was no big deal because I've got 1,500 parts!

I only have 40 weapon parts :(

Haha exactly. I had about 75-100 which was an OK amount at the time but I knew the nerf would effect mostly everyone badly because the majority comes from dismantling Blues and now they give mostly 1 part. It was obvious how bad it would become fairly quickly.

I actually deleted a lot of year 1 weapons for weapon parts
and vault space

E92 M3

Increase accuracy, ADS, And reload. Remove Aim Assistance completely.

Hand cannons should be precision weapons for those with true aim and no need of a crutch.

Nah, beginners should be able to use them if they want. Bungie should just remove the RNG in the accuracy. Playing with no AA on a controller is just annoying. It doesn't make anyone a badass. Bungie has a fantastic aiming mechanism in Destiny that is fun to play with.

flkraven

Haha exactly. I had about 75-100 which was an OK amount at the time but I knew the nerf would effect mostly everyone badly because the majority comes from dismantling Blues and now they give mostly 1 part. It was obvious how bad it would become fairly quickly.

I actually deleted a lot of year 1 weapons for weapon parts
and vault space

Same. Mainly exotics, but I'm getting ready to do the old legendary weapons. I really don't want to dismantle the ones that are impossible to get though (ie. Shadow Price).

vctor182

Hoping for a Wormspore to Flake conversion but I doubt it. As for weapon tunning pulses are running wild because there is no competition either they nerf the dmg a little bit or up the dmg to AR and stability/range to HC (scouts are ok IMO).
Snipers should have lower aim assist, FR need a tighter spread and shotties are ok??
Also, they should fix those damn Heavy ammo values, all perks that increases ammo be it MG or RL should give you MORE ammo regardless of the weapon.

Is it true that Trials is only active in November and takes a break in December? I thought I heard someone say something here that it isn't an every weekend thing. If so, that's kind of funny - It won't be active when the balance changes happen.

Either way, a whole month of current pvp meta still, sad.

ocean

Banned
December Update needs to include:

• Hand Cannon accuracy buff
  • Auto Rifle effectiveness buff
  • Pulse Rifle effectiveness nerf
  • Shotgun "Felwinter" Archetype removal
  • Fusion Rifle effectiveness buff
  • Sniper Rifle blanket aim assist nerf
  • Sunbreaker damage resistance and Hammer splash damage nerf
  • Stormcaller Super duration nerf
  • Nightstalker Quiver fix (also possible buff to direct hits with the arrow but I think that will make the class too good).

Dunno if they're touching any of the exotic weapons.
All of this is perfect. Twilight, I feel you see the game with my eyes sometimes. 10/10 summary.

Come on Xbros and Xgals. I need you! One spot left!

HM King's Fall
Xbox One
6:00PM EST

io100

1. flkRaven
2. flkRaven's friend
3. flkRaven's friend
4. xplicitone
5. irrotational

Alt 1: Laughlin (6:40PM)

post here, pm me, or add GT: flkRaven on Xbox and message me there!

Just signed up on the100.io, see you then! GT is the same: ThingontheFloor

Edit: whoops late response; blaming it on the mobile!

Here is an interesting statistic for comarison:

From the first BWU after the raid went live

On the first day, 777,270 Guardians attempted the King’s Fall Raid. Only 37,591 of them were able to send Oryx floating toward the rings of Saturn. Since then, almost a million attempts have been made on the King’s life. A grand total of 88,733 Guardians have successfully committed regicide.

So in general, fewer people finished the raid in the first week, than people took on ToO it's first week.

How would you all feel about them taking the power level mattering out of trials?

I feel like it's actual purpose is to make sure low level players don't venture in and get destroyed, but what it's actually doing is subconsciously forcing players to use gear they don't prefer, because they think the big number is more important.

So in general, fewer people finished the raid in the first week, than people took on ToO it's first week.

Normal mode?

Well, I know at least 3 of us were on vacation then so even though we're a miniscule sample size compared to the entire population, middle of september was a decent vacation period. I'd be curious to know what it would have been like had it released around the same time.

Nonetheless, that's really interesting. I'm guessing it's because of those 6 mans and the mechanics, it takes a lot of teamwork between 6 and wiping galore, etc. At least the overall gist of 3v3 elimination stayed the same. Also, there are still lots of carries in Trials. Not nearly as much carries in Raids.

Recall

I have some Reciprocal Runes. Anyone want to fire team up and they get something done with them?

PSN is RecallBerserk
Cheers

How would you all feel about them taking the power level mattering out of trials?

I would be very angry, only because I rage so hard every time I see some try hard using Thorn or perfectly rolled HoW weapons in Crucible. I do not want to see more of that. Keeping year one gear out is pretty much all the light level does currently anyways.

Frenden

Banned
I don't see what the big deal is. Subclasses seem perfectly balanced to me.

giphy.gif

vctor182

Well to be fair we had little time to gear up for the raid and almost 2 months to gear up for ToO

Owensboro

I'm going to be home in 30 minutes with a Heroic Oryx checkpoint, anyone want to help me kill him? I'm 309 light and it's the last damn thing I need to do in this game.

Starting HM Oryx. Join on me PSN Jafku

If the spot is open for a 309, I'm down for helping in 30 mins!

LTWood12

It would mean I'd get to use my white sniper and I miss her.

Was thinking how cool it'd be to see pro-mode players using common weapons.

They need to add a buff to guardians with babies in their laps a buff in trials :) We are playing another card this weekend brotha

It would add more players and more fodder that's for sure.

haha, I wouldn't be opposed. I enjoyed playing w/ you guys even though it didn't go our way. I'd love to play w/ you guys again later on in the weekend after ya'll have done your A-team runs.

I feel like it's actual purpose is to make sure low level players don't venture in and get destroyed, but what it's actually doing is subconsciously forcing players to use gear they don't prefer, because they think the big number is more important.

This exactly.

I would be very angry, only because I rage so hard every time I see some try hard using Thorn or perfectly rolled HoW weapons in Crucible. I do not want to see more of that. Keeping year one gear out is pretty much all the light level does currently anyways.

I see where you're coming from, but those weapons still operate in the current weapon balance meta. I don't think we'd see Thorn all that much. Her Benevolence and Matador on the other hand...

spyder_ur

Honestly, I wouldn't care that much at all. Priority has to be best connections IMO - everything else comes next.

Really, the damage curve is so small and everyone I saw was basically above at least 295 so what does it really matter? It would open up year 1 weapons too, not that I want to see Thorn again. I do want to use my LDR again though - miss that gun.

Top Bottom